PDA

View Full Version : Port for donation logs?

w1zard
02-18-2015, 12:33 AM
Any project current running where people are tracking who is donating what for ports from where to where? Initial thoughts would be to include name, guild, level, class, from, to, donation amount, and whether a donation was solicited or not. Perhaps a field for comments about context too.

Might be nice to see what people are paying and who is a cheap @$$ vs who pays top dollar. Thoughts?

Seadan
02-18-2015, 12:35 AM
If you're that worried about it why not say a set price yourself? "50PP for port to BFE"

quido
02-18-2015, 12:35 AM
If such a source of shared information actually existed, it would surely be trolled with bad data to the point of being worthless.

Master Roshi
02-18-2015, 01:00 AM
higher level chars pay more, there you go.

mr_jon3s
02-18-2015, 01:08 AM
I have found that saying donations appreciated but never required pays out more then demanding people pay you. Because of this I have had people come up to me and give me 50p to a peice of kunark set item because I ported them while they were on a CR or it was an alt. Pretty much just don't be a dick and you will make more.

Mordyth
02-18-2015, 01:11 AM

Higher level characters *should pay more
CR should be free too

Nimmanu
02-18-2015, 01:22 AM
Why? Who gets to define who's a cheapskate (cheap a$$, whatever)?

What if I just bought a full round of spells, so I have 5pp to my name, and I gave it ALL for a port? Am I a cheapskate because I only paid 5pp, or am I generous because I gave all I had?

This is an indefinable thing. If you say 'donations', then you have to trust that the person donating is doing just that.

If you want no less than 10 plat from under level 20 and no less less than 40 from lvl 20-40, and no less than 100 from lvl 40-60, then say so before you port them. If they aren't willing to pay your fee, don't port them. If a person is a cheapskate because YOU had an assumed amount and they didn't "donate" that... then you're the one with the problem.

An unspoken assumption is an expectation. A spoken desire is a boundary. Expectations will always let you down. Notice I didn't say the person who didn't meet your unspoken expectation let you down... YOUR expectation let you down.

When a person doesn't listen and violates your boundary, then you have a leg to stand on with regards to calling them a cheapskate (cheap a$$, whatever).

If a person can't afford your fee, they don't travel with you. It's that simple. Then you're happy and they're happy because everyone knows exactly what to expect of each other now and in the future.

PDX0621
02-18-2015, 01:30 PM
I don't really see the purpose for this. As a part time taxi myself, the donations I receive are all over the map. I've gotten 100pp or awesome items from naked level 10's for easy ports, and been low balled or "sorry bro in a hurry catch u next time" by level 60's from "reputable guilds" or complex or obscure pickups in the middle of nowhere. I'll say the the number of flakes or cancellations has declined tremendously for me since coming back after a 4-5 month break. Peoples donations have seemed to increase overall as well. This may be due to an overinflated economy though.

Argh
02-18-2015, 01:31 PM
I tip more if the bozo porting me isn't wearing GEBs.

Exalt
02-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Why? Who gets to define who's a cheapskate (cheap a$$, whatever)?

What if I just bought a full round of spells, so I have 5pp to my name, and I gave it ALL for a port? Am I a cheapskate because I only paid 5pp, or am I generous because I gave all I had?

This is an indefinable thing. If you say 'donations', then you have to trust that the person donating is doing just that.

If you want no less than 10 plat from under level 20 and no less less than 40 from lvl 20-40, and no less than 100 from lvl 40-60, then say so before you port them. If they aren't willing to pay your fee, don't port them. If a person is a cheapskate because YOU had an assumed amount and they didn't "donate" that... then you're the one with the problem.

An unspoken assumption is an expectation. A spoken desire is a boundary. Expectations will always let you down. Notice I didn't say the person who didn't meet your unspoken expectation let you down... YOUR expectation let you down.

When a person doesn't listen and violates your boundary, then you have a leg to stand on with regards to calling them a cheapskate (cheap a$$, whatever).

If a person can't afford your fee, they don't travel with you. It's that simple. Then you're happy and they're happy because everyone knows exactly what to expect of each other now and in the future.

It's all perception. You would still be a cheapskate.

skootr
02-18-2015, 01:46 PM
When porting on my wiz and people ask, I tell them tip what ever they can afford and feel right with.

