PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Changes to Save GMs Time, Encourage PvP, and Improve the Community

easy_lee
07-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Warning: Long post.

First, let me preface this by saying that this server is awesome. Rogean and Co. have done great work, and it's been a terrific experience for me to play here.

That said, this server needs to change. It's become too stagnant, and people have grown too disgruntled. We have a culture of players who complain, talk crap, RMT, stab each other in the back, and can't even be arsed to participate in GM events. We have GMs who spend too much of their time dealing with bullcrap petitions, RMT, and LNS abuse. These things can be resolved.

Most of the updates I propose are simple, but would have a huge beneficial impact on the server. I suggest easy methods to code all of them here, with the administration's time in mind. Being a software engineer myself, I have a good idea of what is involved with these changes.

I fully expect troll posts suggesting that I need to get better; my criticisms have nothing to do with difficulty. I fully expect posts saying that things will never change; I don't believe that, because the administration have demonstrated both the ability and willingness to fix problems. I intend these suggestions to save the GMs time, encourage PvP, and improve the community.

Why We Need Change
Player communities are a product of game mechanics, not something that just happens. The game produces the community. P1999 red has a stagnant, RMT-filled, zerg-happy, PvP-frightened, disgruntled player base. Despite the efforts of the administration and excellent players such as Andain, most Red players are whiny, pissed off assholes.

High level players are disgruntled. Good PvP happens sometimes, but everyone has to deal with constant plug wars, rules violations, LNS abuse, RMT, and all manner of bullshit. Backstabbing is common, nihilism more so. Remember that GM event in Dagnor's Cauldron, where players griefed each other rather than even trying to kill the mobs? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Low level players and newbies can't trust anyone because anyone can attack anyone. They deal with gankers while trying to level. The efforts of high level buffers, twink killers, and general bros are not enough. Rerolling because your class turns out to suck in PvP is common, particularly for casters.

Only some spells are even usable, leading to major imbalance in favor of the casters who get them. Melees dominate PvP due to a broken, unintuitive resist system. To make matters worse, server stagnation has lead to extremely high, non-classic resist levels.

Every time anyone suggests anything, some motherfucker says "not classic" as if it's actually true or means anything. Most neckbeards don't even remember the classic game. I do, and I know how to fix this server to be more like it. It's time to act.

Here are some things which would be better for the server and community. Implementation of these ideas will lead to a better community, less work for the administration in the long run, less bullshit, and more interesting PvP. I base this on my knowledge of game theory, twenty years of experience with MMOs, and several years of experience with this server.

I've ordered these changes by development difficulty. Most of these suggestions reuse existing code, and none of them are as difficult as some of the fantastic work our administration has done.

Get Rid of YT: Very Easy
It's stupid epeen bullshit. Nobody likes it except twink griefers. Nobody cares. Having it encourages plugging and running from fights just to maintain a stat that doesn't matter. And furthermore, YT only tracks killing blows, not everyone who took part in the PvP. For those who care, it's not even classic. YT makes this game more like some bullshit MOBA where everyone wants to run from fights to protect their meaningless stats. YT makes people want to play shadow knights and wizards (who can get killing blows) rather than enchanters or clerics (who usually can't), leading to an imbalance of classes. It's got to go.

How to Stop RMT: Very Easy
This one's easy. Let's take an item which is RMT'd often, AoN for example. Just make it No Drop so it can't be RMT'd. It's that easy.

To those who say that RMTers can still allow the person to loot the item, yes that's true. But in order for that to work, the RMTers need the cooperation of one or more groups. That's really difficult, as anyone can spill the beans and most high level players don't want to get banned by Sirken (pras). And groups are much easier to catch than individuals. This change is easy, would improve the server, and would save the administration a ton of time.

But it's not classic: neither is the EXP bonus, or the fact that the server has been around so long that there are hundreds more of these kinds of items floating around than there ever were live.

LNS Fix: Very Easy
Why the Current System Doesn't Work
It can be abused, and often is. GMs spend far too much of their time on LNS petitions, trying to see what happened. The system relies on users to both know and follow the rules, which is flawed. We can make it better.

