PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous: Spider Silk Too Rare?

Dinbin
04-16-2015, 10:44 AM
Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but...

I'm trying to work my tailoring up from 26 to 80. So I've been looking all over for regular spider silks. Last night I tried several zones (Everfrost, WK/EK, Toxxulia), all places where large spiders spawn. I killed about 20-30 large spiders of various varieties, and maybe netted 5 or 6 spider silks. This drop rate seems to be more in line with "rare" instead of "common". Most spiders simply had no loot at all. I do recall original EQ having these silks as a fairly common drop; some even dropping 3 or 4!

Am I wrong?

Brocode
04-17-2015, 03:16 AM
Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but...

I'm trying to work my tailoring up from 26 to 80. So I've been looking all over for regular spider silks. Last night I tried several zones (Everfrost, WK/EK, Toxxulia), all places where large spiders spawn. I killed about 20-30 large spiders of various varieties, and maybe netted 5 or 6 spider silks. This drop rate seems to be more in line with "rare" instead of "common". Most spiders simply had no loot at all. I do recall original EQ having these silks as a fairly common drop; some even dropping 3 or 4!

Am I wrong?

they were like that in 2013, not sure what happened from there to now. Its really odd the drop rate, but since never directly affected me, didnt post up.

maximum
04-17-2015, 08:39 AM
EK crag spiders?

Man0warr
04-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Last time I killed Crag Spiders in EK they were dropping 2-3 silk each, that wasn't too long ago.

Olum
04-17-2015, 10:44 AM
EK spiders 2-7 silks per kill. 5 or 6 spawns in small area. Can fill all your bags in a day

Ele
04-17-2015, 11:34 AM
I remember the days of having to carry a sewing kit with you to combine the silks into swatches as you looted them so you could actually carry a decent quantity.

loramin
04-17-2015, 12:37 PM
As others have said, Crag Spiders are the way to go for collecting silk. I do feel like the other spiders (eg. Carrion) have a lower drop rate than they did on live though.

If you can find some evidence (eg. use the Wayback machine to find an Allakhazam comment from '00 where someone mentions averaging 2 silks per Carrion Spider kill or something) you should submit it and the devs might correct the loot table.

maximum
04-17-2015, 02:06 PM
I remember the days of having to carry a sewing kit with you to combine the silks into swatches as you looted them so you could actually carry a decent quantity.

Yep. Silks should be unstackable until Velious comes: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73284 & http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96996

Bump those classics!

Catashe
04-17-2015, 04:24 PM
You can also try Field of Bone.. the Bonecrawlers seem to drop alot of silk too

Daldaen
04-17-2015, 06:50 PM
You can also try Field of Bone.. the Bonecrawlers seem to drop alot of silk too

From my recollection FoB was good for Spiderling Silk. Not Spider Silk.

EKarana was always my go to. The Crag Spiders drop up to 7-8 at a time, which is very nice.

Also yes, Spider(ling) Silk didn't used to be stackable back during classic, it was only stackable in the combined variety (swatches/threads)

Catashe
04-17-2015, 08:58 PM
From my recollection FoB was good for Spiderling Silk. Not Spider Silk.

EKarana was always my go to. The Crag Spiders drop up to 7-8 at a time, which is very nice.

Also yes, Spider(ling) Silk didn't used to be stackable back during classic, it was only stackable in the combined variety (swatches/threads)

yea well the bonecrawlers in the pit drop ALOT more spider silk than they seemed to on live..

wycca
04-17-2015, 10:02 PM
My guess is that the drop tables on some of these spiders were pulled from Magelo. The problem with Magelo, is that spider silk is (on live) on a drop table that's had like 30-40 other things added to it over the years. Ergo, the live drop rates on spider silk are not a good thing to go on imo.

You'd probably be better sourcing a bunch of classic quotes on the drop rate on specific mobs in specific zones. Difficult, a pita, but likely the only way to get it changed.

kaev
04-17-2015, 10:29 PM

Aye, small sewing kits were standard gear for a lot of lowbies. Patchwork leather at first and then for the silk swatches and threads once they were in the game. Will be awesome if they have the non-stackable silks in for the recycle server if/when that happens.