PDA

View Full Version : Shadowknight race help

Zehrikrom
04-21-2015, 03:12 PM
I'm stuck on figuring out which race I want for my ShadowKnight. I made a list of pros and cons, but I still can't decide.

Human
+Really neat guild hall on Qeynos
+Can follow Bertoxxulous (the best deity ofc)
+Stats ain't bad
+Armor looks good on them
+Easy to cosplay
-Boring. Really boring.
-Have to avoid running into Gash Flockwalker to get to the guild hall
-Qeynos is underpopulated

Dark Elf
+Incredibly metal
+Long hair on males
+Armor looks REALLY good on them
+Neriak is neato
-Are elves
-Low strength and stamina cripple a bit
-No Bertoxxulous :(

Ill finish this shortly, i have more choices.

loramin
04-21-2015, 03:48 PM
I think it comes down to priorities. End game power-wise I think it's a three-way fight between Trolls/Iksar (for regen) and Ogre (for frontal stun immunity). But from your list so far it seems like you care more about intangibles, and no one can really help you with them since things like appearance are pretty subjective.

As for the starting area stuff, I'd really encourage you not to base your decision on them. It doesn't really matter where you start, since you are always just a single kind druid or wizard away from the starting area you want to have, so why be stuck with looks/abilities that are permanent just to get a very temporary starting area?

Well, unless you're an evil race, but even then as long as you get your main to farm some bone chips or whatever to help you fix faction you'll be ok.

Zehrikrom
04-21-2015, 03:53 PM
The site won't let me edit my other post. Here's the rest.

Iksar
+Scales and tails
+Not 'human variety #14' like every other race
+AC bonus
+Min/maxers will like me
+HP regen
+Cazic Thule is the 2nd best deity
+Really good starting zone
-Slow levelers
-Very secluded from other races
-Gear looks like it was drawn in crayon
-Bad at getting along with other races
-No plate while leveling

Troll
-no

Ogre
-no

Erudite
+Special snowflakes
+Foreheads
+Every set is a robe with a hood
-Cripplingly miniscule Strength and Slamina
-No Bertoxxulous
-I have no clue how to get to or from Paineel

Kutsumo
04-21-2015, 04:05 PM
From your list and given disinterest in troll/ogre, Iksar is the only one I'd consider. Gear problems for them should evaporate in Velious and the bonus AC will just be gravy at that point.

As long as you're not worried about the min/maxing aspect of choosing Iksar/Troll/Ogre, just go with what you like. The other races will have very little tangible difference between them.

I will say that I think Humans are probably the least common race on P99. They aren't the "best" for any class, and thus don't often get rolled. They look pretty cool.

Aaramis
04-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Based on your priorities list, I'd say Human, Iksar, or Dark Elves are your best bet.

I personally like Iksar SKs, as they have some interesting history and Greenmist (which won't be available on P99 by the sounds of it) is amazing. On live, they end up with the one bonus no other race can get via AAs - bonus AC.

Human are also interesting in that they're one of the few SKs that can get around without being absolutely KoS to everyone and everything. And being a Plague Knight (Bertoxx) is cool from a RP perspective too. Humans also look decent with Velious plate graphics, and have access to some good plate stuff that Iksar can't get (i.e. hero bracers, blood ember, etc.). Slightly less XP penalty both now, and after the penalties are removed (as racial penalty still applies).

Zehrikrom
04-21-2015, 04:23 PM
And the winner is: Iksar!

lecompte
04-21-2015, 04:51 PM
I will say that I think Humans are probably the least common race on P99. They aren't the "best" for any class, and thus don't often get rolled. They look pretty cool.

Except, arguably, monk and ranger.

Kutsumo
04-21-2015, 04:56 PM

I can see arguing for human as best race for ranger, but monk? It's basically the same situation as iksar vs human in this thread, except you don't even have to worry about the plate armor problem.

Crawdad
04-21-2015, 05:25 PM
I don't see how anyone can put up with the Iksar 2-hand slashing attack animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFsvESLXqCE

I've always wanted to roll a Troll SK, but too many other toons to be played. Troll>DE>(Gnome)>Erudite>Human>Ogre, personally. Cause Ogres r dum.

