PDA

View Full Version : Were there cultural differences between servers on live?

sox7d
03-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Just curious if anyone had any observations when switching and whatnot.

Reeses_007
03-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Honestly not really. I just recently quit within the last year. I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Edit: provided you were talking about live servers currently.

sox7d
03-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Honestly not really. I just recently quit within the last year. I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Edit: provided you were talking about live servers currently.

Ehh, meant more back in the good ol' days, but I appreciate the input nonetheless.

kaev
03-07-2015, 06:22 PM
I'd say there were some. Consider the difference between the few servers that had raid target rotations and the majority that did not as one example. But a lot of it probably got blurred over the years of mergers and shrinking population.

Kreylyn
03-07-2015, 06:30 PM
One thing comes to mind... EC Tunnel vs Gfay for the auction gathering.

Krey

heartbrand
03-07-2015, 06:43 PM
Xegony was known as a shit hole of drama

Reeses_007
03-07-2015, 07:33 PM

Krey

That might have varied on server. EC tunnel was auction gathering on live for me too.

BlkCamel
03-07-2015, 07:57 PM

Krey

Tunare was Gfay, many others were EC. Of course Tunare had a EC scene but the GFAY scene was where it was at. 200+ at a time was common.

Tunare also had a Public raiding and lots of alliances. I personally was in Justice League of Norrath as my first guild. We did a-lot of alliances in the Classic/Kunark frame. I used to lead Public Hate raids myself.

When Velious came out PoG raids were ran public on forums for a long time.:D

Tunare also had a large Asian community specifically Hong Kong (HK) and the guild STARS. They were the most notorious for using Zerg tactics in Velious to down Kael mobs, getting some server firsts over Talisman (who had Game Firsts of their own).

maskedmelon
03-07-2015, 08:16 PM

Krey

On Veeshan and I think a couple others it was NFP ^^

Ele
03-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Auction zones during classic: Gfay, ECT, NFP.
Group loot rules: NBG, random, alpha plat items, cleric get and splits at end of night.
Randoming variations: 1 -1000, 0-1000, 0-100, 1-100.
Raid etiquette: rotations, FFA, fcfs, train wars, first in zone, actually clearing to cazic and Inny before engaging.

Camp names and boundaries.

BlkCamel
03-07-2015, 11:02 PM
Auction zones during classic: Gfay, ECT, NFP.
Group loot rules: NBG, random, alpha plat items, cleric get and splits at end of night.
Raid etiquette: rotations, FFA, fcfs, train wars, first in zone, actually clearing to cazic and Inny before engaging.

Camp names and boundaries.

A-lot of this, Tunare was also First in force for raid etiquette. I also remember alot of 0 - 1000 randoms.:D

Replikant
03-07-2015, 11:24 PM
NFP seems like a weird spot to do trading, considering some people are KOS.

E'ci was EC. Another server I played on (Cazic?) was GFay. I think overall EC is the best spot for it.

Silverain
03-07-2015, 11:29 PM
Tunare was Gfay, many others were EC. Of course Tunare had a EC scene but the GFAY scene was where it was at. 200+ at a time was common.

Tunare also had a Public raiding and lots of alliances. I personally was in Justice League of Norrath as my first guild. We did a-lot of alliances in the Classic/Kunark frame. I used to lead Public Hate raids myself.

When Velious came out PoG raids were ran public on forums for a long time.:D

Tunare also had a large Asian community specifically Hong Kong (HK) and the guild STARS. They were the most notorious for using Zerg tactics in Velious to down Kael mobs, getting some server firsts over Talisman (who had Game Firsts of their own).

I played on Tunare as well, and was also in JLN from rather early on til I quit in 2005. Not seen many JLN people on server. I played Elari, same char I play here.

iruinedyourday
03-07-2015, 11:40 PM
Rallos Zek had a pretty tight night group in Peace of Formosa that were from somewhere that didnt speak english very well.. they also brutally kicked the shit out of people for a good while too pre velious.

SCB
03-08-2015, 12:11 AM
Luclin had maybe 1% of the server drama that occurs here. People were much friendlier overall.

BlkCamel
03-08-2015, 12:33 AM
I played on Tunare as well, and was also in JLN from rather early on til I quit in 2005. Not seen many JLN people on server. I played Elari, same char I play here.

I have seen you post on here and recognized you from JLN, as you have mentioned this on forums before. Ganelron (sp?) is the one who recruited me and that I looked up to. I remember you and others from Tunare, I wish I could find players such as, Knek, Abani, Gweni (SP?, dwarf female so long ago!), Celeste and her husband, Richard and Michail. There are plenty others but these are the names that come to mind first.:D

P.S. Played Barbarian Shaman Tumamor, and Iksar Monk Chakrasusis.

Ele
03-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Thought of another one: Karnors train left or train right!

Prexus was train left, wait right. Took a few days to get used to here when kunark came out.

Doil_Boil
03-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Prexus was on a server-wide rotation for quite a while.

I consider that an important (and preferrable) cultural difference.

Arteker
03-08-2015, 10:42 AM
solusek ro- gfy for Market, massive euro population . for most kunark , velious 2 big raid guilds. random was actualy 0 1000.

AB: pure madness- several high end raids and even a small ammount of american canadian population playing due to time zone.

SH: GM enforced rotation , Enough drama to build a bridge usa europa, very friendly to quiet leveling people , high population of zeker players looking to buy gear , or level before heading back to zek servers.

Druzzil ro: mixed feelings but in general a shit place due to awfull population racism and xenophobia.

