PDA

View Full Version : Could The Hole become a popular grouping spot?

sox7d
02-13-2015, 09:46 PM
KC is crowded, you think it could ever be possible for the hole to become a populated late 40s-mid 50s leveling spot if it got enough traction?

zanderklocke
02-13-2015, 09:58 PM
I wish but the zone actually takes skill and plays out like a video game since you have to crawl through the zone. The player base here is too lazy to actually go places that have some challenge and would rather have the path of least resistance.

mr_jon3s
02-13-2015, 10:08 PM
Don't bring attention to the hole. Only a handful of peoplle go and its a great spot.

Doil_Boil
02-13-2015, 10:08 PM
If we had a live-level population, sure!

Cecily
02-13-2015, 11:39 PM
We're kinda close to that pop. It's got evil and good towns in close proximity to the dungeon and it's better exp than KC. Better potential loot, to an extent. It's slightly harder than KC while still being safer than Seb or HS. I think pushing for a move to the Hole would be a really good move for our legitimately leveling population. The real players, not the Chardok ezmode fiends.

Bring a rogue. Bring a porter. Have fun crawling.

Lune
02-14-2015, 12:00 AM
but if the Hole is the new place I can't group with 3 paladins and 2 bards and grind out 3 blues of xp a day at lcy

Cyborgazm
02-14-2015, 12:25 AM
The Hole is great, but the fact that you may need a key if you're not a spell caster makes it a turn-off, I think.

Messie
02-14-2015, 12:35 AM
I would love to join you on any hole dungeon crawls. I've pulled a lot of the zone and explored it extensively. I don't know every area of the zone, but I know a good enough majority to have a night full of a deep dungeon crawl. So message me if you ever need a monk! I'll be down. :)

It's a great zone, good exp, decent loot, fun, and never packed. I support this idea!

Cecily
02-14-2015, 12:39 AM
The Hole is great, but the fact that you may need a key if you're not a spell caster makes it a turn-off, I think.

You have three options to enter the zone. Have a keyed character or a rogue to open the door. The last being having a DAed cleric jump down and have the rest of the group follow. Rez the dead and start much deeper. Having a porter to escape is a really good idea for emergencies and just in general making leaving less of a hassle. I'm sure many wizards and druids would appreciate having a chance to group for a change.

Actually four. I think small races and shrink pots will allow you to duck underneath the entry door.

BlkCamel
02-14-2015, 12:44 AM
You have three options to enter the zone. Have a keyed character or a rogue to open the door. The last being having a DAed cleric jump down and have the rest of the group follow. Rez the dead and start much deeper. Having a porter to escape is a really good idea for emergencies and just in general making leaving less of a hassle. I'm sure many wizards and druids would appreciate having a chance to group for a change.

Actually four. I think small races and shrink pots will allow you to duck underneath the entry door.

Does shrinking down and repeat sit/crouching into the spaces not work here? Worked on Live when I shrunk my Barb down.

Cecily
02-14-2015, 12:46 AM
Check my last edit at the bottom. I'm pretty sure it works, but I'm an elven rogue. Too big to squeeze through, and my picks work just fine. Never tried it.

Flexin
02-14-2015, 01:04 AM
The hole is one of the more common spots to level on Red with Seb/Kc usually contested.. That aside, the zone really isn't that difficult with a good puller, great money too.

Clark
02-14-2015, 01:52 AM
I've never been too fond of The Hole.

Tenlaar
02-14-2015, 01:54 AM
A bard can pick the rock as well.

BlkCamel
02-14-2015, 01:59 AM
Check my last edit at the bottom. I'm pretty sure it works, but I'm an elven rogue. Too big to squeeze through, and my picks work just fine. Never tried it.

Didn't notice edit, Gonna have to try it I guess.:D

Tenlaar
02-14-2015, 02:00 AM
Oh, you can also shadow step past the rock with a bit of patience.

DrKvothe
02-14-2015, 02:43 AM
To answer OP, KC has had a ridiculous pop for at least a year on this server, probably a lot longer. It's safe most evenings for a newbie to run around picking up rots because everything is engaged almost immediately upon spawn. Is the server pop bigger than it was a year ago?

People are going to group where they think is the "best" for a certain level range, even if that means sitting lfg for 30 minutes and then sharing spawns with 3 other groups, all sitting at full mana. Unrest, mistmoore, Lguk, CoM, KC.

GinnasP99
02-14-2015, 03:42 AM
My main problem with the hole is that the key isn't soulbound.

Pint
02-14-2015, 04:17 AM
The hole is a great zone but a Cr in the hole can be a real hassle for players who are leveling up and don't have a lot of resources, a Cr in KC takes 5 mins regardless of where you died in zone.

Toodles
02-15-2015, 06:29 AM
KC is crowded, you think it could ever be possible for the hole to become a populated late 40s-mid 50s leveling spot if it got enough traction?

Part of the reason it's alluring is that it isn't over populated. Also KC <> Old Paineel is quite the case of one extreme to the other. Maybe you should be comparing KC with CoM for that level range and population.