Itap
04-21-2015, 05:35 PM
Iksar 2HS animation is so bad. And the SK Epic is 2HS. You do the math!

wormed
04-21-2015, 05:54 PM
Ignoring everything the OP said:

Roll Troll or Ogre.

Zehrikrom
04-22-2015, 01:52 AM
Okay, a troll I can live with. Trolls are awesome, but when I make a troll she'll be a shaman. Ogres aren't appealing at all.

Regardless, I re-re-re-made my decision and rolled a Dank Elf.

Colgate
04-22-2015, 02:31 AM

the advantages iksars have over humans for monks are colossal

Conky
04-22-2015, 04:59 AM
Iksar-greenmist too

ArumTP
04-22-2015, 05:46 AM
No iksar, only good for greenmist, maybe some AC bonus stuff

I'd rather have FD pants on any other race.

Roguejm11
04-22-2015, 08:35 AM
DE is clearly the correct choice here.

Once Velious is out, all the "important" stuff you think you are missing as a Troll or Orge just doesn't matter. I personally do not think it matters now. Oh noes!!! I cannot be stunned from the front, yet on raids I see Orges getting stunned all the time. And if you think the troll regen is going to help you while you are tanking in a group or raid... hehe.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Deadguy

holsteinrx7
04-22-2015, 11:26 PM
Ogre or you will quit

Rangerboy
04-22-2015, 11:33 PM
Ogre...can't stun them, and higher strength. DE for looks.

Roguejm11
04-23-2015, 08:28 AM
Ogre...can't stun them, and higher strength. DE for looks.

This is always hilarious to me. Ogre's can only be not be stunned from the front.

From the side, No.
From the back, No.
From above them where they can't see the damn mob, No. (Sky for example, or VS)
I see Ogre tanks getting stunned ALL the time because mobs are being pushed so much.

Higher str doesn't mean crap either really. I am a DE and have over 200 str unbuffed. I get a str buff from... a cleric, a paladin, a druid, or a shaman I am at 255. So capped, just like an orge.

The only stat we really can't compete on well is STA. I only hit like 175 on raids. So fully raid buffed I am like 300-400hp less than an ogre or troll. Which is only 1-2 swings from a raid mob. If I am actually tanking, the CH cycle would be high enough to not let me get to 400hp only, so it really doesn't matter.

webrunner5
04-23-2015, 09:39 AM
When Velious comes out you will kiss ass to have Stun resistance. :D It may not make a big difference but when mobs summon you will will be a happy camper you have it.

And getting in 2 or 3 more hits, or casting 2 or 3 more spells when fights lasts minutes, not seconds like now, can mean the difference between life and death. :p

Rangerboy
04-23-2015, 09:41 AM
Yeah I guess its really personal preference since higher levels doesnt really matter what you are. I was just thinking race when starting new character, assuming no armor or money.

Kutsumo
04-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Let me preface this by saying I have no issue with people rolling a race because they like it, and that race choice will rarely if ever lock you out from completing content that a different race could have. I played a human monk and a wood elf warrior back in the day and did perfectly fine, but I did accept the fact that there are disadvantages instead of stubbornly arguing that "it don't matter at end game" to make myself feel better.

This is such a tired argument... The reality is that having 40-50 more str and 30+ more stam before even equipping gear *IS* an advantage, regardless of how easy it is to cap str. While it is indeed very easy to max str on a low str race, you are wearing str gear to do it. That means you are filling slots with str while the ogre can just focus on stam/hp/resists and pull even further ahead on stam/hp than they were already. Sure, top end velious raid gear changes this to a large degree by putting all the stats you want on the same piece of armor, but honestly how many people are going to be decked out in this equipment?

This whole "well less damage doesn't matter to a tank" or "well 300hp is only 1-2 hits from a raid mob" argument is silly. Why even equip gear, then? Another few hundred HP won't matter, another X won't matter... right up until it matters. That's why we strive to upgrade our stats in the first place, and why getting geared up makes content easier.

The frontal stun immune or regen is just gravy on top of the stat advantage.

