PDA

View Full Version : Half elf paladins of Tunare

pink grapefruit
03-03-2015, 03:25 PM
How did they end up in Felwithe? Are they maybe half high elf instead of wood elf? Did they grow up there in Fel, or did they move there from Kelethin once it became clear they were destined to be Holy Flower Knights?

They seem very unique in this regard. This one specific race/class/deity combination starts out in an otherwise high elf exclusive area. And it doesn't get much more exclusive than high elven society. There's gotta be some story there.

captnamazing
03-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Perhaps they go their for superior elf-paladin tactics and training? I can see it like, they are born in kelethin, and have to go there cause it's the closest.

falkun
03-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Yeah but I wouldn't think high elves would accept "mixed breeds" lore-wise. The only thing I could think would sway high elves more than "racial purity" would be a religious edict...maybe Tunare gave the order in a vision or some such.

Swish
03-03-2015, 03:49 PM
old man Nybright was a busy man... you can trace the rest of the storyline.

captnamazing
03-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Perhaps, the High Elf Paladins feared the half elves would become corrupted, so they gathered them all in Felwithe to watch their training and performance, big brother style. If the half-elves rose against the machine, or became malevolent, it would be easy to purge their corrupt blood from Norrath.

maskedmelon
03-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Most are the orphaned bastards of sea-faring adventurers and love struck Elven maids. Often abandoned at birth by their heartbroken mums, overcome in a squall of shame and the blinding spontaneity of youth, many do not survive. There are those however unto whom Tunare shines her resplendent smile and by Her grace are lifted from the impending maw of finality to be delivered unto the loving embrace of Her disciples. Fostered unto the most capable of Her adherents, they are raised in Her loving light. In Her light they grow and in their hearts her light glows.

Portasaurus
03-03-2015, 04:08 PM
All I know is... there is no Half Elf Meat here, and that both mystifies and upsets me.

WTB Half Elf Meat

:confused::mad:

pink grapefruit
03-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Most are the orphaned bastards of sea-faring adventurers and love struck Elven maids. Often abandoned at birth by their heartbroken mums, overcome in a squall of shame and the blinding spontaneity of youth, many do not survive. There are those however unto whom Tunare shines her resplendent smile and by Her grace are lifted from the impending maw of finality to be delivered unto the loving embrace of Her disciples. Fostered unto the most capable of Her adherents, they are raised in Her loving light. In Her light they grow and in their hearts her light glows.

So some half elves are raised in Felwithe, and they all become paladins? Kinda makes it sound like holy knight is a lowly rank lol. It's very strange that half elves are there when you think about it. They can't play any int class (except bard) or cleric, and the paladins have very low wisdom. Why would high elves put up with that nonsense?

kaev
03-03-2015, 04:09 PM
They are traitors to Mithaniel Marr and Erollisi Marr, the twin bastions of honor and truth and righteousness. Having turned their backs on the glorius struggle to free Freeport from the vile influence of Innoruuk's bootlicking pansy, Lucan D'Lere, they have fled to shameful exile on Faydwer with their cowardly elfin cousins.

You might as well ask why the largest continent of of Norrath is no longer called Tunaria, and is now Antonica. The elfin "godess" is fallen and cowers with her puny minions, hiding behind the foul-smelling skirts of the filthy dwarves of Kaladim, the tunareans have lost any hint of greatness they might once have aspired to. Even the once-gentle Halfings carry on the fight against Innoruuk's vile minions, meanwhile the elfs cower and quake in their hovels.

Doil_Boil
03-03-2015, 04:14 PM
All I know is... there is no Half Elf Meat here, and that both mystifies and upsets me.

WTB Half Elf Meat

:confused::mad:

This man is asking the important questions.

ANSWER US OBAMA

Mentathiel
03-03-2015, 04:16 PM
old man Nybright was a busy man... you can trace the rest of the storyline.
Perhaps this is a cautionary tale to other half-elves of Koada'Dal birth; join the temple as paladins or face their fate...

