PDA

View Full Version : Over from blue to red, which class to play?

Hijiri
06-19-2015, 10:16 PM
Working on my shaman epic now on blue (my first toon there) And the dark force of pvp calls to me every time I bump into a poopsocker sitting on epic drops. I played about every mmopvp going back to TZ and SZ with the gem darkfall online -first version-(full loot open world) probably my favorite so have a few questions about which class to pick.

-I'm not going to transferring gear/Plat( if i can avoid it) or looking to 'r@peface' with "get-sh*t-on" hot keyed , I just want to avoid the few gimped classes (*cough* cleric) or highly gear dependant classes that would require me to have another character to gear that character (if that's possible?)

Just looking for fun -up- and thru endgame. So playing from level 1 to 60, give me the top 3 classes you guys enjoy on red. I was looking at dwarf rogue, troll sk (my old TZ toon) or iksar necro

Doors
06-20-2015, 10:03 AM
If you're coming here with absolutely nothing probably go a farm class first.

Uuruk
06-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Don't play a shaman here.

Unless being the only shaman to show up on raids and buffing 70 people.is your sort of thing.

Mudslinger
06-20-2015, 10:24 AM
Iksar necro is a good choice you can play without alot of gear , you can farm well later and they do decent in pvp if you arnt retarded

Who were you on sz ?

Swish
06-20-2015, 10:42 AM
Druid certainly a thought - well rounded, can port, groups always need healers, pvp is pretty good too... get some wis gear and you'll enjoy it, mana pool is a bit low for pvp to begin with.

PVP Cleric
06-20-2015, 10:49 AM

Unless being the only shaman to show up on raids and buffing 70 people.is your sort of thing.

Are shamans really that rare on red? I know they're amazing in all forms of PVE, and I always got the impression from the forums that they were solid all around choices in PVP too.

Uuruk
06-20-2015, 11:03 AM
Are shamans really that rare on red? I know they're amazing in all forms of PVE, and I always got the impression from the forums that they were solid all around choices in PVP too.

Mediocre at best for pvp. Nightmare to play on raids.

Rushmore
06-20-2015, 01:19 PM

if someone told him to play a farm class Shaman looks like it is king! Solo Hero camp/bugs makes me jelly!

Madbad
06-20-2015, 01:25 PM
Wizard is always a solid first go.

Doctor Jeff
06-20-2015, 01:25 PM

Shamans are buff bots on red. You can use them to solo a bunch of cash spots which is cool, so if you're looking to make a farm char first I'd say its a nice easy class to choose, but 90% of the shaman mains I've seen have rerolled as soon as they had the cash.

Buhbuh
06-20-2015, 04:04 PM
Enchanter if you're a man, Necro or Shaman otherwise.

Shaman will edge out Enchanter in certain ways come Velly.

raka
06-20-2015, 04:14 PM
Mediocre at best for pvp. Nightmare to play on raids.

Buffing peeps is annoying. You can be invincible in pvp with heal pots and every other potion. Did I say buffing peeps is annoying? Gotta do it, u is shmn

Hijiri
06-21-2015, 11:20 AM
Iksar necro is a good choice you can play without alot of gear , you can farm well later and they do decent in pvp if you arnt retarded

Who were you on sz ?

Mizferac

iruinedyourday
06-21-2015, 03:26 PM
So, I wanted to share some advice, if you do decide to roll a shaman. First why not roll a shaman? Shamans set themselves up for disaster on red99. What I mean by that is, a shaman doing his thing at its best, is the easiest target for another player to get a YT.

Shamans kill things slowly, and they kill a lot of things at once. So if you are farming, you likely will have many things rooted and slowly dotting themselves to death. Think about how difficult a pvp engagement is going to be when you add 4 or 6 angry mobs breaking root, perma-agroed on you. Now think about that same pvp engagement that starts with you at about 40 or 50% health, because you're using the shamans ability to turn HPs into Mana... not very promising. These reasons are why shaman doing his job at its best, is setting himself up for disaster.

Now, if you do chose to roll a shaman, there's a funny thing about Race selection on red. Dont pick an ogre. Ogre on red is the worst of the shamans. This is because of a few reasons, but most importantly frontal stun immunity is basically worthless on a server, that doesn't allow duck casting. When you have 3 mobs on you, all bashing, you WILL get interrupted. On blue that's fine, you duck out of the cast and re cast, avoiding the 3-4 second frozen stun moment as an ogre (which make you feel invincible on blue) and getting right back into action. But on red, you cant interrupt that spell cast, you'll know your spell is going to get interrupted, but you cant stop it, and it was an epic click and now you have to wait 11 seconds to see that fantastic message, your spell has been interrupted. That said, if you were a class that was not immune to frontal stun, your spell timer bar would disappear on a bash, you'd get stuck, frozen in place for 3 seconds, and then be back casting a fresh, non interrupted version of the same spell. 11 Seconds > 3 Seconds and what you want is less time wasted, not more. The inability to break a cast, makes frontal stun a hindrance more than a boon on red.

