PDA

View Full Version : Velious: Mage or Necro?

RIP The Jacka
02-08-2015, 01:31 AM
Torn on what to play in velious, epic mage or necro?

Whats better for raiding?

Any Unique items? Holgresh beads come to mind.

Erydan Ouragan
02-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Definitely necro.

Why? Because i prefer necros.

But seriously:

For raids i suppose mages are going to be modrod bots, necros are going to be twitch bots.

Necros are more versatile in their options, imo. Can duo/trio more effectively, has CC, more tools to work with.

Mages are pretty good too, don't get me wrong. They're very effective in groups, when they're not constantly AFK and actually send their pets on the right mob.

So do whatever you want, but i'd go with necro.

pasi
02-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Active mages are vital to raiding and probably the hardest thing to find in Velious. If you play enough and know how to summon modrods, you will be one of the best players on the server.

Ziggy
02-08-2015, 01:24 PM
mages do better dps and CoH pretty much trumps anything necro brings to the table

Kushie
02-08-2015, 01:32 PM
CoH doesn't trump FD + Raid Rez saves.

RIP The Jacka
02-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Does CoH play a role in pulls in velious? I don't think so

Swish
02-08-2015, 02:48 PM
CoH doesn't trump FD + Raid Rez saves.

fiveeauxfour
02-08-2015, 04:52 PM
Epic pets melt faces

Dezik
02-08-2015, 06:49 PM
My vote is for Mage but only because I love the class. Obviously it has its weaknesses but the idea of a powerful Mage with the most powerful pet just seems cool to me. It is the class I will run in Velious.

Tasslehofp99
02-08-2015, 06:53 PM
They're both equally valuable in Velious raiding.

However, you're most likely just going to be a mana pump for the clerics either way.

Argh
02-08-2015, 07:40 PM
How you gonna get a mage epic though?

Dezik
02-08-2015, 08:00 PM
How you gonna get a mage epic though?

Easier with velious and the hate revamp

citizen1080
02-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Easier with velious and the hate revamp

Which prolly wont happen for 2 years AFTER the launch of velious.

RIP The Jacka
02-08-2015, 08:47 PM
I already have the epic.

Are there any unique items for the mage? or for both?

The beads for the necro being a pretty big deal bonus item.

Tankdan
02-08-2015, 11:39 PM
Necro twitches are superior to mod rod spamming. In tight CH rotations, its dangerous to be clicking mod rods with split seconds to spare, it can mess up your target+pretarget if you misclick. Whereas a necro can just go cleric to cleric twitching away. Almost every dragon/boss on beta is killable without mod rods, just necros suffice.

Does CoH play a role in pulls in velious? I don't think so
Very much so. Not to mention having mage bots at X Y Z location will make clearing trash unnecessary.

Danyelle
02-08-2015, 11:54 PM
Mage. Because Monster Summoning. The best spell to ever exist in EQ. Still mod rod vending machine and coth bot? yeah. But dat pet though. Spawn a griffin in EC and scare some noobs then feel bad and give them DS like a real man.

Dezik
02-10-2015, 01:17 AM
I totally missed monster summoning on live.. How did, or will, it work?

Danyelle
02-10-2015, 02:22 AM
Summon pet, selects a random mob race from the zone and makes the pet that. It does not share the mobs level/stats or name. Just appearance.

DarkwingDuck
02-10-2015, 03:30 AM
Unless you're in the top 2 or 3 heavy raiding guilds you're not going to see your Mage epic for a couple years.
Group wise I like my Mage .. Necro is beast mode too
Epic? - Mage ftw

DarkwingDuck
02-10-2015, 03:32 AM
I already have the epic.

How do you already have the epic? And just started? And already have the epic and not know the answer to your own question

Clark
02-10-2015, 03:39 AM
They're both equally valuable in Velious raiding.

However, you're most likely just going to be a mana pump for the clerics either way.

^

Also Swish love your signature!

Swish
02-10-2015, 09:28 AM
thanks pal, can't bring myself to change it <3

Ele
02-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Do you want to provide mana to clerics by dropping items on the ground or by targeting them?

Faywind
02-10-2015, 10:08 PM
How do you already have the epic? And just started? And already have the epic and not know the answer to your own question

This!

RIP The Jacka
02-11-2015, 11:16 AM
what does already having mage epic have to do with the question?

Daldaen
02-11-2015, 12:26 PM
what does already having mage epic have to do with the question?

