PDA

View Full Version : Warrior race

Kelor
06-02-2015, 07:56 AM
Hi there.
How does Ogre compare to Iksar in Velious for Warrior? will Iksar overtake Ogre as the best race? Thanks.

Swish
06-02-2015, 08:04 AM
"Frontal stun immunity" is probably the John 3:16 of the P99 forums. If you're intent on min/maxing there's no substitute for an ogre but with Velious armor and the AC bonus its hard to put an iksar anything lower than second in the min/max stakes.

Honestly though, as a former cleric its not a huge deal whether you're healing a gnome warrior or an ogre one. If you don't min/max but are conscious of a HP difference, carry a stack of peridots with you and fund your own symbols - it helps the cleric's mana pool a bit in the long term and covers your ass if you have one that's an alt-tabber.

How often is frontal stun immunity a game changer to a warrior? How many deaths are caused by having a tank that doesn't have frontal stun immunity? ;)

Pipip
06-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Iksar are clearly in the lead on style points

Daldaen
06-02-2015, 08:36 AM
Frontal Stun Immunity doesn't help a warrior.

Getting stunned just means you swing a bit less and get riposted a bit less. If you are using clickies properly, your aggro should be just fine without it. Unless you have derpy monks who can't FD or Rogues who can't evade or wizards who didn't quest Concussion. Even then, frontal stun immunity won't save those people. You can't fix stupid as they say.

Samoht
06-02-2015, 08:37 AM

Second only to halfling.

Lorian
06-02-2015, 09:20 AM
How is a Dark Elf in Velious? Will the armour be able to compensate for the physical shortcomings? Because nothing in the game looks remotely as cool as a dual wielding dark elf in full plate! :)

Champion_Standing
06-02-2015, 09:29 AM
If you want style points wood elf is the only way to go.

Baler
06-02-2015, 09:44 AM
@ OP people are going to say Ogre, hands down.
Iksar do have higher AC total endgame in velious however.

After that style points, Ogres are big, ugly, dumb and stinky. -4
Iksar are only scaly and stinky. -2
Iksar is best between those two choices.

wormed
06-02-2015, 10:08 AM

Getting stunned just means you swing a bit less and get riposted a bit less. If you are using clickies properly, your aggro should be just fine without it. Unless you have derpy monks who can't FD or Rogues who can't evade or wizards who didn't quest Concussion. Even then, frontal stun immunity won't save those people. You can't fix stupid as they say.

I think your first sentence is a little biased. It definitely does help a warrior. Is it game breaking? No. However, as someone who has had a warrior and did some of the tanking for my guild, it really depends on how good your guild is also. Getting stuck into an instant melee stun always sucks and if your guild jumps the gun, it can be a huge pain the ass.

Aside from that though, you can tank almost everything just as effectively with any race.

Dwarf Warrior forever.

eisley
06-02-2015, 10:32 AM
depends how the combat system is done here. This is not live.

on live, during velious era, there was a relatively low AC hardcap for each class - i believe warrior was 289 worn? I've got that number stuck in my head for some reason, but anyhow this info was posted officially somewhere years back, along with some other dev insider "secrets" such as sro ancient cyclops & vaniki spawn mechanics, two highly speculated mobs, as well as some other info. Was very interesting, I'll try to dig it up. Vaniki's being particularly hilarious - essentially a mob that should've been super rare, but oops - the constant server resets dunked that idea. I am very curious to see how it's handled here. But I digress..

What this meant is that once the cap was reached, the only way to improve your tanking ability was to be an iksar, equipment being equal. I remember it being a "big deal" on live, but probably overreaction. My Velious era live guild had warriors of all different races, our "MT" was a halfling, although the name of the game back then was warrior stacking. Warriors are needed, race not being an issue - being able to press /disc def being the issue =)

khanable
06-02-2015, 10:37 AM
iksar if you want chicks
ogre if you don't

Swish
06-02-2015, 10:41 AM
you mean chicks don't want to lick the green stuff out of ogre ears?

eisley
06-02-2015, 12:40 PM
I'll try to dig it up.

