PDA

View Full Version : Red Monk

maskedmelon
08-24-2015, 09:32 AM
So since the humor of my last thread on this topic was lost to all but me, I've made a brand new one! ^^

I've rolled a monk on red. Anything I should know?

Starting area suggestions?
Leveling path?
Items to save for?
Bad idea?
Other suggestions?

Qtip
08-24-2015, 10:05 AM
Roll iksar, keep band aids. Stay in kunark til 20s and then move to unrest, mm, solb/lguk.
Once you have enough money get the basics and then save up for cheap mr gear to help on pvp(mr bracers ect.)
Melee is always rough to start out with, if you're ok with that. Good luck. If not, roll a druid/necro/enchanter. Get lvl 50 and start farming plat to twink a melee.

Pipip
08-24-2015, 11:12 AM
Starting area suggestions?
Assuming iksar, tell the merchant across the street from the monk guild, "I will perform a small service." He'll hand you an 8-slot bag. Fill it with curskin pelts, combine, turn in, and get armor. Grind out spiderlings in the little underground area till 6 or 7. Grind out spiders in the pit till 10 or 11. Have those silks ready for when someone enters the zone looking for silks, you should get enough money to afford some weapons from the many higher-level monks you'll cross paths with in Cab. Alternatively you can turn those spider silks into raw/cured silk, but I'd rather just save the cash for decent weapons and eventually a haste item.

Leveling path?
FOB - Kurns - WW - HHK. I can't answer after HHK because my monk is still leveling. You can also go to Faydwer after Kurns and do dungeons there, but those are the dungeons where you are almost guaranteed to run into twinks trying to kill you.

Items to save for?
Haste and hp rings. The FBSS is coming down in price, but I recommend silver chitin handwraps, which are better and are also being farmed a lot more these days. I got a pair for 4k. I don't know what the price will level out at yet, but 4K seems like a steal to me given what you're getting.

Bad idea?
Not really. Monks are fun

Other suggestions?
Join Thunderdome, roll a druid, get guild groups to fly through the levels. Late 40s or 50, grind up cash through ports, farming, camping, etc, and gear up your monk. This is totally not necessary, but if you want an easier path, this is it.

Swish
08-24-2015, 11:31 AM
FoB/Kurns to 20-22

Then either be brave and travel, get a bind in gfay or see if you can find 1-5 others and continue to Warsliks Woods - the guys you tend to meet in Kurns are all about trying to stick together usually.

If you ever make it to Freeport I can make up some HP rings and other JC slot items, MR gear is no bad thing either.

Farm up a "polished stone anklet" if you can, you'll need a magic foot item for CoM later on <3

maskedmelon
08-24-2015, 12:18 PM
Spiffy thanks for all the replies and sorry I should have mentioned this in my initial post, I rolled human and am currently in Qeynos ^^

Is Kurns still viable or should I do something else? Is it feasible to get a bind I FV and travel from there? Never actually been to Kurns, or a lot of Kunark outside of the higher zones ^^

Zaral
08-24-2015, 12:39 PM
You could bind in FV and travel but if you are doing Kurns you can actually get a bind in Field of Bone at the Kaesora ruins.

Pipip
08-24-2015, 01:10 PM
I've leveled up red characters in the Qeynos area, but not a monk specifically. Be prepared to mostly solo if you're sticking to that area. You won't run into many other people until you get to NK.

Although you could go to Kurns as a human monk, you'll have to sneak to sell anything, and you won't have anywhere to bank, given that you don't get FD till 17. On your first character on Red, it will be tough making any kind of money as a human in Kunark. You can mitigate this by buying gems as much as possible so that people can't loot your cash if they happen to kill you. It's a good practice to get into anyway.

Many people go the crushbone/unrest/mm route, which is why the twinks tend to hang out in those areas. I personally tend to avoid those dungeons unless I know I'll have a full group. The xp really does fly if you do.