The only thing that pisses me off off is when someone unloads all their silver/gold on me for a 50+ plat tip. Motherfucker I'm a wizard, that shit bring me to a crawl with my low STR.

kaev
02-18-2015, 01:55 PM
:rolleyes:
Forming new guild: <Dial-a-Bozo>
Class/Level/Gear Requirements: 44+ Druid or Wizard, must have and wear GEBs

I mostly port only guildies and friends on my druid and I won't accept tips from them, so I don't have a good feel for how well or poorly the community at large tips. When I pay for a port I really don't give a damn if the porter is naked or blinged out. Argh's being more than a bit silly here. I mean, if it was a thing to tip more for not wearing decent gear the same twits who bag their gear to abuse the "... CRs always free!" porters would just have their own druids bag their gear to abuse that custom as well.

harnold
02-18-2015, 02:08 PM

That is so dumb... If someone is spending time to port for plat because they are out of plat, you will tip them less if they have one item on worth a few k?

Everyone should add this idiot to their do not port list

maskedmelon
02-18-2015, 02:16 PM
This is kind of funny ^^ OP wants to restrict in game information concerning prices to benefit his business while at the same time seeking additional information to undermine potential customers. Self interest is rational, but this type of thing is precisely the reason we have laws lol ^^

Nimmanu
02-18-2015, 02:17 PM
It's all perception. You would still be a cheapskate.

Exactly. Any amount will be too little to some people. No matter how much it is.

On the other hand, others are grateful no matter the amount. I always like to give these people more and I go back to them time and time again. And as I get higher level, I pay a bit more. If they're willing to take my 5pp when I was only level 10, then I'll be really happy to give them however much I'll be paying when I'm higher level. I'll seek them out specifically because of their kindness and willingness to appreciate the fact that, to me, that 5pp was a LOT.

Aayrl
02-18-2015, 02:20 PM
I'm a bit surprised that ports are so competitive on the server. I don't understand why such a utility would ever be useful, why do we need the ability to compare donations from certain players? The very concept of donations should not be compared, as they are not something that is, by definition, expected of a player to provide in exchange for a port. Now, if you were selling ports, that's a different story, and you may charge whatever you please for the service - just make it known up front that the player is expected to pay. Don't pawn it off as a mandatory "donation".

I personally use the Karma based payment system. I never advertise and I never demand or expect donations - I'm sitting in the EC tunnel selling items, I can take the extra 2 minutes to port someone and then gate back to the tunnel. Most of the time, the generous player will toss a couple coins my way in appreciation for my willingness to fling them across the continent at no charge anyway.

Personally, as a rather new player on the server playing a less desirable grouping class, I've found folks are more apt to invite me along on their dungeon crawls after remembering the handful of free CR ports or alt crawls I've done for them in the past - and that alone is better payment than a couple platinum. Kindness goes a long way.

myriverse
02-18-2015, 02:22 PM
:rolleyes:
Forming new guild:
<Spin-a-Port>

Random destination. More you donate, the greater your odds of going where you want.:cool:

skipdog
02-18-2015, 02:25 PM
Meh, who cares. I've ported so many people and it just varies and there is no 'special way to advertise' that will all of a sudden make you a port baron rolling in the plats.

Most people pay a fair amount and that's all that matters.

Grimjaw
02-18-2015, 02:35 PM
on tallon zek classic, going rate for port was 50 plat. people would sit at spires waiting for wizards to show up. when the wizard came, he would usually sit and wait until he had a full group before even doing the port.

maskedmelon
02-18-2015, 02:45 PM
<Spin-a-Port>

Random destination. More you donate, the greater your odds of going where you want.:cool:

I would like to see all porters adopt this so I could start up my own <Cheap-Ass-Ports> offering teleportation rescue services to marooned cheap asses ^^.

Argh
02-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Everyone should add this idiot to their do not port list

Would probably be smarter if only those with GEBs did that.

It's a pretty basic rubric:

+50P for port
+50P for not having GEBs
+50P if you've added a bit of flair.

khanable
02-18-2015, 03:01 PM
dial a port should start tracking this sort of stuff

would be pretty funny to see which guild, on average, tips the best, and which guilds are copper peddling scrubs

Nuktari
02-18-2015, 03:08 PM
would be pretty funny to see which guild, on average, tips the best, and which guilds are copper peddling scrubs

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

kaev
02-18-2015, 03:15 PM

Hmmm, by far the best tipper I ever ported was Internode, infamous for the 86 TMO account ban RMT scandal. Using standard internet logic we quickly deduce from that isolated anecdote clear proof that all big tippers are bigtime RMTers... OMG! It's all so obvious now! Dial A Port has already assembled this data and their thugs have been using it to blackmail RMTers! Derubael isn't "retired", he's been assassinated for interfering with their RMTer fleecing operation, he's sleeping with the fishes because he threatened their sacred cashcow! Filbus tried to warn us, but did we pay attention? No, we all thought he was just telling stories, and here he was trying to save us all from the dark menace that has claimed our late, great, RMT hunter as its latest victim. /mourn Derubael.