If you are interested in the nitty gritty, here it is. First, the particularly relevant bits:

Hardcap on Raw AC for non casters was 289 at level 60.
Found a few places saying at Level 75 an Iksar added 42 AC. Looks like the formula for this may have been (Level / 2) + 5.
Raw Class AC bonus and Monk Bonus is added to Mitigation. Iksar bonus is added to Avoidance.

Total Displayed Hardcap Class/Race

Warrior - 1172
Iksar Warrior - 1213

These hardcaps on Avoidance are shown using 255 Agility. The only factors are Defense Skill, Agility and Iksar race.

Taken from this post (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48312) courtesy of Treats, which is quoting a post by a Dev apparently intimately familiar with tanking mechanics at the time. Feel free to delve into the rabbit hole if you so choose.

Re: Feed back on soft cap

Kavhok
EQ Designer

Your AC cap was lowered. That was absolutely and unequivocally a nerf. I didn't mean in any way to imply otherwise.

Let me give a more full explanation of what happened, though. Here's how the AC formula used to work before the patch immediately preceding PoP:

The AC from your items was added up, but the value used for it was hard capped based on your level. This was the same for all classes. Once you had 289 raw AC from items (or 385 as a cloth class, since they get less effect from item AC), that was it. More AC from items wouldn't do anything.

After this, it added your class bonuses (including the monk bonus, which is equivalent to your level + 5 in raw item AC), defense skill bonus, agility bonus, and the AC from spell buffs.

Total AC at this point was capped again, this time based on class. In the Kunark-era code, this was a hard cap, but sometime during Velious it was changed to a soft cap for melee classes only. The return was fairly small, though.

The pre-PoP patch did a few things:

- The cap on item AC was no longer used except at lower levels (twinking was a concern since that was before recommended level items were in heavy use).
- Shield AC was added to the class-based cap to give shields more viability
- Class AC caps were changed. Monks were lowered the most, but beastlords were lowered to the same level as druids (yes, they were nerfed too). Cleric and shaman caps were raised above druids. The caps generally followed the armor archetypes of plate/chain/leather/cloth.
- All classes were given returns on AC over the cap, not just melee classes. All casters and priests received the least, followed by the melee classes. Rogues got the same return as monks, as did berserkers when the class was added. Beastlords and rangers got slightly more, followed by bards, then knights, then warriors.

The overall goal was to make the average dps (including mitigation, avoidance, block/dodge/etc.) taken for melee classes to be approximately:
Warrior > Knight > Monk > Bard > Ranger = Beastlord = Rogue

Aggregate data from live servers at the time was taken to determine median-AC stats for each class. Parses were run against NPCs 3-4 levels lower, facing front. The characters had cleric AC and shaman agility buffs and faced the NPC. The results of the parse were consistent with statistical analysis of the formulas in code:

Class War Pal Mnk
Level 51 51 51
Raw Item AC 184 181 107
Agility 157 144 169
Dodge 3.4% 3.1% 4.4%
Block 0 % 0% 10.2%
Riposte 4.4% 3.9% 4.1%
Parry 5.2% 4.6% 0%
Skill Evasion 12.9% 11.5% 18.7%
Hit Rate 61.2% 61.3% 58.2%
Avg Hit 72.6 72.9 74.6
% Hits for Max 10.2% 10.5% 11.5%
Avg Dmg / Round 59.7 61.1 54.5
DPS 28.2 28.8 25.7

Class War Pal Mnk
Level 60 60 60
Raw Item AC 296 281 163
Agility 177 152 187
Dodge 4.3% 3.9% 4.9%
Block 0 % 0% 11.4%
Riposte 4.8% 4.3% 4.5%
Parry 5.8% 5.2% 0%
Skill Evasion 14.9% 13.4% 20.8%
Hit Rate 59.4% 59.7% 59.3%
Avg Hit 107.3 109.9 113.6
% Hits for Max 10.4% 11.7% 13.6%
Avg Dmg / Round 87.4 91.7 86.1
DPS 50.8 53.3 50

The problem was that the average plate-equipped warriors and knights had barely any lead on monks in mitigation, due to the monk bonus, but the monk still had the lead in evasion. Contrary to popular belief, this is what prompted the nerf to monk mitigation, NOT high-end monks being rampage tanks.

