PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth starting now?

JustStig
05-13-2015, 06:55 PM
Hi all,
Recovering eq addict 15 years sober.

I was wondering is it even worth hopping onto this wagon knowing that the top end is all dominated?

What I mean is that is it even possible to get gear / gear myself up as once I reach the 50s?

I'm not talking about the best in slot or anything just reasonably decent so that I'm not a total gimp i.e decaying skeleton cloth armor @ lvl 60.

Thank you.

P.S Lvl 4 Enchanter and rising :)

Kika Maslyaka
05-14-2015, 12:51 AM
definitely ;)

jarshale
05-14-2015, 12:52 AM
yep

rekreant
05-14-2015, 12:55 AM
Not only is it possible, your perception of the domination is false as well. Its relatively fair when the main players of the top guilds are in play. And you have as much chance of getting there as anyone else, if you make the effort it will happen. I often have to remind myself and others that if you arent lvl 60 you really shouldnt worry about too much other than your next lvl.

jarshale
05-14-2015, 12:55 AM
Actually because the server is so top heavy, cheap gear is everywhere.

Madbad
05-14-2015, 01:44 AM
roll red

Herp
05-14-2015, 06:13 AM
A lot of starter gear is so cheap that its just given away now adays. End game gear is very much about how much platinum you own.

fastboy21
05-14-2015, 06:15 AM
as "top heavy" as p99 is there is still a remarkably healthy amount of folks/guilds that play the entire scope of the game. you will meet people and find many groups at all levels. there are still "leveling guilds" and "family guilds" casually moving through content all the way from the very very beginning of the raid game.

if you like EQ be very careful...p99 might ruin your life again!

Credge
05-14-2015, 06:19 AM
Absolutely. I'm playing it as a casual game at the moment. Pulling a mob, killing it, resting, and mixing this album I'm working on.

Varren
05-14-2015, 06:43 AM
Run away as fast as you can

khanable
05-14-2015, 07:31 AM
Yes absolutely

Plenty of lower level players. With Velious coming out soon you'll get a shot at utilizing some of the lower level zones too (tower of frozen shadow, etc).

Now is probably the best time for people to get involved!

Deckk
05-14-2015, 08:19 AM
OP,

Why not start now? For me, the joy of EQ is the EQ experience. I've played other MMOs, and they're alright or good, but it's running from one exclamation mark to the next. I have a hard time sticking with them, too.

And coming back to EQ I figured out why: I started playing MMOs with EQ. The grind, the free for all experience, and the ability to play through the game and not miss "the story" just because you're not constantly questing or you missed one.

Play EQ to have fun. Play EQ to get the best gear that you can. If it's raid stuff, good for you. If it's crappy stuff that just allows you to be effective at level 60, good for you. If it's just to level a bunch of alts with no main, good for you.

EQ is about the experience. :)

MycahDavith
05-14-2015, 09:35 AM
OP,

I found out about P1999 Feb of this year. Installed, and I think its prolly the best gaming decision I have ever made. Being older, and more mature, getting other real life things in order and settled down. I'm able to come back to this game with a fresh perspective. And am able to enjoy this game in a completely new light.

DOOOOO EEEEEET!!!!

myriverse
05-14-2015, 09:41 AM
What always made EQ "worth it" was the trip to the end game.

imajester
05-14-2015, 09:46 AM
The trip and the friends you make it with. I find that EQ (or any MMO for that matter) is much, much better when you don't go it alone.

webrunner5
05-14-2015, 09:49 AM
A lot of starter gear is so cheap that its just given away now adays. End game gear is very much about how much platinum you own.

Well stated, and there are few Guilds on here that have from level 1's to 60's in them. So the top end people help with ports, advise, gear, plat, etc. at times.

And like been said with Velious coming out in August opens up a lot more zones and fees up a lot of the old ones. Win, Win. :D

jumox
05-14-2015, 10:13 AM
There is still a lot of players in low level zones.
You can start playing for sure !

Roguejm11
05-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Hi all,

I was wondering is it even worth hopping onto this wagon knowing that the top end is all dominated?

What I mean is that is it even possible to get gear / gear myself up as once I reach the 50s?

