PDA

View Full Version : My p99 vs other mmorpg analogy

86753o9
02-17-2015, 02:41 AM
What you get with classic EQ
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFPn35Z-ZMobsn0qBC8G-gXqO57e2lC6EXSQU-2z7Ln6lnZqk5XQ

What you get with other brands
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/james-may-lego-house.jpg

Seredoc
02-17-2015, 04:46 AM
What you get with minecraft

FTFY

maskedmelon
02-17-2015, 10:04 AM
This is a fantastic analogy. Classic really did allow players an unmatched level of freedom despite the limited design. Some newer games have added lots of variety in different areas, but generally force you down one path.

loramin
02-17-2015, 01:23 PM
I feel like other games (eg. Minecraft, Star Wars Galaxies) were much more like Legos. I think Classic EverQuest is more like Lincoln Logs: fewer options, but it still allows for worlds of creativity.

... although analogies can only take you so far: I bet most people here loved Legos more than Lincoln Logs, even though they prefer Classic EQ over Classic Star Wars Galaxies.

indiscriminate_hater
02-17-2015, 02:14 PM
UO was the factory that makes Legos

Bazia
02-17-2015, 02:16 PM
EQ is extremely linear and offers little to do other than kill monsters

skipdog
02-17-2015, 02:27 PM
This post makes no sense to me.

The only 'freedom' you have in this game, is in the location you choose to kill things over and over.

That is pretty much it. It is a big part of the game, but pretending that classic EQ is some sort of creative sandbox is a joke.

dillweed
02-17-2015, 02:34 PM

And on occasion poop in a sock or two.

loramin
02-17-2015, 02:36 PM
This post makes no sense to me.

The only 'freedom' you have in this game, is in the location you choose to kill things over and over.

That is pretty much it. It is a big part of the game, but pretending that classic EQ is some sort of creative sandbox is a joke.

You forget about quests, tradeskills, in-game weddings and other social gatherings, playing merchant, etc.

Classic EQ might not be a sandbox, but it's not Quake either. For proof, look no further than Green Grocer!

Sage Truthbearer
02-17-2015, 02:52 PM
EQ came at a time when the gaming industry was making MMOs that were designed to have no real objective except grinding. The monetization was based on building a large community that would play the game for a long time and pay via monthly subscriptions. This is, of course, completely out of style now and will probably never be made on the same scale again.

PVP Cleric
02-17-2015, 03:04 PM

What about race, class, partners, gear, and methods?

Original analogy is pretty apt, imo. Modern MMOs let you pick a race, class, location, and partners. But you generally have fewer choices and/or your choices have a smaller impact on the gameplay itself than on p99.

Ziggy
02-17-2015, 03:20 PM
What about race, class, partners, gear, and methods?

Original analogy is pretty apt, imo. Modern MMOs let you pick a race, class, location, and partners. But you generally have fewer choices and/or your choices have a smaller impact on the gameplay itself than on p99.

you should probably rethink your analogy, as modern MMOs have many many more choices that effect game play much much more.(hello, talent points? tradeskills that actually do something?)

sox7d
02-17-2015, 04:36 PM
Everquest is like a 17th century sailing vessel. Everyone has a job to do, even if it's somewhat routine and uneventful, but as long as everyone does their role, everyone steadily makes their way towards the goal together. Sometimes things get hairy/stormy and people need to be on top of their shit. Sometimes there are major setbacks. Sometimes you literally get lost. It's definitely not the most glamorous activity, but it's rewarding and prestigious once you've made it.

Other MMORPGs are like a white-collar cubical job. Just a bunch of people doing a comfy, repetitive task together alone for something ultimately forgettable.

maskedmelon
02-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Everquest is like a 17th century sailing vessel. Everyone has a job to do, even if it's somewhat routine and uneventful, but as long as everyone does their role, everyone steadily makes their way towards the goal together. Sometimes things get hairy/stormy and people need to be on top of their shit. Sometimes there are major setbacks. Sometimes you literally get lost. It's definitely not the most glamorous activity, but it's rewarding and prestigious once you've made it.

Other MMORPGs are like a white-collar cubical job. Just a bunch of people doing a comfy, repetitive task together alone for something ultimately forgettable.

I like this analogy ^^

iruinedyourday
02-17-2015, 05:22 PM
my take from the analogy is that EQ gives you all thist stuff and is like GOOD FUCKN LUCK!

where as other mmo's are like, here is your nice little castle, dont do anything on your own.

Pint
02-17-2015, 05:29 PM
damn lincoln logs vs legos pretty hard choice, going to have to side with lincoln logs though.

applesauce25r624
02-18-2015, 05:12 AM
Ultima Online or what ?

Duckwalk
02-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Modern MMO: EQ (Ultima) :: going to a Theme Park : playing in neighborhood

sox7d
02-18-2015, 08:02 PM

watching TV : playing in a neighborhood

theme parks are awesome

Nirgon
02-18-2015, 09:48 PM
"Hey man we're playing WoW again you should play with us"

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFHAHEHEHEHEH

Sadre Spinegnawer
02-18-2015, 10:02 PM

My condolences on your lack of imagination.