The changes had little effect on average level 51 warriors and knights, but since the average level 51 monk was over the new nerfed AC cap, it increased their average damage taken per hit and increased the percent chance of max hits (in the above example) to 13%. Monks who had better than this median AC were hit harder by the nerf since it lowered their effective AC even more. Level 60 monks with exceptionally high item AC (Ssra+) weren't hit quite as hard because the uncapping of item AC gave them more returns on AC over the class cap. The median level 60 changes looked like this (evasion, of course, remained the same):

Class War Pal Mnk
Avg Hit 106 108.9 121.3
% Hits for Max 9.8% 11.2% 18.4%
Avg Dmg 86.4 90.9 91.9
DPS 50.2 52.8 53.4

Several months into PoP, the nerf was partially repealed and the monk AC cap was raised to the same level as druids and beastlords. Their return on AC over the cap was left at the same level. The reasoning at the time was based on a number of factors: the percentage of hits for max made taking damage even more unpredictable and raised the likelihood of one-round deaths more than we wanted, median AC increased for nearly all levels 51+ due to the new armor in PoP and trickle-down of old armor into the economy, and other issues were brought up.

Addendum:

Why were monks below 1160 AC affected?

The AC number you see is a composite of mitigation and avoidance. Defense skill increases both mitigation and avoidance, so gaining skill levels 50+ makes both numbers go up. At level 51, before the mitigation changes, a monk with no buffs, 150 agi, and 163 raw item AC was at the original AC cap with a displayed AC of 985. The nerf made it so that same monk with 118 AC, or 914 displayed, was now at the soft cap. Any level 51 monk with more than that would've experienced the nerf to varying degrees.

edit: quote is kinda borked, just look at the linked thread (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48312) if you care.

edit2: to be clear, in the end what this really means is that in perfect gear, iksar monks are the best tanks in the game discounting disciplines. but for raiding purposes, /disc defensive being 45% damage mitigation for 3 minutes reigns supreme, regardless of anything else, including race.

wrxBRAH
06-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Ogre over everything. Being able to dodge/parry/riposte a hit when tanking AoW/Vulak > Iksar ac.

eisley
06-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Ogre over everything. Being able to dodge/parry/riposte a hit when tanking AoW/Vulak > Iksar ac.

I'm not entirely certain on how stun and dodge/parry/riposte interact with bash stun, but:

[Mon Mar 18 19:50:22 2002] You are stunned!
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:22 2002] The Avatar of War bashes YOU for 236 points of damage.
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:22 2002] You can't attack while stunned!
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:22 2002] You taunt The Avatar of War to ignore others and attack you!
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:22 2002] You can't attack while stunned!
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:23 2002] You can't attack while stunned!
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:23 2002] Heklar tells the guild, 'CH on ** Rexxor ** (4) ... Kiro next'
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:23 2002] You can't attack while stunned!
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:23 2002] The Avatar of War tries to slash YOU, but YOU parry!
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:23 2002] The Avatar of War was hit by non-melee for 76 points of damage.
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:23 2002] The Avatar of War slashes YOU for 614 points of damage.
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:23 2002] The Avatar of War was hit by non-melee for 76 points of damage.
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:23 2002] The Avatar of War slashes YOU for 704 points of damage.
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:24 2002] You can't attack while stunned!
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:24 2002] You have been healed for 385 points of damage.
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:24 2002] You slash The Avatar of War for 10 points of damage.
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:24 2002] You slash The Avatar of War for 12 points of damage.
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:24 2002] You slash The Avatar of War for 12 points of damage.
[Mon Mar 18 19:50:24 2002] You are unstunned.

additional unrelated tidbit:

Old 06-17-2004 #10
Kavhok
EQ Developer

Kavhok is on a distinguished road
The cap on AC in the Velious era wasn't a soft cap; it was a hard cap that had been there from day 1. After a certain point, which differed for each class, the benefit of more AC didn't just diminish - it dropped to nothing.