Daldaen
02-18-2015, 03:33 PM

I once had a monk with CoF, Epic, Fungi, NoS, Tranix Crown, Fingerbone Hoop, T Staff, etc. Tip me 3 platinum for an EJ Evac.

All good monks carry gems for purposes of currency. From this interaction I determined this monk was a bad monk and likely an RMTer.

khanable
02-18-2015, 03:36 PM
ya'll gotta start tipping starting with your coppers. then put all the silvers in, all the gold, and spend about 5-10s getting out the 50-75p

every port should end in the porter asking 'is this guy fucking serious right now'

captnamazing
02-18-2015, 04:40 PM
ya'll gotta start tipping starting with your coppers. then put all the silvers in, all the gold, and spend about 5-10s getting out the 50-75p

every port should end in the porter asking 'is this guy fucking serious right now'

i would do this, but i always tell them what i'm paying up front cause the service is drastically faster when you say "50pp for a port from x to x." i've gone MINUTES doing /ooc donating for x to x and not getting anything.

Mordyth
02-18-2015, 06:24 PM
<Spin-a-Port>

HAHA! I actually LOL'ed

Random D12 on where you go, put hate into the rotation as well... Gate yourself out if quicker than evac :eek:

Lictor
02-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Tipping with peridots is how professionals do it

harnold
02-18-2015, 06:35 PM
Would probably be smarter if only those with GEBs did that.

It's a pretty basic rubric:

+50P for port
+50P for not having GEBs
+50P if you've added a bit of flair.

ok, i take back what I said. As long as your paying 50pp there isn't a problem.

GnashingOfTeeth
02-18-2015, 06:39 PM

Pownd
02-18-2015, 08:21 PM
I rarely tip less than 100p and usually I tip around 150p. If I ask for an obscure thing, evac from droga I offer 200 the faster they get there the more I give them on top of the 200. I see it as I need a service they provide it.

Cecily
02-18-2015, 09:13 PM
I do 100p max. Usual tip is 75p.

GSZ
02-19-2015, 01:10 PM
My thoughts - sounds like a massive waste of energy with no way to verify the info entered is even accurate. If you're not satisfied with the plat you're making porting people, consider making a change to your plat farming strategy.

PDX0621
02-20-2015, 10:19 PM
I rarely tip less than 100p and usually I tip around 150p. If I ask for an obscure thing, evac from droga I offer 200 the faster they get there the more I give them on top of the 200. I see it as I need a service they provide it.

Can I be both of you guys personal chauffeur? :D

teija
02-21-2015, 12:01 AM
I tip 50pp for a port if there advertising, 100pp if i ask somoene to go out of there way, and 100pp for DL/EJAC

Sadre Spinegnawer
02-21-2015, 02:11 AM
Hi, I'm the guild leader of Uber Porters, a consortium of porters. Actually, I'm not really a "guild leader." I own an internet cafe in Seoul, and customers can earn free hours by playing one of my cafe's druids and making some plat. My cafe currently has ~250 druids on p99, but I am one of the smaller operations. Big Time Intrawebs, across the street, runs an entire guild -- THO or something like that -- on p99. They have over 800 accounts they run 24/7, but that cafe has three floors, and I suspect also supplies hookers and booze to top earners. I am happy for their success, not envious.

Anyway, to the point of the thread. It is very easy to establish log compilers across your cafe's accounts so that you can track donations, ports per hour, etc., so that you can extract your cut and/or calculate free hours on your cafe's computer stations.

We use Dell exclusively, btw! Dell is HIGHLY RECOMMEND for EVERQUEST WITH NVIDIA.

I hope this helps.

BlkCamel
02-21-2015, 02:23 AM
Hi, I'm the guild leader of Uber Porters, a consortium of porters. Actually, I'm not really a "guild leader." I own an internet cafe in Seoul, and customers can earn free hours by playing one of my cafe's druids and making some plat. My cafe currently has ~250 druids on p99, but I am one of the smaller operations.

