PDA

View Full Version : New to EQ PvP

Lookingforrez
07-01-2015, 08:32 PM
Hey I am planning to start up a character on R99 and was hoping to get some feedback about class selection. I am interested in trying out a Paladin, SK or Ranger. Can someone give me a quick rundown of how these classes perform in respect to PvP?

Any other general advice would also be appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Mr Popo
07-01-2015, 08:57 PM
If you want to minmax then probably, of the options you put up, ogre or troll SK will give the best results. Realistically if you are new to the server most of your pvp experience will be getting ganked by pkers you stand no chance versus, or slap fighting against other undergeared nooblets. SK is not really a noob friendly class as you need a lot of $s worth of armor and weapons to be truly effective.

The most minmax 1st pvp character (imo and much of this is regurgitating other's posts) is either a halfling druid or human wizard. Both have way better exp bonus/lack of penalty. Your ogre/troll SK is going to take forever to level and both human/halflings have exp bonuses. Druids and Wizards both can pvp reasonably without gear if they pick their targets correctly. Note that magic resist for twinked gankers is insane on this server, so don't expect to ever kill a well geared character, or even defend yourself for that matter... but your SK/Rang/Pall wasn't going to be able to fight a pker anyway. Both druid/wizard can gate and druids sow probably stands the best chance to escape an attack. To boot, wiz/druid can both port which will give much needed $ since the economy on this server is fucked as hell for new characters.

/opinion of a guy who has never end gamed EQ ever lol

raka
07-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Ranger terrible pvp unless u get wind striker (for mass pvp, u will still suck 1v1) Sk good cause HT. paladins don't die.

If you are starting naked I suggest Druid or shmn for ease of entry.

All classes pretty equal. Play what u want and fuck.

raka
07-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Mr poopoo said it well. Double post. Just one wipe Charlied this biach

Lookingforrez
07-01-2015, 09:06 PM
Hmm, well from the sounds of it, it's probably not worth starting out a character if the primary gaming experience will be getting rolled by some guy in end game gear.

Maybe I'll mess around with a character when I am bored or can't find a group on blue.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Mr Popo
07-01-2015, 09:10 PM
Hmm that changes things a bit if you have money on blue. You can mbe trade blue for read and get some gear. Then your SK won't be too bad at all. Priority to a 2hd weapon of some sort then magic resist gear.

Strange
07-01-2015, 09:26 PM
Hey I am planning to start up a character on R99 and was hoping to get some feedback about class selection. I am interested in trying out a Paladin, SK or Ranger. Can someone give me a quick rundown of how these classes perform in respect to PvP?

Any other general advice would also be appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

of the 3 classes i pick SK,because i am an SK :p

but velious is coming out soon and paladins get better and have a good Heal over Time spell,if you like to play support melee type.

id be a dwarf pally or ogre/troll sk

Qtip
07-01-2015, 09:26 PM
Roll whatever class you want, but ranger. Yes you will get killed sometimes. You're new to this server and people who have played here longer will most likely have the advantage.

finasterra1
07-01-2015, 09:29 PM
It's really not pvp server, its a griefing server, who can grief who the most with out getting a ban, including bind camping, lns violations, naked kills, exp deaths, or just general harassment to waste your time if all else fails. The more you can piss someone else off, with out taking a ban, the better a pvper you are in the eyes of the killers, and to more of a nerd you are in the eyes of the victims.

Sirban
07-02-2015, 02:08 AM
gnome warrior, all stats in CHA

Drakaris
07-02-2015, 02:56 AM
If you want a melee, you should probably go Rogue - easy epic, good variety of gear, most reliable snares in the game and great on the raid scene.

If you want a caster, definitely an assling druid or humie wiz.

Also, do not underestimate the value of a skilled battle-cleric in pvp, you will keep people alive and completely destroy the opposition in group pvp by doing so.

PVP Cleric
07-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Hmm, well from the sounds of it, it's probably not worth starting out a character if the primary gaming experience will be getting rolled by some guy in end game gear.

It's frustrating to die to someone who created and twinked a character that exists solely to gank ungeared lowbies. But it's a very small part of the overall experience on red. Generally the people who are leveling up work together to XP and only rarely fight each other.

My main on red is a 53 cleric. I leveled him in crushbone, unrest, mistmoore, lguk, com, basically all of the zones that are busy and that gankers like to hang out in, and I've only died like 8 or 10 times total. Gankers only truly ruined a group I was in maybe 2-3 times across 50 levels.

Magikarp
07-02-2015, 09:20 AM
ignore negativity on forums.

delete internet browser and start whatever char you want. learn ingame

Tulnavara
07-02-2015, 05:11 PM
It's not that bad. Had a group in CB rolled by a pair of twink rangers. They all ran and plugged while I fought and died but that's part of the fun you know? I don't have shit for play time but I'd rather spend it enjoying the game than waiting in line like you do on the blue server.

Forgot to add, made a rogue as first character. IDGAF. Play what you want, rogue is what I enjoyed on Live when I primarily raided during Velious so that's what I want to play again. Found out I suck at jousting though. ;)

Skrimp
07-02-2015, 06:57 PM
As someone said, the geared lower level characters made specifically to destroy other low level players exist, but it is not a big issue. In the last two weeks I leveled a Shaman to 46 without any issues at all. Play whatever you want.

Worst case scenario, play a class that can easily make some plat and then gear up your own hybrid twink?

ducktv
07-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Easy Steps to PvP on R99

1. Make rogue
2. Get Ragebringer and Skean
3. bind backstab to a key
4. Lev cloak
5. jboots
6. MR MR MR MR.
7. become the best.
8. brag about how good you are on the easiest class for maximum grief

Lookingforrez
07-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna stick to blue and other games, red seems like a waste of time. Maybe if a fresh server came out that disabled MQ I'd try it out.

sktank
07-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Stick to blue? Bad decision imo. Red is awesom because most every camp/zone is open at low levels and your able to fight for camps if need be. Trust me it's nice being in zones that aren't overcrowded
As for your class selection.... All are bad for a first character imo. Tanks are very gear dependent so you won't thrive at tanking or pvp until you get gear/save up money. Best choices for first class would easily be a caster. Necro, druid, shaman, mage, ench. Save up money and get gear for a melee
As for the MQ.. I don't hack and not everyone does (as far as I know). It's defenetley not nearly as bad as on live. People aren't warping/instagating in pvp or have no delay weapons (I've experianced fighting people doing this on live) this server is nothing compaired to that. Very fun server, give it a try
*btw I've been on this server for about 2.5 years and I have 4 characters with epics heuheuheu

PVP Cleric
07-03-2015, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna stick to blue and other games, red seems like a waste of time. Maybe if a fresh server came out that disabled MQ I'd try it out.

Give red another thought, imo. In many ways, this server feels much more like a "classic experience" than blue does. Lower pop and occasional ganks? Yes. But group xp bonus and lots of players starting fresh and the server not as old means you have groups of people leveling up with fine steel weapons and 160 int and unable to afford all of their spells and stuff. It's fun :)

Magikarp
07-03-2015, 04:50 PM
rolled for 2 days and witnessed mq enough to give up? what does op know that i dont?

Pumped
07-03-2015, 04:55 PM
nothing about either server feels classic at all

Madbad
07-03-2015, 04:58 PM
rolled for 2 days and witnessed mq enough to give up? what does op know that i dont?

i think he mean multi quested epics

Magikarp
07-03-2015, 05:10 PM
o

http://i.imgur.com/apRp7TQ.gif

thx2swish4gif

Lookingforrez
07-03-2015, 10:24 PM
I decided to give it another chance, leveling up a Halfling Cleric, shelfing my Troll SK.

PVP Cleric
07-03-2015, 11:54 PM
I decided to give it another chance, leveling up a Halfling Cleric, shelfing my Troll SK.

Nice!

Remember that even though you're a cleric, sometimes you won't have people sending you a tell asking you to come heal them. Make a friends list, and don't be afraid to put together a group yourself. Also, if you want to, you can get some xp soloing undead. I actually preferred solo to group from like 25-40 because unrest is great and hags go down quick, especially once you get the new nuke at 34.

Eslade
07-04-2015, 01:16 AM
if you're doing hags, learn how to lull and jump off the balcony and zone out if it gets resisted. otherwise you're going to have a bad time.