Portasaurus
03-03-2015, 04:19 PM
The more I think about this, the more it make sense that Half Elves are just wearing masks or otherwise under some kind of Illusion spell, because on the inside -- where the meat is -- they're High Elves or Wood Elves.

Half Elves: magic, luck, or cactus in disguise?

Doil_Boil
03-03-2015, 04:21 PM
The more I think about this, the more it make sense that Half Elves are just wearing masks or otherwise under some kind of Illusion spell, because on the inside -- where the meat is -- they're High Elves or Wood Elves.

Half Elves: magic, luck, or cactus in disguise?

Or perhaps it is The Picard.

GreldorEQ
03-03-2015, 06:05 PM
cactus in disguise?

This^

EDIT: Source - http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182036

JickFromTholuxe
03-04-2015, 05:27 AM
Yeah but I wouldn't think high elves would accept "mixed breeds" lore-wise. The only thing I could think would sway high elves more than "racial purity" would be a religious edict...maybe Tunare gave the order in a vision or some such.

From what lore do you get that high elves obsess over "racial purity"? I always saw the existence of half-elves as Verant showing that the elves in the EQ universe were explicitly open to inter-racial relationships of all kinds, intimate, professional, etc.

It seems reasonable to me that some half-elves could be born to a high elf or a wood elf parent and that visually they wouldn't appear very different. Maybe the human phenotypes are more genetically dominant and the phenotypes from the elves are just the pointy ears, infravision, facial features, etc. It's also interesting to consider whether half elves may also sometimes descend from dark elves as well, yet the human features are just more dominant.

Unless there's some lore that explicitly says they are the result of a wood elf parent and a human parent, I'd think it's intentional that they left it vague. It's up to the player to craft the story of their character's parents. Maybe half elves who start in Felwithe are the ones who are part high elf or maybe they're part wood elf and just decided to go the independent lifestyle and train with the Tunarian knights next door.

Mentathiel
03-04-2015, 05:39 AM
Well, if you look at elven racial armours, all three elven races (high, wood and dark) create armour which can be worn by half-elves. This suggests that all three races spawn half-elves regularly enough that they have made their armour adjustable for their half-human Ayr'Dal children.

We know that elves are genetically compatible with other races too; in the Neriak rogue's guild, there is a quest to murder a pregnant halfling because she is carrying a dark elf's child.

But, of course, consider that even the wood elves call them Ayr'Dal, a word meaning outcast, mongrel or misfit elves. It's not always racial purity or xenophobia, just a tendency for pure-blooded elves to be considered 'normal' and anything else is therefore deviant.

maskedmelon
03-04-2015, 09:50 AM
Ohhhh that excites me! I've always wanted to play a Drowling (halfling-drow) ^^

I agree that half elves being referred to as mongrels or misfit elves by their elven kin, that may not stem from some intangible racial bias, rather from the fact that for whatever reason half elves are less mentally adept, dexterous and agile while at the same time more brutish than elves (and even humans for that matter).

On another note, I've not read enough lore to know whether it is accurate or not, but the inclination for people to pervert 'good' with some form of inherent corruption or injustice has always bothered me.

NizmerThafen
03-04-2015, 10:39 AM
They are traitors to Mithaniel Marr and Erollisi Marr, the twin bastions of honor and truth and righteousness. Having turned their backs on the glorius struggle to free Freeport from the vile influence of Innoruuk's bootlicking pansy, Lucan D'Lere, they have fled to shameful exile on Faydwer with their cowardly elfin cousins.

You might as well ask why the largest continent of of Norrath is no longer called Tunaria, and is now Antonica. The elfin "godess" is fallen and cowers with her puny minions, hiding behind the foul-smelling skirts of the filthy dwarves of Kaladim, the tunareans have lost any hint of greatness they might once have aspired to. Even the once-gentle Halfings carry on the fight against Innoruuk's vile minions, meanwhile the elfs cower and quake in their hovels.

Ignorant peasant! The Paladins of Felwithe have on-going missions on every continent. Who do you think is confronting the evil on the savage continent of Kunark while all others cower? Firiona Vie, an outpost carved out entirely by elven might, stands as a beacon for that dark continent. Odd that so few representatives of Marr show their face in a land of such adversity, now infected by dark elves and worse.

