PDA

View Full Version : How gear dependent is the Paladin compared to other tanks?

Lorian
03-06-2015, 07:15 AM
Hiya, new player here!

I started a shammy and got him to 19, then a couple of days ago i decided to have a tank as well, as sitting on my bum waiting for mana can be boring. First made a warrior to and leveled him to 6 in a couple of hours, someone gave me a Sword of Skyfire!

But after reading (and also remembering myself from waaay back in live) all about how warriors need uber expensive gear to keep aggro I deleted him and created a pally instead. I always wanted to be Prince Charming anyway. :) I am now level 8, soon to get spells, have banded legs and mail, was gifted a werewolf cloak and bone armplates (love P99 older players!) for some extra nice STR.

Will this be enough for a while, considering i can buff my ac and heal? I was hoping I can play this class and have tank-fun without later getting ditched from groups for not having 1000's of plats worth of esoteric gear?

Sage Truthbearer
03-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Both of the Knight classes (Paladin, Shadow Knight) are significantly less gear-dependent than Warriors. That is because, unlike Warriors, we do not depend on item proccing weapons to generate aggro. A Paladin already has one of the most effective aggro management spells in the game, Flash of Light, which is attained at level 9 for only about 3 silver.

I wouldn't worry about items. Banded and a Sword of Skyfire are far better items than many of us had while leveling up, and more than sufficient for a new player. Just get your 5AC +55 HP rings as soon as possible. Those are 100% essential.

maskedmelon
03-06-2015, 06:11 PM
As Sage said, Paladins are far less gear dependent than warriors because of our spells. As a Paladin you can leave auto attack off and maintain aggro on multiple targets while spot healing group mates. Just make sure that when you cast flash of light someone is within melee range of the mob or it will run off like it is feared and remain buggy for duration of the rebuff even if you get within range.

For solo, you'll want to pick up some str items in your 40's because dps really starts to hurt with the skill caps. Otherwise you will have no problems meeting ac/hp needs as you level. Good luck!

Lorian
03-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the advice! This sounds promising indeed!!

DrKvothe
03-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Somewhat disagree with the expense. Initially it's the same gear list: 5/55 rings, banded and/or the cheaper pieces of kunark class plate set, and a 200pp weapon.

That will last you quite a while. A paladin doesn't really need anything else to improve its tanking, just quality of life gear (clicky daring helm) and a better dps weapon if you want to feel slightly less gimped.

A warrior starts off as a pretty shitty tank in the same gear, but, and this is important, nobody expects you to be any better than that. If they're dumb enough to bring you instead of a knight, they'll appreciate you for not bringing a hybrid exp penalty. So is it that expensive to get to respectable hate output as a warrior? You'll want some worn haste, but that'll only increase your white damage threat not your proc threat. Your proc threat can actually come really cheap, at least if this is accurate: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwLk00fzuQQMdzhmdUFEendhdWs/edit

2x scorpikis claw impaler (or skean offhand) and some basic dex gear isn't very expensive by the time you're expected to do decent threat. And by the time expectations begin to rise, you should have access to planar gear.

Safon
03-10-2015, 06:52 PM
What are the names of your characters Lorian?

Celatus
03-11-2015, 02:49 AM
Pally gear is cheaper but you require just as much of it as warriors do - the different weapon procs. You dont want to be a high aggro paper tank.

Lorian
03-11-2015, 06:10 AM
What are the names of your characters Lorian?

Lorian lv 11 Human Paladin
Hravn lv21 Barbarian Shaman

I am focusing on playing Hravn until I can afford a set of plate and 5/55 rings for Lorian. As the above post said, I dont want to be a paper tank! :)

kaev
03-11-2015, 11:49 AM
A level 11 in banded is not a paper tank, lol, he's a level 11. Not that rings and plate hurt, they're very nice actually, but good lord it is not necessary to be twinked to the high heavens to play this game. I do realize that this server is full of morons who can't play worth a damn and therefore must at all times utterly overpower the content, but that doesn't mean you have to become one of them.

Nirgon
03-11-2015, 01:02 PM
more like how expensive is the paladin to gear vs other tanks

for groups?

much cheaper and more bang 4 buck esp at early lvls

for raids?

completely doable in Kunark minus like Overseer of Air

for most Velious "good" targets?

naw

Tuljin
03-12-2015, 10:01 PM
A level 11 in banded is not a paper tank, lol, he's a level 11. Not that rings and plate hurt, they're very nice actually, but good lord it is not necessary to be twinked to the high heavens to play this game. I do realize that this server is full of morons who can't play worth a damn and therefore must at all times utterly overpower the content, but that doesn't mean you have to become one of them.

Amen brother lol

Lorian
03-14-2015, 06:18 PM
Its not about twinkage! I got him a pair of 3ac/10hp rings, it seems to have made him durable enough to solo most white cons. I know the actual difference in banded and fine plate is not that big, but it is a massive difference in appearance! Ringmail suits the role of a rogue, bard or ranger just fine, but a knight looks the part only when wearing plate in my opinion! :)

Pint
03-16-2015, 03:50 AM
Paladins are not gear dependent in the least. Having nice gear is just a luxury, this game did not magically get harder over the last 5 years, plenty of us made it all the way starting with newbie quest cloth shirts and random items we scored along the way.

Lorian
03-16-2015, 09:13 AM
I did the Bloodforge Hammer quest in Kelethin, but there are not really many quests like that (plus the hammer sucks). Besides, on this server you can EASILY afford a full set of banded at lv 6-7 plus a good weapon if you spend a few hours in CB collecting belts.

Back on live i was still wearing leather in my mid teens until I joined a guild and was donated some leftovers. Because of ignorance, bad weapons and leather armour it took me close to two weeks to get to lv 10 back in the live days, here its a matter of two days of playing moderate hours.

Erydan Ouragan
03-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Paladins are not gear dependent in the least. Having nice gear is just a luxury, this game did not magically get harder over the last 5 years, plenty of us made it all the way starting with newbie quest cloth shirts and random items we scored along the way.

Haven't you heard? This game is not worth playing if you don't have a fungi, RBB and epic MQ. :rolleyes:

JickFromTholuxe
03-17-2015, 03:40 AM
Hey Lorian, this is Nicomachus the human pally you met in Qeynos recently. :)

Send me a tell in-game on Nicomachus or Jick. I have some stuff on my EC mule I can give ya under the condition you stop worrying about your gear so much and enjoy the Paladin class. :)

Lorian
03-17-2015, 04:44 AM
Send me a tell in-game on Nicomachus or Jick. I have some stuff on my EC mule I can give ya under the condition you stop worrying about your gear so much and enjoy the Paladin class. :)
Awesome, very appreciated! Might need to gain a level or two first to prove myself worthy and also to make sure I survive the trek from Qeynos to EC. :)