PDA

View Full Version : Would boxing drive you away?

Orruar
03-05-2015, 10:31 AM
So genuinely curious here. Assuming the population ended up being the same (no overcrowding for camps, etc.), would you still play here if boxing was allowed? Note: There's no way they're ever going to allow boxing here, so don't worry about that.

Ravager
03-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Why not? Maybe we can get JBoots up to 50k per mq.

Daldaen
03-05-2015, 10:44 AM
So genuinely curious here. Assuming the population ended up being the same (no overcrowding for camps, etc.), would you still play here if boxing was allowed? Note: There's no way they're ever going to allow boxing here, so don't worry about that.

If there were a server that allowed boxing to some extent (not allowing 24 boxed MQ2 teams... But humans playing 2-3-4), and a server like P99 that didn't allow. And we were offered a transfer.

I'd be on the boxing server in a heartbeat.

The speed at which you play a single character in EQ Classic is rather slow. Hitting CH every 12 seconds is pretty dull.

However being able to be in a CH chain on clericbox , debuff/handle a charmed pet on chanterbox, toss spot heals and nukes on druidbox and sing regen or mez song on bard box, allows me to play at a quicker speed and accomplish more without having to bother other people.

That being said... No other server comes close to this one in regards to classicness. If we could get a few more fixes like single hotbars, no cycle targeting, single Chatboxes etc. That would increase immersion to new heights. It would be tough to top.

Brocode
03-05-2015, 10:47 AM
there would be no people lfg, greed one boxing big camps, pling themselves new alts... so many visions! no thanks.

Daldaen
03-05-2015, 10:49 AM
there would be no people lfg, greed one boxing big camps, pling themselves new alts... so many visions! no thanks.

People already do all of these things...

Tranix, Hierophant, Fungi King, Ragefire... All locked down by 1 or 2 people.

myriverse
03-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Primary reason I'm here is the boxing rule, not classic nostalgia.

Foggon
I think the biggest issue would be people camping AC, pained soul, fungi camp in the background. Pretty sure there would be a 75 man line for AC camp

Ravager
An interesting idea I had for a boxing server would be to assign a daily time limit to an account and then any accounts that log on from the same ip as that account shares that time. For instance, the time limit could be 16 hours. If you box, both accounts time limit becomes 8 hours that day, three box and it's 5 hours 20 minutes for the three of them and so on.

I wouldn't want something like that here, but it could be interesting as a different server to play.

Foggon
03-05-2015, 10:58 AM
And not just those camps ^^ any camp that could be camped with fairly minimal effort would be forever gone since you don't have to dedicate any time. Raid in VP and pull king camp in the background.

Brocode
03-05-2015, 11:00 AM

Yeah they do, but if theres a rule theres a chance to ban if someone boxes. And hey on live i was all in for boxing myself, but here feels like it kills the classic.

Foggon
03-05-2015, 11:01 AM
An interesting idea I had for a boxing server would be to assign a daily time limit.

I saw a complaint once like "ah I got banned for doing a transfer! I didn't affect gameplay at all GRR".. But the thing is with all these people you can't leave any gray area or it will be exploited. It's yay or nay.

Manticmuse
03-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Voted no thanks, I'd play somewhere else, but it's not true because this is the only version of EQ that interests me. So really, boxing would ruin the last bastion of playable EQ, at least for me. Not to hold the OP responsible for the millions of like minded threads/polls in the past, but can we move past the boxing issue? There are other servers out there that do allow boxing, and the powers that be on P99 - as well as the majority of the player community - have spoken out against boxing every single time.

mr_jon3s
03-05-2015, 11:04 AM
It would destroy grouping just like it did on live. Boxing starts out innocently. I will only box when I can't find a group. You start boxing a tank and healer. You start a group and after a while of grinding a tank or healer comes into the zone lfg but you don't want to drop a box because you feel you play better then a random tank or healer. After that it just

Daldaen
03-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Yeah they do, but if theres a rule theres a chance to ban if someone boxes. And hey on live i was all in for boxing myself, but here feels like it kills the classic.

Meh. On a server with this population it wouldn't be great. On a new server with the same code set though, it would be great.

Even if they just allowed 2 boxing in North Freeporr so you could transfer yourself or have a mule, that would be fantastic. Would make a lot of things less tedious.

Having a porter or rezzer able to be boxed for just 1 minute to save you 30 minutes trying to find someone else to waste their time assisting you, would also be grand.

Ravager
03-05-2015, 11:16 AM
I saw a complaint once like "ah I got banned for doing a transfer! I didn't affect gameplay at all GRR".. But the thing is with all these people you can't leave any gray area or it will be exploited. It's yay or nay.