The Fix
Typing /LNS makes your corpse appear at your bind point and prevents you from moving, casting, attacking, or being attacked for one hour (LNS Root). Summoning the corpse would be easy, while the LNS Root would need to be a custom debuff (stun + change faction to something nothing can attack would do it).

Preventing Abuse / Spying
Players can no longer bind in dungeons or heavy PvP zones (utilize Timorous Deep code). LNS cannot be used in those zones.

Benefits

No more bullshit LNS petitions.
No more LNS abuse.
Bind camping is impossible, as the person can just /LNS.
GMs are already generous about restoring lost corpses, so this is not a big deal in that regard.
Can't be used to spy since you can't bind or LNS in dungeons or major PvP zones.
Saves the GMs a lot of time.

But it's not classic: neither are half of the PNP rules. Besides, something that reduces bullshit petitions, saves the GMs time, and saves us from pointless OOC text is worth it.

Simple Resists Change for Competitive PvP: Easy
Why the Current Resists System Doesn't Work
Casting a spell and having it fully resist is no fun and is swingy. Having high resistance and failing to even partially resist a spell is just as shitty. Some spells work in PvP while most have stupidly high failure rates. Casting a spell yields one of two results:

It goes through and the person who didn't resist it is pissed off at RNG. This can happen even if your resists are maxed, which is frustrating.
It does nothing and the caster is pissed, because he just wasted his time to accomplish nothing. This is the reason why casters are considered inferior to melee for PvP.

This is shitty and makes PvP less versatile and interesting than it should be. This is some swingy Pokémon bullshit. (Half the mechanics in Pokémon are random and most moves are useless. This is not a favorable comparison.)
The Fix
Instead, make all resists partial. Max resist grants up to 90% reduced damage for DD and DOTs, and up to 90% reduced duration for debuffs.

Example: a spell normally does 100 magic damage and stuns for 5 seconds. You have enough magic resist to grant 80% resistance. The spell does 20 damage to you and stuns you for 1 second.
Formula: Damage or duration = (Base damage or duration) - (Base damage or duration) * (Resist / Resist Cap)
Optional: cap it at the base values.

Benefits

Easy to code.
Easy to understand.
Much simpler than the current resist code. No special conditions needed for specific spells.
Casters are a threat regardless of resists.
Resists are beneficial regardless of how much you have.
Both spells and resists work every time, not just sometimes. This is much better for competitive PvP since players can make plans that aren't subject to RNG.
More spells can be used in PvP, making PvP more interesting.
All casters are viable in PvP, not just some, making the game more balanced.
Same formula works on negative resists and spells which work off resist - 100 or similar. Again, it's simple and easy.

But it's not classic: neither is the current resist code, or the stupidly high resistance totals on geared players (reminder: Kunark lasted less than a year on live before Velious).
But then casters can land X spell: is that a problem? Most of the worst shit already lands (such as Whirl till you Hurl). If you have high resists, these spells won't be nearly as effective as normal, as opposed to most spells either working 100% or not at all.

Fix Plugging: Easy
It's stupid and no one likes it. Make the player appear on the other side of the zone LD and killable for the next minute. Just update the server code to complete the zoning process when people go linkdead.

If you can't tell where the player was going, then just do this simple check: if you know the zone, load them over. If you don't know the zone, eject them back into the zone they left from at the zoneline. Easy fix. And players won't get stuck in limbo anymore, which is better for the server.

But I like to plug: nobody else likes it when you do, and it's a cheap-ass PvP-avoidance tactic. If you want to avoid PvP, go play on Blue.

Update Level Ranges to Enable More PvP: Easy
Finding people you can PvP with becomes more difficult the higher level you become. Too often a group will be attacked by a player who is in range of some of them but not others. This is extremely annoying. I want to PvP, dammit; the server should let me.

The Fix
You can PvP with anyone of a level you could group with, meaning everyone in the same dungeon can usually PvP. This reuses the grouping formula and would be downright easy.

