PDA

View Full Version : sword and board or 2hander for pally??

mr_jon3s
03-01-2015, 03:56 AM
Going to hit 20 soon on my pally and I have a wurmslayer, stave of shield, and ghoulbane. Im gonna buy a baton of faith and axe of the lost souls. Just wondering whats gonna be the best for tanking or dealing damage.

Kender
03-01-2015, 06:06 PM
ghoulbane in unrest is fun at 20

i used sword and board in a group because you're not there to do damage.
Solo however, i found it better to use a good ratio 2h

Tuljin
03-01-2015, 08:27 PM
Sword and Board caster mobs - make sure you're keeping up on your bash skillups

2hand everything else

maskedmelon
03-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Your job, 100%, beyond anything else is to do damage. Your second job is a very very distant 2nd all things considered.

We know this to be false because if your ability to deal damage somehow interfere's with the rogue's ability to do so (by you losing aggro for example), then the mob would die more slowly, while dealing more damage (in this case to the less efficiently mitigating rogue).

Now I cannot think of any reason why a 2h weapon would interfere with aggro management, so by all means use one since dealing damage is your second concern in a group (right after aggro management) in normal group situations. However there are many other situations in which other activities become more important than dealing damage as well. Paladins are not one trick ponies.

Ezalor
03-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Since when are you not there to do damage?

since forever? paladins are not there to do damage, they are there for the amazing snap aggro which makes them ideal tanks for pug grouping situations

if your group needs damage, that is why you invite dps classes

have you ever gotten a paladin past level 20?

theaetatus
03-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Your job, 100%, beyond anything else is to do damage. Your second job is a very very distant 2nd all things considered.

Wow, so very wrong I'm sure it's a troll.

maskedmelon
03-02-2015, 12:52 PM
Wow, so very wrong I'm sure it's a troll.

I am not sure he is trolling. It is a valid argument in many ( if not most) other online games, it is just woefully off base in EQ and just demonstrates he has no experience playing a Paladin in EQ.

Ezalor
03-02-2015, 01:02 PM
"Your job, 100%, beyond anything else is to CC."
- Buriedpast's advice to a Rogue in his group

Lartanin63
03-02-2015, 06:45 PM
I would totally use that ghoulbane and a shield in undead situations. I don't think the DPs from either of those 2 handers could keep up with the DMG from the procs the ghoulbane will give you. I use baton in mistmoore and it did the job fine.

Kender
03-02-2015, 06:47 PM
lol pallies doing damage. you guys are hilarious

kaev
03-02-2015, 07:22 PM
I would totally use that ghoulbane and a shield in undead situations. I don't think the DPs from either of those 2 handers could keep up with the DMG from the procs the ghoulbane will give you. I use baton in mistmoore and it did the job fine.

Proc is 140 to 162 dd, depending on your level. That gives ~ 2.5dps with 100-ish dex, ~ 5dps with over 200 dex, assuming every proc lands for full damage (keep on dreamin!). It's awesome good fun in Unrest where the mobs have few enough HP that 140dd proc moves their health bar very noticeably. But once you've moved beyond Unrest you'll find Baton of Faith & Sword of the Morning produce noticeably better sustained damage than Ghoulbane even vs. undead.

[edit]
lol pallies doing damage. you guys are hilarious
Under L40 Paladin damage output contributes solidly to a group, especially with good weapons being so outrageously cheap on this server. After 40 tho their damage stagnates (actually gets worse if they don't have access to higher level haste & attack buffs) while the real DPSers keep scaling upwards.

captnamazing
03-02-2015, 08:50 PM
you'll want to wield a rogue in your MH for DPS and a warrior in your OH to take the hits

Kender
03-02-2015, 09:28 PM
you'll want to wield a rogue in your MH for DPS and a warrior in your OH to take the hits

pallies cant dual wield. even if that rogue and warrior were gnomes

Lartanin63
03-02-2015, 09:39 PM
I guess I should of stated I didn't mean forever. He said he was almost 20. To assume I meant that is just a bit much.

maskedmelon
03-02-2015, 11:00 PM
You would need 2 proc per min to beat a .75 ratio weapon... I think... GB proc is around 200 = 3.33/sec ~ 12/swing ~+5-6 weapon damage per proc on a 15/34 weapon, or making it equiv to a 26-27/34. I cannot recall how often it process, but that seems attainable.

*edit Kaev beat me to the analysis! D: proc number is different though, what gives?

maskedmelon
03-02-2015, 11:06 PM
pallies cant dual wield. even if that rogue and warrior were gnomes

No need, warriors are meatshields....

kaev
03-03-2015, 12:09 AM
You would need 2 proc per min to beat a .75 ratio weapon... I think... GB proc is around 200 = 3.33/sec ~ 12/swing ~+5-6 weapon damage per proc on a 15/34 weapon, or making it equiv to a 26-27/34. I cannot recall how often it process, but that seems attainable.

*edit Kaev beat me to the analysis! D: proc number is different though, what gives?

http://wiki.project1999.com/Dismiss_Undead

Pretty sure that info is correct, I cannot ever recall getting a proc anywhere near 200 with a ghoulbane, although I am half tempted to log in my paladin or cleric to nuke a green undead just to verify the 162 damage cap on Dismiss.

Freakish
03-03-2015, 01:33 AM
All procs should be equalized at this point in the server. Proc rate mods are all 0.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125483&highlight=proc+rate

Tuljin
03-03-2015, 10:39 AM
Yeah I thought the Paladin DPS dude was trolling too but I wasn't about to be a dick about it I knew everyone else would take care of that lol

Baton of Faith is good and cheap. Ghoulbane is good in Unrest in 20s but 30+ it really starts to slow down damage-wise

maskedmelon
03-03-2015, 05:25 PM
http://wiki.project1999.com/Dismiss_Undead

Pretty sure that info is correct, I cannot ever recall getting a proc anywhere near 200 with a ghoulbane, although I am half tempted to log in my paladin or cleric to nuke a green undead just to verify the 162 damage cap on Dismiss.

Oh, interesting! That link is what I was referencing (look at the description at the top of the page) ^^ my memory doesn't allow me to retain that kind of info (or anything else) very long lol. I hadn't even noticed the other values down below in the effects area though ^^