PDA

View Full Version : How did you get into Project1999?

Genedin
06-16-2015, 04:20 PM
I was randomly browsing reddit one day and someone posted a screen shot of north karana making fun of the graphics but saying how immersive they were back in the day.

Followed the thread back to P99 and regretted it every day since. How about you?

sabotage
06-16-2015, 04:32 PM
Chasing the dragon ... Now unemployed, lost 30 lbs, and my apartment looks like shit. Call it a relapse.

SamwiseRed
06-16-2015, 04:40 PM
smed video via random youtubing

Cecily
06-16-2015, 04:42 PM
I was doing great in college and got a random text from RL friend about P99.

LoliPops
06-16-2015, 04:47 PM
i think it was the Everquest running on an Android Youtube video that got me here lurking back in 2010

Beckoning
06-16-2015, 04:52 PM
I did try the original EverQuest out when it first came out and honestly... had no clue whatsoever. I remember trying a troll because I thought they looked awesome and couldn't figure out where to go once I logged on. I kept dying and so quit within a few days. Fast forward many years later... I googled old school MMORPGs and came across Project 1999. Took me a while to acquire the client and figure out how to get it setup... took me a while to figure out what the hell I was doing, but most certainly this is the strongest gaming addiction I've ever had. I love Project 1999!

iruinedyourday
06-16-2015, 04:57 PM
I tried out DayZ.. the broken, cruel, borderline bad graphics made me nostalgic.. looking for EQ downloads I found p99.

Fame
06-16-2015, 05:03 PM
I was on my 500th or so google search for "MMORPG similar to Everquest"

Malevz
06-16-2015, 05:08 PM

Awesome. I'm not the only one.

Did you also play a lot of other MMO's and just feel disappointment?

Genedin
06-16-2015, 05:29 PM

LOL. Yea I probably played all of the obscure mmorpgs out there in an attempt to experience this.

Fame
06-16-2015, 05:29 PM
Awesome. I'm not the only one.

Did you also play a lot of other MMO's and just feel disappointment?

Yep haha, played pretty much everything after wow and never came close to the classic. I was fuckin thrilled when I found this lol I must have called 15 or so old RL pals screaming into the phone like a little girl when the loading music started up.

There is no game out there that even comes close to Everquest. I stopped playing everything else including the popular FPS games of the time.

hatelore
06-16-2015, 05:44 PM

haha exact same thing for me.

/mindblown

Qtip
06-16-2015, 06:03 PM
Friend from vztz told me to roll on project 1999(blue) when it was first released. I start playing and he quits. I play for a couple months and quit.
Red99 is released and the same friend emails me to reroll. I do and the fucker quits again within a week. Here I am.

Madbad
06-16-2015, 06:06 PM
I heard about it while bitching in Global Chat on another game that it sucked compared to classic EQ. Some fine gentleman told me to google project 1999 and the rest is history.

heartbrand
06-16-2015, 06:45 PM
fohguild

Trainhop
06-16-2015, 06:56 PM
fohguild as well. <Flowers of Happiness> want to join? first you'll have to undergo a rigorous quest to 'find an Officer'.

Tameth
06-16-2015, 07:29 PM
Facebook > torrent site > project1999

Fame
06-16-2015, 07:39 PM
haha exact same thing for me.

/mindblown

lol I have a suspicious feeling that this community as a whole has more similarities than differneces.

Glenzig
06-16-2015, 07:46 PM
1. Double click EQ icon.
2.Hit enter.
3.Hit enter again.
4.Enter password.
5.Select project 1999 red server.
6. Log on to server.

Am I doing it right?

Pumped
06-16-2015, 07:57 PM
I was doing great in college and got a random text from RL friend about P99.

howd that work out?

Zalaerian
06-16-2015, 08:02 PM
VZTZ 1.0 on Tallon Zek Times circa 2007. Moved here with then Dream Team to form Holocaust day 1.

Madbad
06-16-2015, 08:29 PM
lol I have a suspicious feeling that this community as a whole has more similarities than differneces.

lmao, truth.

shimonuh
06-17-2015, 05:04 AM
Played private WoW server

One day decided i should find a private EQ server (played in 1999 when i was six years old)

Found p99 first google search

Used my dad's titanium disc set to install

Clark
06-17-2015, 05:19 AM

:cool:

Blizze
06-17-2015, 08:45 AM
Also a Google search...looked to relive something like this for years and everything fell flat.

Started playing with RL friend Disonae on blue in 2011 and the rest is history. Still amazes me how many people I continue to run into on this server from the good old days on VZ live. What other gaming community develops such strong ties and in some cases; hatred.

Blizze
06-17-2015, 08:46 AM
Oh i guess i joined in 2010 per my account info...

LostCause
06-17-2015, 09:05 AM
played blue right when kunark came out for like 2-3 months till i saw red was comin never looked back.

i been following eqemulator way before p99 was thought about eqemu been around for a long time.