God damnit! Why didn't I think of this, such boss!

Pownd
02-21-2015, 07:41 PM
Can I be both of you guys personal chauffeur? :D

Think you ported me last night. Can't remember was pretty wasted after sky raid.

Aviann
02-21-2015, 08:03 PM

Ditto, and buffs.

Ravager
02-21-2015, 08:21 PM
If I have a sapphire or ruby on me, I pay with that, otherwise it's 100pp. If I don't have 100pp on me to pay for a port, then I just run to wherever I'm going.

Waedawen
02-21-2015, 08:32 PM
Higher level characters pay more

Don't help anyone in TMO because they are notoriously cheap mother fuckers.

The best strat, like Filbus said, is to just say "hey I'm paying X for a port to Y" where if x > 50p you're in good shape

Cecily
02-21-2015, 08:37 PM
I take back everything I said about BDA. Continue oppressing this one.

wycca
02-21-2015, 08:48 PM
I'm generally poor, but usual starting port tip is 50p. Depending on nature of the port, time of day, and urgency, I may up it. The vast majority are 50-75p. If it looks like a poor main and I have 100p I'll tip that. I don't generally ask for a port to DL&evac, but when I do, its pretty much a standard 200p.

PDX0621
02-22-2015, 01:44 AM
Think you ported me last night. Can't remember was pretty wasted after sky raid.

I did, and you tipped well! There was even an in flight snack provided.

Pownd
02-22-2015, 02:22 AM
I did, and you tipped well! There was even an in flight snack provided.

Ya you are on top of my list whenever I'm on and need a port. The snacks made it well worth the extra plat!!

+1 to Bhears ports

MaksimMazor
02-22-2015, 02:27 AM
15-25p

Kevris
02-23-2015, 02:02 AM
TMO Tipped good 90% of the time (50pp+). The most outrageous tip I ever got was from a TMO member-guy handed me a staff of battle.

BDA Tipped good 80% of the time (50pp+)

Taken was closer to 60%, with the usual tips from their members in the 20-30pp range.

IB tipped poorly in my experience, with the average tip at 20pp.

My druid does not wear GEB's, too.

-McPorty Express <Dial-A-Port>

staypuffed
05-23-2015, 04:01 AM
How does this work?

PDX0621
05-23-2015, 07:46 PM
How does this work?

What exactly are you referring to?

Secrets
05-23-2015, 08:00 PM
I always tip within 10 increments of my level.
1-20, I tip 10p.
20-30 I tip 20p
30-40 I tip 30p
40-50 I tip 40p
50-60 I tip 50p.
60 I tip 60p.
It's the way to go imho.

nyclin
05-23-2015, 08:09 PM
50-100p depending on where I want to go, e.g. EJ evac with pickup in EC would be 100, port to WC from a ring would be 50

If the person porting me is badly geared and/or an obvious newbie to the server, tips have been known to be much higher

Dirtynads
05-23-2015, 09:10 PM

Some of the lads have done a few projects like this in the past will see if I can dig some up.

One thing we preach is to not use the word "Donation" in their porting msg as we offer a service, at the same time we also tell our members you will do better off jsut taking what people give you rather then setting a certain amount for ports. Porting is an up and down game you win some and lose some in the end it all works out.

Seltius
05-23-2015, 10:14 PM
I tipped well past few days while doing my epic. This was because the porters were really helping me out and in a couple cases they included multiple stops or coming back to get me a couple times. I tip what I can and like irl if I really like the service or they go that extra mile I give them extra. But its all up to the person requesting the service on what they feel it is worth. In the end if they only feel its worth 20pp then you really cant get upset you just make it up later from someone else.

Freakish
05-24-2015, 01:07 AM
I always tip within 10 increments of my level.
1-20, I tip 10p.
20-30 I tip 20p
30-40 I tip 30p
40-50 I tip 40p
50-60 I tip 50p.
60 I tip 60p.
It's the way to go imho.

At level 20, do you tip 10pp or 20pp?

Secrets
05-24-2015, 01:12 AM
At level 20, do you tip 10pp or 20pp?

Normally 20pp. Lately i've been doing rounding as if 15 level was 1.5, and round that up to 20p.

I tend to tip higher when exiting a level range.