To avoid major level advantages, normalize hits and resists: make players equally likely to hit each other and resist each other's spells regardless of level. Add a condition to the hit and resist formulas: if attacking another player, do whichever of the following is easiest based on the current formula used:

Current formula uses level: use the target's level for the hit / resist formula. Or, alternatively, just remove level from the formula entirely for PvP attacks and spells.
Current formula uses defense: use defense cap for the target's class at your current level in place of the target's actual defense .

This alone, even without the level range fix, would make PvP between different level players much more balanced. It's not fun to have an advantage / disadvantage just based on level, so remove it.

Factions Server: Moderate (big change but uses existing code, very little is new)
Wipe the current and restart with faction PvP rules. Each faction may attack the others but not its own.

Evils

Troll, Ogre, Dark Elf
No monks, paladins, or bards.
Best shadow knights, warriors, and arguably the best shamans.
Fewest race choices, but overall best racials.

Goods

Wood Elf, High Elf, Half-Elf, Human, Dwarf, Barbarian
Every class available, and pretty decent race choices for all.
Most race choices, but overall worst racial abilities

Unaligned / Neutral

Gnome, Halfling, Erudite, Iksar
Weak warrior types, no bards
Best monks.
Most casters have small size advantage.

For people who already have their epic, add ability to transfer character. Character appears at level 1 on new server, but has a token in inventory that can be traded for epic at the appropriate level. Token trades to final NPC for epic (add as alternative to the other items).

Why Faction PvP?
Faction PvP encourages people to make ties with and develop loyalty to their faction. People will help new players joining their faction to strengthen the faction as a whole. Each faction has advantages and disadvantages, unlike most MMOs, which is both very cool and makes faction choice a meaningful decision.

The difficulty of this change would be purely logistical. Setting the game so that players of different factions may attack one another could utilize the existing faction code. Just give each of the three its own hidden faction, like the animal faction, and set to threatening / amiable accordingly.

This could be a step towards solving the problems with ShowEQ. Something to look into would be hiding other faction members from the client, though doing so may be more difficult than it's worth.

Benefits

Kunark only went on for eight months during live, not years. A reset will bring things back to how they actually used to be (classic).
A server reset will make having gear matter again.
Factions mean you know who you can trust. People don't get invited to a group and then ganked afterwards by the same people.
Encourages people to help out members of their faction.
You don't deal with bullshit grief tells just for killing someone.
Factions make PvP interesting, since each faction has advantages.
You don't lose your epic, unlike most server reset ideas.
Will make RMTers ragequit / an hero.
People have been asking for a reset for years.
Would be a huge step towards fixing the community.

But my pixels: getting pixels is more interesting than having them. I've had plenty of years to get my pixels and I think a fresh start, considering all of the great work the administration has done with bug fixes and such, would make the server more fun than it's ever been.
But I just bought AoN for $500: you are the #1 thing wrong with the server.
Why are Iksar on the same side as the neuts, rather than evil?: Because they don't like anyone and had to pick the side that none of the other races like. In addition, because adding Iksar to the evil faction would make that faction the clear best, leading to everyone playing an evil like we've seen happen before (http://www.notaddicted.com/fansythefamous.php).

vinnidel
07-10-2015, 09:31 PM
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/puddy-couch.jpg

\thread

Madbad
07-10-2015, 09:38 PM
holy fuck dude

Lojik
07-10-2015, 10:07 PM
Suggested Changes to Save GMs Time

Keep up the good work

TheBiznessTZ
07-10-2015, 10:10 PM
I had hopes this thread wasn't going to be awful. Be it was extremely awful. All these ideas at 1/10 at best.

Swish
07-10-2015, 10:10 PM

First, let me preface this by saying

http://awwwbot.net/shared/post_media/images/full_sized/62097.gif

SamwiseRed
07-10-2015, 10:11 PM
is that you cast?

Madbad
07-10-2015, 10:17 PM
It might be time to stage an intervention.

TheBiznessTZ
07-10-2015, 10:18 PM

this made me chuckle.

Colgate
07-10-2015, 10:57 PM
100% did NOT read

hatelore
07-10-2015, 11:11 PM
Op is a moran.