The change I referred to, just before PoP, changed that from a hard cap to a soft cap. You get a percentage of the amount over that soft cap. Shields increase both your total and your soft cap, making them more effective than any other item with equal AC. Your mitigation AAs, level, and class also affect the cap and the percentage return for AC over it.

Separate from this, there are diminishing returns if your AC is much greater than the NPC's attack. This is due to the nature of the formulas that produce the probability distributions that have been well documented on this board.

Does that help?

- Kavhok, SOE

Danth
06-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Large races have the additional advantage of being much easier to see in a crowd of thirty people. I consider visibility a greater practical advantage than bash resistance. That being said, race doesn't matter nearly so much as some folks think it matters, and any Warrior can tank anything that any other Warrior can given equivalent gear. If you feel like you need that last few per cent of effectiveness, make the Ogre; otherwise make whatever race you think looks best and be content in knowing you can tank anything in the game anyway.

Danth

mefdinkins
06-02-2015, 01:26 PM
I thought certain mobs in Velious could only be tanked by iksar wars in borderline BIS gear because the AC bonus.

am i completely wrong?

Jimjam
06-02-2015, 01:38 PM
I wasn't raiding in Velious, but I always heard stories that AC was useless against AoW because his attack was so high that no matter what your AC was it was going to be low enough compared to his atk that he was always gonna roll a 20 to hit.

In the benefit of hindsight, was it really that he had such a high ATK or did he actually just have a very high damage bonus, so even his min hit was big?

wrxBRAH
06-02-2015, 01:45 PM
Interesting on the parry while stunned.

Also we had Ogre tanks on live and I don't recall any mob needing an iksar tank in Velious.

Can't remember but I think ac played a bigger role in Luclin and beyond when Pal/SK/monks were viable and sometimes even *better* tanks/OTs.

Vorkon
06-02-2015, 01:55 PM
I thought certain mobs in Velious could only be tanked by iksar wars in borderline BIS gear because the AC bonus.

am i completely wrong?

Any race with upper raid gear could tank anything in Velious fine. I had decent raid gear as a troll and tanked just about everything in Velious (minus the 4 warders, sleeper and somehow I never tanked Dain either regardless of my guild having a lock down on him). Between the ac soft caps, and players having great gear due to 5 years of Kunark it shouldn't be an issue. Some of the cutting edge guilds at the time had halfling warriors and didn't have an issue.

I've never heard of certain bosses requiring an Iksar on live. That being said, if you aren't a troll warrior you are obviously doing it wrong.

Vorkon
06-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Interesting on the parry while stunned.

Also we had Ogre tanks on live and I don't recall any mob needing an iksar tank in Velious.

Can't remember but I think ac played a bigger role in Luclin and beyond when Pal/SK/monks were viable and sometimes even *better* tanks/OTs.

Some of the monk BIS velious gear is loaded in AC, resist, and hp. While I never recall my guild using a Monk to tank any of the main mobs, we used them to off tank all the time in Ssra/Luclin without a problem.

I recall some SK's tanking bosses specific bosses in Luclin from time to time, but it was more out of the ordinary then something you saw a lot.

Its hard to compete with the Warrior disciplines during the Velious era.

khanable
06-02-2015, 03:07 PM
am i completely wrong?

yes

TheThaloc
06-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Large races have the additional advantage of being much easier to see in a crowd of thirty people. I consider visibility a greater practical advantage than bash resistance. That being said, race doesn't matter nearly so much as some folks think it matters, and any Warrior can tank anything that any other Warrior can given equivalent gear. If you feel like you need that last few per cent of effectiveness, make the Ogre; otherwise make whatever race you think looks best and be content in knowing you can tank anything in the game anyway.

Danth

I agree visibility is important for the mt, which is why we saw so many neon green or pink ogres once armor dyes became a thing.