Baler
05-24-2015, 02:04 AM
I tip 10pp regardless of the circumstances. That's 10 more pp then they had before they ported me. If the person is taking me multiple stops I tip 25-50pp depending on how I feel and how they act. The porter is taking no risk and only uses mana / a short amount of time.

porters shouldn't expect to be paid anything. If you are a porter and you do expect to be paid, list a price or say you're porting for donations. Be thankful there are veteran players who spree and give you a payday rather then being sad or angry that not everyone forks over their plat for your mana/short amount of time.

Calling someone cheap because they don't pay a lot is self entitlement if you don't say you're porting for a set price. Druid is the most played class on the server, It's not hard to find a port. Why should I be called names when I can find 100+ other players to replace them? (during peak)

fishingme
05-24-2015, 03:24 AM
Highest I've paid for a port was 3k, was really stoned and really wanted to go to gfay. Normally tip 200 for ports into kunark, evacs are 300+ depending upon the availability of a porter, classic zones are 100 and under but never below 50.

edit: Did an epic thing once which required me to have a porter for like six ports, paid him 5k for 2 hours of random messaging

webrunner5
05-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Why the OP is complaining and even started the thread is beyond me. A Porter, Druid especially, makes 20 times more in a year than say a Cleric, or Chanter grouping all the time.

Hell l have have made embarrassing scary money Porting, PLing on my Druid that when I play my other classes I NEVER loot and pass on a ton of rolls, Unless it is a Fungi, CoF lol, because I know the others are poor as shit compared to what I have made..

Every porter has a Shit List for people that stiffed them paying nothing, not even saying thanks on top of that. But I have been given items worth 3k, 4k for ports also. It evens out over the long run for sure. OP is Crazy if he thinks he is being screwed being a Porter. :eek::eek:

gildor
05-24-2015, 11:23 AM
I don't even care if I get tipped honestly, I don't expect or require for any run etc..people who have, will give, those who do not won't..anyone in between has to live with their own conscience.

Last night I was tipped such things as gems, ring of goblin lords, etc..I like getting trinkets..adds some variety to it! It is fun..

And I always provide in flight sustenance - Trolls, Ogres, Iksars get Rabbit or Chunk of Meat and all others get Berries or Veggies.

Its a fun mini game within the game to be a taxi, make the most of it, don't just expect 100s of pp per port or disappointed you will be.

Tyrrion
05-24-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm a poor noob trying to make money smithing Banded armor. I don't port often, when I do its usually so I can move my shop from Gfay to EC if I'm not making sales for the day. In those siuations, I tip about 15-20pp as, while I can't afford more due to my profit margins, I understand the porter is supporting my business so they deserve what basically amounts to half my profits.

Alanus
05-25-2015, 10:31 AM
I never request donations or anything. Usually end up getting a nice tip (40-70pp). Best I ever got was 2 rubies for an evac to EJ. Other than when porting for CR, I think I got "stiffed" once.

I only port if I am bored or leaving the zone. Had people threaten me with various things if I was too busy exping to port them. For example, I used to exp in Dreadlands, and I would med inside Karnors when I was OOM (since it is safer than dreadlands). One guy asked for a port since "I was just sitting there". I said nope, sorry, I was medding. He said I was obviously lying and that he would never res me on his cleric.

You can make a good amount if you are porting from certain locations, though ;)

Juneau
05-25-2015, 07:49 PM
I've ported a ton of people and tips are hit or miss.
Sometimes i get 100p for a simple Gfay to EC port, other times i get 10p for a port to DL then a run to KC and an evac to ej.

All in all.. people get where they need to go and i come out with some money in my pocket.

Zankul - Dial a Port

Clark
05-25-2015, 07:59 PM

Vorkon
05-25-2015, 08:19 PM
I'm not flossed out with cash by anymeans, I think between my char and my bank I have maybe 500p total, as I am still in gear up mode after playing for about 2 month.

Guys who I message and drop everything to port me I generally pay in the 100-200 range. Standard port messages I see in ooc or nearby get 50-75 depending on where they going.

Ive had some bad experiences and some great experiences with some people. A 75pp tip from WC to DL seemed to upset the Wizard who ported me and asked that I never use his services again. While the occasional 50pp tip gets me all sorts of awesome thanks messages. I do gems when I'm out of plat.

I don't use Bhear for ports because he uses Luclin models. /wink

PDX0621
05-25-2015, 09:32 PM
While the occasional 50pp tip gets me all sorts of awesome thanks messages. I do gems when I'm out of plat.