Mudslinger
07-10-2015, 11:11 PM
Keep up the good work

Made me lol

mrproudbeard
07-10-2015, 11:25 PM
I have an easier way to save GM time. Step one is not reading OP.

iruinedyourday
07-10-2015, 11:35 PM
I just have to point out that if I culd lns my corpse out of the hole or seb crypt id be fuckn ramboing shit all day - oh but just pvp death? hmm ok ye less sploitable...

nice post u tried http://stephenchastain.com/store/images/icons/3star.png

daasgoot
07-10-2015, 11:40 PM
the fix to lns defeats the purpose of lns.

snufzaimoverlord
07-10-2015, 11:52 PM
This gotta be a troll thread.

snufzaimoverlord
07-10-2015, 11:54 PM
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159089

Check out this novel OP wrote way back when.

Kesrin
07-11-2015, 02:53 AM
Eh, I like his take on resists.

Strange
07-11-2015, 05:51 AM
better idea,make your own server. you cant has ours!

jibekn
07-11-2015, 06:35 AM
OP has made a lot of good points, hope the staff reconsiders a few things.

Bazia
07-11-2015, 07:03 AM
wipe it clean 2016

Gzaz
07-11-2015, 07:04 AM

First, let me preface this by saying that this server is awesome. Rogean and Co. have done great work, and it's been a terrific experience for me to play here.

That said, this server needs to change. It's become too stagnant, and people have grown too disgruntled. We have a culture of players who complain, talk crap, RMT, stab each other in the back, and can't even be arsed to participate in GM events. We have GMs who spend too much of their time dealing with bullcrap petitions, RMT, and LNS abuse. These things can be resolved.

Most of the updates I propose are simple, but would have a huge beneficial impact on the server. I suggest easy methods to code all of them here, with the administration's time in mind. Being a software engineer myself, I have a good idea of what is involved with these changes.

I fully expect troll posts suggesting that I need to get better; my criticisms have nothing to do with difficulty. I fully expect posts saying that things will never change; I don't believe that, because the administration have demonstrated both the ability and willingness to fix problems. I intend these suggestions to save the GMs time, encourage PvP, and improve the community.

Why We Need Change
Player communities are a product of game mechanics, not something that just happens. The game produces the community. P1999 red has a stagnant, RMT-filled, zerg-happy, PvP-frightened, disgruntled player base. Despite the efforts of the administration and excellent players such as Andain, most Red players are whiny, pissed off assholes.

High level players are disgruntled. Good PvP happens sometimes, but everyone has to deal with constant plug wars, rules violations, LNS abuse, RMT, and all manner of bullshit. Backstabbing is common, nihilism more so. Remember that GM event in Dagnor's Cauldron, where players griefed each other rather than even trying to kill the mobs? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Low level players and newbies can't trust anyone because anyone can attack anyone. They deal with gankers while trying to level. The efforts of high level buffers, twink killers, and general bros are not enough. Rerolling because your class turns out to suck in PvP is common, particularly for casters.

Only some spells are even usable, leading to major imbalance in favor of the casters who get them. Melees dominate PvP due to a broken, unintuitive resist system. To make matters worse, server stagnation has lead to extremely high, non-classic resist levels.

Every time anyone suggests anything, some motherfucker says "not classic" as if it's actually true or means anything. Most neckbeards don't even remember the classic game. I do, and I know how to fix this server to be more like it. It's time to act.

Here are some things which would be better for the server and community. Implementation of these ideas will lead to a better community, less work for the administration in the long run, less bullshit, and more interesting PvP. I base this on my knowledge of game theory, twenty years of experience with MMOs, and several years of experience with this server.

I've ordered these changes by development difficulty. Most of these suggestions reuse existing code, and none of them are as difficult as some of the fantastic work our administration has done.

