PDA

View Full Version : Having some troubles with maps

crazykappa
02-20-2015, 11:54 PM
Hello everyone, returning player here, left the game around 02-03, and i am having some trouble. When i first read the description of this server, i loved the idea, then the first time i logged on i found there was no map. I immediately started having second doubts, I'm down with old-school EQ, but no map? That's a hard pill to swallow!

But instead of giving up, i read on, and found two mods on the forums that would solve my problem. Number one on that list was Norrathmap, a mini map would be perfect! Well Norrathmap runs on .NET 4.5.1, and 4.5.1 does not run on XP. Gaming rig fried, and I'm down to using this POS for a while, and no i cant upgrade to 7 or 8.

But still no problem, i have one choice left, p99-patcher. It captures /loc locations and plots them on a different tab, not as nice as Norrathmap, but at this point, beggers cant be choosers. After installing/running p99-patcher.bat, i get a error, "cant find p99-patcher.exe". I have tried editing the Bat file to point to "Launch Titanium.bat", even renaming "Launch Titanium.bat" to p99-patcher.exe, nothing has worked.

As i said before, when i found out there was no map, i was put off. I'm a bit more than put off after finding out, there are maps, but only i don't get to use them!

Why would you disable the map, than allow mods that replicate the map? Let alone, map mods with more functionality than the original map! Where is the logic in this?

Thulack
02-21-2015, 12:20 AM
They dont make the mods. They can decide what the game client allows and doesnt. Maps ingame arent classic. Neither are the mods your using since they dont work on xp :P Your choosing to use unclassic mods to play the game. Thats your call. Get a bind and print shit out and learn to use /loc like everyone else or better yet memorize all the zones.

Deadmantis
02-21-2015, 12:27 AM
I used to have a map of Kunark with all of the loc coords on it for the zone connections. I laminated it with like a half roll of scotch tape. I bet I still have it somewhere.

girth
02-21-2015, 12:52 AM
I had a folder with every zone map printed out. I think it still exists at my parents house. That shit was money.

mr_jon3s
02-21-2015, 01:23 AM
Train 1 point into sense heading and bind your left and right turn to the hotkey. This maxes your sense heading. Next always have eq atlas or the p99 wiki open in the background.

cubiczar
02-21-2015, 03:16 AM
I'm there with ya, I was a bit disappointed when I realized there were no maps either but I'm getting used to it again. Its a bit strange how quickly I start to recognize landmarks and other things I used to have memorized. Honestly I would just drop the "mapquest" and use the wiki maps and /loc, you'll start to pick up the zones pretty quickly and won't care too much (other than in dungeons when trying to train to the zone lol).

Vart
02-21-2015, 03:57 AM
This will solve almost all your travel needs from zone to zone. You will need some traditional printouts of maps for dungeons.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020810222337/www.eqmaps.com/locsheet.php3

This is the same location sheet I printed out in 2002 ( strange that I kept it for 13 years with all my other EQ stuff , Nostalgia I guess )

Sirken
02-21-2015, 05:25 AM
http://www.allakabor.com/eqatlas/atlas.html

murcielago200
02-21-2015, 06:47 AM
Norrathmap.com

Mentathiel
02-21-2015, 07:00 AM
EQ Atlas (see Sirken's link) is the classic solution and they have been copied to the wiki; I remember running around with a ring-binder of maps in my lap as I discovered new zones and new mobs that wanted to kill me. Yes, I am sure minimaps are convenient, but you're not enjoying the classic experience until you start thinking about wall-papering your room with EQ Atlas maps...

skitterburst
02-21-2015, 04:06 PM
just use a tablet for maps and wiki. like a pokedex

crazykappa
02-21-2015, 05:18 PM
I know classic EQ did not have maps, i as well used EQ Atlas, but that's not the point. This server did make the choice to allow maps, because they specifically allow the two mapping mods, does not matter if the server had no hand in making them.

Either way, i will be playing on this server, I'm going with EverQuest Map Preserve, as they have tons of maps with all the layers. But I'm a little pissed, that i cant even have a basic map, while others can have an enhanced mini-map, that is not even offered in the full Titanium edition of EQ... What can i say, i believe in a fair playing field. Either let everyone make the choice, or no maps period.

Wfrench1234
02-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Lol

wormed
02-21-2015, 06:55 PM
Having no maps doesn't even bother me. I remember the best part of the game was the exploration and the general excitement of not actually knowing where you were or where you were going. Obviously, as you got better at the game, you definitely remembered certain loc's and you become a pro at using it.

I'm enjoying the experience again. I gotta admit. It's fun having to look up a map of Gfay so I could find Crushbone, for example.

Just stick it out. Maps are irrelevant.

nilbog
02-21-2015, 06:59 PM
It captures /loc locations and plots them on a different tab

All right. I'll bite. I assume you know how the map programs work because you said this. Ultimately, it reads your log file, to plot location on a map.

Why would you disable the map, than allow mods that replicate the map?"Allow mods". This brings up the question. How do we prevent it? My suggestion.. well, people didn't like. I suggested not allowing /loc output to write to the log file.

This server did make the choice to allow maps, because they specifically allow the two mapping mods, does not matter if the server had no hand in making them.

"Allow maps". Again, if you know what a map program does, how do you suggest stopping it?

What can i say, i believe in a fair playing field. Either let everyone make the choice, or no maps period.No maps period!

http://insightfulnana.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/i-voted.jpg

nnngn_zero
02-21-2015, 07:19 PM
What fun would it be to die and know exactly where your corpse is?
Corpse runs when you got disoriented and can't remember or find where you died are the best!

littlebobby3
02-22-2015, 02:12 AM
Good thing I know my way around zones ..m and I use the wiki for places I don't know well lol

Celatus
02-22-2015, 03:09 AM
Original eq devs said it was a mistake not to have in game maps from the start glad we are repeating that mistake. I know most of these zones so well i could walk through them in my sleep so its no big deal.