As for race, it does not matter. Your tank will end up double shrunk and stuck in a corner anyway.

theguyy
06-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Nothing compares to Ogre until stun resist AA, which this server will never see. Not to mention the massive str and stamina difference, which is still hard to max even in Velious without raid gear or constant shammy buffs.

eisley
06-02-2015, 04:51 PM
to reiterate, /disc defensive is absolute king in Velious. The Alpha and Omega. Gear, honestly, for raiding... barely matters. You'd rather have another subpar geared warrior to swap in with /disc def for another 3 minutes than a single super geared iksar warrior or monk.

iruinedyourday
06-02-2015, 05:22 PM
How is a Dark Elf in Velious? Will the armour be able to compensate for the physical shortcomings? Because nothing in the game looks remotely as cool as a dual wielding dark elf in full plate! :)

dark elf style points wins them all.

eisley
06-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Any race with upper raid gear could tank anything in Velious fine. I had decent raid gear as a troll and tanked just about everything in Velious (minus the 4 warders, sleeper and somehow I never tanked Dain either regardless of my guild having a lock down on him).

Majority of the Warders, as you probably recall, can be done with two or three clerics and single tank, not needing to rotate Defensives. Very easy to slow, if memory serves we used a pause 80 CH rotation for the first three, and pulled him to a spot where everyone but the tank dodged the AoEs with simple '/gu GET OUT GET OUT' '/gu GET IN GET IN' macros etc. Very NToV-ish. Loot pinatas essentially, as I believe was the intent with lore to support.

It's interesting you bring up Dain though. Dain is a boss I remember fondly, despite getting real sick of killing him 3-5 times a week. He famously spawned as two different versions - one hitting much harder than the other. I believe the easy version quadded around 400 and the hard 650? He's not all that difficult, in fact he's one of the first "true" Velious raid bosses most people do (Klandicar and Wuoshi don't count:) and do very often because of his highly valued loot: head, hammer & to a degree, shield. it's kind of a shock to do at first because the fight is very lengthy, one of the longest in Velious, and one of the first mobs where you've got to deal with Rampage for a long time. It's also the first fight I remember doing with a "strategy" and the difficulties dealing with the fact he banishes every 30 seconds, rather than AEing, and so you had to pre-set Ramp targets and let your tank build a large aggro lead so he would be summoned back to Dain in the pit immediately upon banishment, rather than 32king or him turning and dunking hybrids and then summoning clerics upon MT banishment, and having to deal with an insta-repop linked add who CH'd him. Also the first raid boss I recall to use the "immune to attack speed slowing effects" tag. Maybe Derakor though.

I distinctly recall our initial Dain strat involved monks with Stonestance, and the first kill being nearly a half hour. Those were the days, truly. Many a Frostreaver handed to local appreciative raid loot garbage can and rival-guild tear collector, Gage.

nyclin
06-02-2015, 08:01 PM
Fucking Dain. Worst part was sitting around on your ass waiting for the pull team to get him down the hole.

The best part was giving him a pair of Velium weapons before a rival guild started their attempts.

This actually brings up a good point about Warrior race. The corner that my guild tanked Dain in was too small for anything but a Small race. If a fatty tank died and couldn't get a shrink before their turn was up again, they were basically useless. Something to think about when choosing a race, for sure.

wrxBRAH
06-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Fucking Dain. Worst part was sitting around on your ass waiting for the pull team to get him down the hole.

The best part was giving him a pair of Velium weapons before a rival guild started their attempts.

This actually brings up a good point about Warrior race. The corner that my guild tanked Dain in was too small for anything but a Small race. If a fatty tank died and couldn't get a shrink before their turn was up again, they were basically useless. Something to think about when choosing a race, for sure.

AoN

GinnasP99
06-03-2015, 10:49 AM
Have you seen Cucumbers and Swage with their robes and lightsabers ? Pretty sexy imo

Tuljin
06-03-2015, 10:59 AM

Second only to halfling.

This

Malevz
06-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Hi there.
How does Ogre compare to Iksar in Velious for Warrior? will Iksar overtake Ogre as the best race? Thanks.

Iksar are the master race.

