PDA

View Full Version : Why do you play 1999 instead of EQ free?

dg_w
02-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Sorry, new player here, why do people play the 1999 server, when EQ free is available?
I am just looking into everything before rolling my first character in 15 odd yeas .. just curious, is it due to restriction on the EQ free accounts?
This is in no way meant as a flame, just your typical neub question :)

Thank you

Khatilly
02-05-2015, 01:40 AM
For me it was characters that I can't play. Created a ranger while I was gold can't play her now because I'm silver again. That and the constant advertisements about upgrading to gold just killed it for me.

pliny the elder
02-05-2015, 01:58 AM
Come here to play the game you grew to love. Play there to grind aa's and skip 15 years of expansions. The choice is yours!

captnamazing
02-05-2015, 02:04 AM
I started here for nostalgia, I stayed for friends. and pixels.

Mistle
02-05-2015, 02:25 AM
Kunark era EQ is way better than modern EQ.

Deadmantis
02-05-2015, 02:31 AM
The "free" version of EQ Live has changed way too much for my liking. The old world zones just don't look the same. If changing Freeport wasn't bad enough, Ocean of Tears is now an abomination.

Everything there up to about lvl 70 is a cakewalk with mercenaries and defiant gear, anything past that requires 3 boxing or if you're lucky, a pickup group.

Bottom line for me though is nostalgia. P1999 is the closest thing to how it used to be.

Speedi
02-05-2015, 02:43 AM
I stopped playing live like 5 months ago to come here. To me it's more fun cause of the community. What makes MMO's great are people. And live has gotten so big, you don't have that social experience as much anymore.

Ziggy
02-05-2015, 02:54 AM
mercs totally ruined eq, and pay to win made it unbearable

applesauce25r624
02-05-2015, 03:24 AM
BAN

Clark
02-05-2015, 03:44 AM
This servers always been good. Even in it's lesser times it remains a fun place to play.

Paleman
02-05-2015, 03:46 AM
because its not the game I started playing in the first place. also SOE devs make alot of promises and never follow through.

Tankdan
02-05-2015, 04:16 AM
Because on Test server they stopped giving expansions for free. Im not going to shell out 3 figures to play EQ Live.

Spud
02-05-2015, 04:29 AM
Because this is classic

kaev
02-05-2015, 04:42 AM

Yeah. Not only are the pixels here are far higher quality than those crummy mass-market SOE pixels, but they're friendlier too. I simply can't imaging living without my p99 pixel pals. I get by with a little help from my friends.

Skillslam
02-05-2015, 06:13 AM
cause live and WoW are too hard for me

korzek
02-05-2015, 06:28 AM
P99:
-Cons: 1 button for most classes, huge death penalties, long run and down times.
-Pros: Nostalgia, get to do the things you never did in classic like get wear a fungy or use a manastone. Easy to find a group (Love that part).

Live:
-Cons: Very hard to find a group, mostly soloing/moloing till last 10-15 levels. All old school content pretty much a ghost town except last 2-3 expansions. Have to pay $ to see end game.
-Pros: Melee classes have evolved to have a lot more abilities and utility. A lot of AAs, augs, and achievement to keep progressing your character that'll keep you having something to do for months even at end game.

In the end EQ is really about community which you'll need in both versions of EQ to keep having fun. P99 to relive the old days of gaming or Live to pay money and play with more things to click on.

kunarking
02-05-2015, 06:36 AM

^^nailed it

myriverse
02-05-2015, 07:50 AM
Live EQ has mercs, boxing, power bloat or whatever you want to call it (seriously, I look at the stats of even some mid-range items and my mind melts), and lot of other things that just seem unappealing to me.

EQ had become less desirable to me by 2004. I probably would have continued to play, but City of Heroes came along. I'd probably stay here if they decided to progress into even GoD... unless that City of Titans thing ever launches.

Confit
02-05-2015, 08:06 AM
When I started playing in 1999 I was 13 years old with the attention span of a fork. I did some raiding here and there but didn't seriously stick with one character until around Luclin/PoP. So it's nice to do this content again with a set main and one alt.

Plus the nostalgia factor. This is the game I fell in love with as a kid and love it even more as an adult.

Swish
02-05-2015, 08:35 AM
posting in a troll thread - very subtle op ;)

eqgmrdbz
02-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Only reason i tried logging into Live was to see my old pixels, I would love to play with them again, but the game is not the same, everything is given to you, or you have the option of paying to win. Also for some reason when i was playing my characters i would get dropped constantly. Fact is P99 is EQ like it was designed from the beginning, hard and vast. We have issues with being stuck in Kunark, but does that make the game less fun? at least not to me, i'm still logging on and playing.