Another thing to consider is regen on red is far more important than it is on blue... you wont find yourself kiting a mob around for a minuet or two to get more HP regen in, but you will find yourself doing that in pvp. So I personally suggest Iksar. The reason I suggest iksar over troll, is size also matters on red. A big shaman is an easy target in group pvp, or for a ganker, so if you are smaller, its a little easier for you to be unnoticed.. also it just feels so god damned easy to hit an ogre or a troll with melee attacks, its easier for a iksar to duck and weave.

tl;dr - dont make a shaman unless you know for a fact you can overcome the pain and you want to RP as one - dont make an Ogre cus frontal stun on red is null & void, make an iksar cus regen/size matters.

Hope this helps!

Tameth
06-21-2015, 03:37 PM
tldr

iruinedyourday
06-21-2015, 04:35 PM
tldr

https://i.imgur.com/OOqXzh.jpg

Magikarp
06-21-2015, 05:27 PM
good advice tho never seen such a logical argument for shaman race on forums

hmm ikky sham lets do it boys. already an enc main how bad can it be??

oh and btw do yourself a favor and stop worrying about kill/death ratio asap. its an unofficial leaderboard with bugs and although its very cool, no one expects you to be a stellar pvp'er upon entering the server, regardless of what you read on the forums.

maybe on char 2, then you'll start to get the hang of pumice/pots/clickies etc, but just bear in mind some folk have been playing eq pvp for over a decade and there's no reason a death should get you down in pnp era

1 last advice: pvp early. dont do like i did and solo all the way to 60 and try to cut your teeth with the vets. its an interesting challenge in its own way but i missed out on a lot of easy/fun lowbie pvp

Humerox
06-21-2015, 07:16 PM
server needs mages really bad high-end. seriously. people will luv you for coh alone and velious needs coh chains

you won't be a pvp hero tho

Colgate
06-21-2015, 10:56 PM
if you're relying on mains for coth in velious, you're doing it wrong

shamans are one of the best solo and small scale pvpers in the game

would not want to raid on one, though

sktank
06-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Yep I would say druid as well. You can find groups easier being able to port around and their aren't that many people to group with below lvl 40

georgie
06-22-2015, 09:48 PM
So, I wanted to share some advice, if you do decide to roll a shaman. First why not roll a shaman? Shamans set themselves up for disaster on red99. What I mean by that is, a shaman doing his thing at its best, is the easiest target for another player to get a YT.

Shamans kill things slowly, and they kill a lot of things at once. So if you are farming, you likely will have many things rooted and slowly dotting themselves to death. Think about how difficult a pvp engagement is going to be when you add 4 or 6 angry mobs breaking root, perma-agroed on you. Now think about that same pvp engagement that starts with you at about 40 or 50% health, because you're using the shamans ability to turn HPs into Mana... not very promising. These reasons are why shaman doing his job at its best, is setting himself up for disaster.

Now, if you do chose to roll a shaman, there's a funny thing about Race selection on red. Dont pick an ogre. Ogre on red is the worst of the shamans. This is because of a few reasons, but most importantly frontal stun immunity is basically worthless on a server, that doesn't allow duck casting. When you have 3 mobs on you, all bashing, you WILL get interrupted. On blue that's fine, you duck out of the cast and re cast, avoiding the 3-4 second frozen stun moment as an ogre (which make you feel invincible on blue) and getting right back into action. But on red, you cant interrupt that spell cast, you'll know your spell is going to get interrupted, but you cant stop it, and it was an epic click and now you have to wait 11 seconds to see that fantastic message, your spell has been interrupted. That said, if you were a class that was not immune to frontal stun, your spell timer bar would disappear on a bash, you'd get stuck, frozen in place for 3 seconds, and then be back casting a fresh, non interrupted version of the same spell. 11 Seconds > 3 Seconds and what you want is less time wasted, not more. The inability to break a cast, makes frontal stun a hindrance more than a boon on red.