Kutsumo
06-04-2015, 12:37 AM
I have an ever expanding friends list of deleted Kelor characters from him deleting and rerolling every time you guys post a contrary opinion. I'd like to see how many times he will end up rerolling... and with that in mind:

Iksar is clearly the better choice for warrior since both ogre and Iksar can max stamina with velious gear. Warriors are tanks first and foremost, and the iksar AC bonus and HP regen adds up to a noticeable advantage over time. Your avoidances still work while stunned, so Iksar consistently carries the advantage in taking damage even if they do a little less.

The best warrior race is of course Ogre. The frontal stun immunity helps to make sure you're always facing the mob and can adjust your positioning if needed (don't you hate spinning while stunned if you were moving when it hit?), plus it means more DPS and thus more agro. Ogre starts with 60str and 52 stamina more than the Iksar - Even in velious this is a major advantage. It will take a very long time to have BiS gear on the Iksar that equalizes this advantage.

Everyone knows that Dark Elf is the best warrior race. Stats aren't a big deal because Velious gear is loaded with stats. What matters is the small size, sneak and hide! You can afk in dangerous spots and split like a monk while looking cooler than all the other race warriors.

I wonder if he'll still reroll three times if all the opinions are in the same post...

jarshale
06-04-2015, 12:41 AM
All the cool kids play iksar warriors.

JacWhisper
06-04-2015, 02:53 AM
I rolled a barbarian warrior because the woman I was cybering when I was 18 thought my Halfling warrior was ugly.

True story. Not ashamed. Totally cybered.

Jimjam
06-04-2015, 05:18 AM
Everyone knows that Dark Elf is the best warrior race. Stats aren't a big deal because Velious gear is loaded with stats. What matters is the small size, sneak and hide! You can afk in dangerous spots and split like a monk while looking cooler than all the other race warriors.

I wonder if he'll still reroll three times if all the opinions are in the same post...

For what its worth only Halfling (and cats on the moon!) can sneak.

Stupid elves only know how to hide (all they're good for ;)).

Deckk
06-04-2015, 07:45 AM
I can't believe that NONE of you really know what the master warrior race is. For shame.

Lorian
06-04-2015, 08:02 AM
I rolled a barbarian warrior because the woman I was cybering when I was 18 thought my Halfling warrior was ugly.

True story. Not ashamed. Totally cybered.

Ahh, EQ cybering havent we all been there! I was a half elf though and she didnt think I was ugly, she even sent me poems with screenshots of my character attached. Don't think my other half would appreciate me re-enacting that aspect of classic EQ though.. :)

Saludeen
06-04-2015, 08:30 AM
I rolled a barb war because they look cool and still have good stats, plus I can bank in FP and train in Kelethin.

Fazlazen
06-04-2015, 08:32 AM
Majority of the Warders, as you probably recall, can be done with two or three clerics and single tank, not needing to rotate Defensives. Very easy to slow, if memory serves we used a pause 80 CH rotation for the first three, and pulled him to a spot where everyone but the tank dodged the AoEs with simple '/gu GET OUT GET OUT' '/gu GET IN GET IN' macros etc. Very NToV-ish. Loot pinatas essentially, as I believe was the intent with lore to support.

It's interesting you bring up Dain though. Dain is a boss I remember fondly, despite getting real sick of killing him 3-5 times a week. He famously spawned as two different versions - one hitting much harder than the other. I believe the easy version quadded around 400 and the hard 650? He's not all that difficult, in fact he's one of the first "true" Velious raid bosses most people do (Klandicar and Wuoshi don't count:) and do very often because of his highly valued loot: head, hammer & to a degree, shield. it's kind of a shock to do at first because the fight is very lengthy, one of the longest in Velious, and one of the first mobs where you've got to deal with Rampage for a long time. It's also the first fight I remember doing with a "strategy" and the difficulties dealing with the fact he banishes every 30 seconds, rather than AEing, and so you had to pre-set Ramp targets and let your tank build a large aggro lead so he would be summoned back to Dain in the pit immediately upon banishment, rather than 32king or him turning and dunking hybrids and then summoning clerics upon MT banishment, and having to deal with an insta-repop linked add who CH'd him. Also the first raid boss I recall to use the "immune to attack speed slowing effects" tag. Maybe Derakor though.

