PDA

View Full Version : Are keyboard macros allowed?

collards
02-24-2015, 08:24 AM
If you have a programmable keyboard, can you program it to do stuff like keep spamming sense heading? Does this fall under the same category as Macro Quest or showeq?

Dirkus
02-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Just bind it to the same keys as your movement. It will max in no time at all.

myriverse
02-24-2015, 11:55 AM
Did we need two threads?

PDX0621
02-24-2015, 12:03 PM
Not sure, but I think I remember reading that that was a no go, the programming part. Easiest way to level up sense heading is to bind your directional keys to your sense heading ability using the option controls. You'll max it out in a couple levels at most, and it's all legit.

collards
02-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Did we need two threads?

No we definitely did not. This was my first time posting and I couldn't find my original thread, so I posted again. I didn't realize the moderators have to look at every new thread.

Voland
02-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Maxing out skills by binding to movement keys is easy, but this doesn't work for spells or melee.
Any advice, aside from "sit for few hours and cast a low level spell"?

loramin
02-24-2015, 03:36 PM
The rule (as I understand it) is very simple: X is only legal if X is something you can do normally, otherwise it's prohibited.

So if you want to use your programmable keyboard remap your "A" key to "T", that's totally legal, because both Windows and EQ itself will let you do that normally. But if you want to map "A" to "T" then "Z", that's illegal, because it gives you a competitive advantage over normal keyboard users (who can't press two keys at once with a single key press).

*EDIT*
I got it wrong; the actual rule can be found at http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132299 (rule #3). The actual rule is stricter than what I said: it makes no allowances for programs that only do normal things (although in practice I highly doubt anyone will ever get in trouble for mapping "A" to "T").

YendorLootmonkey
02-24-2015, 03:43 PM
Ask Myuharin his thoughts about duct-taping a key down.

Pint
02-24-2015, 04:10 PM
Def illegal but with something like sense heading in sure you'll get away with it

mr_jon3s
02-24-2015, 04:56 PM
Classic

thieros
02-24-2015, 04:57 PM
unrelated note, Bhear Ghrillz <Dial A Port> is the man

captnamazing
02-24-2015, 05:10 PM

HeallunRumblebelly
02-24-2015, 05:20 PM
Ask Myuharin his thoughts about duct-taping a key down.

more duct tape than exploit, following the nagafen in the ceiling "more lucky than exploit" from our classic champions on Red99. IIRC that got that entire guild banned / removed and fucked up the endgame guild balance of red99 for the last couple of years.

Swish
02-24-2015, 06:49 PM
http://www.project1999.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5956&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1424811350

He's going back for more! :D

fastboy21
02-24-2015, 08:29 PM
The rule is you can map anything to a script as long as the script isn't self sufficient and doesn't need any input from the user. That's just a bot and automation.

If you wanted to write a /castspell 1 pause 8500 /castspell 2, etc etc, that wouldn't be against the rules at all, because you're still triggering the initial casting.

I'm fairly sure you have to physically be at the keyboard also. If a GM suspects you of running a macro he might investigate by verifying that you are not afk doing whatever you are doing...if you are afk you might be breaking the rules, technically.

Obviously, they aren't looking for folks who are making a macro to max their sense heading or pick lock skill...they are more likely to be concerned by other behaviors that are more beneficial. But, if the question was about the letter of the law then any type of AFK macro'ing would be against the rules imo.

loramin
02-24-2015, 08:55 PM
The rule is you can map anything to a script as long as the script isn't self sufficient and doesn't need any input from the user. That's just a bot and automation.

3. You may not use third-party programs on Project 1999.

The use of any third-party programs on Project 1999, including but not limited to, Macroquest/Macroquest2(MQ/MQ2), ShowEQ(SEQ), or any other program that interacts with the Everquest Titanium Client, is strictly prohibited. Use of any third-party programs will be detected and will result in the permanent banning of your account(s). No exceptions will be made, and once a ban has been enacted for violation of this rule it will not be reversed.

Notice how there is nothing whatsoever in the rule about self-sufficiency; as far as I can tell you just made that up.

Now in practice, as FastBoy21 wrote:

Obviously, they aren't looking for folks who are making a macro to max their sense heading

but in terms of the letter of the law its any 3rd party program that interacts with EverQuest.

PDX0621
02-24-2015, 11:07 PM

Wait...what did I do?!

Filbus only agreeing because he knows who I work for...

Mentathiel
02-25-2015, 07:29 AM
As a rogue, I added sense heading to the macros for evasion and foraging, etc. I was 200 in it before I hit level 10 without having to mess with my movement keys. Most classes will have something of that sort, whether it's enchanters adding a message to their mez actions or a warrior added /rude to their taunt, and you can just add sense heading to the end.

EQ includes those five-line macros for a reason, so you might as well make use of them...

geirr
02-25-2015, 08:17 AM
I don't see why it would be illegal to have something like an autohotkey or autokey script auto swap a bard's melee weapons to an instrument and back, for example, but apparently it is. It would be equivalent to the later added bandolier, although not as good. I can understand why such scripts used for other actions might be illegal, but then again that is like banning the use of knives or guns or cars in real life for the same reason. Macroquest and showeq are another story.

Stormfists
02-25-2015, 09:31 AM
I also want to make macros.

/stand
/cast
/sit

How long will I be banned for if caught?

Thanks.

maskedmelon
02-25-2015, 10:08 AM
I also want to make macros.

/stand
/cast
/sit

How long will I be banned for if caught?

Thanks.

That is a common macro that is achievable within EQ. You will not be band for that so long as you craft the macro in EQ and not as a recorded/programmed macro on your keyboard or other input device / software. And yes, they can tell the difference.

Stormfists
02-25-2015, 10:50 AM
That is a common macro that is achievable within EQ. You will not be band for that so long as you craft the macro in EQ and not as a recorded/programmed macro on your keyboard or other input device / software. And yes, they can tell the difference.

Ah right, understood.

Will be sure to my autofire programme to repeat this macro at any dragon within spawn window.

Thanks again.

loramin
02-25-2015, 02:22 PM
EQ includes those five-line macros for a reason, so you might as well make use of them...

They can actually be ten-line macros, as long as every other line is a "pause".