Well my idea would be programmed into the server itself. Once the time ran out, you wouldn't be able to login on those accounts until your time bank was refreshed. Also, like I said it was just an idea for a server, nothing i'd want implemented here.

After reading your response, it's clear you didn't read the entirety of the idea before dismissing it anyway.

Foggon
03-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Well my idea would be programmed into the server itself. Once the time ran out, you wouldn't be able to login on those accounts until your time bank was refreshed. Also, like I said it was just an idea for a server, nothing i'd want implemented here.

After reading your response, it's clear you didn't read the entirety of the idea before dismissing it anyway.

Sure I did.. What I am saying is.. If you allow legal two-boxing here, how much harder will it be to catch the illegal two-boxing over here.

Ravager
03-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Sure I did.. What I am saying is.. If you allow legal two-boxing here, how much harder will it be to catch the illegal two-boxing over here.

Good point, but it's still an interesting server idea.

Laugher
03-05-2015, 11:50 AM
Primary reason I'm here is the boxing rule, not classic nostalgia.

khanable
03-05-2015, 12:08 PM
If boxing was allowed here I would pack up and leave and make a nasty passive aggressive post informing the staff how I feel

Boxing sucks

indiscriminate_hater
03-05-2015, 12:24 PM
"bush 2-boxed the towers" - i think i'm rustled

Ele
03-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Just the boxing experience on beta raiding sucks. Having a bunch of half afk clerics and buff bots sucks.

I will say being able to make my own group to test other content has been very helpful though. Makes farming quest items and testing groupable content much easier.

tristantio
03-05-2015, 01:32 PM
I love the no-boxing - I'd actually love a server like Firiona Vie (original mode) where there are no alts either (one character per account per real life person).

A FV ruleset (all items tradeable) under p99's no boxing rule would be sweet.

Daldaen
03-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Just the boxing experience on beta raiding sucks. Having a bunch of half afk clerics and buff bots sucks.

I will say being able to make my own group to test other content has been very helpful though. Makes farming quest items and testing groupable content much easier.
Agreed. I was farming armor gems with a two box duo at quadruple the speed I was able to solo the mobs. Then I realized they had internally tested all the quests by summoning the items and got sad.

azeth
03-05-2015, 02:45 PM
If boxing were allowed you'd be looking at every single cash camp and most xp camps in game locked down by 1 person.

not that they're not already locked down, but at least by multiple people.

Daldaen
03-05-2015, 02:51 PM
If boxing were allowed you'd be looking at every single cash camp and most xp camps in game locked down by 1 person.

not that they're not already locked down, but at least by multiple people.

But if you had a box limit of like 2 or 3, this wouldn't be the case for the best camps especially in Velious when stuff is less soloable.

pink grapefruit
03-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Boxing, account sharing, RMT, etc. These things all take away from the magic that is the social experience of EQ. And those social experiences are really what separate classic EQ from modern MMOs.

Swish
03-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Yes
No
Towers

...imo. Don't slant a poll with 2 types of "yes" :p

Lisset
03-05-2015, 02:58 PM
The ONLY way I would accept boxing is in EC and a 10 minute per 2 hour limit, to allow safer trading. But if I were a dev I would refuse to code that because it's easier to tell people to join a good guild instead.

Erati
03-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Yes
No
Towers

voted Bush/Towers bc it was very obv 2-boxing

captnamazing
03-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Fuck boxing.

But also bush really DID 2-box the towers

Orruar
03-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Yes
No
Towers

How is that slanting a poll?

... And btw, I did put 2 options for "no". Bush/towers option is giving the strongest showing it has in a long time.

Orruar
03-05-2015, 04:25 PM
How many alcoholic beverages do you have per week:
1-2
3-5
6-10
11+

Is that slanting the poll towards people who drink, in your mind?

azeth
03-05-2015, 04:28 PM
How many alcoholic beverages do you have per week:
1-2
3-5
6-10
11+

Is that slanting the poll towards people who drink, in your mind?

11+ not even close

20+

Skydash
03-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Boxing is stupid. Go play a single player game if you want to box.
This game is about playing with other people.

Orruar
03-05-2015, 04:51 PM
Boxing is stupid. Go play a single player game if you want to box.
This game is about playing with other people.

So apparently boxing precludes one from playing with other people?

http://www.project1999.com/forums/image.php?u=111912&dateline=1402689280

Ele
03-05-2015, 04:58 PM

http://www.project1999.com/forums/image.php?u=111912&dateline=1402689280

Playing with myself can be fun, but playing with others is more fun.

