PDA

View Full Version : Considering Red

icedwards
06-14-2015, 01:37 PM
Been thinking of starting an alt, and whether or not to roll Red.

I'm leaning towards a Ranger, but would consider a tank class or possibly Wiz. I'm completely new to EQ PVP, and I wouldn't be transferring anything over from blue. I guess my question would be how much of a hassle would each of these choices be starting out, and would I regret any of them in the late game?

Thanks for your help!

Saludeen
06-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Been thinking of starting an alt, and whether or not to roll Red.

I'm leaning towards a Ranger, but would consider a tank class or possibly Wiz. I'm completely new to EQ PVP, and I wouldn't be transferring anything over from blue. I guess my question would be how much of a hassle would each of these choices be starting out, and would I regret any of them in the late game?

Thanks for your help!

Star with a wiz so you can make some money and solo without gear. Or play chanter so you can always get groups and solo well. If you've never pvped then you need to play on red because its way more fun (for most people).

Xaanka
06-14-2015, 03:12 PM
Wizards (along with druids) are the go-to first class for red server. Both classes can get by just fine with zero gear, and both classes are strong farmers. Keep in mind a wizard pretty much requires buying or questing Journeyman Boots while Druid can do fine naked, but that's the only expensive must-have item and wizard can self-farm it. You're always better off making a character that can farm before you roll a melee if you're new on the server. Ranger's one of the cheapest melees to gear on this server though, so it wouldn't be too horrible of a first character.

With the exp bonus, most new wizards I see hit 50 within a week if they're active players, so what's to lose? You'll have a lot more fun on the ranger when you can afford a decent weapon to smack things with.

B4EQWASCOOL
06-14-2015, 03:24 PM
Wiz for no gear. SK if tank. I like wiz first because they're less gear reliant.

Glad you are considering red. 8)

Madbad
06-14-2015, 03:59 PM
step one: grow thick skin

step two: join a guild

step three: ??????

step four: PROFIT!!!

MaNiC
06-14-2015, 09:57 PM
roll whatever class you enjoy playing but it definitely would be easier with a porter/farm class first. Either way..welcome to red!

StrangeTech
06-14-2015, 10:52 PM
I rolled a cleric for my first. Am I doing it wrong?

Lionsfan616
06-14-2015, 11:21 PM
With the exp bonus, most new wizards I see hit 50 within a week if they're active players, so what's to lose? You'll have a lot more fun on the ranger when you can afford a decent weapon to smack things with.

Damn, a week?? How much do those people play? I may just have to make a wiz/druid for giggles if it only takes a week.

georgie
06-14-2015, 11:44 PM
u roll a ranger u will be overlooked by every other class in groups. and u'll be useless in pvp because the only thing that makes rangers good is windstriker

Grimjaw
06-15-2015, 02:45 AM
You ever played EverQuest... on Red?? Oh, there's some crazy shit, man. There's a dude in the bushes. Has he got a gun? I dunno man! I dunno! RED TEAM GO! RED TEAM GO!

Clark
06-15-2015, 03:02 AM
Damn, a week?? How much do those people play? I may just have to make a wiz/druid for giggles if it only takes a week.

Over exaggeration.

Wiz/Druid great first class though. Doesn't require gear.

Susvain2
06-15-2015, 03:54 AM
Over exaggeration.

Wiz/Druid great first class though. Doesn't require gear.

http://i.imgur.com/RTf29RS.png

icedwards
06-15-2015, 10:31 AM
u roll a ranger u will be overlooked by every other class in groups. and u'll be useless in pvp because the only thing that makes rangers good is windstriker

That's all I needed to hear to turn me off from ranger then.

I'll most likely roll druid or wiz this week and give it a shot if that's what all the cool kids are doing.

Swish
06-15-2015, 11:06 AM
druid is a good first character imo, well rounded... and most groups are short on healing.

Gotze
06-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Shaman also fantastic first choice, you will slowly gain arthritis at level 60 but torpor really isnt that hard to get on this server and is a fantastic tool for farming

Malevz
06-15-2015, 11:38 AM
would I regret any of them in the late game?

The only regret about red I ever have is reading the message boards, and sometimes ooc. Otherwise welcome to red ;)

Raev
06-15-2015, 11:56 AM
The only regret about red I ever have is reading the message boards, and sometimes ooc. Otherwise welcome to red ;)

So here is a question for you. Why is everyone quite so aggressive on this server? I can understand for example Empire/GG being KOS to each other but I'm a bit surprised that both of them have tried to PK random guildless scrubs like myself.

