PDA

View Full Version : Shadowknight Weapon/skill question.

herb_gotti
04-01-2015, 05:23 PM
Okay My Shadowknight is lvl 40.

I use to be able to tell a big difference in keeping aggro when using a 1hander and shield VS 2hander.

My weapons: Noctivagant Blade and Atramentous Shield

Stats on blade http://wiki.project1999.com/Noctivagant_Blade

2hd Green Jade Halberd

Stats on 2 hander http://wiki.project1999.com/Green_Jade_Halberd

I know the blade and shield add a lot of stats but because i'm an ogre I don't need to worry about Bash as I can Slam .

I know the SK epic is a 2 hander so at what point should I start using the GJH over Noct and shield?

I don't have any worn haste btw if that helps. Thanks!

mr_jon3s
04-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Your job in a group is to hold aggro. Seems like the sword and board is gonna hold it. I wouldn't worry about getting your epic but you should also keep all your weapon skills maxed as you level so you don't have to worry about skilling up if you do get a major upgraded weapon.

herb_gotti
04-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Your job in a group is to hold aggro. Seems like the sword and board is gonna hold it. I wouldn't worry about getting your epic but you should also keep all your weapon skills maxed as you level so you don't have to worry about skilling up if you do get a major upgraded weapon.

I've used both weapons while being a MT and I really can't tell which one hold better agro. You would think the Noct blade does because it hits faster but I was told when you hit for more you get damaged more from the Mob.

I'm just wondering what's a better combo overall. Sorry to be difficult. I was also tempted to sell all both weapons and get an upgrade but i don't know what else is better than what I have. at least for the noct and shield.

I do have my 2hand and 1hand skill maxed out.

Samoht
04-02-2015, 09:23 AM
by the way, SKs don't use weapons for aggro - they use disease cloud.

you're also not in the group to DPS - you're there to tank.

use a 1h + shield for more stats/armor while your tanking and a 2h for situations where you're kiting or duoing.

Roguejm11
04-02-2015, 09:24 AM
The Noc blade and Atr shield are pretty much the best weapon combo you can get while tanking for an SK. It can be used all the way to 60 without a problem. I am almost 57 and have been using both of those since my early 30's. The stats are great, the weapon dmg/delay ratio is amazing, and the resists on the shield are one of the best.

If you are REALLY wanting to jump to a 2hander, I would suggest only using it when you are not the one tanking or solo/fear kiting. And the Green Jade is pretty decent already.

herb_gotti
04-02-2015, 01:29 PM
by the way, SKs don't use weapons for aggro - they use disease cloud.

you're also not in the group to DPS - you're there to tank.

use a 1h + shield for more stats/armor while your tanking and a 2h for situations where you're kiting or duoing.

Right, I just like to be able to put out dps. Which, if you put out more dps it helps aggro. but ya DC all day for aggro and other hate spells.

So, I guess my question is does it really matter what weapon combo I use? Again, the only reason I would say 1hand and shield is because more stats for me. Thank you for your opinion.

Ezalor
04-02-2015, 01:29 PM
as a shadow knight your weapon or weapon damage should be responsible for approximately 0% - 0.00001% of your aggro generation in groups

if you "like to put out dps" then great but its like a wizard saying "i like to tank"

if you want to do that play another class

herb_gotti
04-02-2015, 01:30 PM
The Noc blade and Atr shield are pretty much the best weapon combo you can get while tanking for an SK. It can be used all the way to 60 without a problem. I am almost 57 and have been using both of those since my early 30's. The stats are great, the weapon dmg/delay ratio is amazing, and the resists on the shield are one of the best.

If you are REALLY wanting to jump to a 2hander, I would suggest only using it when you are not the one tanking or solo/fear kiting. And the Green Jade is pretty decent already.