That's really quite a shame, since any donation of 50pp or greater allows customers exclusive access to my "High Rollers VIP" in flight snack menu, provided exclusively by Nomsanto Industries (TM).

Think about it...

:D

Juneau
05-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Ive had some bad experiences and some great experiences with some people. A 75pp tip from WC to DL seemed to upset the Wizard who ported me and asked that I never use his services again.

whaaaat? fuck that guy. 75p for a port to DL is over the average imo!
Was he in dial a port?

Vorkon
05-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Nah Me and my Dial-a-port Homies are good. I think I've only had one poor interaction with them over a ton of ports and it was more of a communication issue then donate issue. Dial-a-port dudes have been hooking me up with free cr ports and when I was low level ports for like 10-15pp. I wouldnt want to cross them, they unionize and its game over for the porting economy.

This was just some random jabroni.

Nynian
05-25-2015, 10:00 PM
For those of us who just started, even 5pp is huge. I take the boat for now. =)

Seltius
05-25-2015, 10:06 PM
I would just like to say thank you Dial a Port without you and a couple friends I wouldn't have my Swiftwind right now.

Sorn
05-25-2015, 11:41 PM
I avoid ports on my cleric, but last time I needed one, I could only tip 15pp due to having only 60 some odd plat in the bank. That char is only 21 though.

Cecily
05-26-2015, 12:29 AM
If you can't tip me 30p+, I cancel trade and port anyway. I learned a long time ago that porting people is bad money and mostly do it to help people out. A good tip is always appreciated though. What really pisses me off is when I tip decently and don't even get a thank you from my porter. Please pretend like you appreciate it if you take their money, porters. Basic customer service.

Tankdan
05-26-2015, 12:42 AM
The rich don't get richer by giving their money away

40-50pp is about right

Cecily
05-26-2015, 12:50 AM
That's low for a high end raider, but borderline acceptable.

Troxx
05-26-2015, 01:31 AM
I always view a port as money well spent. If A to B takes me 30-45 minutes on foot I make sure I make it worth at least close to 30-45 minutes of my time. There aren't many A to B routes that take this long unless crossing oot.

Amount I donate fluctuates depending on how much cash I have on hand and in the bank. If I'm sitting at more than 3k (I'm poor lol) I think the most I donated for a random port was 150p, average 50+ still if I'm stretched for cash.

If I'm in a weird place requesting a pickup and port to a random place I've donated as much as 200-300.

But I'm poor :)

For ejacs I find it more productive to hammer to OT and run to KC and find a Druid etc who's in the process of doing ejacs. If I'm not having them escort me from wherever to DL and then to KC for ejac, I don't mind just paying them 50p for the evac alone.

Lower levels get dicey. If you're not a bankrolled twink, getting even 5-10p for a cheap port can strain your bank. These days I try to make sure my alts have at least enough cash for a respectable donation to a location or two I know I will be visiting in the early levels and then minimize the traveling I do.

Drona
05-26-2015, 02:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5ODhIFawfs

Jaleth
05-26-2015, 05:25 PM

Wow I'm a wizard and I am going to have Bhear port me around because he DOES use Luclin models! Huzzah!! :)

PDX0621
05-26-2015, 08:39 PM
Wow I'm a wizard and I am going to have Bhear port me around because he DOES use Luclin models! Huzzah!! :)

The Few. The Proud. The Luclin model users.

curtischoy
05-27-2015, 02:27 PM
people that are telling "horror stories" about someone w/ CoF etc. not tipping or giving a very low tip, do you inspect every person that you port? How did you know they had a CoF?

Champion_Standing
05-27-2015, 03:00 PM
people that are telling "horror stories" about someone w/ CoF etc. not tipping or giving a very low tip, do you inspect every person that you port? How did you know they had a CoF?

I inspect every person I port and determine the cost based at 10% of the value of all of their gear. Epic mq costs included. Payment up front, newbies who can't pay get a free port to toxx

B4EQWASCOOL
05-27-2015, 03:11 PM
I inspect every person I port and determine the cost based at 10% of the value of all of their gear. Epic mq costs included. Payment up front, newbies who can't pay get a free port to toxx

Perfect! My new SOP.

Whirled
05-27-2015, 03:15 PM
U could do /AFK my portz R 500plat mofo or gtfo!
or just port ppl for free like everyone else... nbd

Triangle
05-27-2015, 05:20 PM
i find it odd that people expect ports free. Ports are worth a lot because of the time and effort they save you. for a mere 50pp you can save 20-60 minutes of your time. That is money well spent. dont have enough money to pay for a port? You can walk anywhere you can port to

This is coming from someone who has never played a porting class.