Get Rid of YT: Very Easy
It's stupid epeen bullshit. Nobody likes it except twink griefers. Nobody cares. Having it encourages plugging and running from fights just to maintain a stat that doesn't matter. And furthermore, YT only tracks killing blows, not everyone who took part in the PvP. For those who care, it's not even classic. YT makes this game more like some bullshit MOBA where everyone wants to run from fights to protect their meaningless stats. YT makes people want to play shadow knights and wizards (who can get killing blows) rather than enchanters or clerics (who usually can't), leading to an imbalance of classes. It's got to go.

How to Stop RMT: Very Easy
This one's easy. Let's take an item which is RMT'd often, AoN for example. Just make it No Drop so it can't be RMT'd. It's that easy.

To those who say that RMTers can still allow the person to loot the item, yes that's true. But in order for that to work, the RMTers need the cooperation of one or more groups. That's really difficult, as anyone can spill the beans and most high level players don't want to get banned by Sirken (pras). And groups are much easier to catch than individuals. This change is easy, would improve the server, and would save the administration a ton of time.

But it's not classic: neither is the EXP bonus, or the fact that the server has been around so long that there are hundreds more of these kinds of items floating around than there ever were live.

LNS Fix: Very Easy
Why the Current System Doesn't Work
It can be abused, and often is. GMs spend far too much of their time on LNS petitions, trying to see what happened. The system relies on users to both know and follow the rules, which is flawed. We can make it better.

The Fix
Typing /LNS makes your corpse appear at your bind point and prevents you from moving, casting, attacking, or being attacked for one hour (LNS Root). Summoning the corpse would be easy, while the LNS Root would need to be a custom debuff (stun + change faction to something nothing can attack would do it).

Preventing Abuse / Spying
Players can no longer bind in dungeons or heavy PvP zones (utilize Timorous Deep code). LNS cannot be used in those zones.

Benefits

No more bullshit LNS petitions.
No more LNS abuse.
Bind camping is impossible, as the person can just /LNS.
GMs are already generous about restoring lost corpses, so this is not a big deal in that regard.
Can't be used to spy since you can't bind or LNS in dungeons or major PvP zones.

But it's not classic: neither are half of the PNP rules. Besides, something that reduces bullshit petitions, saves the GMs time, and saves us from pointless OOC text is worth it.

Simple Resists Change for Competitive PvP: Easy
Casting a spell and having it fully resist is no fun and is swingy. Having high resistance and failing to even partially resist a spell is just as shitty. Some spells work in PvP while most have stupidly high failure rates. Casting a spell yields one of two results:

It goes through and the person who didn't resist it is pissed off at RNG. This can happen even if your resists are maxed, which is frustrating.
It does nothing and the caster is pissed, because he just wasted his time to accomplish nothing. This is the reason why casters are considered inferior to melee for PvP.

This is shitty and makes PvP less versatile and interesting than it should be. This is some swingy Pokémon bullshit. (Half the mechanics in Pokémon are random and most moves are useless. This is not a favorable comparison.)
The Fix
Instead, make all resists partial. Max resist grants up to 90% reduced damage for DD and DOTs, and up to 90% reduced duration for debuffs.

Example: a spell normally does 100 magic damage and stuns for 5 seconds. You have enough magic resist to grant 80% resistance. The spell does 20 damage to you and stuns you for 1 second.
Formula: Damage or duration = (Base damage or duration) - (Base damage or duration) * (Resist / Resist Cap)
Optional: cap it at the base values.

Benefits

Easy to code.
Easy to understand.
Much simpler than the current resist code. No special conditions needed for specific spells.
Casters are a threat regardless of resists.
Resists are beneficial regardless of how much you have.
Both spells and resists work every time, not just sometimes. This is much better for competitive PvP since players can make plans that aren't subject to RNG.
More spells can be used in PvP, making PvP more interesting.
All casters are viable in PvP, not just some, making the game more balanced.
Same formula works on negative resists and spells which work off resist - 100 or similar. Again, it's simple and easy.

But it's not classic: neither is the current resist code, or the stupidly high resistance totals on geared players (reminder: Kunark lasted less than a year on live before Velious).
But then casters can land X spell: is that a problem? Most of the worst shit already lands (such as Whirl till you Hurl). If you have high resists, these spells won't be nearly as effective as normal, as opposed to most spells either working 100% or not at all.