Ele
03-05-2015, 05:01 PM
what have I done

http://i.imgur.com/iMBciwB.jpg

Skydash
03-05-2015, 05:17 PM

Why, why why why why why why why why...

Yes, boxing "precludes" you from playing with others... because you are a greedy asshat.
The only challenge left would be soloing raids with your leet 25+ boxing skills.

Leave boxing where it belongs, in the ring.

Daldaen
03-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Boxing 2 doesn't preclude other people from experiencing content.

Boxing 6 does.

Orruar
03-05-2015, 05:48 PM
Boxing 2 doesn't preclude other people from experiencing content.

Boxing 6 does.

Which might be why most people who have responded and are ok with boxing are ok only if it's 2-3 per person.

sox7d
03-05-2015, 06:04 PM
If I had things my way, no boxing + you wouldn't get experience from mobs unless you were grouped.

(Unless you're a wizard, throw them a bone)

Safon
03-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Signed in just to vote no, fuck boxing in all it's forms

sox7d
03-05-2015, 07:08 PM
If you want to play an MMO alone, play ANY OTHER ONE MADE IN THE LAST 12 YEARS.

Voland
03-05-2015, 07:18 PM
I remember starting a perma-group with 2 other players on Live. We had great fun grouping up to lvl 20 or so, the chat was as fun as fighting.
However, after that they started boxing and refused to invite more people into our group.

As a result, they both were too busy to chat, I got bored and left the perma-group.
So, I vote "No boxing"!

kaev
03-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Fuck boxing and the horse it rode in on, flaming halberd right up the poopchute.

Giustin
03-06-2015, 01:32 AM

This

Nikkanu
03-06-2015, 08:37 AM

I agree, if boxing where allowed in any form all of the high end camps would be forever locked down 24/7. It's bad enough that some asshole shaman has Tranix locked down for weeks at a time.... Imagine if he was allowed to also claim other camps on other alts at the same time! ;)

Rararboker
03-06-2015, 01:08 PM
Most of the people arguing in favor of boxing were already planning on doing that, Nikkanu. Which is what makes their post so funny. Like we don't know the real reason.

Daldaen
03-06-2015, 01:24 PM
Most of the people arguing in favor of boxing were already planning on doing that, Nikkanu. Which is what makes their post so funny. Like we don't know the real reason.

Nah I wouldn't do that. I would just get to stop wasting others people's time asking for ports, rezzes or transfers. Because I would be able to do that myself.

I don't have the patience to sock any of those mobs :/. Too boring.

azeth
03-06-2015, 01:38 PM
Nah I wouldn't do that. I would just get to stop wasting others people's time asking for ports, rezzes or transfers. Because I would be able to do that myself.

It is boring but throw on netflix, load your 2-3 toons up and boom you're doing Emp Chottal every 27 mins maybe getting torpor.

Between kills? Hell load up your 4th box and do something constructive. Or load up your banker and do EC

Sinder
03-06-2015, 01:42 PM
no boxing. yes people would be perma camping things on the server. I'd be exping on my alts while my main farmed a long camp. it would happen whether you would do it or not. I'm willing to admit if it were allowed I'd be doing it. This happened all the time on live. and when i needed a rez or port id bring up a 3rd/4th box. computers being so much better than in 1999-2001 boxing isnt nearly as system demanding and given that wineq2 and eqplaynice is allowed as software to run the game its even less demanding.

HallyVee
03-06-2015, 09:51 PM

Happy to, sir! Point me to one with combat of similar duration to EQ!

mudd
03-07-2015, 02:45 AM
No boxing! I have been jonzing playing EQ or something close to it, vanguard was close but no one played it, for sooooo long... all I need is to see one person dragging 6 toons past my group to snag every named in BoT

Rararboker
03-07-2015, 01:53 PM

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

Happy to, sir! Point me to one with combat of similar duration to EQ!

Your face.

Clark
03-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Boxing is lame.

Salahdin
03-09-2015, 08:18 AM
i would be happy with 2boxing allowed.

as in 2 boxes ONLY

Sadre Spinegnawer
03-09-2015, 08:22 AM
The speed at which you play a single character in EQ Classic is rather slow. Hitting CH every 12 seconds is pretty dull.

However being able to be in a CH chain on clericbox , debuff/handle a charmed pet on chanterbox, toss spot heals and nukes on druidbox and sing regen or mez song on bard box, allows me to play at a quicker speed and accomplish more without having to bother other people.

Ritalin is a hell of a drug

Daldaen
03-09-2015, 08:24 AM
Ritalin is a hell of a drug

So you find it thrilling to be in a CH chain for 10min+?

Dunno I prefer to actively be doing multiple things, keeps me busy and entertained. Higher room for error also higher possibility of awesomeness.

