PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Rampant Dispel Everywhere

Naethyn
05-22-2015, 01:03 PM
It sure does seem like every single caster mob on this server prioritizes dispel over everything else. I don't remember classic dispelling this much. Dispel was expected at some camps and it was a known thing to occur. Here, it feels like everything dispels and it happens often.

Why does everything dispel so often here? Is there a reasoning for it?

eisley
05-22-2015, 01:25 PM
To me it seems like it happens because of the low mana cast, once a mob has gone out of mana, the only spell it will cast from that point forward is dispel, as that is the first it can afford.

Also, not totally related to dispel, but spell seems to be a priority basis, ie. certain mobs won't cast a x spell unless it has already landed y spell

Personally I don't mind it. Pick up some items and junk buff properly and you'll find yourself much preferring dispel to a couple of Ice Comets that love to hit thru 140 CR for full damage :)

Scrubosaur
05-25-2015, 09:31 PM
Junk buffs don't work as the 2 3 or 4th buff will randomly be dispelled. They broke something with the last patch that change how dispel worked vs buffs and how mobs cast the spell. Now it's just silly. The only mobs I remember casting dispel were enchanter mobs (tolapumj comes to mind).

eisley
05-27-2015, 12:37 AM
Junk buffs don't work as the 2 3 or 4th buff will randomly be dispelled. They broke something with the last patch that change how dispel worked vs buffs and how mobs cast the spell. Now it's just silly. The only mobs I remember casting dispel were enchanter mobs (tolapumj comes to mind).

This is not accurate

Scrubosaur
05-27-2015, 01:42 AM
It is entirely accurate. Try the treants in SK. Playing on my shaman I junked buffed the first 2 slots but the treants would randomly debuff a different slot especially if they had casted a dot on me. It was always the 2nd or 3rd cast that was a dispel and I never noticed them casting dispel when they were low mana. Maybe it's the lowest level dispel that is out of wack.

eisley
05-27-2015, 03:17 AM
you even posted in this thread, so I assume you should know how dispel works

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178639

buffs have a spell strength, and dispels have a dispel strength. junk buffing is entirely possible and very important in some situations. Saying the "2 3 or 4th buff will randomly be dispelled" is flat out incorrect, not even remotely true.

EQsale
05-27-2015, 03:27 AM
he does got a point when mobs dispell you on p99 it will be random so its hard too even junk buff top 5 slots like it was back in the day on classic

i recall they always dispelled top slot and working down on classic not just dispellin once and ur hero is gone which sits in slot 6 1st cast BS

Scrubosaur
05-27-2015, 11:21 AM
you even posted in this thread, so I assume you should know how dispel works

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178639

buffs have a spell strength, and dispels have a dispel strength. junk buffing is entirely possible and very important in some situations. Saying the "2 3 or 4th buff will randomly be dispelled" is flat out incorrect, not even remotely true.

Yes I know how dispel works and it is working wrong on this server. Dispel would always hit your top buff and in the case of some dragons in Velious the top 2 slots. If it was a higher level mob casting a high level dispel it could dispel a few buffs based on counters. But you could consistently rebuff your top slot buffs after each dispel. On p99 the dispel slot is random which is wrong.

Haynar
05-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Dispell is not random.

Cancel Magic (9) always removes top slots, unless the buffs got reordered on client compared to what server thinks.

h

Daldaen
05-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Dispell is not random.

Cancel Magic (9) always removes top slots, unless the buffs got reordered on client compared to what server thinks.

h

Yea dragon AEs will remove top down every time without fail.

It's only caster Dispels that remove out of order depending on counters.

The real problem is that caster NPCs default to casting Dispels far too often when they are low on mana. They shouldn't cast dispel nearly as much as they do.

Scrubosaur
05-28-2015, 01:48 AM
Dispell is not random.

h

Maybe that is the issue. Some how the server is getting the debuff order confused based on rebuffing or something. You can easily test this on the treants in SK. Buff up with 4-5 level appropriate buffs and see which ones get dispelled first.

evilkorn
05-28-2015, 02:29 AM
Overwriting spells seem to bug out the client buff order the most. When fighting enchanter mobs as a monk with eipc/robe going, I've had it show the slow at the top, but the client thinks it is on the bottom and will dispel everything first and then the slow will drop. I'm pretty sure this fixes itself when you zone/camp but mid fight it's annoying to try to dispel yourself or tell someone to dispel you and it just strips buffs below it.

Thulghor
05-28-2015, 06:05 AM
Dervs are going out of their way to dispel me, which is weird. That seems to have become their go-to move.

Technique
05-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Maybe that is the issue. Some how the server is getting the debuff order confused based on rebuffing or something. You can easily test this on the treants in SK. Buff up with 4-5 level appropriate buffs and see which ones get dispelled first.Treants cast Cancel Magic, which has a strength of 1, not 9 like the typical dragon dispel.

I'd wager that, 99% of the time, buffs appearing to be removed randomly is due to that and not buff order problems.

Nirgon
05-28-2015, 05:22 PM
a buff fading (running out after its full duration) and then another being reapplied seems to bug out the buff stacking/jumping to the top

I casted 3 annuls one time on a top slotted Acid Breath from Nexona to no avail... after clicking off every single buff, annul magic worked the first time. I would imagine that sometime during the fight a fire shield faded on its own to cause some kind of buff stacking issue.

Nuggie
05-28-2015, 11:52 PM
Hah, i thought this was intended.

eisley
06-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Maybe that is the issue. Some how the server is getting the debuff order confused based on rebuffing or something. You can easily test this on the treants in SK. Buff up with 4-5 level appropriate buffs and see which ones get dispelled first.

Right. Now try it with junk buffing. Put See Invis in slot 1 and see what gets dispelled every time.

Thulghor
06-08-2015, 06:16 AM
A Drachnid Recluse in Dreadlands just landed a DoT on me, then immediately dispelled his own DoT. /boggle

Mobs seem to be dispelling all the time if they have it. While I don't remember that being classic, my brother claims it happened quite a bit in Velious content, so I don't know for sure.