Fix Plugging: Easy
It's stupid and no one likes it. Make the player appear on the other side of the zone LD and killable for the next minute. Just update the server code to complete the zoning process when people go linkdead.

If you can't tell where the player was going, then just do this simple check: if you know the zone, load them over. If you don't know the zone, eject them back into the zone they left from at the zoneline. Easy fix. And players won't get stuck in limbo anymore, which is better for the server.

But I like to plug: nobody else likes it when you do, and it's a cheap-ass PvP-avoidance tactic. If you want to avoid PvP, go play on Blue.

Update Level Ranges to Enable More PvP: Easy
Finding people you can PvP with becomes more difficult the higher level you become. Too often a group will be attacked by a player who is in range of some of them but not others. This is extremely annoying. I want to PvP, dammit; the server should let me.

The Fix
You can PvP with anyone of a level you could group with, meaning everyone in the same dungeon can usually PvP. This reuses the grouping formula and would be downright easy.

To avoid major level advantages, normalize hits and resists: make players equally likely to hit each other and resist each other's spells regardless of level. Add a condition to the hit and resist formulas: if attacking another player, do whichever of the following is easiest based on the current formula used:

Current formula uses level: use the target's level for the hit / resist formula. Or, alternatively, just remove level from the formula entirely for PvP attacks and spells.
Current formula uses defense: use defense cap for the target's class at your current level in place of the target's actual defense .

This alone, even without the level range fix, would make PvP between different level players much more balanced. It's not fun to have an advantage / disadvantage just based on level, so remove it.

Factions Server: Moderate (big change but uses existing code, very little is new)
Wipe the current and restart with faction PvP rules. Each faction may attack the others but not its own.

Evils

Troll, Ogre, Dark Elf
No monks, paladins, or bards.
Best shadow knights, warriors, and arguably the best shamans.
Fewest race choices, but overall best racials.

Goods

Wood Elf, High Elf, Half-Elf, Human, Dwarf, Barbarian
Every class available, and pretty decent race choices for all.
Most race choices, but overall worst racial abilities

Unaligned / Neutral

Gnome, Halfling, Erudite, Iksar
Weak warrior types, no bards
Best monks.
Most casters have small size advantage.

For people who already have their epic, add ability to transfer character. Character appears at level 1 on new server, but has a token in inventory that can be traded for epic at the appropriate level. Token trades to final NPC for epic (add as alternative to the other items).

Why Faction PvP?
Faction PvP encourages people to make ties with and develop loyalty to their faction. People will help new players joining their faction to strengthen the faction as a whole. Each faction has advantages and disadvantages, unlike most MMOs, which is both very cool and makes faction choice a meaningful decision.

The difficulty of this change would be purely logistical. Setting the game so that players of different factions may attack one another could utilize the existing faction code. Just give each of the three its own hidden faction, like the animal faction, and set to threatening / amiable accordingly.

This could be a step towards solving the problems with ShowEQ. Something to look into would be hiding other faction members from the client, though doing so may be more difficult than it's worth.

Benefits

Kunark only went on for eight months during live, not years. A reset will bring things back to how they actually used to be (classic).
A server reset will make having gear matter again.
Factions mean you know who you can trust. People don't get invited to a group and then ganked afterwards by the same people.
Encourages people to help out members of their faction.
You don't deal with bullshit grief tells just for killing someone.
Factions make PvP interesting, since each faction has advantages.
You don't lose your epic, unlike most server reset ideas.
Will make RMTers ragequit / an hero.
People have been asking for a reset for years.
Would be a huge step towards fixing the community.

But my pixels: getting pixels is more interesting than having them. I've had plenty of years to get my pixels and I think a fresh start, considering all of the great work the administration has done with bug fixes and such, would make the server more fun than it's ever been.
But I just bought AoN for $500: you are the #1 thing wrong with the server.
Why are Iksar on the same side as the neuts, rather than evil?: Because they don't like anyone and had to pick the side that none of the other races like. In addition, because adding Iksar to the evil faction would make that faction the clear best, leading to everyone playing an evil like we've seen happen before (http://www.notaddicted.com/fansythefamous.php).
One fix would be to ban you off the forum for boring me

bubur
07-11-2015, 01:19 PM
there is at least 1 good idea in there

but mostly unclassic spooky stuff

iksars with erudites. just what are you tryina say

Pumped
07-11-2015, 01:24 PM
another idiot who wants people to do what he thinks

all stupid ideas too

lurok1
07-11-2015, 02:21 PM
All great ideas but probably beyond the scope of this project. Come play www.darkageofcamelot.com 14 day trial and see what pvp wo plugging in an atmosphere of pretty damn balanced classes.

milsorgen
07-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Bring Back Teams 2016

iiNGloriouS
07-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Worst post of 2015 so far.

Madbad
07-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Worst post of 2015 so far.

Itap
07-11-2015, 04:19 PM

fuck, you nailed it swish

bravo

Nibblewitz
07-11-2015, 04:55 PM
This is some swingy Pokémon bullshit.

easy_lee
07-12-2015, 01:53 PM
I don't really expect all, or any, of these to be implemented. These are just my ideas for fixing the shit that's happened to the server over the past years. Perhaps one of my ideas will give our administration an idea.

Regardless, the general reply to this thread proved my point about the community. Thanks guys.

Slathar
07-12-2015, 01:53 PM
NO

NEXT

Fael
07-12-2015, 02:14 PM
OP is clearly trolling.

Props to him for maintaining the act in face of public ridicule.

Gustoo
07-13-2015, 04:22 PM

\thread

Seltius
07-13-2015, 04:53 PM

\thread

Stare at that long enough and it almost looks like he sighs.

I lol in my office just now over that. Think my boss heard me.. No laughing in the Office Place.

Genedin
07-13-2015, 05:27 PM
I like most of these ideas. The /lns isnt going to work but resists are really bad. Melee hit more often and harder, yet casters are almost useless unless you are a wizard or an enchanter.

Guido
07-13-2015, 05:35 PM
stopped reading at remove YT

theres a blue server

enjoy.

easy_lee
07-13-2015, 05:45 PM
stopped reading at remove YT

theres a blue server

enjoy.
The only purpose of YT is for faggots to pras all over ooc and encourage epeen measuring contests. It makes people get upset over getting ganked, makes people want to run from PvP fights instead of stand and fight, for fear of a stat that doesn't matter. It makes people disproportionately play classes that can get kills as opposed to ones who can't, leading to a shortage of some classes on the server. It leads to plugging. It makes it harder to find real PvP because people don't want to get YT'd.

It's not even fucking classic. It goes against the entire p1999 project.

People who think YT matters are the server's third biggest problem, right behind RMTers and people using AoN (the "N" doesn't stand for necropotence).

Genedin
07-13-2015, 05:53 PM
The only purpose of YT is for faggots to pras all over ooc and encourage epeen measuring contests. It makes people get upset over getting ganked, makes people want to run from PvP fights instead of stand and fight, for fear of a stat that doesn't matter. It makes people disproportionately play classes that can get kills as opposed to ones who can't, leading to a shortage of some classes on the server. It leads to plugging. It makes it harder to find real PvP because people don't want to get YT'd.

It's not even fucking classic. It goes against the entire p1999 project.

People who think YT matters are the server's third biggest problem, right behind RMTers and people using AoN (the "N" doesn't stand for necropotence).

Kergan
07-13-2015, 06:01 PM
YT has nothing to do with people not wanting to die. It is the fact you die and incur a potentially long CR.

You want more PVP? Have people spawn with full gear at their bind when they die in PVP. Easily abusable for free translocates and what not but hey if its PVP you're after there is your solution.