In spite of single handedly constructing a beachhead on Kunark, specific focus is also given to disinfecting the oozing sore that is Freeport. It is clear that the denizens of Freeport are in need of aid in spite of the well established presence of knights and clerics of Marr. Only out of a sense of benevolence do the Tunare's knights come to their aid. Half elven Paladins are ideally suited for this mission as they form a bridge between the feeble and short lived race of humans and the immortal High Elves.

Perhaps you should watch your words if you expect the helms from slain guard dogs of Luccan D'Lere to continue to be piled up at the Hall of Truth.

Mentathiel
03-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Well, speaking from experience, the Koada'Dal (and even the Feir'Dal to a lesser degree) have some issues with deeply-entrenched xenophobia. I know they have had bad experiences with their Antonican counterparts, but there are Teir'Dal of my acquaintance who have fought shoulder to shoulder with their woodland cousins in Crushbone, who have earned the right to be known as defenders of the Faydark. They have shown their character is a dozen battles, proven themselves until even the dour and stoic dwarves will hail them amiably, but they must still go cloaked and disguised into Felwithe for fear of the 'Chosen' elves' wrath.

Truly, it is easier for one of the Fier'Dal to earn the trust of the 'evil' elves than for a single dark-skinned elf to walk openly in the Faydark, no matter how much orcish blood they have spilled.

Sage Truthbearer
03-04-2015, 01:23 PM
As a Koada`Dal Paladin, I treat half-breeds with weariness and caution. Those that follow the ways of the old, Tunare, may be tolerated and find Tynkale endures their presence in our marbled hometown. As a rule, however, we allow limited social interaction with the lesser races and do not seek their companionship.

Mentathiel
03-04-2015, 01:42 PM
Indeed... I do worry that the racial purity of the Koada'Dal may have gone too far when it has become hard to tell one pale-skinned, white-haired individual from other except by gender. Mating with one's own kind is one thing, but there's such a lack of genetic diversity that it sometimes looks like Felwithe is populated entirely by clones.

Sage Truthbearer
03-04-2015, 01:54 PM
We are the First Children of Tunare, the mother of the elves and all that is beautiful in the world. It is not surprising that you are jealous of our place in her heart.

Mentathiel
03-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Thus, as chosen of the goddess of nature, you live in great cities built into the very trees and place no walls between your homes and her glorious creations. You revere the natural forces as druids and rangers, giving worship to her in the open air, rather than hiding away in carved marble halls like dwarves and humans...

No... Wait... That would be we Feir'Dal, wouldn't it?

pink grapefruit
03-04-2015, 02:05 PM
As a Koada`Dal Paladin, I treat half-breeds with weariness and caution. Those that follow the ways of the old, Tunare, may be tolerated and find Tynkale endures their presence in our marbled hometown. As a rule, however, we allow limited social interaction with the lesser races and do not seek their companionship.

Are those few "decent" half elves raised in Felwithe from an early age, or do they end up there later in life, when it's time to begin their knightly training? If they're not brought up in the city I'm wondering how they know they possess holy abilities at all, and how they know to make their way to Felwithe when the time is right.

myriverse
03-04-2015, 02:26 PM
I'm sure it's a mixture of the two, but probably more of the latter. Maybe they would take a half-elf swaddling, as do monasteries and nuneries, but most answer a call like any other.

Sage Truthbearer
03-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Are those few "decent" half elves raised in Felwithe from an early age, or do they end up there later in life, when it's time to begin their knightly training? If they're not brought up in the city I'm wondering how they know they possess holy abilities at all, and how they know to make their way to Felwithe when the time is right.

Half-breeds are born in Felwithe, though it is rare that any would retain close ties with our city. They are considered outsiders to us, and tend to be wanderers as they are unwelcome in Human and Elven societies alike. But it is not uncommon for Half-breeds who follow the path of Tunare to be found seeking training as a Paladin in our guild halls.