I'm not talking about the best in slot or anything just reasonably decent so that I'm not a total gimp i.e decaying skeleton cloth armor @ lvl 60.

Thank you.

P.S Lvl 4 Enchanter and rising :)

There seems to be people playing in every zone. Lowbies killing Orcs at in EC, lots of groups in Oasis killing crocs, lots of groups in LOIO, etc. But like a few have said, because there is some top heavy numbers, it drives some of the gear to cheaper prices. Put people are still buying pelts, belts, and bone chips.

Kutsumo
05-14-2015, 10:43 AM
It feels just as busy in low/mid level zones on this server as I remember it being back in the day. The endgame has gotten much more tolerable with the raid rules in place. I definitely recommend joining a guild that's on the sky rotation when you get high enough, though.

Shanarias
05-14-2015, 10:44 AM
if you like EQ be very careful...p99 might ruin your life again!

Oh well. I survived it the first time. :)

Nikkanu
05-14-2015, 10:45 AM
The server has been at kunark for like 4 years so all but Best-In-Slot items are plentiful and fairly cheap. Plat is also very easy to make on this server due to the fact that there is so much of it. My best advice is for your first character either play a class that isn't gear dependant but is highly desirable in groups (cleric and enchanter are good choices), a class that can solo very well and farm plat (shaman, necro, druid, enchanter), or a class that can port (wizard, druid).

tarkhis
05-14-2015, 02:42 PM
I just started back a week ago and can say that it is absolutely worth it. I missed the fear in MMO's it's too easy in today's games where you die and respawn at zone entrance with some slightly damaged gear or run as ghost back to your body.

I just hit level 8 and did the stein of Mogguk quest and was on the edge of my seat when it turned dark in Kith, or when I did the long run to Queynos from EC, all I kept think was man a CR at this point will just suck. I actually did die in the stupid pally pool, I got exhausted swimming to loot fish and couldn't swim out. Some members of the guild go team good guys resurrected me and saved me a really long naked run. It was amazing.

My interactions with people on this server have been awesome. People have donated gear, answered questions on information that I forgot a long time ago. I have had no issues finding Groups. There seems to be a very healthy population of low levels balanced between some twink alts and true newbies.

I am tooling around on my enchanter Tamilyn now and have even received some upgraded gear and paid it forward by handing previously donated gear to other newbies.

I have 3 more friends all returning the game as well now.

Nirgon
05-14-2015, 03:34 PM
Hi all,

Come to red we got the only cure for the sickness

more sickness

Champion_Standing
05-14-2015, 04:35 PM
Forums are at least twice as hard as the actual game, and everyone knows there is never a good time to start planning EQ, it will make you suffer.

jojober
05-14-2015, 04:54 PM
I have tried breaking my way into the server a few times, and the people have all been very kind. I will say that *FOR ME* a lot of the fun and excitement of trying that next camp, or working hard to take down a strong mob is kind of less when you have a level 10 rogue or cleric with epics. Maybe a bit of that is jealousy :p But for me it was a little discouraging trying to break in with low levels being so OP by their high level players who have put in the time to twink out alts. I think if enough people wanted to group up and play together without that uber gear, I would enjoy it a lot more.

After losing complete interest in the new TLP since there will practically be no rules, p99 is looking more and more and more appealing to try again. I just hope I can find untwinked players to enjoy it with.... or twink me too jk jk jk.

RevengeofGio
05-14-2015, 04:58 PM
Well my best time playing was in a group with 1 member each from guilds that didn't like each other... there was a jerk that trained us and tried to take our camp. You'd have thought we were all life long buddies.

Those people exist at the end game... do it can't be all that bad.

Clark
05-14-2015, 07:39 PM
definitely ;)

Clark
05-14-2015, 07:41 PM
The server has been at kunark for like 4 years so all but Best-In-Slot items are plentiful and fairly cheap. Plat is also very easy to make on this server due to the fact that there is so much of it. My best advice is for your first character either play a class that isn't gear dependant but is highly desirable in groups (cleric and enchanter are good choices), a class that can solo very well and farm plat (shaman, necro, druid, enchanter), or a class that can port (wizard, druid).

Hakun
05-15-2015, 02:20 AM
I started in december last year and I have never had any problems getting a group or finding a good solo spot.