PDA

View Full Version : "Cannot see your target" when spell goes off in cities (PvP) .. ?

mischief419
10-19-2015, 02:28 AM
So I'm a bit confused, and asked this in ooc the other day. I'm told that for pvp, spells will land as long as you're in range and had sight when you STARTED casting. Well, that's never been the case for me. Every time I've ever casted on someone, they sidestep around the corner and it will never land, even if they're inches away.

Others seem to be able to happily cast on me the same way but it lands! Is there something I'm not getting? Someone will start casting, I'll remember I can step around the corner and it won't land... so i stepped around, and boom, spell hits. Ever since then, I noticed spells hit ME around corners in pvp, but i can't hit OTHERS around corners.

Is there a trick to this ? O__o

AzzarTheGod
10-19-2015, 05:22 AM
So I'm a bit confused, and asked this in ooc the other day. I'm told that for pvp, spells will land as long as you're in range and had sight when you STARTED casting. Well, that's never been the case for me. Every time I've ever casted on someone, they sidestep around the corner and it will never land, even if they're inches away.

Others seem to be able to happily cast on me the same way but it lands! Is there something I'm not getting? Someone will start casting, I'll remember I can step around the corner and it won't land... so i stepped around, and boom, spell hits. Ever since then, I noticed spells hit ME around corners in pvp, but i can't hit OTHERS around corners.

Is there a trick to this ? O__o

Yes there is. This is really complicated though and I am going to bed. I will try to answer as best I can tomorrow, but its been several months since I had to explain the bug in detail.

Answer me this, were either of you levitating or had a levitate spell on?

Qtip
10-19-2015, 08:12 AM
Indoors you need Los. Outdoors you dont.

mischief419
10-19-2015, 09:52 AM
Indoors you need Los. Outdoors you dont.
NFP counts as outdoors -- this was actually the place I was talking about, although I didn't mention it until now.

Yes there is. This is really complicated though and I am going to bed. I will try to answer as best I can tomorrow, but its been several months since I had to explain the bug in detail.

Answer me this, were either of you levitating or had a levitate spell on?

Ahhh.... yes, either one or both of us had lev. Please let me know the specifics when you feel ready for it ;)

filthyphil
10-19-2015, 10:55 AM
This is the reason necros are completely garbonzo beans on red. Long cast times and LOS issues. Other casters can simply step around a corner, ruining your cast and reemerge to nuke you. Not to mention our dots being removed by pots and having reduced damage. Forces necros to spam lifetap and hope for the best.

I know this may have had nothing to do with necros but that's just what came to mind when thinking of the mechanics. Game is silly and not at all designed for balanced PvP amongst ANY of the classes.

Rallos
10-19-2015, 10:59 AM
bolts versus DD's

bolts need continuous los afaik

cronik
10-19-2015, 11:31 AM
What Rallos said.

Which is why mages suck. People who know how to LOS you eliminate that whole line of spells.

Even the ones who don't still get lucky half the time.

Kerwin
10-19-2015, 11:36 AM
op is a wizard... not a mage

HippoNipple
10-19-2015, 12:04 PM
If you don't have LoS at the end of cast it decreases range to 70%. There is still a LoS check at beg of cast.

Some stuff outside don't count as LoS obstacles, whether this is meant to be or not.

Bolts have LoS check at beg and end of cast.

miraclegrow2
10-19-2015, 12:26 PM
on live u didnt need LOS till after luclin

ZZZZZzzzz

HippoNipple
10-19-2015, 12:35 PM
LoS and PvP resists have custom rules on this server from Alecta/Null.

Gustoo
10-19-2015, 02:20 PM
I used to pk in kelethin by targeting people and then running down beneath the city and then trying to guess where they would be after my first nuke. Pretty fun.

They later added a z axis check...way later.

Fix inc?

mischief419
10-20-2015, 11:37 AM
I used to pk in kelethin by targeting people and then running down beneath the city and then trying to guess where they would be after my first nuke. Pretty fun.

They later added a z axis check...way later.

Fix inc?

Actually my post EXCLUDES kelethin -- Z axis is considered for range, but not LoS. You can nuke people below kelethin.

I'm more talking about Freeport.

Also, I'm a wiz with no bolts.

Mune
10-20-2015, 11:53 AM
The bolt argument doesn't make sense because the spell would still go off, it would just hit the wall and do no damage. So just to clarify, you start your cast fine but at the end of your cast you get a "cannot see target" error and you know for sure the person is in range? If that's true I would love to play around with this to figure it out. Sounds like a bug.

Mune
10-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Was it near the docks in FP? If the person ran into water then it'll screw up your cast.

mischief419
10-21-2015, 02:20 AM
Water? Nope, NFP away from the water, is a good example. Run around ANY corner and can't see target. Run inside a house and can't see target (unless in front of door).

To clarify, I BEGIN casting with LOS and it casts, and ends casting LOS by them side stepping around a corner, barely in front of me. But many high KDR pkers seem to know how to bypass this -- as they dodge around a corner so my casting goes off "cant see", then they jump back and start casting -- i run around the same corner, but they keep casting all confidently and lo-and-behold, IT GOES OFF!

There has to be a bug that's being exploited with limited people knowing how to bypass this.

Earlier someone mentioned something about levitate and didn't come back.. one or both of us were levitating each fight. I need to experiment with this, as maybe levi may contribute.

Rallos
10-21-2015, 09:28 AM
If you don't have LoS at the end of cast it decreases range to 70%. There is still a LoS check at beg of cast.

Some stuff outside don't count as LoS obstacles, whether this is meant to be or not.

Bolts have LoS check at beg and end of cast.

This.

There was a change to los towards the end of kunark that still let spells land if they broke los after cast, but it essentially reduced the range of the spell.

It's possible you are just having bad luck with this ranging/los mechanic.