PDA

View Full Version : Who made this Android app?! - PRAS

Deadlyfury
03-01-2015, 04:58 PM
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hr.apps.n162566109

It's called everquest classic and is pretty much P1999 facebook and I can't believe I found it!

More peeps need to jump on.

Anyone know who made it? I would love to give my thanks :-D

Millburn
03-01-2015, 05:38 PM
Jesus christ this thing is baller as hell.

Deadlyfury
03-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Jesus christ this thing is baller as hell.

I know how awesome is it!

HeallunRumblebelly
03-01-2015, 07:47 PM
Is good. Love it.

Realanlon
03-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Found this a few weeks ago. Very handy.

Sirken
03-01-2015, 09:04 PM
is it like a wiki? or... an actual game? wtf is it?

Millburn
03-01-2015, 09:24 PM

It's like a social encyclopedia!

Deadlyfury
03-01-2015, 09:52 PM

It's just like a hub with links to everything and a little social network area to post like chat articles, handy to have when playing so I can play full screen and have all the info at my fingertips :)

Qian
03-02-2015, 07:29 AM
Why does an app like this need access to location, camera, and video?

Just seems a little odd...

myriverse
03-02-2015, 07:36 AM
This guy, bunglusu, told us about this back in October. And people asked about why location, camera, etc. and he got kind of pissy.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-167031.html

Brocode
03-02-2015, 07:44 AM
pretty much they said its used to steal users data.

Mentathiel
03-02-2015, 07:49 AM
It looks like it is based on a common 'community app' framework which I bet he didn't create. Having played with it, it looks like most of the permissions are just for the social media side (taking photos and sharing images and keeping up to date) rather than any real evils.

I mean, if bunglusu really created it, he'd know that. +1 to the theory that he was just using a drag&drop tool to build the app and has no idea how it actually works.

Edit:
Now whether the original framework developer's stealing your personal data to sell to marketers is another matter...

Deadlyfury
03-02-2015, 08:23 AM
Camera is to post pictures straight from status updates, and maybe it needs access to video because they are in the same place?

Location I always see and have never known lol

gildor
03-02-2015, 02:29 PM
app doesn't do anything but frame wiki and atlas and force you to read comments from other nerds when you launch it..eh....ill pass

nyclin
03-02-2015, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't recommend installing this app on a rooted phone, let alone any phone

This app is going to scrape your phone for marketing data and send it to some 3rd party without your consent.

dude was being dodgy about explaining the permissions because he knows people won't install his app if they know that he's scraping their contact lists

Xer0
03-02-2015, 03:49 PM

This app is going to scrape your phone for marketing data and send it to some 3rd party without your consent.

dude was being dodgy about explaining the permissions because he knows people won't install his app if they know that he's scraping their contact lists
it's easy to say that's the case, but it's not necessary so. If I'm wrong, and you're a programmer of sorts, I'd be delighted to see your evidence.

Millburn
03-02-2015, 03:51 PM
app doesn't do anything but frame wiki and atlas and force you to read comments from other nerds when you launch it..eh....ill pass

You sound like a pleasant person to know.

Yeah I was reading through that old thread as well, he definitely was being really defensive about it all. Honestly though? I don't actually give two shits if they're scraping my data. I mean 3/4ths of the apps on both Google and Apple's app market do that as well and sure that's no reason to put up with it but it seems pretty innocuous to me if all they're doing is using it for market research. That shit's been going on since the dawn of capitalism.

Deadlyfury
03-02-2015, 04:39 PM
You sound like a pleasant person to know.

Yeah I was reading through that old thread as well, he definitely was being really defensive about it all. Honestly though? I don't actually give two shits if they're scraping my data. I mean 3/4ths of the apps on both Google and Apple's app market do that as well and sure that's no reason to put up with it but it seems pretty innocuous to me if all they're doing is using it for market research. That shit's been going on since the dawn of capitalism.

I agree, and if you actually read the whole thread, he's pretty clueless about the whole thing, as someone mentioned he probably jumped on a community type app maker and styled and linked everything up.

Some of you guys need to take your tin hats off and join in the fun, I'm addicted to this app now lol

Paleman
03-02-2015, 06:53 PM
CDOs from black hearts on blue made this. I like the program, and just marketing data seems like a fair price for a program that I can post my twitch stream to people that watch, or just promote or discuss eq classic with like minded folk,or arrange a group through.

SCB
03-02-2015, 07:03 PM

Why anyone would care about this is beyond me.

Xer0
03-02-2015, 11:24 PM
Why anyone would care about this is beyond me.

I think by taking seemingly excessive precautions here or there (picking their battles) it allows people to maintain the illusion of privacy.

Deadlyfury
03-02-2015, 11:59 PM
Fine don't install the app, but at least visit the site and post up to chat :-)
http://n215893.shoutem.com/v4/?builderPreview=true&design_mode=true#datasourceId=ShoutemDataSource%3A Users%3AAll&_=users_details