Anyway, bravo zulu to the OP for choosing a race based on personal preference rather than just min/maxing stats. There are all too many min/maxers like myself around here.

Zehrikrom
04-23-2015, 11:39 AM
D'aww, thanks. I planned on never raiding here anyway, and I figured I'd get groups regardless of race. If that gnome cleric can be an asset, so can I, dammit!

I really need to level him though, he has some rawhide and some banded but still sitting halfway through level 1. :p

Zehrikrom
04-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Ogre or you will quit
I'd quit if i rolled ogre.

Kutsumo
04-23-2015, 11:44 AM
D'aww, thanks. I planned on never raiding here anyway, and I figured I'd get groups regardless of race. If that gnome cleric can be an asset, so can I, dammit!

I really need to level him though, he has some rawhide and some banded but still sitting halfway through level 1. :p

You will definitely get groups regardless of race, and no guilds will turn you down based on race. In fact, you'll probably be more welcome in groups than a SK with a racial penalty on top of the class penalty.

Early levels untwinked are probably my least favorite experience in this game. All the missing, no unique class skills... So boring! At least the XP bar moves fast.

Danth
04-23-2015, 04:06 PM
This whole "well less damage doesn't matter to a tank" or "well 300hp is only 1-2 hits from a raid mob" argument is silly. Why even equip gear, then? Another few hundred HP won't matter, another X won't matter... right up until it matters.

I agree it matters, but with a caveat: It doesn't matter nearly so much as some folks seem to think. This is a class which doesn't typically main-tank raids, particularly not raid bosses, and especially not come Velious. Those few Shadow Knights who tank raid named more than once in a blue moon are the exception, not the rule. If you want to main tank raid bosses with any regularity, make a Warrior. Most the established guilds on P1999 have so many Warriors that they hardly even use their hybrids to tank trash, let alone named.

All races have sufficient stats for group or solo content that they'll do. The bottom line is that I agree the large race stats confer an advantage--and the player should be aware of it (so discussion like this is useful)--but I don't consider it enough of an advantage to justify choosing a race solely on stats. If I picked an Ogre it'd be because I liked Ogres, and I'd consider the stat advantage a nice side bonus.

For what it's worth I mostly wish my Shadow Knight (long since level 60) had better mana regen, and *no* race gets that.

Danth

Madbad
04-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Erudite all the way.They win at fashion quest when they are tanks.

Roguejm11
04-24-2015, 03:06 PM
All races have sufficient stats for group or solo content that they'll do. The bottom line is that I agree the large race stats confer an advantage--and the player should be aware of it (so discussion like this is useful)--but I don't consider it enough of an advantage to justify choosing a race solely on stats. If I picked an Ogre it'd be because I liked Ogres, and I'd consider the stat advantage a nice side bonus.

Danth

Basically what Danth said. Does it matter, can it matter? Sure. Does it matter enough that someone should base their race on it? An option you will never be able to change. No.

blondeattk
04-24-2015, 10:49 PM
picked ogre cos of rallos zek and velious....[giant faction for the nuubs]

Lookin forward to dorf killin and dwagon smitin!

webrunner5
04-25-2015, 11:21 AM
Basically what Danth said. Does it matter, can it matter? Sure. Does it matter enough that someone should base their race on it? An option you will never be able to change. No.

Well said, but IF and I mean IF AC sort of does work in Velious like it should being able to shedding some Str, Sta gear for more AC would be a big help for Tanks. Probably not game changing but sort of like in a car, you can feel 15 more HP in the seat of your pants lol. :p

holsteinrx7
04-25-2015, 08:35 PM
sks fall flat on their face from 50-56 and being a ogre helps out a lot during that time. the next best race is iksar but they have far less hp. id go ogre 5 into agi rest into sta.

pink grapefruit
04-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Honestly, it's such a shame they removed the shorty hybrids here :(

The correct answer is gnome. Bertoxxulous of course is the best SK deity, plus ability to see through walls and fun tinkered armor in Velious. Plus there is nothing cooler than a deadly gnome wielding a huge 2hs and harmtouching people. Gnomes clearly make the best evils.