I distinctly recall our initial Dain strat involved monks with Stonestance, and the first kill being nearly a half hour. Those were the days, truly. Many a Frostreaver handed to local appreciative raid loot garbage can and rival-guild tear collector, Gage.

wasn't it something like Dain 350 and 425?

TheThaloc
06-04-2015, 10:23 AM
wasn't it something like Dain 350 and 425?

That sounds more accurate.

slowpoke68
06-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Well for style, you have to Barb. They have the coolest attack animations. Also you get horns.

On paper it looks like Ogre or Troll would be the best. But just can't get past those run animations.

I have a question. Why are Iskars such good warriors? On paper they don't look all that great. What am I missing? Thanks.

jarshale
06-04-2015, 06:41 PM
I have a question. Why are Iskars such good warriors? On paper they don't look all that great. What am I missing? Thanks.

[x] - cool looking armor
[x] - regen
[x] - ac bonus
[x] - has a tail

iruinedyourday
06-04-2015, 06:42 PM
If i was going to make a warrior, I would make a dark elf. Cus it doesn't really matter and they are my favorite looking race.

I also respect halfling warriors cus they are awesome looking too.

And then maybe next would be a human warrior with an eye patch... which may be my #1 choice now that I think about it.

Samoht
06-04-2015, 06:43 PM

Everybody's stats cap at 255 but iksar has a higher AC cap because they couldn't wear plat in kunark. All warrior races can use the velious armor, though.

Proven Guilty
06-04-2015, 09:24 PM
[x] - cool looking armor
[x] - regen
[x] - ac bonus
[x] - has a tail

khanable
06-04-2015, 11:49 PM
Everybody's stats cap at 255 but iksar has a higher AC cap because they couldn't wear plat in kunark. All warrior races can use the velious armor, though.

This is true a few months in Velious. At the start, Iksars shouldn't be able to wear a few armor sets (Thurg set, namely) that they later have access to. Who knows if they're going to remove IKS for a bit, though!

Roguejm11
06-05-2015, 08:51 AM

Amen

Deckk
06-05-2015, 09:09 AM
None of you are discussing the true master warrior race. For shame.

kaev
06-05-2015, 11:08 AM
None of you are discussing the true master warrior race. For shame.

Aye, elf warriors are pretty amazingly awesome. Dunno why the foolish obsession with various uglies some people around here have. Wood-elfs and their kissing cousins Half-elfs >>>>> all. This is a 16-yo elf-sim after all.

Deckk
06-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Aye, elf warriors are pretty amazingly awesome. Dunno why the foolish obsession with various uglies some people around here have. Wood-elfs and their kissing cousins Half-elfs >>>>> all. This is a 16-yo elf-sim after all.

Close. I do agree that the elves are a superior race. But alas, not master. Entirely too tall. Think shorter.

Samoht
06-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Close. I do agree that the elves are a superior race. But alas, not master. Entirely too tall. Think shorter.

Yeah, it's clear that he's implying halflings.

Deckk
06-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Yeah, it's clear that he's implying halflings.

Also close. Halflings are a good race, but not the master. Their hairy feet disqualify them from being master.

I don't know why all of you keep tinkering with the true master race. (See what I did there? I know. Genius.)

kined
06-05-2015, 12:25 PM
Also close. Halflings are a good race, but not the master. Their hairy feet disqualify them from being master.

I don't know why all of you keep tinkering with the true master race. (See what I did there? I know. Genius.)

i see what you did there, you must be talking about dwarves of course! who else could possibly be considered as the master race.

Deckk
06-05-2015, 12:28 PM
i see what you did there, you must be talking about dwarves of course! who else could possibly be considered as the master race.

*sigh*

Dwarves do have beards. And they have great beards. I don't see why you're all avoiding the true master race, though, it's not like they possess Ak's and are Anonymous.

Jimjam
06-05-2015, 12:59 PM
I get the clue AKAnon is clearly a hint towards 'Also known as non[-implemented]'.

He means mighty warriors of Gukta!

