PDA

View Full Version : Ranger solo 50+

Hroth
10-28-2015, 11:15 PM
Anyone willing to share their solo spots for 50+? I just started playing again. I picked up panic animal and went through 49 in the WL on tigeraptors and panthers. Level 50 is still going ok, but definitely slower as some of the mobs are too low to give exp now. I tried EW, but the walruses were 90% green. The rhinos are mostly blue, but the hit box on them is annoyingly small given how large they are. Plus there isn't a close zone wall or anything to pull them to to avoid the wandering giants, manticores, orcs, griffins, etc.

Or is 50+ with mediocre gear mostly the end of the soloing ranger?

Troxx
10-29-2015, 04:31 AM
If you want to risk it you can fear kite in WW.

Soloing as a ranger in the 50s (without massive twink gear) is painful. It's possible, but getting a duo/trio going will net you faster xp.

Find a shaman buddy or a group imo. On my shaman rangers are my 2nd favorite melee class to duo with (behind monk). Their dps is fairly good, tanking is ok, snare/harmony is really nice.

Find a partner who's abilities are complementary to what you bring to the table.

Fanguru
10-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Fear kite is mainly a Velious thing.
Velious xp is not efficient, mobs have too many hit points.

I'm trying to find a place in the old world with lvl 40ish animals but cannot think of one.
Same for Kunark.
Some stuff in Kedge Keep maybe?

Swish
10-29-2015, 10:17 AM
is there anything in FV? brutes in FM/DL? slim pickings for sure... if you're a really good puller I'd recommend getting a "monk slot" in a group ;)

Same for OP, while it can be fun to solo in the 50s its also quite slow... you'll feel the burn so hard at 54 that you'll end up grouping unless you're very hardcore about it :(

brecon
10-29-2015, 11:52 AM
I'm going to bet Bear Pits will be the best solo xp. Once you break lower bear pits there are no spiders, and you should be able to split with lull animal. Not the easiest break in the world but doable, and there's a good amount of room to run.

Upper bear pits are easier to break and pathing is more friendly to fear kiting, but you would need to deal with the occasional spider spawn by bow / root I bet.

Fanguru
10-29-2015, 12:24 PM
Rangers do not have the mana regen of a druid or shaman in bear pits. I will be impressed if a non-twinked ranger can do that.

brecon
10-29-2015, 01:20 PM
Rangers have like 2 mana less / tick from a Kunark druid once Mask of the Hunter drops off. The difference is the efficiency of charming vs. ranger root rotting on the break.

Rangers can't harmony in the Bear Pits but they can lull animal. In the upper bear pits you'd need to worry about one potential spider spawn before you get the first two bear spawn....so it's that spider you'd need to root rot first. It might be a bear, which makes it easier.

I've never tried it, but in my mind you need a good bow and a tolan bracer for it to be worthwhile. Obviously some HP regen would be a huge bonus.

After that, you would have a two bear spawn. You can try to lull, and on a crit resist, root one and pull the other away. Snare, Root, camp. When you come back the snared bear would still be where you left it, and you can safely root rot that one.

By then you should have enough space to start fear kiting. I don't believe the spiders and the bears social together, so you would just need to be sure and root the bear if it tries to run up the ladder towards the tentacle terrors.

Ideally, to get away from the spiders and give yourself more room to fear kite, you want to break the lower room of bear pits. But that might be hard to do under the respawn time solo.

While fear kiting, for safety, a tash proc and slow proc weapon would be a good idea. Once the break is done you'd just be fear kiting and that's not very mana intensive.

brecon
10-29-2015, 01:34 PM
Or is 50+ with mediocre gear mostly the end of the soloing ranger?[/QUOTE]

To be fair though, I don't think any class is efficient 50+ with mediocre gear except charming classes and maybe bard if you are kiting in COM or something. Most classes that were able to solo passably through their 40s like clerics, rangers, shamans, sks, mages have a tough time (unless shaman/mage has epic) when the HP of mobs basicaly triples from mid-2000s to mid-6000s and higher. If you have ever camped Ass/Sup and LGUK and tried to move over to Frenzy, that's a good example of the jump.

So if you want to keep soloing...the difficulty steps up with the mob HPs, resists, and tendency to hit harder, and it's hard to find animals in the DB level range. Most druids do kedge or perma bear bits, or you may be able to to WW if you get dragon faction and avoid the ice burrowers.

