PDA

View Full Version : Low level Ranger weapons?

Charlievox
07-30-2015, 06:06 PM
Ok, so I managed to get my Ranger to level 9 without excessive dying.
Now i have my spells and about 100 plat I'd like to invest in a decent weapon.
Is there anything I should watch for in the auction window or should i just invest in some Fine Steel from a vendor?

I've always played casters. This is my first real foray into melee.

Nycon43
07-30-2015, 06:23 PM
Grab a Silver Swiftblade, 16/24 2H slash weapon that goes for around 100-150pp. Will carry you till 20, maybe a little further.

Pipip
07-30-2015, 09:48 PM
The silver swiftblade is cruise control till level 20

Jimjam
07-31-2015, 01:42 AM
Green Jade Broadsword (11/25) in main hand with a polished granite tomahawk or something like that off hand at level 17 to provide a useful proc until your duel wield skill gets high enough to actually produce a decent amount of swings. Can be bought in EC very cheap.

Silver Swiftblade is great value for money too, I picked one up on my ranger for 100pp, it's decent. Skills 2hs up nice and quick!

Fzhoul
07-31-2015, 05:26 AM
The typical progression is, Silver swiftblade till 20, then woodsman staff (7k) till epics. A good substitute for woodsman is the Springwood stave (apx 300-500p). Dual wielding looks cool, but 2hd with one of the above will be more dps than most wep combos till lvl 55. At 55+ your dual wield and double attack skill is high enough to compensate against the 2hd dmg bonus.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Springwood_Stave

http://wiki.project1999.com/Woodsman%27s_Staff

Jimjam
07-31-2015, 06:45 AM
There is another advantage to 2hb/2hs. It is much easier to cast spells between swings (so adding utility/healing/spell dps without sacrificing melee dps). You also riposte better and get riposted less. Less damage taken from damage shields too.

Oh I just remembered something else relevant to my previous post. Last time I checked duel wield would still get skill ups with a shield equipped in the off hand, so that's another way to grind that skill. Not quite as handy for rangers since they can't bash though.

Swish
07-31-2015, 06:51 AM
where does a Swarmcaller rank on desirability?

WolfsongReborn
07-31-2015, 08:48 AM
+1 on the silver swiftblade. Fantastic and cheap! Woodsman is great after that but is quite a price jump.

Kinvalar
07-31-2015, 09:53 AM

Once you level past damage caps Swarmcaller should outpace Silver Swiftblade because of a superior ratio, but w/o the proc it is inferior (albeit slightly) to a Springwood Stave.

Most rangers gonna end up buying a Swarmcaller anyway for procs pre-Earthcaller, and it might be a useful alternate to Springwood pre-Woodsman... but the downside being that you're not getting the 2hb skillups you'd get from Springwood to prep for Woodsman.

Cecily
07-31-2015, 11:05 AM

It's a crap weapon, but necessary if you wanna solo. I wouldn't use it until the level it procs, 46. Proc a slow and switch to woodsman.

blondeattk
08-17-2015, 01:48 AM
Green Jade Broadsword (11/25) in main hand with a polished granite tomahawk or something like that off hand at level 17 to provide a useful proc until your duel wield skill gets high enough to actually produce a decent amount of swings. Can be bought in EC very cheap.

Silver Swiftblade is great value for money too, I picked one up on my ranger for 100pp, it's decent. Skills 2hs up nice and quick!

managed to pick up a velium swiftblade for 2500p in tunnel. SO i got suckered into dual weilding with it at 17. didnt go very well tbh

My dex is only 85ish atmo and it doesnt seem to proc the pgt. willit perform with dex of 100+ ? Can sacrifice armour for dex....

tempted to go back t the 2hander, buti dont have a haste item on ranger other than the swiftblade (

feel like i am stuck between a mossy tree and a hard place !

archery is very tough going at this lvl too. miss about 60% of the time. L20 and double attack, should help a bit....well i live in hope!

blondeattk
08-17-2015, 02:25 AM
this a good option at lvl 20 then? if going dual weild...

`Silken Whip of Ensnaring (14/28) 300-500p `

or should i try and get a weapon with 20 delay in primary? Prob cant afford the good stuff )

Fanguru
08-17-2015, 08:32 AM
Silken whip is a decent offhand, but CSS is basically the same with better stats, super common and below 1k. Offhand damage sucks for a long time though, don't bother too much with it.

Swiftblade is pretty awesome at level 20, will still be good at 30, I would stick with it.
With your budget, you simply won't get a decent haste item, don't worry about it.

Archery is based of dex, not your displayed melee atk. With 85 dex you will miss your arrows and you will do awful damage.
There is no double attack for range (argueable with BFG but that's end-game stuff).

I would go back to silver swiftblade, sell the velium weap and save for a haste item.
Keep pulling mobs with bows to raise the archery skill but do not expect anything from it for a long time (45+ and some dex gear at the very minimum).

Does that cover it?

blondeattk
08-17-2015, 10:59 PM
hmmm not quite what i wanna hear lol however i see the logic of what your saying. Will think about it.

in mean time....I was using swiftblade in offhand, and a Green Jade Broadsword, in main hand. WOuld i be better off with a jade made in primary: delay of promary is better under 20 ? even if damage is lower.

Have to be honest on live, my ranger relied on archery for dps, as i had AA skills (was post pop i made a ranger)

AM not used to playing melee with my ranger....hard to relearn it tbh. I tended to use big procs for damage, rather than damage ratio.....had a fabled SHFD and fabled whip from pofearth; fOr the times i wasnt using headshot. I played ranger for fun, and not the `correct way` !

Fanguru
08-18-2015, 04:14 AM
Jade mace and Lupine dagger are the best low level Kunark 1H primary weaps for ranger. With the haste from your velium weap, you would actually do well for a few levels.

Green Jade Broadsword is a very cheap starter weapon, but not as good as the previous two.

Maybe you could try to get a jade mace and keep using your velium weap until you can afford Woodsman staff + a haste item.

Kinvalar
08-18-2015, 06:55 AM
Maybe you could try to get a jade mace and keep using your velium weap until you can afford Woodsman staff + a haste item.

And if you're really trying to pinch pennies Snare whip at 14/28 will perform same as a Jade Mace in primary when lower than level 28 (when damage bonus starts accumulating) and is cheaper. Even going beyond 28 the difference between Jade Mace and Snare whip would be minimal until much higher.

Malone88
08-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Sword of Skyfire also decent affordable weap for mainhand until it procs at 45.

Thiefboy777
08-19-2015, 07:21 AM
Check out crafted and exquisite velium weapons, they may be expensive now (dunno haven't looked) but they will be common and cheap soon enough... bonus: you won't have to look like a nerd with a staff, as they come in a variety of weapon types.

blondeattk
08-22-2015, 01:04 AM
saw a velious 2hander, think it was a swrd...30/38 selling for 1k in tunnel i was drooling, and had no pp on me (

no idea what ave price is, some streaky prices for veliosu goign on atmo! market is very fluid, as folk arent just slaveishly following the wiki data!!