Deckk
06-05-2015, 01:02 PM
I get the clue AKAnon is clearly a hint towards 'Also known as non[-implemented]'.

He means mighty warriors of Gukta!

SO CLOSE!

I'm going to give everyone a really great hint...

They are the shortest race in the game.

They don't have hairy feet.

Their beards are not all that impressive.

They can't ribbit.

They love clockwork things.

They aren't overweight like their Halfling and dwarven brethren.

They become encumbered when picking up a single rusty weapon.

kaev
06-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Give it up Deckk. No wizened little wannabe necromancer with barely the strength lift a plastic table knife using both hands will ever be a real warrior, sorry.

Deckk
06-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Give it up Deckk. No wizened little wannabe necromancer with barely the strength lift a plastic table knife using both hands will ever be a real warrior, sorry.

Your words cut deep. To the core.

Saludeen
06-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Dunno why the foolish obsession with various uglies some people around here have.

Stats. Although I don't understand why people like halflings. Why do they want to play a bald midget?

Samoht
06-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Stats. Although I don't understand why people like halflings. Why do they want to play a bald midget?

Innate sneak pulling on a tank is OP.

Jimjam
06-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Brownies!

brave to chose an NPC race, but okay!
SO CLOSE!

I'm going to give everyone a really great hint...

They are the shortest race in the game.

They don't have hairy feet.

Their beards are not all that impressive.

They can't ribbit.

They love clockwork things.

They aren't overweight like their Halfling and dwarven brethren.

They become encumbered when picking up a single rusty weapon.

Samoht
06-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Brownies!

brave to chose an NPC race, but okay!

Don't brownies have hairy feet? I'm pretty sure he's talking about faeries.

Evia
06-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Gnome > everyone else

tizznyres
06-06-2015, 07:44 AM
Furor was a human and Fires of Heaven was first to clear a huge amount of classic content with him main-tanking. Doesn't really matter, but for min/max Ogre or Iksar, and Iksar really only post-velious.

Deckk
06-06-2015, 08:00 AM
Gnome > everyone else

Ahh! Someone here gets it.

Madbad
06-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Halfling or GTFO

myriverse
06-06-2015, 01:56 PM
Halflings got plenty of hair.

Kelor
06-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Thanks for replies.

Are you able to parry / dodge / block while stunned?

Kelor
06-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Thanks for replies.

Are you able to parry / dodge / block while stunned?
Been through thread again seems this got answered.

Thanks again.

Troxx
06-09-2015, 12:25 AM
Racial benefits are real but the most important factor is your own enjoyment. Racial perks will not make or break your character. No matter your race you will be able to tank content without problems assuming appropriate gear and level.

Ogre most would agree is the best for raw tanking. Big stats. FSI.
Halflings xp fastest and can sneak.
Iksar will have the highest ac in velious.

SamwiseRed
06-10-2015, 12:07 PM
You are gonna be looking at your character a lot so pick w/e looks the best.

http://i.imgur.com/nhYVENC.jpg

I picked troll because they look like badasses in plate and strike fear into raid mobs.

Daldaen
06-10-2015, 12:27 PM
4 HotButton Bars, 3 Chat Boxes, Combat Ability window...

Doesn't look like Classic EQ to me!

I'd love to see what happens if they limit to a single chat box and hot page bar.

Sixpence
06-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Troll, clearly the master Race & that run animation? Looks ace :)

SamwiseRed
06-10-2015, 01:12 PM
4 HotButton Bars, 3 Chat Boxes, Combat Ability window...

Doesn't look like Classic EQ to me!

I'd love to see what happens if they limit to a single chat box and hot page bar.

make it happen but until its across the board I am not going to gimp myself. on blue i use one chat box because blue :)

Xaanka
06-15-2015, 08:14 AM
halfling has the best stats from a min/max perspective with velious itemization, the best racial on the pvp server, and look the coolest
ogre has the best racial from a min/max perspective
iksar has a good racial and good stats
troll is acceptable on blue, horrible on red

Jimjam
06-17-2015, 04:48 AM
I'm a Leatherfoot Raider enthusiast myself, but surely dwarfs have a better statline than halflings?