PDA

View Full Version : Good to haves for a soloing DE Shadow Knight?

Lorian
05-28-2015, 12:30 PM
Dark elves looks sooo cool in plate that you forget about their crap melee stats! I always wanted one, but was scared of all the hate. But alas, Blackmetal is born! He is now level 6, he was given a very light twinkage with bits of bronze and a Dusty BP (200pp) and a few burynai leather bits. My warrior had looted a Cracked Darkwood Shield in Highpass which I gave him along with a Sarnak Skullsplitter which I think is a decent newbie wep. I plan to mostly solo (fear kite) so need a good DPS weapon rather than AC, right?

What would you recommend to get? Any must haves?? I have a Nathsar Greatsword on my pally he could borrow.

Roguejm11
05-28-2015, 03:41 PM
Use the skullsplitter and shield until 20.
Once you hit 20 the damage cap goes away, and I would start using the Nathsar Greatsword.

While you are leveling though, swap to the 2hs to keep the skill up so you can actually use it once you hit 20.

As a DE SK myself, I understand the struggle.

But as I did in 1999, I decided to play a race that I wanted to, not what people told me to play. Did not regret it then, do not regret it now. Granted I am pretty well geared, I do not struggle for str/agi/dex/ac. STA really the only low point, but a lot of gear coming in Velius for SKs fixes that for us.

Lorian
05-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the advice! The Icewind Dale books was the main inspiration for this character and I've already followed Drizzts example a bit and managed to (at level 8) not be KoS to most of the Qeynos population and the merchants will even sell to me. Casters still attack though, not sure if that can be mended?

kaev
05-28-2015, 09:04 PM
Nathsar Greatsword is good at L1 really. Just keep in mind that from L1 thru L9 it is 10/30 and from L10 thru L19 it is 14/30 (will outdamage the Skullsplitter with equal skill starting at L10), at L20+ it will be the listed 17/30.

Also, the Skullsplitter will be worth using at times even after L20 if you have a worthwhile shield and you want to bash interrupt casters.

Lorian
05-29-2015, 05:46 AM
I'll probably save up for a Noctivagant Blade and a better 2-hander at some point, and I'd love to have some Darkforge armor just for the looks. Or something else dark that ties in with the class. Hopefully I can hit 15 during the double xp weekend! :)

Roguejm11
05-29-2015, 08:20 AM
A full set of Darkforge is actually still very good gear for an SK. Its the only "cheap" armor you can get with STA on it.

Also, if you happen to know anyone that can make the Enchanted Tier'Dal. Its kinda expensive but WORTH it. My SK was not my original character, a druid was, but when I decided to start my SK I purchased an entire full set of the dark blue set of awesomeness. I wore that set from level 10-54.

Nightbear
06-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Soloing on SK is rough, need a lot of mana if you don't foresee a Fungi in your future. Haste is also important, not sure what level your other characters are but if you can swing a FBSS or camp a Hangman's noose it would help. Other than that, STR/HP/INT/Mana, going to need a large mana pool if you plan on fear kiting.

Daldaen
06-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Circlet of Shadow, though it doesn't help you kill mobs, it is an invaluable item for pulling, soloing, grouping, raiding and all around SKing.

Get yourself one of these and it will make your life immensely easier 20+.

williestargell
06-05-2015, 02:25 PM
If you're a dark elf you could sneak your evil little butt to kithicor some time when there's a General kill going down and get yourself a shield and 2h from there for FREE.

Also, as a Dark Elf you've got the ability to quest for Reapers and sell them as a pretty good cash source while exp'ing in befallen.