Rararboker
02-22-2015, 02:38 PM
There isn't that many zones and they are all square/rectangle. It doesn't take long to learn them.

Not even lying.

nnngn_zero
02-22-2015, 02:51 PM
That is true, but someone new to the game may not realize right of the bat

myriverse
02-22-2015, 03:09 PM
What fun would it be to die and know exactly where your corpse is?
Pretty sure that 99% of my deaths in EQ, ever, were in a known location. Knowing where or not is irrelevant to fun. It's getting to them that can be fun.

crazykappa
02-22-2015, 05:59 PM
@nilbog ""Allow mods". This brings up the question. How do we prevent it? My suggestion.. well, people didn't like. I suggested not allowing /loc output to write to the log file."

""Allow maps". Again, if you know what a map program does, how do you suggest stopping it?"

Would not allowing /loc to write to output file, disable the in game /loc feature? If not, you have your answer. Besides, when has effective enforcement, been a requirement for a rule? This server already has rules that it can not fully enforce, its not like i found out about those mapping programs from a 3rd party, found them here on a sticky page.

Either way, the map issue is done issue, my memory of the area's came back faster then i anticipated, after leveling up sense heading its become a non-issue. I just don't understand why i was banned. I admit sometimes i can be difficult, and i kinda blew up when i saw i was banned. lol

DivineMissE
02-26-2015, 02:02 PM
I have to admit that the no map thing made me blink...but...it's kind of liberating in an annoyingly interesting way. Having no maps has been forcing me to do old school things like run into walls, dead ends... call out trains to zones...

Part of the reason I am here at 99 is for nostalgia and boy is it nostalgic when you forget how and where your corpse went.

curtischoy
02-27-2015, 02:13 PM
Play and you will learn the zones you frequent. You will learn a path for the zones you run through, and you will learn where your favorite camps are. If you get lost (I still do after playing on here for about two years and over a decade on live) then bring up the wiki and look at a map.

No in-game map is part of the challenge. After a while you will embrace and love it.

Ofaelol
02-27-2015, 02:17 PM
I love p99 for what its exacting recreation of Classic EQ. No in game maps, however is the one point where I disagree with their policy. For me, it doesn't make the game more fun, it's just an annoying thing to get around. I play with EQAtlas open at all times, so why not let me have an in game window of it?

Teneran
02-27-2015, 03:42 PM
I love p99 for what its exacting recreation of Classic EQ. No in game maps, however is the one point where I disagree with their policy. For me, it doesn't make the game more fun, it's just an annoying thing to get around. I play with EQAtlas open at all times, so why not let me have an in game window of it?

I find XP loss upon death to be highly annoying. Why not get rid of that? Because it's part of the classic EQ game. So is not having an in game map.

maskedmelon
02-27-2015, 04:39 PM
We do not have in game maps because they are not classic. Whether they should or should not have been is irrelevant.

If we want to theory craft, some maps should be available for some zones as items. Some may be purchasable from merchants and others more difficult to obtain. All should contain varying degrees of inaccuracy and in general, be extraordinarily prestigious items. Maps would not be easy to make and not readily available to common folk. None should indicate the user's location on them. But this is classic EQ we are playing. No maps, ever, period. ^^

Millburn
02-27-2015, 04:39 PM
ITT - Younglings coming to terms with what this server is about.

I love it.

Karbine
02-28-2015, 10:12 AM
I also had a notebook of maps and spell listings, zone information that was at least a few hundred pages along with a big book on Kunark. had a picture of an Iskar on it. since I came back a month ago I have been tearing up the house trying to find where I stored them. Last time I saw it was prob 2004, but would love to find it.As it is I started a new one printing out the maps that are on the P99 web sites. After a while you wont be bothered about not having an in game map. For me having the maps next to my keyboard and having to study it and use it to find where I want to go adds to the experience and helps with my immersion.

Clark
02-28-2015, 09:44 PM
Welcome to the server!

Ofaelol
03-02-2015, 01:33 PM
I find XP loss upon death to be highly annoying. Why not get rid of that? Because it's part of the classic EQ game. So is not having an in game map.

In my opinion, the difference between XP loss and no map is the difference between challenging and frustrating.

Death penalties challenge me to think about pathing, health and mana pools, social aggro, etc., and reward me for playing "good." 90% of the time I die in p99 it feels like I made a mistake, and I want to do better the next time.

No map is frustrating. It's an inconvenience that doesn't make the game any more rewarding or immersing for me. If I get lost in a zone then I /loc and alt+tab to a map. No challenge, no reward, just tedium.

Teneran
03-02-2015, 03:14 PM
In my opinion, the difference between XP loss and no map is the difference between challenging and frustrating.

Death penalties challenge me to think about pathing, health and mana pools, social aggro, etc., and reward me for playing "good." 90% of the time I die in p99 it feels like I made a mistake, and I want to do better the next time.

No map is frustrating. It's an inconvenience that doesn't make the game any more rewarding or immersing for me. If I get lost in a zone then I /loc and alt+tab to a map. No challenge, no reward, just tedium.

For me, knowing your way around is part of the challenge, so i see it the same way as XP loss, but it's a mattr of opinion of course. i realize that's not an endearing feature for you, but unfortunately it's classic and highly unlikely to change here.

Millburn
03-02-2015, 03:44 PM
it's classic and highly unlikely to change here.

This guy's got it.

In-game maps were added with Legacy of Ykesha which means that we will never be receiving them here. Strap in for that classic ride boys.