Specifically concerning 40-50, you have to think of the Hole in three level sections.
A) 40s entrance
B) 50-55 castle wing, undead village, waterfall
C) 55-60 undead tower

B and C also require people to be paying attention. AFK Clerics/Wizard/Mage and lazy Monks need not apply. And therefore we can always count on P99 to never to have over population in the Hole.

Swish
02-15-2015, 08:31 AM
If you want to reimmerse yourselves, don't level your alts to 60... keep a good range, wait for winter and re-explore Velious properly.

KC is terrible, especially if you're an LFG tank.

Ravager
02-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Probably my favorite end game zone because the crawl is so fun and the loot is pretty decent. Not the best drops compared to other dungeons, but quantity makes up for quality, plus there's still a couple upgrades for people there.

But if you're the sort who goes to KC sits down at the zone in and types /lfg, The Hole probably isn't for you.

Briscoe
02-15-2015, 12:03 PM
I've never been too fond of The Hole.

Why?

sivax
02-15-2015, 12:21 PM

My friend and I just spent 20 minutes making erudite alts with funny names and went and bought the key. Sat the guy next to the door and we just let each other in. Simple if you plan on going in a few times. Plus if your a small race yourself you can let your group in and go in after getting back on your main.

Tuljin
02-15-2015, 12:42 PM
I wish but the zone actually takes skill and plays out like a video game since you have to crawl through the zone. The player base here is too lazy to actually go places that have some challenge and would rather have the path of least resistance.

/end thread

The Hole is actually the easiest/fastest dungeon to get to (pretty much tied with HS if you have an OT hammer.) If you have a crew together you can be moving the XP bar within 15 minutes instead of the classic "yeah man, lets get a Seb group together" and you don't start to kill anything for (at least) an hour.

The zonein and dropoff is great for high 40s/low 50s xp with nice Loam drops and potential but rare goodies off the first Rock Golem. It is often open. Its an excellent grind spot.

The city is dangerous and the XP seems a bit slow mid 50s cause pulling lots of mobs isn't really the best idea there. If you get to the Dock you can set up a nice spot for some pulls and move the bar. Getting past the cleric that CHs through walls in the city is a challenge that will catch nubs off guard. Also a challenge is safely single pulling mobs on the way thru the city to the docks (Flux Staff FTW) The issue here is that compared to HS the XP is slow.

The undead tower is excellent XP and loots for high 50s and easy to get to if you drop in the hole. I jump in on Wizard and I never die, I duck before I land (everyone seems to have their own trick lol) Again, you are at the tower in 15 minutes after you get your port to Tox.

The two easiest and fastest zones to reach are also the least populous. Like many elements of P99, it doesn't make much sense. People can share all the secrets they want about the Hole but it will never blow up because you have to port there and it is dangerous (I.e. it is not LCY). HS is a bit more busy these days, but still has low population and it won't blow up because nub.

TL/DR - Hole is awesome and it greatly rewards the few who are brave and skilled enough to successfully navigate it. It will never be overcrowded because it keeps the riff-raff out by design.

Raghnar
02-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Hole Secrets:
1) Even melee can get out without a porter - It takes a good group (not great just good) to get to the teleport room.
2) Bring an enchanter that isn't afraid to charm. There are a couple named mobs that are rogues and backstab for 400+.
3) Bring a warrior that isn't afraid to pull. 8 mobs is not too many.
4) CRs are easy - A level 1 rogue that worhips Brell Serellis can make it all the way to the bottom of the Hole. Only rats and ghosts are aggro and they do not see through sneak/hide. With the right macro, you can drag the whole group up in one shot.

sox7d
02-15-2015, 07:02 PM
If you want to reimmerse yourselves, don't level your alts to 60... keep a good range, wait for winter and re-explore Velious properly.

KC is terrible, especially if you're an LFG tank.

I made this thread since my ranger hit 51 and actually have been saying I should probably just hang him up till velious so I don't waste my time being jaded when I could be having fun in winter wonderland.

harnold
02-15-2015, 07:12 PM
yeah, fuck all those lazy pieces of shit in KC! the reason nobody goes to the hole is because everyone else except me is lazy!!

sox7d
02-15-2015, 07:37 PM
yeah, fuck all those lazy pieces of shit in KC! the reason nobody goes to the hole is because everyone else except me is lazy!!

Your post history is incredibly toxic and snarky. I think you'd be a lot happier if you started acting nicer towards others.

Messie
02-15-2015, 07:47 PM
As a fan of The Hole, this thread is pretty great. Tuljin and Raghnar particularly had some great info on the zone I did not know. I'm thinking we should get this group going! I have quite a few friends who I already go to The Hole with regularly but we always seem to have a few spots open.

With that said, anyone who wishes to try to get a group together feel free to message me anytime !

Swish
02-15-2015, 07:54 PM
not sure if they're still going but I know Indignation were running fairly regular groups down there.

captnamazing
02-15-2015, 08:54 PM
I leveled a lot in the Hole.