Man0warr
10-29-2015, 02:26 PM
Overthere has some mobs you can fear kite to at least 45 I think, some of those cats are over level 40.

Western Wastes with dragon faction is probably decent 55+, I remember that being a thing on Live for solo rangers.

Southpaws
10-29-2015, 03:30 PM
If your willing to step away from kiting you can try:

The two bards in HHK Starr Dreamspinner and Storm Dragonchaser until 54. Very easy camp to hold down, if you don't mind the faction hit against bards. You can reap the reward of high ZEM along with easy banking,food,water, and ability to bind there.

Lower Guk by AM is great XP until about 58, I've seen Pallys level all the way to 60 there with the hybrid penalty. This camp is definitely a lot more difficult than bards, but if you learn the spawn spots and split everything nicely XP can fly here solo. I would give it a shot once you hit 54 or 55.

Lartanin63
10-30-2015, 11:51 AM
Do you have a tolans bracer?

Swish
10-30-2015, 12:17 PM
If your willing to step away from kiting you can try:

The two bards in HHK Starr Dreamspinner and Storm Dragonchaser until 54. Very easy camp to hold down, if you don't mind the faction hit against bards. You can reap the reward of high ZEM along with easy banking,food,water, and ability to bind there.

Lower Guk by AM is great XP until about 58, I've seen Pallys level all the way to 60 there with the hybrid penalty. This camp is definitely a lot more difficult than bards, but if you learn the spawn spots and split everything nicely XP can fly here solo. I would give it a shot once you hit 54 or 55.

A few hours hitting everything in sight (or even pulling for a group) in MM and all would be forgiven...I'd be tempted.

Hroth
10-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. I do have a Tolan's bracer. Woodmans staff and FBSS is my dps. Other gear is a mix of fear armor, tolan's, mithril, etc.

I would rather group/duo, but I don't always have that much time. It is nice to be able to camp out in an area that I can just log in for 30-60 minutes and get some exp. When I know I'll have longer to play, then I move to a group area or look for a partner.

Bear pits and WW kiting both sound interesting, but probably not until mid to upper 50s.

Lartanin63
10-31-2015, 10:10 AM
Check out oggok guards. Can root rot/bow em down till they run then smack em. Can sell there with sneak and bank too. Good place to pop in and out of and get some exp. Think they start going green in 51 tho.

Swish
10-31-2015, 11:35 AM
Check out oggok guards. Can root rot/bow em down till they run then smack em. Can sell there with sneak and bank too. Good place to pop in and out of and get some exp. Think they start going green in 51 tho.

Aren't there some Kaladim guards that are good to 54? Felwithe and Kelethin ones certainly go to 54 if you're not one for keeping factions. Not so easy to kite though.

Lartanin63
10-31-2015, 12:05 PM
Ya kaladim guard go higher. Never messed with that due trying to be the good ranger and all haha

Swish
10-31-2015, 12:14 PM
Neriak perhaps? I remember seeing people killing Neriak guards by the zone line to 3rd Gate before Kunark. Again though, kiting probably a nightmare.

Lartanin63
10-31-2015, 12:31 PM
^ good option. Shouldn't be a big issue if you are root rotting and bowing. The fact that we can snare while root is on make it so much easier to reapply root without them gaining much ground. I'll go check grobb tonight and see what that looks like after neriak. I'll let ya know how it goes.

jolanar
11-10-2015, 08:16 PM

FWIW most oggok guards were green to me at 49.

Cheps
11-11-2015, 03:08 AM
I like to solo in popular zones like Karnor: get a haste and clarity and you'll be much more effective.

Pyrion
11-11-2015, 03:56 AM
I have not actually tried it but shouldn't cabilis be good for guard killing? Lots of room in that city, there must be somewhere to kite.

Jimjam
11-11-2015, 09:51 AM
Lots of SK class guards there. Crusaders.

Swish
11-11-2015, 10:12 AM
I have not actually tried it but shouldn't cabilis be good for guard killing? Lots of room in that city, there must be somewhere to kite.

See if you can find a spot where the crusaders don't path - a fairly clear spot that I'm always reminded of is if you run in from Field of Bone and instead of heading towards the bank, bear left and follow the left wall.... sit there for 10 minutes and see who swings by, if anyone.

Layne
11-19-2015, 02:51 AM
bleh