PDA

View Full Version : 20's Warrior, better DPS Choice?

Sethius Marlowe
05-31-2015, 06:13 AM
Sorry if I'm not in the right place!

Just learned about p99 (played Kunark-PoP) and am absolutely delighted at the fact that I can legitimately relive the awesomeness that was EQ. The community is absolutely stellar and generous and caring, and it just feels the way it used to, I love it.

So, thanks to the largess of a few strangers I've found my Iksar Warrior in possession of a 8/22 and 7/20 1-Handers, as well as a 30/40 2hb. It's very exciting that people would be so nice, but I can't seem to remember which I'm better off going with? I'm assuming the 2-hander, but I can't quite recall when Dual Wield really seems to kick in and balance things out.

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

-Sethius Marlowe

kaev
06-02-2015, 02:31 PM
The 30/40 2hander will be your best damage & agro option for quite some time, probably until you replace it with the Staff of Battle (31/37 2hb). Use the other weapons to train the relevant skills from time to time, so that when you do get stronger 1handers and have the levels to get your damage bonus up you'll be ready to take advantage of them.

Eredhel
06-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Do the 1handers have any procs?

Jimjam
06-02-2015, 03:20 PM
He'll have a Vilik's Dark Defender (7/20 10ac) and Kunzar Ku'juch (8/22 Engulfing darkness, procs lvl 40ish is a necro snare).

edit: I imagine :)

Whirled
06-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Sorry if I'm not in the right place!

Just learned about p99 (played Kunark-PoP) and am absolutely delighted at the fact that I can legitimately relive the awesomeness that was EQ. The community is absolutely stellar and generous and caring, and it just feels the way it used to, I love it.

So, thanks to the largess of a few strangers I've found my Iksar Warrior in possession of a 8/22 and 7/20 1-Handers, as well as a 30/40 2hb. It's very exciting that people would be so nice, but I can't seem to remember which I'm better off going with? I'm assuming the 2-hander, but I can't quite recall when Dual Wield really seems to kick in and balance things out.

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

-Sethius Marlowe

Use that 2 hander [better dmg], until u get a proc'ing 1H weapon. Warriors are behind with taunting agro in lower lvls so mash begging, taunt, kick, everything u got when u can

Sethius Marlowe
06-02-2015, 04:38 PM
thanks, guys!

Sethius Marlowe
06-02-2015, 04:59 PM
So, a lot of different information going around. Does Beg actually do anything for agro?

khanable
06-03-2015, 02:38 PM
Use that 2 hander , until u get a proc'ing 1H weapon. Warriors are behind with taunting agro in lower lvls so [B]mash begging, taunt, kick, everything u got when u can

Don't do this. This makes your job more difficult.

Use taunt as needed (when the mob loses interest in you), follow it with a kick.

AFAIK begging does nothing for threat generation, but I've never tried/tested TBH.

and in terms of raw DPS - it's tough to beat a staff of battle from 20-45ish or so (for the price).

Whirled
06-03-2015, 02:44 PM
So, a lot of different information going around. Does Beg actually do anything for agro?

Sure, they agro in a different way instead of boring, run up and tag or arrow to the shoulder, but hey tomato/tomatoe

Daldaen
06-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Don't do this. This makes your job more difficult.

Use taunt as needed (when the mob loses interest in you), follow it with a kick.

AFAIK begging does nothing for threat generation, but I've never tried/tested TBH.

and in terms of raw DPS - it's tough to beat a staff of battle from 20-45ish or so (for the price).

The bold cannot be over stated. There are two times when you should be mashing taunt:

1. You're soloing and you need to skill it up.
2. You lost aggro and are trying to regain it.

In case #2 the mash should end once you regain aggro. While the mob is beating on you, you never should be using your Taunt button.

Anyone who tells you it gets you 1 point of aggro or whatever they'll say, ignore them, they are being dumb. Whatever hypothetical benefit that has does not outweigh the cost of having taunt down and being unable to use it for several rounds while the mob beats on your cleric or enchanter, and you can do nothing but hope you proc to pull aggro back.

RaptorDisaster
06-10-2015, 02:14 PM
I'm currently level 22 using a Sword of Skyfire and Green Jade Broadsword. My aggro literally does not exist, I basically can't keep aggro off of anybody in any situation unless they root it. I shelved my warrior until I can afford a Staff of Battle and maybe a haste item to see how that works out (Warrior was my first character).

I think I saw you (OP) in kurns while leveling my enchanter after temporarily shelving the warrior =P

Roguejm11
06-10-2015, 03:07 PM
At Level 22, as long as a melee is "tanking" you are prolly ok.

Sethius Marlowe
06-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Yup. I set up camp for-ev-ah. (until friday)

webrunner5
06-27-2015, 01:22 PM
At lower levels without the Epic there really is no agro worth a crap with a Warrior. A Twinked Monk, SK, Pally or Ranger will take your agro in a heartbeat and you are going to have a damn hard time getting it back quickly.

Being a Warrior on here can be a total test of patience. :D Hardy any good Warrior weapon DPS wise procs at early levels, even at level 35ish. Smoldering Brand is one of the few, and it is not really a agro magnet. Just grin and bear it if you have some other good geared DPS'ers in the group lol. :eek: