PDA

View Full Version : Pally on red?

Lionsfan616
07-21-2015, 11:22 PM
I made a paladin awhile ago and got some lowbie gear for him. He's only level 15 but im wondering if im wasting my time with a paladin on red. Would it be better to make a SK as a tank? In short, which is a better tank, paladin or SK?

I guess while im making a post, is it true that you can play on both Red and Blue at the same time?

Bazia
07-22-2015, 12:14 AM
both suck

SK slightly less

MaCtastic
07-22-2015, 12:16 AM
I made a paladin awhile ago and got some lowbie gear for him. He's only level 15 but im wondering if im wasting my time with a paladin on red. Would it be better to make a SK as a tank? In short, which is a better tank, paladin or SK?

I guess while im making a post, is it true that you can play on both Red and Blue at the same time?

Yes, you can be logged into both servers simultaneously.

beta
07-22-2015, 12:40 AM
Both are great in velious

sktank
07-22-2015, 01:04 AM
Paladins get a attack disc (says undead only but everyone's saying it works in pvp) and a heal over time spell at 59 in velious. Paladins also get mana free healing items (BP off Trakanon and the helmet in sebilis) which make them great for groups. Even with the attack disc it still might be hard to get kill shots without a group but expect to smash on most people till they zone if your properly geared.
Sks-imo- aren't as good in groups Cuz they don't have the mana free heals but still have great snap agro. Sk's are always good in pvp unless you suck and like yea.... Youl get plenty of kill shots with Unholy Aura disc in velious

TLDR? Both good choices

Farzo
07-22-2015, 01:07 AM
dont expect yt's as much as other classes

Sirban
07-22-2015, 02:04 AM
Pallies can heal your other pally cross-server

phacemeltar
07-22-2015, 06:34 AM
sk is going to be useless against twinks in MR, who are the main enemy on red iirc. being a pally, at least you can heal... get wis/mana items

derpcake
07-22-2015, 11:39 AM
play whatever you enjoy

that way when you inevitably get shit on you can think about the fun times you had at lvls 1-3

it works for me so its foolproof obv

Genedin
07-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Send a tell to Bwell in-game he can tell you how bad paladins suck on this server at doing anything but DA training exp groups and being a general annoyance.

El Camacho
07-22-2015, 12:32 PM
From the perspective of an enchanter I find Paladins to be better tanks, but not enough that I prefer one over the other.

Play what you enjoy.

derpcake
07-22-2015, 12:45 PM
i need to change my vote to SK

just realised PAL can't surprise HT a nerd in group and plug

rly helps educate people so roll SK

vouss
07-22-2015, 12:51 PM
Both classes are great, a lot of hate for paladins on this server but after playing one I don't think any of their arguments hold any ground. Soulfire.

Awwalike
07-22-2015, 12:56 PM
thought everyone had a 50+ of each class

i have 2 of each

Squire
07-23-2015, 11:26 PM
I always enjoyed playing a paladin here, you won't get as much YT as a SK but you can help save your pal's asses, having access to soulfire charges is goog, you can do a 90% res, and LOH is the shit. every one in a while, blind spam is hilarious on people with low MR, at lower levels.

"wwww/g io think the game crahsedwwwww icant seewdasdwasd"

From a PvE / leveling perspective, the heal helm is pretty dope when paired with cannidancing shamans, and you can do a lot more with root and lull than most people think, and as I stated above, you can res. But yeah, paladins do pathetic PvP damage and in most scenarios people can just walk away from you if you get them low enough. Get good at shield swapping for bashes and don't waste mana on stuns unless its a hail mary pass. SK may have wider appeal, but If I came back to p99, Paladin is the only class i'd play.

*now accepting return pixel packages*

Bazia
07-24-2015, 12:00 AM
guy above me pretty much nailed it, you can just walk away from the Paladin as any class whenever you feel like it assuming you know how to play the game at even a mediocre level.

Drakaris
07-24-2015, 12:43 AM
Both classes are great, a lot of hate for paladins on this server but after playing one I don't think any of their arguments hold any ground. Soulfire.