Deliverator
07-13-2015, 06:07 PM
I like the whole "Congrats you're 40, enjoy getting raped by 60s have a great day" because the expand level range thing won't just lead to huge numbers of bored top geared 60s trolling through CoM or Solb or KC or wherever the hell else to gank every healer and caster they find for the lulz

Guido
07-13-2015, 06:09 PM
like I said if you cant handle red

there is a blue button

enjoy.

deathpanel
07-13-2015, 06:17 PM

there is a blue button

enjoy.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=a49sn&s=8

easy_lee
07-13-2015, 06:53 PM
I like the whole "Congrats you're 40, enjoy getting raped by 60s have a great day" because the expand level range thing won't just lead to huge numbers of bored top geared 60s trolling through CoM or Solb or KC or wherever the hell else to gank every healer and caster they find for the lulz

Sounds to me like you can't handle red.

Tradesonred
07-14-2015, 10:28 AM
I would love a 20 level range implement for a solid 6 months so server can go back to single digit player pop around 4am. Then wipe would maybe be an option.

Im sorry you must mix good ideas (Wipe, No YT) with terrible ideas (/LNS, Team server, more pvp lvl range)

More range is good in games like WoW because a 27 can still have an effect on a vs 53 fight, in EQ he/she cant.

Personally i dont think id start over again but itd be funny to watch people like Kergan fly off the handle over a wipe.

Actually, thinking it through, this might lead to some tragedies, dont do it.

https://goodquillhunting.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/000-3d-model-mace_01.jpg

Tradesonred
07-14-2015, 10:31 AM
My TLDR when i still gave a shit about server

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138880

heartbrand
07-14-2015, 10:35 AM
ya nothing like the days of epic wizards one shotting people in CoM from on top of the houses

Circa.
07-14-2015, 10:45 AM

there is a blue button

enjoy.

Tradesonred
07-14-2015, 10:48 AM
I love the are you a man, or are you a woman type of argumentation

Cant handle a wipe? Go back to blue

Your sisters dog died and you feel sorry for her? Go back to blue

Cant handle a 1-60 range? Go back to blue

Dont agree with me? Go back to blue

SamwiseRed
07-14-2015, 10:52 AM
getting hit in the face with ice comet at level 41, naw no thanks. I agree there is a problem though. if the community wasn't full of psychos, I'd say 46-60 should be its own pvp range. if you are high enough to raid, you are high enough to contest but I know even then, it would be grief city. EQ just has too many ways to exploit level range and shit.

KC either needs to be FFA or 46+. I am sorry but it's true. This would allow newbs to evac out of there that are too lazy to run to droga but still keep OOR healers and low level epic mages from farming shit uncontested.

unclassic but I also think the GMS need to wall off the super block, or at least remove binding from there. its fuckin dumb.

Eslade
07-14-2015, 10:52 AM
people can't understand you and the sentences that they do understand sound retarded? go back to blue.

easy_lee
07-14-2015, 11:01 AM
people can't understand you and the sentences that they do understand sound retarded?

Was that a question?

Eslade
07-14-2015, 11:14 AM
Was that a question?

is this a question?

SamwiseRed
07-14-2015, 11:57 AM
1-45 = 5 level range so at 45 you can be attacked by players from 40 - 50

46-52 = 6 level range so at 46 you can be attacked by players from 41 - 52 (only 4 down at 46)
at 52 you can be attacked by players from 46 to 58

53-60 = 7 level range so at 53 you can be attacked by players from 47 - (only 6 down at 53)

or just do brackets if you really want to make it simple. 46-52 being its own brackets. 53-60 being its own bracket. lower level can stay the same.

Pumped
07-14-2015, 12:07 PM
pvp range should be zone based

SamwiseRed
07-14-2015, 12:18 PM
that would be optimal but would require a lot more coding. just make it brackets since you will generally be leveling with people in your range, its better to know if you group is in the same bracket, your lowest or highest member cant be sniped by a guy out of range to the rest of your group.

46-52 generally level together anyway. CoM for instance you generally have a 40-45 group around ent and stables while 46-52 hit up arena and moat. 53+ go on top.

53-60 should definitely be in range of each other. aside from FFA zones like planes, 53-60 will generally be contesting the same shit for xp and drops.

if that is too hard to code then I say just make 46-60 in range of each other everywhere period. this would end all this zone by zone level range difference BS. 46+ is end game, if you dont want to be part of it then stay 45.