PDA

View Full Version : Least played class/race syndrome

Terdnado
02-08-2015, 05:30 PM
Just thought it was amusing how every week there's a new thread asking this question.
For the people that do intentionally pick these race/class combos, why for? Whatever you pick there will always be someone NOT playing the class you are playing. Why not just play what you enjoy? I'd rather invite someone back to group cause they were fun to be around rather than thinking they were a unique snowflake. Group of 6 monks or 6 shamans who cares.

tristantio
02-09-2015, 12:26 AM
Same reason we don't all dress identically.

Byrjun
02-09-2015, 12:39 AM
Erudite SKs are really cool.

username17
02-09-2015, 12:46 AM
Because it's fun? It's nice to play something other than A_Halfling_Rogue_01.
When making my Dwarven Pally I picked female instead of male because they're less common.
I get a lot of enjoyment out of people freaking out when they see a female dwarf with a beard. I've been told I should shave by a few people too.
My enchanter alt is in full chainmail with a sword so when I illusion up I look more like a poor ranger or warrior than an enchanter.

iruinedyourday
02-09-2015, 01:06 AM
maybe cus they want to write their own RP adventure

Daldaen
02-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Because that's what I rolled on live 15 years ago?

Half-Elf Druid, clearly best druid.

Laugher
02-09-2015, 10:49 AM
Half-Elf Druid, clearly best druid.

ftw

http://i.imgur.com/jomtpAR.jpg

Pullyn
02-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Sometimes it's fun to do things for shits and giggles. I rolled an Erudite Paladin for something different. Now it's lvl 51 and mostly a joke because of how worthless he is. That's really the only down side of rolling a shitty race/class combo.

Mentathiel
02-09-2015, 12:28 PM
I rolled an Erudite Paladin for something different. Now it's lvl 51 and mostly a joke because of how worthless he is. That's really the only down side of rolling a shitty race/class combo.
Am I missing something here? At that level, what makes an erudite any worse than a human paladin?

Bodybagger
02-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Sometimes it's fun to do things for shits and giggles. I rolled an Erudite Paladin for something different. Now it's lvl 51 and mostly a joke because of how worthless he is. That's really the only down side of rolling a shitty race/class combo.

he's just as shitty or good as any other pally... save for getting Shield of the Stalwart Seas... which is sweet.

Pullyn
02-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Am I missing something here? At that level, what makes an erudite any worse than a human paladin?

Really, Paladins are just terrible in general. I guess if you want to do a Paladin, Erudites arent exactly terrible as you have less faction work to do with the Deepwater Knights for the epic. Hail Prexus.

Danyelle
02-09-2015, 12:53 PM
Warrior - AnythingButOgre :(

Swish
02-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Honestly, what's the difference between a pally tank and a SK tank for trash clearing on raids?

Why so many paladins giving up?

myriverse
02-09-2015, 01:07 PM
Maintaining a paladin lifestyle should be difficult, no?

Sage Truthbearer
02-09-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm a High Elf, but I always thought Erudites make for awesome SKs and Paladins.. and look really cool.

kaev
02-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Honestly, what's the difference between a pally tank and a SK tank for trash clearing on raids?

Why so many paladins giving up?

p99 Hybrid LFG:
Bard? nevermind, I'll just solo (and quit the toon at 50 because I don't know how to group on it)
Ranger? :cricketschirping:
ShadowKnight? :cricketschirping:
Paladin? :cricketschirping:

Classic EQ Hybrid Soloing:
Bard? :godmode:
Ranger? :foreveralone:, but shit dies so meh
ShadowKnight? Fear+Snare passes the time waiting for a group
Paladin? solo? eh? what?

Tuljin
02-09-2015, 02:05 PM
I have two quite rare class/race combos and I didn't roll them solely for the reason of being rare.

I rolled Wizard initially as a supplement to a crew of RL friends that were going to level together. My friends weren't nubs so I had a much different experience than the stereotypical Netflix approach to Wiz life and played a good majority of the old-world dungeons etc. It was a lot of fun.

I ended up playing Warrior for a while as an alt and I said to myself one day "gee, I really miss my magical powers." I would get very quickly frustrated with depending solely on others for CC and heals. After thinking about it I rolled a Paladin because he can root and its not much different than my Wizard playstyle - the only difference is he can tank. You laugh at caster mobs and tagging/stunning/pulling/CC are pretty much the same, except swap Flux Staff for Bow and add Calms.

People quit Paladin because it really is rough and many people approach it with the wrong mindset. The XP is slow and you always need a group. You don't even get your first stun spell till 30, and you don't get a second stun until 49. I once wrote a treatise on why people choose SK over Paladin and it pretty much holds true. If you really want to make the most out of Paladin you really need to have a more caster-minded approach to playing (heals, CC, calms) while sticking to your tanking 101 rules of EQ rather than your classic meathead approach to playing a melee (hence why you hear every last person who goes from monk or warrior to Paladin say that they are "awful")

Paladins do shit damage, but that's not what they're about. Of course anybody is going to be disappointed when you've been vaporizing mobs on a twinked Monk and switch over to Pally DPS. Once you grow up, get DA and Superior Healing, and you can tank any dungeon in the game you really see that Paladin is actually bad ass. Its just a very long road =)

HeallunRumblebelly
02-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Obvious answer is Xadion's halfling paladin. Still salty GMs allow it to exist, rather than smiting it with divine power for classic reasons. I want a froglok if he gets a halfler paladin ~

Arteker
02-09-2015, 02:15 PM
Obvious answer is Xadion's halfling paladin. Still salty GMs allow it to exist, rather than smiting it with divine power for classic reasons. I want a froglok if he gets a halfler paladin ~

you want the skin of my lvl 10 gnome sk to bastard?.

Daldaen
02-09-2015, 02:18 PM
All gnome and halfling hybrids should be deleted from the server. I agree with Heallun.

HeallunRumblebelly
02-09-2015, 02:23 PM
you want the skin of my lvl 10 gnome sk to bastard?.

Oh, von. If only you spoke english :3