PDA

View Full Version : Is tradeskilling worth doing?

Woolworth
10-02-2015, 07:11 PM
It seems like the best weapons and armor in the game drop as loot. Is there any point in blacksmithing or tailoring? I was considering giving blacksmithing a go (as a Bard), but it looks like the Lambent Armor set which can be quested is better than the Fine Plate stuff which can be crafted.

jolanar
10-05-2015, 09:37 AM
There is pretty much no reason to submit yourself to the torture of Everquest tradeskills unless you are high level with nothing to do with your platinum except throw it away.

Gilder
10-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo .

Charlievox
10-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Yes! If you are a Masochist.

Charlievox
10-05-2015, 10:45 AM
The 5ac 55hp rings sell well, but you have to make and sell a LOT of them before you even begin to make back what you spent to get the skill to make them.

Cultural smithing can produce some nice stuff. On Live my DE Enchanter had a nice set of cultural chain mail the allowed him to get rid of the stupid dress he otherwise had to wear. But, again, it was made by someone who had plenty of Platinum to throw away getting the skills and materials.

At lower levels in the game, it is better to spend your money on spells and in the tunnel for armor and weapons.

If you feel you MUST make your own armor, I would advise you to get smithing uo to where yoy can make Banded or Plate and sell it to lowbies for 1plat per ac. Or do tailoring for Studded or Reinforced for leather wearers. And stop there. Again, for what you spend gaining the skills, you could probably find better stuff in the tunnel.

Sorn
10-05-2015, 10:55 AM
If your only goal is the best armor, then no. You can buy stuff like jewelry from people who've chosen to go that route and never have to work on it yourself.

That said, a full set of cultural armor is nothing to sneeze at. People able to make those are extremely hard to find so you don't see it very often.

kledar
10-05-2015, 11:07 AM
wish I would've asked before I took up tailoring

Gilder
10-05-2015, 11:12 AM
It's okay Kledar, I spent my time getting BAKING up before I realized the time I was wasting.

BAKING!

ECDubz
10-05-2015, 11:27 AM
You are required to tradeskill for the Coldain Ring / Shawl quests but other than that no.

Charlievox
10-05-2015, 01:30 PM
There are a few quests that require a minimal tradeskill or two but it is usually less than 50 to 75 but these are small quests with mostly small rewards. Other than some class specifis quests like the Iksar Necro Skullcap quests or Monk sash quests and the like that require some combines here and there. If its not no-fail the required skill level is usually pretty low. Some folks choose to use training points to get the required skills.

Charlievox
10-05-2015, 01:34 PM
It's okay Kledar, I spent my time getting BAKING up before I realized the time I was wasting.

BAKING!

Baking only became profitable on Live when they introduced the Misty Thicket Picnic. Which, sadly will never be on P99.

Charlievox
10-05-2015, 01:49 PM
One more thing,

If you are a Ranger, Fletching is almost a must.
You can make better bows and arrows for less than the cost of the vendor sold items.
And if you ever want to get your Trueshot Longbow, well....

Gilder
10-05-2015, 02:07 PM
When did the Misty Thicket Picnic get introduced? I only vaguely remember....

But I remember the stats were great for food.

Kowalski
10-05-2015, 02:53 PM
Tradeskills are awesome, buy my mats )

Jahdu
10-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Thurg gate pots require a highish level in pottery if memory serves me correct. Are these in P99?

Jahdu
10-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Doh, just checked wiki... You need to make Thurg gate pot for shawl quest 4.
Used to make em on my Pally on live, didn't even realise they were part of shawl quests lol.

kledar
10-05-2015, 03:23 PM
anyone know if and when the #6 and #7 shawl quest will get released on p99?

PuppyNinja
10-05-2015, 04:11 PM
I would agree with everyone saying: Nooooooooooooo!

I, however, did not listen and started the blacksmithing skill. After spending 50p on getting my skill to where I can just make banded it was a little rewarding but not worth it at this time.

I plan on making some armor and trying to sell it to the Gfay area and will see what happens. I was probably better off saving that plat and buying my 9th and 14th level cleric spells though.

Cadryn

Pipip
10-05-2015, 04:43 PM
Buy tradeskill goods from people that already went through the expense of leveling the skill. Except maybe arrows from fletching. Even low tier arrows are much better than vendor garbage.

myriverse
10-05-2015, 04:51 PM
Baking rocks! Needs more frog recipes tho.

Jigawatts
10-05-2015, 05:20 PM
That said, a full set of cultural armor is nothing to sneeze at. People able to make those are extremely hard to find so you don't see it very often.
I got some elven chain a while back from a guy in the tunnel who I'm pretty sure has a cultural smithing character for every race, and will make to order. I dont exactly remember his name but it was like Llewelyen or something, a bunch of L's and E's, and every character was a variation on that name.

Sorn
10-05-2015, 05:42 PM
I got some elven chain a while back from a guy in the tunnel who I'm pretty sure has a cultural smithing character for every race, and will make to order. I dont exactly remember his name but it was like Llewelyen or something, a bunch of L's and E's, and every character was a variation on that name.

I've seen him around.

That must have taken a ton of time and money, wow!

Charlievox
10-06-2015, 01:26 AM
When did the Misty Thicket Picnic get introduced? I only vaguely remember....

But I remember the stats were great for food.

I believe it was Luclin

Pyrocat
10-06-2015, 02:34 AM
Thurg gate pots require a highish level in pottery if memory serves me correct. Are these in P99?

Yes! 122 pottery, but it's super cheap to level to that amount.

Charlievox
10-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Pottery is one of the least expensive skills to master.
Jewelcrafting has to be the most expensive.
Tailoring, the most frustrating because it is the one most dependant upon mob drops, and hides don't stack!
Fishing is the easiest and cheapest. And I find it relaxing.
Tinkering easy if you have the money, but probably even more expensive than jewelcrafting.

Vilkata
10-06-2015, 02:08 PM
JC is a lot cheaper than you would think. As long as you do combines that aren't too far ahead of your skill lvl, failures are few and items can be sold for little less than the items used to make it. Tailoring on the other hand, cost me around 120k to make 228 on woodelf cultural considering that I had to buy almost everything from players.

Sorn
10-06-2015, 03:12 PM
Tailoring is the hardest just because of the mob drops necessary.

(I'm so sad wood elf cultural involves tailoring. WHYYYYYY)

Ronnie328
10-06-2015, 04:03 PM
For new players, just starting off, some trade skills are more profitable than just selling raw mats. A new player selling leather padding will make quite a bit more plat than one selling silks and pelts. But cases like these are few and far between. Class/race based tradeskills and culturals can be profitable though. Like alchemy.

Colgate 2.0
10-06-2015, 04:46 PM
blacksmithing/pottery is also used in the spirit of garzicor quest, which results in a great monk/cleric/druid/shaman earring