Another thing to consider is regen on red is far more important than it is on blue... you wont find yourself kiting a mob around for a minuet or two to get more HP regen in, but you will find yourself doing that in pvp. So I personally suggest Iksar. The reason I suggest iksar over troll, is size also matters on red. A big shaman is an easy target in group pvp, or for a ganker, so if you are smaller, its a little easier for you to be unnoticed.. also it just feels so god damned easy to hit an ogre or a troll with melee attacks, its easier for a iksar to duck and weave.

tl;dr - dont make a shaman unless you know for a fact you can overcome the pain and you want to RP as one - dont make an Ogre cus frontal stun on red is null & void, make an iksar cus regen/size matters.

Hope this helps!

Plz don't listen to this shitty monk. Go ogre shaman

Syft-X
06-22-2015, 10:00 PM

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the PvP advice but I'd rather go afk for hours then take PvP advice from a guy with 1 kill and 80+ deaths.

Coming for someone who actually knows the class...

Shaman is a beast in PvP. Played right they can devastate and take quite a lot of dmg.
Only downside which is pretty huge, is everyone wants buffs and it's hard to get the killing blow before someone zones or gates.

At 60 with torpor for pve regen doesn't really matter so much anymore, fungi plus regen pot will allow you to down just about any mob you can slow 1v1 even if they summon. Only bonus to ilksar is size which is negated with aon and stone of morid which is big.

HippoNipple
06-23-2015, 01:00 AM

Hope this helps!

Your example for not wanting an ogre is when you want to click your epic while 3 mobs are bashing you?

Sirban
06-23-2015, 01:08 AM
berzerker

Uuruk
06-23-2015, 01:11 AM
Worship has played a lot of shaman. I'd take his word over an autistic guy who has multiple forum accounts and hasn't logged a kill on his shaman since they nerfed them a few months back.

iruinedyourday
06-23-2015, 01:20 AM
yea bros, dont get rustled.. ive done 2 shamans to 60.. sure my pvp skills arnt great, and with the shaman, are terrible.

But my pve logic is sound bros!

Go regen on red.

also didnt read syfts post, dude is handily the most retarded person on all boxes.

Your example for not wanting an ogre is when you want to click your epic while 3 mobs are bashing you?

Im not sure i follow the question exactly, but basically what I am describing is in your day to day, you will click your epic and if you get bashed, it will get interrupted and that could happen at a time where the duration of the spell being cast is > 3 second stun.. so what you would end up being stuck with is waiting for the spell to finish casting, only to see the interrupted message.

if you are trying to min max with frontal stun, the whole point is to avoid bash's so you can kill faster.. without being able to duck out of a cast you know is going to be interrupted, you are less efficient than a shaman that would have the spell broken by the bash interrupt.

Syft-X
06-23-2015, 01:41 AM
Worship has played a lot of shaman. I'd take his word over an autistic guy who has multiple forum accounts and hasn't logged a kill on his shaman since they nerfed them a few months back.

Shrug yea I'd totally take the word of a guy with 1 kill and 84 deaths vs the shaman with the most all time kills on the server.

You're a smart fella.

iruinedyourday
06-23-2015, 01:45 AM
syft you huge piece of fucking shit, what i am talking about is Pve.. something you have zero experience with.

and lets be honest, you couldnt kill anything with the class the way the resists work now.

Casey VII
06-23-2015, 09:01 AM
Iksar doesn't get JBB.

iksar WORTHLESS shaman

Gzaz
06-23-2015, 09:56 AM
I almost gave up on my shaman in rage.....glad i didnt now. Follow the bear !

Geck
06-23-2015, 09:59 AM
caster seems to be the best to start with, since melee are very gear dependant.

Uuruk
06-23-2015, 10:37 AM
I almost gave up on my shaman in rage.....glad i didnt now. Follow the bear !

Quoting this for when 115 people want focus and you're only shaman.

daasgoot
06-23-2015, 12:45 PM
im with syft on this one

shaman's way better than iruinurday makes them out to be

derpcake
06-23-2015, 12:51 PM

Too bad for most of them.

Also, surely amongst those 115 there are some people that can twitch, provide mod rods & heals, so there is that.

Uuruk
06-23-2015, 01:19 PM
Too bad for most of them.

Also, surely amongst those 115 there are some people that can twitch, provide mod rods & heals, so there is that.

Nah, our resident shaman gzaz just cancels trade window when I offer him mod rods.

fred schnarf
06-23-2015, 01:37 PM
im with syft on this one

every day worships corpse is in a different part of OOT

Gzaz
06-23-2015, 01:48 PM

Someones gotta do it and that will be me

iruinedyourday
06-23-2015, 01:50 PM
im with syft on this one

Says another guy who quit his shaman after the resist changes :rolleyes: