PDA

View Full Version : How important/good is slam in PvP?

VincentVolaju
06-02-2015, 04:51 PM
I was wondering if slam isn't as good as I originally thought it was? I know it's used for interrupting spells / gates etc. which sounds like kind of a big deal on a PvP server, something you wouldn't want to give up if you had the ability to get it.

So with all the Iksar SKs running around / being rolled now, I was wondering if maybe it isn't all that great after all? Does it rarely land or stun maybe? Not very reliable?

Capri_Sun
06-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Iksar SK's are generally a bad decision when it comes to min-maxing as they suffer a 100AC loss (or close to it) in the endgame by not being able to wear plate. However, in Velious, they will be able to wear a set or two of plate. The slam is nice for interrupting, but it really comes down to your personal preference.

Boeing B-29 Superfortress
06-02-2015, 05:20 PM
Depends on the class.

Shaman: slam is great, add haste and you can get right in caster faces and bash them, even though its 1hp its an interrupt advantage that you have to block pumice/cure potions/gate etc...

Shadowknight: the only way an iksar can interrupt someone, other than melee push, is by having an epic weapon that allows 2handed bash

Do you really want to only use your kunark epic sword in velious? have fun with that

Warrior: at level 55 kick replaces slam

VincentVolaju
06-02-2015, 05:20 PM
Iksar SK's are generally a bad decision when it comes to min-maxing as they suffer a 100AC loss (or close to it) in the endgame by not being able to wear plate. However, in Velious, they will be able to wear a set or two of plate. The slam is nice for interrupting, but it really comes down to your personal preference.

I was under the impression AC didn't matter in PvP because it was currently broken and has been broken for a long time now? So that innate AC bonus for iksar, or the fact that they can't wear plate and lose AC, is only a PvE concern and makes no different PvP fights? Or is that not true?

I would of thought an actual ability that prevents someone from just gating out of a fight would be more worth while then the regen itself, or am I over valuing how good slam is? That's why I was wondering if maybe it isn't all that reliable in practice, like maybe it misses 75% of the time or doesn't stun / interrupt or something?

Samoht
06-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Iksar SK gets bash, anyway, and can 2H bash if they ever get epic.

Greenmist is a 1hs and will be worn with a shield.

Capri_Sun
06-02-2015, 05:25 PM
I was under the impression AC didn't matter in PvP because it was currently broken and has been broken for a long time now? So that innate AC bonus for iksar, or the fact that they can't wear plate and lose AC, is only a PvE concern and makes no different PvP fights? Or is that not true?

You'll have to get your gear somehow; unless you're purchasing it, you'll be doing the PvE. ;)

I would pick whatever race you want because, really, it comes down to skill. The best SK on the server was a DE I believe.

Kable
06-02-2015, 07:42 PM
It's always been situational for me. Slam might interrupt that heal or nuke or gate but may be bit negligible as a stun on a melee. It's sure nice to have it though. I think in classic, slam is advantageous and less so in Kunark/Velious. Used it a lot as a Warrior/SK/Shaman, but I never ever used it as a Barbarian rogue as it greys out the Backstab timer.

vouss
06-02-2015, 07:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29i6oSoLqiQ

this should answer any questions you have

and if it doesn't, play what ever race you think looks coolest

VincentVolaju
06-02-2015, 07:55 PM
It's always been situational for me. Slam might interrupt that heal or nuke or gate but may be bit negligible as a stun on a melee. It's sure nice to have it though. I think in classic, slam is advantageous and less so in Kunark/Velious. Used it a lot as a Warrior/SK/Shaman, but I never ever used it as a Barbarian rogue as it greys out the Backstab timer.

Yeah I am rolling an SK myself, and was pretty much between Iksar or Troll. Was originally leaning towards Troll for the stats, regen and slam. However I've seen so many Iksar that's making me wonder if Iksar is a better choice for Velious and if slam isn't as valuable as I thought it was.

edit: The stun on melee I am not really worried about, more so how often does slam actually stop a gate or heal going off?

Colgate
06-02-2015, 07:59 PM
slam is gr8

in velious if/when you replace your epic, a troll will still be able to slam, whereas an iksar won't

trolls also look way cooler

should be an easy choice

VincentVolaju
06-02-2015, 08:06 PM
slam is gr8

in velious if/when you replace your epic, a troll will still be able to slam, whereas an iksar won't

trolls also look way cooler

should be an easy choice

Doubt Ill ever even get an epic, but I guess that just makes even more sense to go Troll then lol.

Kable
06-02-2015, 08:37 PM
I chose an Ogre but that was for base STA only. Not sure if they can be stunned from the front or is that a myth?

VincentVolaju
06-02-2015, 09:31 PM
I chose an Ogre but that was for base STA only. Not sure if they can be stunned from the front or is that a myth?

I think it's supposed to be melee attack stuns from the front don't work on you, but everything else does. Though I've heard it's broken, so who knows.

Genedin
06-03-2015, 10:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29i6oSoLqiQ

this should answer any questions you have

and if it doesn't, play what ever race you think looks coolest

Srsly. People talk shit about Iksar SK's but I'm pretty sure you never want to be trapped in a dungeon with this guy.

Boeing B-29 Superfortress
06-03-2015, 11:22 AM
shadowknights are good against exp groups in dungeons because of their kit, other than that iksar sk is lowest on the totem poll

have fun sword+boarding while the large races are using 53/46 procing unresistable 120hp dots

derpcake
06-03-2015, 01:41 PM
On my 60 shm I'd estimate (roughly) that slam is good for 10-15% chance to stop a spell.

It feels huge whenever it works.

Drakaris
06-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Iksar are still viable. Against a caster sword and board greenmist after pumping a golem wand in them. Asystole + greenmist proc will have their Str so low they will be snared and the dmg delay will stop them from channelling shit.

Epics are also easier to get with soulleech dropping off golems. At the end of the day just play what you like.