Nefhrive
03-09-2015, 11:26 AM
If bored while playing EQ with one toon try loading Tropico on your second screen or Civ 5 or netflix. Engage yourself in a fun conversation with your groupmates. No boxing on this server is why I still play here, boxing takes out one of the biggest aspects of this game which is meeting people and teaming up with them to achieve something epic and to share that experience.

There are other EQ servers out there that will allow you to multibox like the one that just started that is locked to PoP. Most of the time there are easily 1000+ people on P99 blue, now imagine if only 1/4th of the population boxed 3 characters at a time, thats an additional 500 characters on the server. Lets keep it the way it is, because as soon as velious comes out you're going to see a lot of returning players and a huge influx of players, now imagine if they allowed boxing? No thanks.

Darkatar
03-09-2015, 02:54 PM
The reason I chose P99 was -because- of the no boxing ruleset. Classic was a bonus.

ronasch
03-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Boxers can DNF, and then suck there souls into an "ecto vac"

Daldaen
03-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Yea I'm never gonna get you people.

Boxing just allows you to do more than you could previously or more conveniently.

People who don't want to interact with others won't, regardless of whether they are allowed to box or not. Know all those Anon/Roleplay soloers who hide their class so you can never invite them to groups or ask for help? They have no interest interacting with you even though they can't box.

iruinedyourday
03-09-2015, 03:47 PM

yea but the same person socking BOTH those camps would also be socking 4 other ones..

hell no to boxing.

Daldaen
03-09-2015, 03:53 PM
yea but the same person socking BOTH those camps would also be socking 4 other ones..

hell no to boxing.

Mass boxing is dumb. Often facilitated by automating programs and total greedy douches.

2-3 boxing however, isn't the end of the world. As I said before, mostly just to port, rez or transfer for yourself so you aren't wasting other people's time doing those things.

GreldorEQ
03-09-2015, 03:58 PM
2-3 boxing with a pop of 1200/night essentially is mass boxing. It gets out of hand quickly. Needing 50 for a raid quickly turns into 25. Then you have 2x the guilds complaining about raid targets and how unfair life is on p99.

iruinedyourday
03-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Mass boxing is dumb. Often facilitated by automating programs and total greedy douches.

2-3 boxing however, isn't the end of the world. As I said before, mostly just to port, rez or transfer for yourself so you aren't wasting other people's time doing those things.

no way, take Clark for example. The next 'summer of clark, he'd have tranix, ragefire , jboots, verina tomb, for 3 months 24hrs a day.

no way to boxing, there are people here with the skill set and the mind to just lock entire droves of casuals from doing anything.

the forced single box promotes a flourishing playerbase. When I came to p99 every person was a person, not a box, every person had thier own goals, not the goals of the master box.. it is this sweet dynamic that is, classic.

I mean seriously Dald, these hard core people cant even fricking raid together, you think you allow the hard core sockers the opportunity to double, triple or quadruple their profit in EC and they wont totally ruin the server for all the casuals that make this server feel classic?

it'd be a joke on p99 if we allowed boxing, the server culture would change from whats classic, to "pfft buzz off casual this is a private club of 40 players"

again, hell no to boxing.

"this crypt duo is fun, I'm also socking tranix right now and Efreeti there are a bunch of groups trying to find xp fun lol fuck them right?"

86753o9
03-09-2015, 04:12 PM
What do we do if we suspect a player of boxing?

cryptologix
03-09-2015, 04:31 PM

Tell them to stop because their actions have not been sanctioned by the International Boxing Organization (IBO) and, therefore, may face penalties.

GradnerLives
03-09-2015, 04:32 PM

SS and post to RnF

sox7d
03-09-2015, 04:49 PM

Blackmail

Swish
03-09-2015, 06:50 PM

Report them.

I'll always remember one guy in EC when selling accounts for plat was "legal", advertised that his 2 accounts had an IP exemption. Posted a screenshot on the forum and he was mad as hell.

"People like you are what stop people playing"...

ok buddy...

Whirled
03-10-2015, 08:37 AM
We boxed back on live when we had to have 2+ different phone lines installed to do such with that uber 56k modem. I still remember all that squealing & wacky noise them things would make, hehe...
Boxing is boring imo. It's much more fun to med break/chat with someone from another country or where ever as compared to Jobtik or Xoner just looking at you; but to each their own./shrug

rotenvok
03-10-2015, 09:07 AM
Voted NO.

Boxing promotes autists, selfish and lonely players who only care about their own toons.

Boxing destroys the social enviroment.

Boxing in a multiplayer game = oxymoron.