Slathar
06-17-2015, 09:07 AM
I was randomly browsing reddit one day and someone posted a screen shot of north karana making fun of the graphics but saying how immersive they were back in the day.

Followed the thread back to P99 and regretted it every day since. How about you?

parole

Eslade
06-17-2015, 09:51 AM
Used to visit hackersquest forum. I think there was a link to an eq emulator under development that was no where near playable. Remembered it a few years later. Found p99.

Drakaris
06-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Got burnt out on modern mmo and returned to my roots.
Played blue - lasted 3 months - got bored.
Played red - lasted 2 days
Played red years later - loved iksar but red community was fucked in the head and got put off by ooc. Neefin convinced me to stick around - got griefed by nihilum alts, azrael alts, force alts etc. Was like the only person levelling who wasn't an alt or twink. Joined nihilum with a bunch of random players (erdriick etc) because of vyrenoth who hooked us up with exp groups and was super nice. Watched the same guy go cray cray over the years and mace someone irl. Watched the guild I was in ripped apart by dubious circumstances at best. Learnt that much corruption was involved in that server changing decision.

Helped rebuild the server for pals that were guileless and joined guilds that I believed were good for server health. Helped build smoke break / blaze which was eventually merged into holocaust. Saw the true colours of holocaust/empire and put them to the test. Test failed as expected and proven to be the most corrupt guild I have experidnced since the start of r99.

Now kick it with a group of good guys in ts doing random shit and helping out. Glad that I am not raiding for aimchat rerolls.

TLDR - got sick of modern mmorpgs and somehow became a permanent part of this server. Still a mystery to this day as to why I stayed.

Genedin
06-17-2015, 10:46 AM
parole

Do not understand.

Thulack
06-17-2015, 10:51 AM
Was playing Live and complaining about stuff on EQ live forums when Daldaen messaged me about P99(was 2010-2011). Stopped played Live mid 2011 and came here fulltime.

Mingo
06-17-2015, 12:43 PM
I had just hung up my live character something like 8 years ago, as the greatest player to ever grace the Zek server after winning every BoTB held in the last decade for every class on every server and i realized all the MQ users i had been embarrassing with my overly worked biceps had been caught in the internet's shitty-player-sink-drain on the VZTZ emulated server. The bait was too juicy, i was hooked.

Mudslinger
06-18-2015, 08:16 AM
I was happily burning down PDM on my wizard Trusken on Zek on EQ live when the core of my guild <Mindset a Threat > suddenly stopped logging in on zek and our TS channels were filled with talk of classic eq pvp ...... I had dreamed for years of a return to the classic days of SZ ...... long story short Ticklemi Elmo was reborn

Farzo
06-18-2015, 09:30 AM

Pretty much this.

Originally from blue, quit and went to eqmac (allowed 2 box) when that shut down came back to p99 and decided that red99 was the go.

Won't be going anywhere till server shuts down too: best game ever.

Mudslinger
06-18-2015, 10:22 AM
:D

Won't be going anywhere till server shuts down .

Pray such a day never comes ..... been expecting to randomly log back onto eq live and find that they shut down all the servers lol

Karok
06-18-2015, 11:37 AM
I found p99 in an odd way that is probably pretty typical. I played vallon zek way back in the day and pvpd with airyth/mistahapie a lot, one day I ran into an old guildie while playing wow an he told me that airyth had joined defiant(most of the server did once they went 4team I guess)
I guess defiant went to wow so I looked them up only to find they had all quit wow or any I knew did. I then started randomly youtubing eq pvp and found mostly crap until I came across a beastagore video with red99.
I think that day I started looking for a copy of titanium.

Omnifiend
06-18-2015, 11:41 AM
I was all hot and bothered by the first progression servers EQ had, but they were not classic. Someone on EQ forums talked about p99. I came to blue cus of the pop, left because everything was always camped, and came here so that if someone is camping my shit I can kill them and take it.

vouss
06-18-2015, 12:23 PM
lol yeah, I'm more of a defensive paladin, 1 kill 13 deaths LOL

Chronoburn
06-18-2015, 12:25 PM
Someone told me they were re-making Everquest (EQN). Somehow researching EQN lead me here.

fohguild as well.

Pretty sure he was referring to Fires of Heaven. http://www.notacult.com/ is flowers site.

<Flowers of Happiness> want to join? first you'll have to undergo a rigorous quest to 'find an Officer'.

I'll log in one of these weeks and make some more officers ... maybe

eqgmrdbz
06-18-2015, 12:56 PM
Never lost the desire to keep playing, it was always in the back of my mind, I mainly stopped because i forced myself, i didnt have the time i used to play. Many years later i though about starting again, but i knew what the game had become, many boxers and bots. So after reading about emu servers, i decided to try one out and just get my jollies off, well P99 got my jollies off and more, once i started to play i was hooked...again.