Troxx
05-27-2015, 05:35 PM
i find it odd that people expect ports free. Ports are worth a lot because of the time and effort they save you. for a mere 50pp you can save 20-60 minutes of your time. That is money well spent. dont have enough money to pay for a port? You can walk anywhere you can port to

This is coming from someone who has never played a porting class.

The devils advocate side: how long does it take the porter to regenerate that mana without buffs? A minute? Two minutes? Even donations as small as 10p add up to 600pp an hour of the time you lost porting people around ... and that's assuming you only get 10p donations. For a druid or wizard 29-40s that's a lot better money than they could make otherwise. Point is ... appreciate what you get. Most porters who work the high traffic areas (EC, OT, or always being available) will make a lot more money than that an hour. Farming seafuries for cash at best you're looking at 800-1k an hour in your 50s ... average closer to 500 an hour or less if there's much competition on the island.

Imo for non-twink lowbies ... anything you can afford is acceptable. Until recently we didn't have a lot of true blue p99 new guys at any given point in time. When i was brand new last year I needed a ride from Gfay to the commonlands (mostly to see the EC/WC zones that you can't find on live anymore to relive the nostalgia). At level 4 there was a random wizard about to port out and I asked if i could join him. I offered him something like 1p 4g (literally all i had on me other than my cloth armor). He smiled and turned down my donation.

Having said that ... any twinked out alt #27391 or character in their high 40s up to level 60 shouldn't be a dick and low-ball their porters.

I keep a minimum of 50p as well as a stack of peridots on me at all times to make sure that if I find myself out and about and need/want a port, I've got enough change on me to make it more than worth their while.

Vorkon
05-27-2015, 05:39 PM
I think it comes down to the fact some guys are 'Porting for donations' then getting upset at whatever they are given as not enough or you can afford more, as others have mentioned if someone was advertising 'Ports to anywhere 50pp' everyone would be on the same page as to what the expected cost is.

suppresso
05-27-2015, 06:18 PM
If there is a required "donation amount" it is no longer a donation and is a fee.

Erica
05-27-2015, 06:35 PM
I don't port too often but when I do I have been adding them to a spreadsheet. Their name, current location when asking for the port, current location at the time of the port, my location when they asked, and the amount they gave. I do this to determine the distance we each traveled to make the port happen and put down a travel time rating. 0 if they were next to me, 1 if I had to port to a spire where they are, 2 if I had to port then run for a couple minutes, etc.

I don't really have a specific reason for it yet, just collecting data :P I also think there is a big difference in someone only handing me 10 or 20p after I spent 20 minutes getting to them, and 10 or 20p when someone joins a port I'm already making or when I was already next to them when they asked at a spire. Convenience of the person doing a service for you should always be considered. You don't need to hand me 100p if I was already standing next to you. But you had me go from EC to City of Mist, then 100+ would be nice. ;)

But you can just do something similar to that. Then with the magic of excel formulas you can find out your total plat earned from ports, average per port, average plat with distance considered (and level if you track it... but if they are /role or /anon are you going to ask their level every time?), etc and they keep updating with every new entry.

Troxx
05-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Oh hell ... If someone is asking you to run to an obscure location to get them and port them, unless the porter was a close friend or a guildmate I'd call the portee a dick if they fork over less than 100.

The CoM pickup scenario should also involve a complimentary reach around.

Port to DL run to KC evac to EJ run to CoM ....

That's a bigger pita than your standard coordinated ejac which usually fetches 100-200.

Cecily
05-27-2015, 07:02 PM
The devils advocate side: how long does it take the porter to regenerate that mana without buffs? A minute? Two minutes? Even donations as small as 10p add up to 600pp an hour of the time you lost porting people around ... and that's assuming you only get 10p donations.

at level 60? Lets say 20 mana a tick. That's going to be better than most porters.

10p x 60 ports = 600p

60 ports x 340 mana = 20,400 mana from ports and sows. Not counting pickup ports.

20400 / 20 = 1020 ticks / 10 = 102 mins worth of mana.

1 hours 42 mins for 600p.

That's assuming you can find 60 customers of course. Not all of them are gonna be cheap skates, but you're not doing 30 ports an hour either.
Porting isn't good money and bless the people who do it.