PDA

View Full Version : bard swarm lag

Beldan4
11-22-2015, 10:04 PM
ok, so I swarm as a bard in FV, gathering every dog I see, and wipe it all out without a sweat. no lag, no issues. However in CoM I get more then 30 or so and I lag insanely badly and get plastered. even if I'm not the one doing the pull, everything is delayed doors, chat, everything.

whats the difference? How can some people do this and I can't? whats the critical factor here? Why is it like this in CoM, but I can pull a train twice the size in FV but suffer no issues?

DarthMartigan
11-22-2015, 10:06 PM
Same issues in dread lands. The reason so many bards wipe people along walls is they over pull.

I can't answer your question except to say: FV to BW to 60

zanderklocke
11-22-2015, 10:38 PM
I can't imagine kiting in Burning Woods to 60. Sounds horrible.

DarthMartigan
11-23-2015, 12:19 AM
Where would you go instead? Post hybrid penalty it's essentially 20 zone kites 59-60.

openwounds
11-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Its an eqemu wide issue, not just the server. Some zones are not picked for much use on other custom servers solely because they have this issue.

falkun
11-23-2015, 09:46 AM
I can't imagine kiting in Burning Woods to 60. Sounds horrible.

I hit 47 and forgot how to kite for the LONGEST time. Reverted back to traditional groups (even with the bard hybrid penalty) except 1 or 2 Skyfire kites before those were nerfed and I did maybe half to a full level worth of BW kites when low-HP aggro kiting still worked.

...I've just realized how much I've dated myself with this post.

zanderklocke
11-23-2015, 12:07 PM
Where would you go instead? Post hybrid penalty it's essentially 20 zone kites 59-60.

Sebilis and Howling Stones is what I did.

I stopped kiting at 50. However, I did do the last 75% of 59 at Raptor Island casually while watching movies. It was .9% of 59 every 15 mins and only took about 2.5 actual minutes of actual playing in those 15 mins.

http://i.imgur.com/xtHpSio.jpg

zanderklocke
11-23-2015, 12:08 PM
I hit 47 and forgot how to kite for the LONGEST time. Reverted back to traditional groups (even with the bard hybrid penalty) except 1 or 2 Skyfire kites before those were nerfed and I did maybe half to a full level worth of BW kites when low-HP aggro kiting still worked.

...I've just realized how much I've dated myself with this post.

When I first tried power leveling in 2012, I thought low-hp kiting was the fastest way to do it. Little did I know until I watched Capi for a bit.

Troxx
11-23-2015, 12:37 PM

Or you could try actually playing your bard?

I gave up swarming for good in the low 40s ...

I wish I'd given it up sooner.

Swarming is mind-numbingly boring and easy (takes almost no talent/skill) once you figure it out. There's a lot of terrible high level bards out thanks to swarming. Thankfully, most of those 'only-kited-for-xp' don't actually play their bards once the golden goose stops laying its xp_pixel_eggs.

Sage Truthbearer
11-23-2015, 01:02 PM
Kiting to 60 is a great way to avoid the question of "Hey, do I even enjoy playing this class?"

Don't waste a lot of time only to find out that answer is no.

Octowhisp
11-23-2015, 03:57 PM
To be honest, I have to agree that swarming past 50 is a painful way to bard. Learning to play this class in KC/HS/Seb/Kael or any other heavy grouping zone is the way to go.

Not to derail topic, but the issue I find is that there is not a lot of information about standard playing styles for bards. 99% of all the wiki guides are about swarming. I have only been able to find bard information by hunting thru this forum and trying to read every bard related post and then try to use that in those XPing groups. I think that we would have a lot more good bards on the server if all the information about "learning to swarm" was balanced with "playing styles of a bard" guides. Those guides could help a lot of us newer bards develop or skills and understand how to play bard better. Plus when the question is asked on the forums where to swarm or hunt past 50+, it is like some secret that nobody wants to share, b/c it may impact their own farming spots or leveling up locations.

I am a casual player just got 54 on my bard and do not like to swarm BW that much, so I have been looking for other places to group and solo, so if anyone would like to share their "secret spots" that would be awesome, if not I will continue to swarm BW, group in KC or Seb, or try to charm kite in WL.

Thank you to all that provide us information on this forum, it has been a great help to me and others.

Aalderon Crystafire
11-23-2015, 06:24 PM
Learning to play this class in KC/HS/Seb/Kael or any other heavy grouping zone is the way to go.

I disagree. No one should learn how to play their class 50+. Showing up in Sebilis, getting a group and not knowing how to use your abilities properly just makes it harder for real Bards to get a group once they're finally able to get rid of you.

Project 1999 is my first Bard experience, so I grouped from 1-55 with some charm-rot solo here and there and I do not regret it. The class is amazing. I've never raided so I can't speak to that end but when XPing we are not static and that, for me, is what makes Bard so fun - serving different roles for different groups.

I personally feel that you should not swarm your levels unless you're already familiar with Bard or simply never intend to group.

issue I find is that there is not a lot of information about standard playing styles for bards. 99% of all the wiki guides are about swarming. I have only been able to find bard information by hunting thru this forum and trying to read every bard related post and then try to use that in those XPing groups. I think that we would have a lot more good bards on the server if all the information about "learning to swarm" was balanced with "playing styles of a bard" guides.

I agree with you there. I learned what I learned through talking to other Party Bards and experimentation.

Having said all that - I probably should have at least learned to swarm earlier on to fill in the long LFG gaps that occur now 55+. Trying to learn to swarm 55+ is a headache and one that many tell me isn't even worth it.

thufir
11-23-2015, 06:44 PM
I disagree. No one should learn how to play their class 50+. Showing up in Sebilis, getting a group and not knowing how to use your abilities properly just makes it harder for real Bards to get a group once they're finally able to get rid of you.

Project 1999 is my first Bard experience, so I grouped from 1-55 with some charm-rot solo here and there and I do not regret it. The class is amazing. I've never raided so I can't speak to that end but when XPing we are not static and that, for me, is what makes Bard so fun - serving different roles for different groups.

I personally feel that you should not swarm your levels unless you're already familiar with Bard or simply never intend to group.

This probably sounds painful to most bards, but I'd agree with this. Bards can do a lot of things. If you swarm to 50, you'll be learning them on the job in KC. That isn't really the best place to be doing that. Not because KC is super difficult, but because you just won't learn a lot of your best tricks in one established dungeon.

Bard is a class that demands experimentation to play to its fullest. There's no good substitute for doing, and swarm kiting won't teach you anything you'll learn in any other part of the game. Join groups, learn stuff.

Tann
11-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Or you could try actually playing your bard?

I gave up swarming for good in the low 40s ...

I wish I'd given it up sooner.

Swarming is mind-numbingly boring and easy (takes almost no talent/skill) once you figure it out. There's a lot of terrible high level bards out thanks to swarming. Thankfully, most of those 'only-kited-for-xp' don't actually play their bards once the golden goose stops laying its xp_pixel_eggs.