Slathar
06-18-2015, 01:13 PM
my ex-wife left me for my guilds leader and i have no family friends skills or ambition

everquest

Lime
06-18-2015, 01:43 PM
my ex-wife left me for my guilds leader and i have no family friends skills or ambition

everquest

Do some burnouts in your Tesla to show her how much your killing it now.

Tassador
06-18-2015, 02:00 PM
Trust me he is on his way to hogwarts saddling a tesla and pvping on eq. Way to go!!!!!

Pitborn
06-18-2015, 02:35 PM
Needed my fix for eq pvp after vztz closed.

Cid
06-18-2015, 07:01 PM
I came to P99 because North convinced me to try it out. I started on Blue but all my friends wanted to play Red so we could experience EQ from the beginning, and I've been playing on Red since Beta testing where I killed a druid and felt bad about it.
I soloed for most of classic and duoed a little with Riley, my RL friend, and once I was able to firepots bind my toons I started helping people and trying to get people to keep playing.
Most didn't stay, but some did, and I've pretty much been doing the same thing since. I did switch from farming gear to give away to collecting words/runes to make free spells with Yawgmoth, Urza and Colt, and buffing/porting with Neefin and Cidisius.

So yeah, even though North is kind of the opposite of me on Red, he's indirectly responsible for any help I might have provided you. =)

Kaahbal
06-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Tried Vz on live with my boy Smedy, then rolled on first vztz server and here we are again a total of 15 years later

Fame
06-18-2015, 07:32 PM
I came to P99 because North convinced me to try it out. I started on Blue but all my friends wanted to play Red so we could experience EQ from the beginning, and I've been playing on Red since Beta testing where I killed a druid and felt bad about it.
I soloed for most of classic and duoed a little with Riley, my RL friend, and once I was able to firepots bind my toons I started helping people and trying to get people to keep playing.
Most didn't stay, but some did, and I've pretty much been doing the same thing since. I did switch from farming gear to give away to collecting words/runes to make free spells with Yawgmoth, Urza and Colt, and buffing/porting with Neefin and Cidisius.

So yeah, even though North is kind of the opposite of me on Red, he's indirectly responsible for any help I might have provided you. =)

Can pras that. Neefin always been a huge help to the little guys.

P.S. I know the words for spells are a HUGE help. Random suggestion if you're feelin it. Long ago I was a young mage and due to low population, somewhat anxious about finding the words for my upcoming level. I made it a point to solo the mobs that dropped the words I needed. Fortune did not grant me favor. I hit the next spell level before finding even one of them. Defeated, I told myself I should go get my spells anyway-make that Air Pet work. Upon arriving at the mage guild I was both surprised and delighted to find copies of ALL of the research only mage spells on the actual mage spell vendors.

I have never forgotten that. I tried to do it a bit myself when I have time. (Check mage vendors for those level 49 pets, pals.)

lurok1
06-19-2015, 12:09 PM
Played eq back in the day XEV and RZ then left for Daoc. Quit all mmos for about 6 years then played Daoc another 2 years. A couple of my cousins had been playing here on red but I wasn't convinced to play again till some Daoc peeps fro postcount.net came over. They are all gone I think i don't know never played with them. Now I'm here for goog I'm almost established here and that's saying a lot. It takes quite a while eq is a bear of a game.

fred schnarf
06-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Played eq back in the day XEV and RZ then left for Daoc. Quit all mmos for about 6 years then played Daoc another 2 years. A couple of my cousins had been playing here on red but I wasn't convinced to play again till some Daoc peeps fro postcount.net came over. They are all gone I think i don't know never played with them. Now I'm here for goog I'm almost established here and that's saying a lot. It takes quite a while eq is a bear of a game.

uthgard soon dude , well maybe not soon but eventually

Clark
06-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Heard about it playing another MMO in 2009.

Cid
06-19-2015, 02:58 PM
P.S. I know the words for spells are a HUGE help. Random suggestion if you're feelin it. Long ago I was a young mage and due to low population, somewhat anxious about finding the words for my upcoming level. I made it a point to solo the mobs that dropped the words I needed. Fortune did not grant me favor. I hit the next spell level before finding even one of them. Defeated, I told myself I should go get my spells anyway-make that Air Pet work. Upon arriving at the mage guild I was both surprised and delighted to find copies of ALL of the research only mage spells on the actual mage spell vendors.

My problems with doing that on here is that I have no clue when the server will be reset again and wipe all vendors, be it intentional or a crash, whereas I know if I hand them out they will go to a necromancer of appropriate level.
Also, I couldn't be sure someone wouldn't buy them all to resell in ooc for 500-1000pp each for 49 spells. I never seem to have more than one or two copies of the 49 spells at a time and they don't last long.
I actually miss Nihilum all being bound in Erudin because I could find more words, runes and pages weekly in one spot than I do now in a month of searching all the vendors in every city except Qeynos.

I rarely see Mages or Wizards asking for research stuff in ooc but I try to help them whenever I see them. If you ask me, I will absolutely help if I can and I will be doing Enchanter research as soon as I stop fucking off and level Dealer to 50+.