PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Double bolts + Zonewide magician bolt nukes classic SCREEN SHOTS INCLUDED

ElemtalRZ
06-29-2015, 04:15 AM
Found it, the elusive double bolts and the magician zone wide bolt nukes. SO much information on magician from these screen shots.

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/eq/eq.htm

Kinvalar
07-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Mostly confirmable Luclin pictures (can't tell on the first few). As far as the zone-wide bolts... I took his picture comment to mean you can see them across part of a zone, not across an entire zone.

Haynar
07-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Prove that they aren't kill shots when this happens.

Death message has what will show as damage too. So send a dmg packet and a death message at same time, looks like double damage.

Based on what I see in these, where it always is either a kill shot or scrolled up to show double damage, I am gonna say BS. There never was a double damage. It was a bug since bolt damage is delayed and is controller based origin.

I can put in the dislayed double damage bug for bolts on kill shots tho.

Gonna have to vote against this. There never was double damage from bolts. It was a display bug.

H

SamwiseRed
07-02-2015, 03:15 PM
I thought double bolts was due to a bug that had to do with being elevated above the target. As for whether someone took double dmg, I do not recall. I think it did work on mobs for a period of time though. Could be wrong. Probably am. Either way it is a retarded bug that shouldn't be implemented.

ElemtalRZ
07-03-2015, 05:59 AM
Here is some more evidence

http://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/eq/t-3834.html

"Kunark... again I disagree with your thoughs. Magicians get a bolt exactly as efficient as the druid nuke, if you discount double hits and the two classes are put on basically equal nuke footing."

They are comparing magician damage and druid damage. If druids could double nuke they wouldn't be saying "discount double hits and the two classes are put on basically equal nuke footing"

http://fernworks.net/~dyeomans/DownLoads/pages/eq.crgaming.com/spells/spell.asp%3FId=279

"DOUBLE HIT EASY AND QUICKLY
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2002This spell that need a clear line of vision specially the bolt tipes have a stranger bug. When you cast a spell over your oponent the spell hit 2 times but only happens if all your body is in an higher position that the mob. for example Ot is great for 34 or higher mages because the cinder bolt ever hit 2 time all the time "
This speaks for itself.

Took me 5 minutes to find this evidence, will find more.

ElemtalRZ
07-03-2015, 06:02 AM
BOOOM BABY

http://www.waringmcmarrin.com/?page_id=60

2002 Shadows of Luclin release.

– Fixed a bug with bolt spells that caused double hits due
to elevation. Sorry Mages.

Need I say more?

Uuruk
07-03-2015, 07:11 AM
God I wish we had double bolts so 2 spells could get resisted instead of 1.

ElemtalRZ
07-07-2015, 03:58 PM
bump

Fame
07-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Pras, I remember double bolts in OT on my mage from back in the day. Great finds imo, interested in what staff has to say after the last two posts from Elemtal

Suri
07-12-2015, 03:00 PM
I do remember getting easy double bolts in classic when firing down at aviaks from up above at KFC in South Karana.

Another difference with bolts is that the graphic for the bolts themselves is just a small red baseball sized fireball in P99. In classic it was a big orange ball the size of a gnome, and would often hit the wrong mob if there was something in the way.

Yinaltin
07-12-2015, 03:24 PM
nice find ! i remember those double dmg bolts from my first char. and no it was not just the killshot. aviaks and ot elevation killing always granted a double dmg shot.

Caston
07-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Prove that they aren't kill shots when this happens.

Death message has what will show as damage too. So send a dmg packet and a death message at same time, looks like double damage.

Based on what I see in these, where it always is either a kill shot or scrolled up to show double damage, I am gonna say BS. There never was a double damage. It was a bug since bolt damage is delayed and is controller based origin.

I can put in the dislayed double damage bug for bolts on kill shots tho.

Gonna have to vote against this. There never was double damage from bolts. It was a display bug.

H

From a patch after the release of Luclin:

------------------------------
July 24, 2002
———————————————

- Fixed a bug with bolt spells that caused double hits due
to elevation. Sorry Mages.

I remember getting double bolts on classic with my Mage too.

ElemtalRZ
07-13-2015, 01:09 AM
I'm loving it

dafier
07-13-2015, 11:22 AM
Double bolts doesn't happen in P99. One of the first things I tried, several times.

Yes, it had to do with elevation and it didn't happen all the time. Hence why I tried many times.

Doing double the dmg with a bolt for the cost of 1 is crazy nice. So, no matter what you say I don't believe it.

Screenshot or not, they don't actually work like it used to on Live.

EDIT:

Haynar,

On live when a bolt hit and did double damage, it didn't always happen on a death. I remember casting when the NPC was close to 100% and instead of taking 20 or 30% hit on their health it would do 40 to 60%. VERY noticeable. Again, I've tried it about 50+ times and have never witnessed it on P99

ElemtalRZ
07-21-2015, 05:30 PM
bump

ElemtalRZ
08-04-2015, 03:56 AM
Bump

Aelzrith
08-04-2015, 09:34 AM
I Posted in the other thread, too. Will dig up hardcore evidence.

ElemtalRZ
11-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Bump

Freakish
11-05-2015, 10:17 PM
The screenshots on that first post link clearly has hill giant being slain by the pet and not the bolt. There's also screenshots from the nuke itself killing the mob, showing the same double message.

ElemtalRZ
11-06-2015, 12:53 AM
http://i.imgur.com/5WSTev3.jpg

Zuranthium
08-15-2019, 10:57 PM
Bump, these things to keep in mind especially:

I do remember getting easy double bolts in classic when firing down at aviaks from up above at KFC in South Karana.

I played a mage a good bit on live. Here's what I remember

Originally bolts didn't even require a target. You could face a direction, and cast. From what I recall it would even hit npcs that moved in its path, thus creating aggro that wasn't your original intent. Also, if it was chasing an npc target, if one got in its path, it would hit it and never reach your intended target.

I remember the Z axis double nuke as well. If levitating, and very close to the target, it would sometimes hit twice.

And a couple other classic properties about bolts:

1.) You didn't have to wait for the first one to land before casting another spell
2.) If the target moved verrrry far away, the bolt would fail and you would still lose mana for casting it

Also, if anyone has any code knowledge that would help the devs fix the broken bolt graphics on p99, that would be super great. They used to look awesome and that was a lot of the fun in using them.

Buellen
08-16-2019, 01:59 AM
support for visual effect of bolts being more pronounced.

Posted 2002 by Trieralaer on this page

http://web.archive.org/web/20040914074721/http://eq.crgaming.com/spells/spell.asp?Id=222&Page=4

"I am concerned. The FLAME BOLT(8th?) spell no longer appears as visually dynamic as previous to Luclin expansion. At one time it was a BOLT of FiRE THROUGH THE SKY to the target. Now, its a fuzzy halo around the target. I hope this a bug they are going to fix. It was one of the most pleasing spells to cast, expecially at night when it lit up the area it passed through. Felt liek a mage when using it. Is there any updated information as to lack luster change being returned to its 'visually dynamic self'?"

Ligma
08-18-2019, 05:39 AM
No evidence, but back in the day I did a couple levels on the cargo clockwork using double bolts. Directly across from him if you stood on top of the tree it would be 100%. Maybe could be used to calculate how it happened