PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Warp pulling

Xerical
03-24-2015, 06:38 PM
With the return of delay between range attack and damage... warp FD pulling should be able to be performed. This was classic past Planes of Power. I don't recall when or if it got fixed after that. Below you can see someone post about it back from 2001. I believe it only worked on static mobs (like rathe council I remember). It worked most effectively by shooting something at max distance and FD right as the arrow would hit the mob which had a high chance to warp the mob on top of you. Basically giving SK's a stable single-pull method similar to sneak-pulling.

Understandably low on priority of fixes but if its easy to implement... :)

http://youngsdojo.tripod.com/Pulling.html

Daldaen
03-24-2015, 06:48 PM
I love how that guide doesn't mention Sneak in any of its talk about pulling. Shows you just how useful it was.

bullproofmonk
03-24-2015, 07:32 PM
I don't recall rathe council ever warping. What would typically happen, is that after you threw at a static mob, aggrod, then immediately feigned, they would snap back to their original position. This would allow you a few seconds to pull a single without social aggro. I believe the warp effect was a result of doing it inside of the tic window, so their on screen position did not update until the tic.

Of course I had ISDN back then, so I was a LPB.

Grimjaw
03-24-2015, 07:46 PM
by shooting something at max distance and FD right as the arrow would hit the mob which had a high chance to warp the mob on top of you

thats not at all what your link is about.

Warp Splitting.

When a mob has a tough time getting to you, it may warp right on top of you. This will not happen all at the same time, one may get stuck a few seconds before the others. If you FD at the exact moment it warps to you, you will have one mob near you, and the rest far away out of aggro range. You can then chain tag the single or couple safely.

From what I gather, warp pulling simply involves some mechanic where "If the mob cannot reach you easily, it will warp to you", and nothing further. That would require research.

Also, not sure why your mentioning ranged attacks, feign death, or other mechanics? sounds like all you want is some "warp if pathing is difficult" mechanic (which should happen at slightly staggered times for each mob, based on the description of warp splitting)

cant say iv ever heard of this warping mechanic because in classic i knew of a few spots where you could bug NPC into endless pathing loops where they would never just warp onto you. They would try pathing and pathing (and only pathing) until they died.

Xerical
03-24-2015, 08:20 PM
I will try to find some better details. Hard when it goes back this far... I asked my guild and one other guy knew about it so it must have been a well kept secret for pullers. I played an SK and I explicitly remember using this trick to single pull Rathe Council members off the platform consistently. It was all about timing the hit of the ability to the FD, working best at larger distances. But I never had to do anything other than that, just range attack, wait a for it to get close, then FD. Pop, mob is on top of my FD body (sometimes would get 2 warp if they aggro close to each other).

It just made playing an SK a lot more fun because I could actually single pull and tank for a group.

Let me do more digging....

bullproofmonk
03-24-2015, 08:28 PM
I will try to find some better details. Hard when it goes back this far... I asked my guild and one other guy knew about it so it must have been a well kept secret for pullers. I played an SK and I explicitly remember using this trick to single pull Rathe Council members off the platform consistently. It was all about timing the hit of the ability to the FD, working best at larger distances. But I never had to do anything other than that, just range attack, wait a for it to get close, then FD. Pop, mob is on top of my FD body (sometimes would get 2 warp if they aggro close to each other).

It just made playing an SK a lot more fun because I could actually single pull and tank for a group.

Let me do more digging....

It was a very tightly guarded secret, that's for sure. I didn't even learn about it until I joined IVM in PoP.

Xerical
03-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Yeah I am coming up dry on finding posts talk about it outside of what I already linked... I guess because of how good it really was. Similar to Sneak-pull, it was a great pulling mechanism that not many people knew about. I am surprised more don't talk about it here.

wycca
03-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Nobody talked about it on MB really, but it was a thing. Hard to time.

dolphy
03-26-2015, 03:26 PM
It was a very tightly guarded secret, that's for sure. I didn't even learn about it until I joined IVM in PoP.

I was the 'other guy' from Xerical's guild that knew about it. I think was in the same guild as you as a monk. Gonna PM you.

derpcake
03-26-2015, 03:34 PM
I don't recall rathe council ever warping. What would typically happen, is that after you threw at a static mob, aggrod, then immediately feigned, they would snap back to their original position. This would allow you a few seconds to pull a single without social aggro.

This is correct, social agro could only activate every few seconds, this method allowed trivial singles.

Last time I played on live it was still the same with agro. Slamming bard fading memories while running through agro range of many mobs would get you past unharmed. Mobs agro, you drop agro, you run oor of their agro before they re-agro.

Fun mechanic.

I don't think warp pulling rathe worked either. No guild I was in ever used it, and they would have if it was beneficial ;) Never warp pulled except in spots where pathing allowed it in fact.

Grimjaw
03-26-2015, 03:43 PM
possibly two separate mechanics - one involves "warping mobs" and the other involves pulling singles between the "global cooldown of social aggro"

still need proof of either :/ But I think the initial link on pulling has some references to the global cooldown of social agro atleast

derpcake
03-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Global cooldown on social agro works here I think?

If it never got fixed, with EQ titanium code, it should without a doubt.

I can test it during the weekend if r99 is cooperative :p