PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Firiona Vie Guards

Darbosi
02-22-2015, 12:48 PM
I noticed, as did a few other players, that the Firiona Vie Guards do not attack monsters that you bring into the the city until your are dead or very close to dead (<10%hp I think). I have watched the guards pilgrims and pixies attack goblins on sight without any player interference many times. I ran into the zone with a goblin on my tail and a pirate. The guards did not attack the goblin until I was almost dead regardless of the fact that I was standing all but on top of them and had already ran past at least one other, and they let the pirate kill me. This seems like it should not be the case, otherwise why would there be guards there in the first place. My faction is amiable. I did some digging and could not find anything about this specific issue other than patch notes about the purpose of guards which clearly states that guards are there for players to run to in cases of certain death. Here is the link to the patch notes I've found. >> http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000512.html <<<
I was thinking it is possible that they are intended to be this way because of the Pilgrims and other such NPCs wandering the zone who would otherwise clear out most of the monsters to be had in the area, however they do attack Goblins and Drolvargs when they get within aggro range but the guards did not help me when one was attacking me. This may be a bug related to the way the Pilgrims are set up, wherein they will assist you if you drop below 10%hp. The guards should attack anything of threatening faction or lower when it runs by them regardless of circumstances. I don't need proof to know that, as that is how the faction system on every single other NPC in the entire game works and has always worked. Please let me know if anything can be done about this.

nilbog
02-22-2015, 02:10 PM
I believe the case with the goblin is that it sometimes takes a tick (3 seconds for aggro iirc) for the guard to recognize there was a kos npc within range.

Regarding the pirate.. guards often are not kos against humanoid species. Similar to bandits in the karanas, guards are not kos to the pirates.

BlkCamel
02-22-2015, 02:53 PM
I noticed, as did a few other players, that the Firiona Vie Guards do not attack monsters that you bring into the the city until your are dead or very close to dead (<10%hp I think). I have watched the guards pilgrims and pixies attack goblins on sight without any player interference many times. I ran into the zone with a goblin on my tail and a pirate. The guards did not attack the goblin until I was almost dead regardless of the fact that I was standing all but on top of them and had already ran past at least one other, and they let the pirate kill me. This seems like it should not be the case, otherwise why would there be guards there in the first place. My faction is amiable. I did some digging and could not find anything about this specific issue other than patch notes about the purpose of guards which clearly states that guards are there for players to run to in cases of certain death. Here is the link to the patch notes I've found. >> http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000512.html <<<
I was thinking it is possible that they are intended to be this way because of the Pilgrims and other such NPCs wandering the zone who would otherwise clear out most of the monsters to be had in the area, however they do attack Goblins and Drolvargs when they get within aggro range but the guards did not help me when one was attacking me. This may be a bug related to the way the Pilgrims are set up, wherein they will assist you if you drop below 10%hp. The guards should attack anything of threatening faction or lower when it runs by them regardless of circumstances. I don't need proof to know that, as that is how the faction system on every single other NPC in the entire game works and has always worked. Please let me know if anything can be done about this.

Nilbog is the man, but if you think there is a problem beyond what Nilbog said, Fraps the guards not assisting on mobs they should with you standing by guards for at-least 30 seconds. Enough evidence something is wrong with get the devs to dig deeper but they are busy so circumstantial evidence can be difficult to validate.:D