The implication here is that a player with an epic'd mage should be long-term enough of a player on this server to know the answers to these questions. In short some are suggesting you bought your epic/character.

As mentioned several times previously. Mages and Necromancers feed clerics mana. Mages through summoning mod rods and dropping them. Necromancers through twitching.

Necros having Holgresh Elder Beads allows them to Lich and Lifetap DoT the eye to sustain Lich. Min-Max necros rolled Iksars. In Velious smart guilds will group all their Necromancers with a druid who has a regen BP. With group Regrowth necros only lose 5 HP a tick. With a Z-Heart they break even (rendering the Holgresh beads moot in a raid setting). If you group 4 necros, druid, bard and have bard doing regen song - again another great group setup in Velious for raids, beads are also moot.

They are more useful for pullers IMO. But in a solo setting it allows you to Lich and med without having to DoT mobs. Adding a VP Soul Well staff makes it even more efficient.

Beyond that there are no other legacy items worth getting for those classes that impact raid performance.

Magicians should expect to become very one sided. You may max out your dragon faction and them from then on you are a CotH and mod Rod bot on dragon raids where you aren't KoS. Never really using a pet or any detrimental spells. Though main Mages will have some purpose, you'll still want to maintain certain factions so you can be non-KoS to provide CotH support and Mod Rods.

fezzyfezz
02-11-2015, 12:51 PM
mages do better dps and CoH pretty much trumps anything necro brings to the table

mages do better dps?? /laughs
Coh trumps anything necros have? /laughs

Foggon
02-11-2015, 01:30 PM

I would very much like to know the answer to this mystery.

Stonecrush
02-11-2015, 01:50 PM
I already have the epic.

Not if eye of zomm still counts as a pet. If you charm a pet as a necro, or keep a pet up as a safety or finisher. The Zomm clicky vs just LTing/Leaching a mob? As an Iksar you can just click off lich and regen.

Maybe FD Pulling?

Now lets get down to brass tacks.

Mages + Necros are vital to raids. They both complement each other like Bonny and Clyde.

Necros get FD + Rez + (fuck night time) levant. Levant! yes I can stay grouped and goto the ZL and get your friends entering TOV for NTOV! We won't mention the eye warping trick... oops. That could deadly for the raid if Eyes are still KOS?

Raids using Mage pet dps without pet hold? Not likely needed. Reality Strikes again, most of the guilds raiding with consistent mages have 10+ Rogues, Rangers, Wizards and the ever popular Monks. All of which, don't go running off due to bad pathing, pre engage targets due to a pull AE. Etc.

If this was Luclin raiding in Vex Thall where 90% of the targets are Corner Tanked (AOW style). Then yes, Pets equal the push you want to slam the mob in the corner cause that Swayze pathing aint around to stop you.

Both classes definitely bring the a lot to the table. Both classes = a great way to play at a raid with minimal focus.

Max Focus?

Mage: Mod rod manage, Time DS, for lower raid dps forces then I guess having spam pet back off (still not recommended). COTH, Camping at safe points to help raid force pick up where they left off, Debuff (but shms do it better.)

Necros: Leach + Heal + top slot Dispell Pact effects, Twitch, FD eye pull, Debuff (unique) Scent Line, Rez 93%, Pet dps?, belly cast LT?

If you want to play the leet DPS then pick Rog, Wiz, Mnk... Maybe Rng.

Nec, and Mages are more utility then DPS on raids.

Solo aspect a Mage Cleric can be devastating. DS + Cheal...

Nec Shm
Mag Shm

RIP The Jacka
02-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the people that actually answered the question, I genuinely was curious on the PvE side of the discussion. Based on most of these replies, sounds like blue doesn't let people play what they want (implied by coth/mod bot with faction parked somewhere).

I'll most likely main the magician.

As for the shallow people that assume account creation date = time on server... lol no wonder you guys have a never ending dispute on who pressed attack first when raid mobs are governed by rotation.

Hadn't known those facts regarding the lich breaking even with heart+regen+iksar. My necro is an iksar, obviously. Beads may be moot in raid once able to break-even on lich hp loss, but it still serves a purpose and is a nice-to-have, esp on PvP server, to be able to summon an eye and bond it. Necros rarely have summoned pets up on red.

Safon
02-11-2015, 05:06 PM
My necro is an iksar, obviously

Fuck you

webrunner5
02-17-2015, 11:06 AM
In most of the guilds I was in on live Pets we not well liked on most of them. Too much of a agro threat to wipe the Raid.