Lifebar
03-08-2015, 12:03 PM
NFP seems like a weird spot to do trading, considering some people are KOS.

I remember everyone being packed into the courtyard with the bank in it. If I wasn't looking at the ground in first-person when I came around the corner I had a good chance of lagging out or crashing entirely! You had to meet KoS people at the sewer entrances.

Karien
03-09-2015, 03:14 AM
Saryrn used NFP too, "selling a bag of stuff at the bank, open trade window to inspect!" :)

Clark
03-09-2015, 06:53 AM

:)

AstyTZ
03-09-2015, 09:49 AM
On Tallon Zek, by the time I started playing (Kunark), the major markets were OT for evil races and Gfay for good races, and it was sometimes hard to get a hold of items that predominantly dropped in "good" territories if you were buying in OT, and likewise for "evil" territory drops in Gfay. There were some dungeons that were primarily occupied by evil races and some by good races, and then some that were always contested (Guk comes to mind).

When I started playing on the server, cross-teaming was very frowned upon, at least between good ("lighties") and evil ("darkies") - it was trolls, ogres, DEs, and iksars vs everyone else for the most part. It wasn't until Pandemonium was formed from a merger of lighties and darkies that the walls started to come down, then it became guild vs. guild basically.

One thing I noticed on Tallon Zek is that we called Golden Efreeti Boots "eboots" pretty much exclusively from what I remember. I had no idea what GEBS were when I first started playing on P99.

Haynar
03-09-2015, 10:26 AM
Often referred to as being very Ghetto. It was different.

H

RiffDaemon
03-09-2015, 11:35 AM

Tholuxe Paells was NFP, at least back in 2000 when I started. Always weirds me out a bit to see the bank area empty.

Velerin
03-09-2015, 12:36 PM
I tried all 3 pvp servers (well 4 counting Sullon but training does not = pvp to me and I quit that one quickly) and I stuck with Vallon due to the overall attitude of the server. VZ first developed loot n scoot (player driven not gm driven), people seemed to have more honor in pvp, the overall shit talking was so much lower. it wasn't until people exploited cross teaming that finally ruined it.
Rallos was just a blue server where you could get ganked and lose your gear by "pks". Tallon seemed to have more of a "SZ before there was an SZ" attitude. I believe they started crossteaming much earlier than VZ and Pandemonium ruled with an iron fist by any means necessary.
On VZ I started as a lightie but switched to the darkies because being the underdog was fun and attacking anyone not on your team was much more fun than these strange RZ like lightie alliances where you could still get ganked by people you thought were on your team (why I like hard coded teams so much better than FFA pvp)

falkun
03-09-2015, 12:49 PM
From my memories of Kunark-GoD on Mith Marr:
Auction was NFP until Bazaar went live.
Lots of PUGs used 200-300 for /ran.
Afterlife and Forsaken Realm (distant #2) ran the raid scene, but I was never close enough to even contend.

Ezalor
03-09-2015, 12:59 PM

veeshan play here. nfp is the best trade zone

i miss that beautiful NFP bank music and 100s evils hanging out in the tunnel and training bard guild on them

Pint
03-09-2015, 03:38 PM
Also veeshan, the best deals were always out back "behind jades" obvioulsy

Ezalor
03-09-2015, 03:49 PM
also getting your ogre non-kos and blocking the tiny bank entrance

Besmear
03-09-2015, 04:30 PM

Being in Inner Circle, we were usually in the center of any drama, but it really wasn't all that bad (from my point of view). The worst of it i think, was when we woke the sleeper. I don't recall the specific trigger as to why we did it, but we were pissed about something another guild had/was doing. Other than that, it was just usual top-end guild issues.

fastboy21
03-09-2015, 05:56 PM
there were big cultural differences between servers. imo, the biggest rifts were the large original servers, the split servers (new servers that allowed transfers from old servers for a limited time), and the new servers that came a couple years in.

the biggest engine that drove the culture of the server was the raiding game, and the character of the big raid guilds. some servers were extremely contentious (like p99 is atm) and others were more laid back with player organized rotations.

a good example of this is to look at how long the sleeper took to wake on some servers. on xev, the rotation was held to without a single guild breaking it, well into pop. when they did wake the sleeper it was a smaller rogue guild that wanted the notoriety; not one of the big raiding guilds...and the server absolutely hated them for it, publicly.

Boognishe
03-10-2015, 08:38 AM

Mith Marr did /random 200 300.

Mirana
03-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Mith Marr did /random 200 300.

Any reason for this? From a statistical perspective, it makes no sense.

kaev
03-10-2015, 02:07 PM
Any reason for this? From a statistical perspective, it makes no sense.

IIRC (memory gets hazy in 15 years) there was a brief issue with people faking /ran on live using copypasta macros. A lot of people started varying the /ran range in response, and even after Verant fixed the /ran emote to be non-fakeable lots of players preferred non-default ranges. On Tunare it was the groupleader's responsibility to specify the /ran range and a lot of them continued to vary every roll long after. Not that it matterred very much, most people who played to cheat didn't group much anyway, preferring to use ShowEQ to snipe loot droppers (I never saw a Forest Loop or Sarnak Earring of Station or Bracer of the Hidden drop in all my time on live) thereby avoiding any risk of having to share their precious pixels.

Nubben
03-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Yes, on Mith Marr this was definitely a custom that originated as a theory that it could prevent people from "cheating" with their rolls. This custom lasted long after the ability to "cheat" was fixed and/or debunked.