I find myself actually agreeing to Salem.

Pallies are the ultimate pvp battle clerics with a soulfire at their disposal.

pharmakos
07-24-2015, 12:49 AM
I always enjoyed playing a paladin here, you won't get as much YT as a SK but you can help save your pal's asses, having access to soulfire charges is goog, you can do a 90% res, and LOH is the shit. every one in a while, blind spam is hilarious on people with low MR, at lower levels.

"wwww/g io think the game crahsedwwwww icant seewdasdwasd"

From a PvE / leveling perspective, the heal helm is pretty dope when paired with cannidancing shamans, and you can do a lot more with root and lull than most people think, and as I stated above, you can res. But yeah, paladins do pathetic PvP damage and in most scenarios people can just walk away from you if you get them low enough. Get good at shield swapping for bashes and don't waste mana on stuns unless its a hail mary pass. SK may have wider appeal, but If I came back to p99, Paladin is the only class i'd play.

*now accepting return pixel packages*

i only played my R99 paladin to level 50, but this is all true from my experience. you're not going to get many kills, but you're HARD AS HELL TO KILL. one of my favorite R99 memories was having a druid 8 levels higher than me (i played awhile ago) spamming /say going "OMG" "FUCK" "PALADINS" "FUCKKKKK" "PALADINSSSSSS"

Bazia
07-24-2015, 12:53 AM
yeah like a cleric you have to be pretty dumb to die, but you're not killing anyone unless they are pretty bad or geared so badly you can stun them

pharmakos
07-24-2015, 01:01 AM
awesome duo/trio class, though. paladin+DPS wrecks some shit.

pharmakos
07-24-2015, 01:04 AM
one time on my R99 paladin i 1v1'd a cleric that was red to me. lasted like 12 minutes. the cleric ended up zoning.

(not an endorsement or a brag, just a fact)

Squire
07-24-2015, 01:51 AM
I find myself actually agreeing to Salem.

Pallies are the ultimate pvp battle clerics with a soulfire at their disposal.

This, and that is what I liked about the class. Even without a soulfire, as a high elf paladin with like 125 base wisdom, I was able to crank out a pretty obscene level of healing for a non-priest class. The Velious heal-over-time line + holyforge will be pretty fun, but you need to be realistic about the limitations the class presents, 90% of your spells are useless and you have the lowest melee output imaginable, and no way to "seal the deal". If you enjoy a support playstyle and prefer an emphasis on melee, jousting, etc then go for it, but for most players I'd say go with a SK.

Also, see the following post

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108428

bubur
07-24-2015, 02:11 AM
pally superb in vel

anyone who says otherwise hasnt played vel for 14 years

Smedy
07-24-2015, 02:44 AM
roll paladin if you're ready to neckbard a soulfire each day, it's going to suck and it will drain your will to play the game but only way to be a bad ass paladin is to have a 5 charge soulfire for every fight.

roll shadowknight if you want ezmode pvp, all lifetaps are -200 mr base and will never get resisted through velious era as mr is capped at 255 (meaning max resists = 55mr check), you also have a unresistable disease base harm touch that does high damage for ezmode yt

pharmakos
07-24-2015, 03:23 AM
or get a friend and duo SK/paladin together and get everyone to hate you

Squire
07-24-2015, 04:49 AM
roll paladin if you're ready to neckbard a soulfire each day, it's going to suck and it will drain your will to play the game but only way to be a bad ass paladin is to have a 5 charge soulfire for every fight.

i second this. camping the troll sk npc in mistmoore, daily, would suck balls, much less sir lucan.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Zimel%27s_Blades_%28SoulFire%29

Farzo
07-24-2015, 05:46 AM
yah need a 2ndary class that can port/solo sirlucan and mm sk. i.e druid with an epic and faction 2 MQ it to your paladin using the tradeable note.

I have 2 que'd up on my druid at various stages to avoid lore.

the hilt IS the pita bit