And to add some more insult, this is why we get the games we do. The industry knows, most gamers wouldn't know a sandbox if it were placed in the middle of their living rooms. They would not know what to do if a game did not give them maps, clearly marked zone progressions, fixed quest sequences, and locked-in char development tracks.

Or, as you put it, a game that is "extremely linear and offers little to do other than kill monsters."

Everyone bitches about how mmo's have turned into basically 3d sidescrollers, but how many approach gaming in a way that would move things in a different direction? The answer is none. None players.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/59343826.jpg

Clark
02-19-2015, 02:21 AM
What you get with classic EQ
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFPn35Z-ZMobsn0qBC8G-gXqO57e2lC6EXSQU-2z7Ln6lnZqk5XQ

What you get with other brands
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/james-may-lego-house.jpg

:D

Mentathiel
02-19-2015, 10:41 AM
I believe the issue is what we designers call 'conveyor-belt gameplay' or that tendency for games to give you quest A which leads to quest B which leads to quest C and you effectively have a choice maybe once every ten levels regarding the next conveyor-belt to jump on.

Modern players (the mass market) like to know what they are doing next. Give them a choice between A and B, two dialogue options in a conversation they cannot easily avoid having, and they feel comfortable / confident. Give them a sandbox and they will run to a wiki to find out what to do next, to see what someone else thinks they should do next.

The epitome of this trend is the Let's Play video, where you watch someone else play the game so you don't have to.

Publisher wisdom says that when 90% of your market want to be led by the hand, the other 10% (which include the P1999 players) are the anomaly to be ignored. Experienced designers just point to Star Wars Galaxies, which died when it tried catering to the mass market...

Nuggie
02-19-2015, 11:23 AM

Walking The Strip in Vegas : walking The Oregon Trail

The Strip is fun for about an hour. The Oregon Trail keeps trying to kill you for about a year.

Duckwalk
02-19-2015, 12:14 PM
watching TV : playing in a neighborhood

theme parks are awesome

My point was that WoW and other modern MMO are based around moving from attraction to attraction. EQ was much more a world you explored and created your own adventures in (a la kids playing in neighborhood).

Can't tell you how much time I've spent exploring random nooks and corners of EQ that literally serve not purpose or exping for hours on end in some random room in the bottom of a dungeon or back of a zone.

Portasaurus
02-19-2015, 01:41 PM
I know of a handful of almost totally undiscovered secrets on this server, and nobody knows what else might still be hidden out there waiting to be discovered. My play time these days when I'm not running my shop consists of about 95% aimless wandering and 5% corpse runs.

The fact that p99 is a custom server of sorts (still some non-classic stuff that gets discovered/patched every once in a while) opens up these possibilities even more. I still have an Arctic Scallop from when it was in the forage table somewhere early-on in p99's history. I have been clutching onto that thing like it's my eq security blanket.

Typically, only players who take the time to deeply explore the world on their own come across these things. As Duckwalk perfectly put it.. you need to explore these "random nooks and corners of EQ." Sure, usually it's just for fun/lore/imagination, but every once in a while you come across a vendor with something really cool or rare, or you see an NPC with an interesting and seemingly unfinished series of dialogue.

For example: the "Ice Cream is Good (http://wiki.project1999.com/Ice_Cream_is_Good_-_Part_1)" books, and the "Generic Coffee Beans (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=31442)"

I wanna know what the hell those do! It's as if the EQ developers put these items into the game to tempt us, but I really don't think there is any way to actually MAKE coffee or ice cream in classic EQ. That makes me sad, but also at the same time it inspires me with hope that some day I might discover some undocumented "long lost recipe" or something...

...And don't get me started on "Ogre Marinade (http://mboards.eqtraders.com/eq/showthread.php?12069-Trying-to-find-Ogre-Marinade)"

Gotta keep that dream alive!

stormlord
02-20-2015, 02:15 PM
(deleted post)

Look, if you like something, play it. If you don't, don't. That's what it boils down to. If someoen thinks EQ has a lot of freedom then all the power to them. Enjoy it! If they don't agree, their opinion is just as good. It's not like any lives are on the line here. It's a game. If someoen likes pickled mustard ice cream, I don't care.

stormlord
02-20-2015, 02:58 PM
I believe the issue is what we designers call 'conveyor-belt gameplay' or that tendency for games to give you quest A which leads to quest B which leads to quest C and you effectively have a choice maybe once every ten levels regarding the next conveyor-belt to jump on.

Modern players (the mass market) like to know what they are doing next. Give them a choice between A and B, two dialogue options in a conversation they cannot easily avoid having, and they feel comfortable / confident. Give them a sandbox and they will run to a wiki to find out what to do next, to see what someone else thinks they should do next.