Also I'd prefer to join a guild that isn't full of cheaters/RMTers. I was thinking about GG, but now I'm reading that one of GG's top officers just got banned for massive RMT and that they download texture packs to eliminate the AON. OTOH, it seems like Empire somehow persuaded this 'Gyno' character to spend thousands of dollars on AONs for them, and he is now banned, only they aren't? I don't believe everything I read on the forums, of course.

silo32
06-15-2015, 12:02 PM
server chat lol

in reality if you roll a wiz druid you will be broke till mid 50's farming seafuries then you have to compete with all the 60 chanters/shaman/wizards with epic and manastone, and druids with manastone VSlegs lumi staff.

Roll what you would enjoy playing the most

you wont hit 50 on a week with a wizard, most groups wont take you cuz your afk and useless dps, unless desperado, you will be solo most of your time wich is slower, you could lvl faster playing a core needed class lvling up, support, heals, tank vs, druid has more return for the buck long term, plvling friends, selling plvls, support heals and buffs to 50ish they taper off and are replaced by other classes 55+

good luck welcome you wont get rich unless you find a nice plat exploit or lvl fast as people say you will but it sure beats blue

Runya
06-15-2015, 12:33 PM
I would pick a different game imo....toxic /ooc,toxic forums and toxic behavior in general.

Malevz
06-15-2015, 12:51 PM
So here is a question for you. Why is everyone quite so aggressive on this server? I can understand for example Empire/GG being KOS to each other but I'm a bit surprised that both of them have tried to PK random guildless scrubs like myself.

Also I'd prefer to join a guild that isn't full of cheaters/RMTers. I was thinking about GG, but now I'm reading that one of GG's top officers just got banned for massive RMT and that they download texture packs to eliminate the AON. OTOH, it seems like Empire somehow persuaded this 'Gyno' character to spend thousands of dollars on AONs for them, and he is now banned, only they aren't? I don't believe everything I read on the forums, of course.

That's a good question, Red99 is much different from live in that on live VZ we killed people who were assholes, in enemy guilds or for bosses. Here if you're in range that's enough reason. I walked up to someone for a VP key piece a few weeks back and said "hey you camping this?" a minute later when they noticed me I got nuked and had to kill them. I think many people think this is an FPS.

As for GG I wouldn't believe much of what they say. They've been around for years in many forms, and to this day I'm not sure if they believe their own conspiracy theories, or are just too high to know the difference between fact and reality. They are what you would expect from a guild that has a cam chat to watch each other smoke oxy, or whatever they do.

Choosing a guild based on RMT or not is a guessing game since you'll only really ever have rumor and speculation. I only have one real experience with RMT, Sektorz, trying to buy things off of me. Likely he's not playing anymore and has been banned by now. Anyone that tells you anything second hand though, you have no way of telling if it's fiction, unless it's a GM. Gyno himself spread rumors that he had 8 AoN's, and half of what he does is just to screw with people. It's more likely he was banned for talking shit to GM's than RMT. Gyno has the attention span of a monkey with A.D.D. chewing on a fly swatter. It's hard to believe he's some RMT kingpin.

My best suggestion for anyone would be to find a guild that makes the game fun. And whatever you do, avoid guilds that take the game super serious. And know... that if you do app to Empire, you may one day be subjected to looking at pictures of Gongshows colon.

Celedor
06-17-2015, 12:49 PM
"...the attention span of a monkey with A.D.D. chewing on a fly swatter".

lol I love this image!

Mudslinger
06-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Wizards (along with druids) are the go-to first class for red server. Both classes can get by just fine with zero gear, and both classes are strong farmers. Keep in mind a wizard pretty much requires buying or questing Journeyman Boots while Druid can do fine naked, but that's the only expensive must-have item and wizard can self-farm it. You're always better off making a character that can farm before you roll a melee if you're new on the server. Ranger's one of the cheapest melees to gear on this server though, so it wouldn't be too horrible of a first character.

I went druid first it was wonderful but end game the wiz is gonna be easier to pvp on and wiz has an awsome set of class only quests thay will help ya like the staff of temp flux , the instant click gaze mask and several other decent quest items that are decent and will help you get geared without needing alot of pp so basically you get jboots and then the mask then temp flux staff then low 30's go kite in south karana and hope you luck out and get a peg cloak then you have 2 instant click buffs an instant click debuff / agro tool and batwing free lev and it should be ez to get spell money selling ports

Mudslinger
06-18-2015, 10:34 AM
I would pick a different game imo....toxic /ooc,toxic forums and toxic behavior in general.

Dont listen to the butt hurt comments of the fallen and forgotten