HeallunRumblebelly
02-15-2015, 08:58 PM
ZEM in Hole is atrocious for how much hp mobs have. HS on the other hand is amazing and still abandoned.

Daldaen
02-15-2015, 09:02 PM
ZEM in Hole is atrocious for how much hp mobs have. HS on the other hand is amazing and still abandoned.

Dem Harmtouches hurt.

Really though, 45-55~, Kedge is the shit. Just too many people are afraid of the water.

radda
02-15-2015, 09:10 PM
56+ war lfg for Hole

Ravager
02-15-2015, 10:28 PM
Dem Harmtouches hurt.

Really though, 45-55~, Kedge is the shit. Just too many people are afraid of the water.

Kedge has the steepest learning curve of them all with easy spell interruptions and unpredictable pathing. But I had a really fun time there all of the 2 times I was able to group there.

DarkwingDuck
02-16-2015, 06:49 AM

I'll be there.. Yet only 36 at the moment,
I only like fun dungeon crawls, and try to stay away from the overused zones this time around (the mistmores,unrests and CoM)

-Blueskin

Waedawen
02-16-2015, 07:06 AM
The problem is simply that KC is right there and 'easy to get to.' No body is willing to adventure. No body is willing to form a group with 2-3 people and get something going. No body, when asked, is willing to help that one person form a group of 2-3 people and get something going. However, people are remarkably fickle when they think you can be a profit to them.

As a result, adventurers make all the money and fun and the KC rabble... is the KC rabble. Are you an adventurer or are you a part of the KC rabble? It's a question that shouldn't take thought to get an answer.

fadetree
02-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Wolf form should get you through the gate no matter who you are. Just stick your snout in the hole between the rocks at near the top right of the gate, look down and WIGGLE. Plus its good training should you ever get a gf.

evilkorn
02-16-2015, 12:01 PM
not sure if they're still going but I know Indignation were running fairly regular groups down there.

Shout outs to Moonlight, Indignation, Illuminati, and Kittens for exploring the Hole. I've seen other "R's" make groups there but in most afternoons those are the people really on the grind.

Even at 60 the undead can be pretty hard at times but the zone in worth it. I leveled my first character through the upper 50's and had a regular group for a week with the same people and had a blast. Then went to Seb to finish off 58+.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
02-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Wolf form should get you through the gate no matter who you are. Just stick your snout in the hole between the rocks at near the top right of the gate, look down and WIGGLE. Plus its good training should you ever get a gf.

Good post and the only one that I can see that addresses the small hole in the rock.

Everyone tries to go to the bottom left hole which APPEARS to be the one you can get through. It is actually the top right and is quite easy to get in.

Also, make a brell serelis Halfling rogue hole dragger with a funny name.

Most agnostic can get a hole key by having a necro cast ignite bones and buying the key while they have the temporary Ill:skele.

The highest rock golems can't be mezzed so focus golems on big pulls.

Capturers, deceivers, captivators (?) are rogues and are amazing charming creatures.

Nirgon
02-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Loam and withered leather are awesome

Hole gets lots of love on red

Great rogue npcs to charm as previously mentioned

sox7d
02-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Good post and the only one that I can see that addresses the small hole in the rock.

Everyone tries to go to the bottom left hole which APPEARS to be the one you can get through. It is actually the top right and is quite easy to get in.

Also, make a brell serelis Halfling rogue hole dragger with a funny name.

Most agnostic can get a hole key by having a necro cast ignite bones and buying the key while they have the temporary Ill:skele.

The highest rock golems can't be mezzed so focus golems on big pulls.

Capturers, deceivers, captivators (?) are rogues and are amazing charming creatures.

I got a key on my ranger without any problems by paying a newbie 30pp to let me in and to wait by the elevator while i just bought it with sneak.

Nirgon
02-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Manastone works in the hole too =)

Ketu Garyx
02-16-2015, 03:53 PM
I go to KC and steal LFG tanks for The Hole. We group there often and it is great.

Wiwi
02-16-2015, 04:19 PM
I've never been to the Hole. How well can a chanter solo near the zone in?

khanable
02-16-2015, 04:20 PM

Might be a bit of a pickle to split a mob out to charm

but otherwise I imagine you'll do okay

The hole is great, fun zone all around

Kender
02-16-2015, 04:42 PM
Might be a bit of a pickle to split a mob out to charm

but otherwise I imagine you'll do okay

The hole is great, fun zone all around

they're a chanter... lull and mez. wouldnt be all that hard

Wfrench1234
02-16-2015, 04:43 PM
Not sure if there are any golems at or around the entrance as its been 15 years, but the golems cannot be mezzed and are highly MR like spite golems in hate.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
02-16-2015, 04:43 PM

It's incredibly easy. Lull, charm, pull back, rinse, repeat.

sox7d
02-16-2015, 04:49 PM
I go to KC and steal LFG tanks for The Hole. We group there often and it is great.

Are you peter pan?