The epitome of this trend is the Let's Play video, where you watch someone else play the game so you don't have to.

Publisher wisdom says that when 90% of your market want to be led by the hand, the other 10% (which include the P1999 players) are the anomaly to be ignored. Experienced designers just point to Star Wars Galaxies, which died when it tried catering to the mass market...
You know even non-linear games have to lead hte player by hte hand somewhat. Even the EQ designers had to say "Hey guys, we probably shouldn't have too many high level mobs roaming the Qeynos Hills." They also had to decline things like "Gee, you think maybe we should put more cinvis mobs in Blackburrow and add a few more invisible floors to the top, just like that one at the tree? Wuldn't it be fun to see some of those noobs falling into into the commander room??!!! Hhahahahaha!!!!" Or how about "Guys, I think we should not have any creatures outside hte Qeynos gates because it doesn't make sense to me. I don't think Kane Bayle mucked things up enough. The guards should've cleared it out. Only thing spawning should be grass. If the new players wnat somethign to kill they'll just have to go on over to the hills."

The list of things the EQ designers had to consider goes on and on. It's not like they wanted to throw the player into the world without any hand holds. Ya, it appears like that in hindsight because of the changes since then, but in 1999, what was thought players could cope with was a good bit more loose.

Every game, non-linear or not, has to have an amount of the invisible hand.

EDIT: Your comment about SWG confuses me. SWG was really an offshoot of UO, since Raph was a big part of both and WoW hadn't happened yet. SWG was far from casual. It was released in 2003, just 2 years before WoW exploded onto the market. SWG was spending most of its time catching up, but it was too late.

So in my mind SWG died because it wasn't casual enough early on. It had all the inertia brought on by cumulative expectations. The New Game enhancements weren't near enough, but already much too far. SWG just had too much in its bag and watched as WoW raced past and disappeared into the horizon.

applesauce25r624
02-20-2015, 03:36 PM
So in my mind SWG died because it wasn't casual enough early on. It had all the inertia brought on by cumulative expectations. The New Game enhancements weren't near enough, but already much too far. SWG just had too much in its bag and watched as WoW raced past and disappeared into the horizon.

i remember it being a pain in the ass to become a jedi on SWG. something like becoming "force sensitive" randomly while maxxing out a skill. my friend maxxed out all skills (tons of real played time + macroing) on one toon and it never became a jedi. that caused him to quit and caused me to not want to play it

this became one of those games where first impressions set the tone for the rest of the game's life

stormlord
02-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Hey, this is classic EQ for you:
http://www.keenandgraev.com/2013/06/25/myeqstory#comment-344868

It's a link to a specific comment so no need to scroll.

skitterburst
02-20-2015, 03:41 PM
i agree with this, to a certain extent. you seem to have the vision of the game right, but unfortunately EQ will not be able to stand up for long due to technical limitations.

sure there is customization, but the levels by which a player can customize their gaming experince are limited at best. although the nonlinear world mixed with the ability to make grievous mistakes is very different from (all) games out here, unfortunately EQ is still just a vintage throwback.

it would be nice if someone would make a modern recreation of our favorite pasttime, but we all know thats not gona happen. even if it did, would it be as fun?

tl;dr - the only reason EQ is such fun is because there are no good alernatives.

EDIT: looks like i got off subject here. that first picture seems misleading as it makes me think of a sandbox filled with legos, whch is not a vey accurate description of this game.e

indiscriminate_hater
02-20-2015, 04:16 PM
Walking The Strip in Vegas : walking The Oregon Trail

The Strip is fun for about an hour. The Oregon Trail keeps trying to kill you for about a year.

damnit, that's a good analogy

Vexenu
02-20-2015, 04:41 PM
At this point in the game's life it's very easy to forget how overwhelmingly hostile and mysterious Everquest was when it first came out. This is a game that literally just drops you in a city with no more instructions than a note in your inventory to hand to your guildmaster (and good luck finding them). There's no quest chain to start. You are not some hero who will save the kingdom. You're a total nobody, without even a piece of cloth armor or a bag to your name. The monsters you encounter quickly become prohibitively difficult to kill solo (remember you are completely untwinked with almost zero game knowledge and experience) so you are forced to band together with other players to stand a chance at progressing. Death is common and punished harshly. Corpses are routinely lost since you often have no idea where the hell you even are, since there are no maps in the game. Even the starting zones right outside the cities were terrifying, especially at night, with players often hesitant to venture off marked paths for fear of losing way, or worse, losing their corpse. And then you start to hear rumors of underground dungeons, maze-like and filled with monsters and magical items. It was completely normal back in the day for regular players (meaning not like a two-hours a week casual) to spend months on the game and still not progress beyond level 30. Being an Everquest newbie is really a once in a lifetime gaming experience, and that's mostly due to the fact that the game just drops you in the middle of this hostile sandbox world and says, "Ok, go."