Thanks bro. Wow. Okay. ya that's kind of what I do, if i'm not tanking i Pull out the 2hander. But recently i've used it to tank and it really doesn't change things because of DC and other hate spells.

herb_gotti
04-02-2015, 01:34 PM
as a shadow knight your weapon or weapon damage should be responsible for approximately 0% - 0.00001% of your aggro generation in groups

if "like to put out dps" is like a wizard saying "i like to tank"

if you want to do that play another class

LOL. I understand trust me. I came from being a warrior on live server. I played a warrior for a lonnnnnnng time so I was always trying to upgrade and change my weapons to find which ones helped to keep agro. For a warrior it's weapons with fast Delays and procs. I think that's my problem. i'm still thinking like a warrior and because of that I want WORN haste as well BUT Shadow Knights really don't need it, right ?>

maskedmelon
04-02-2015, 02:40 PM
LOL. I understand trust me. I came from being a warrior on live server. I played a warrior for a lonnnnnnng time so I was always trying to upgrade and change my weapons to find which ones helped to keep agro. For a warrior it's weapons with fast Delays and procs. I think that's my problem. i'm still thinking like a warrior and because of that I want WORN haste as well BUT Shadow Knights really don't need it, right ?>

Haste is fantastic, but of lower efficacy for knights due to spells. Optimally, you'll cast between swings. For that reason slower (2h) weapons can prove beneficial. There is a patch sometime in velious which increases 2h weapon damage as well, so I wouldn't say it is a fruitless endeavor, you just have to weigh the advantages or the current marginal dps increase + potentially reduced delayed/missed swings due to more successful weaving vs the stat loss ^^

I'd parse the mit loss from dropping the shield as well as the melee damage output. For aggro actual output doesn't matter because you receive aggro for misses as well as hits at a rate equal to two times weapon damage plus primary hand modifier iiirc. Since 2h don't get much more of a modifier than 1h currently (will change in velious), the 1h will generally be more attractive assuming same/similar ratios. The noct ratio is a bit worse than the GJB though iirc.

Ezalor
04-02-2015, 03:12 PM
I'd parse the mit loss from dropping the shield as well as the melee damage output.

you don't need to parse anything. it's pretty simple. unless you have your epic, always use a shield in groups, period. the ac on a shield is handled differently than the ac on any other item in eq. when you equip a shield in the secondary slot you get ALL the ac from it (look up how shield ac works). you also get +50 HP on atra shield iirc plus to make cheals more efficient plus some good mana and resists to help tank casters + bash for small races.

tldr; use a shield

herb_gotti
04-03-2015, 12:38 AM
Haste is fantastic, but of lower efficacy for knights due to spells. Optimally, you'll cast between swings. For that reason slower (2h) weapons can prove beneficial. There is a patch sometime in velious which increases 2h weapon damage as well, so I wouldn't say it is a fruitless endeavor, you just have to weigh the advantages or the current marginal dps increase + potentially reduced delayed/missed swings due to more successful weaving vs the stat loss ^^

I'd parse the mit loss from dropping the shield as well as the melee damage output. For aggro actual output doesn't matter because you receive aggro for misses as well as hits at a rate equal to two times weapon damage plus primary hand modifier iiirc. Since 2h don't get much more of a modifier than 1h currently (will change in velious), the 1h will generally be more attractive assuming same/similar ratios. The noct ratio is a bit worse than the GJB though iirc.

DAMN, DID YOU GO TO EQ COLLEGE!? Heheh. Thanks for the facts though. that's around what i was thinking I just couldn't articulate it well enough.;)

herb_gotti
04-03-2015, 12:39 AM
you don't need to parse anything. it's pretty simple. unless you have your epic, always use a shield in groups, period. the ac on a shield is handled differently than the ac on any other item in eq. when you equip a shield in the secondary slot you get ALL the ac from it (look up how shield ac works). you also get +50 HP on atra shield iirc plus to make cheals more efficient plus some good mana and resists to help tank casters + bash for small races.

tldr; use a shield

Thank you. Great feedback guys.