PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know why maximizing EQ crashes the game?

Hagglebaron
02-03-2015, 05:33 PM
I asked in tech support as well but no luck, hoping someone knowledgeable here sees this and can assist.

The game always launches in windowed mode, and when I try to maximize it the game freezes and crashes. I also cannot see someone's gear when I right click them to inspect (it still /con's them).

I downloaded Casey's "everquest titanium red99", extracted the game's files to C:\EQEmu, downloaded and extracted the latest patch file thing (V36) into the titanium directory (choosing to replace all files it prompted me for), then made a shortcut of the EQGame icon and added "patchme" to the end of the target line. Then I use said shortcut to launch the game and log in. Figured maybe I installed something wrong or downloaded a wonky version of Titanium (note, I am experiencing these issues on my main on blue, if that has any bearing).

Anyways any help is greatly appreciated, I've had no luck thus far with this.

Whirled
02-03-2015, 05:36 PM
My son had an older PC (gone now) that did pretty much that. We wrote it off as some video card glitch & just played windowed on that computer. On an even older one the character would not move properly - looked like a speed hack since you just hovered around. Was funny to see too. Sorry this don't help much but I gets yer pain.

/toggleinspect on
/toggleinspect off
doesn't work?

Ele
02-03-2015, 05:37 PM
I also cannot see someone's gear when I right click them to inspect (it still /con's them).

/toggleinspect on

Ele
02-03-2015, 05:42 PM
You can also edit the eqclient.ini located in the main EQ directory.

Find the line

WindowedMode=TRUE

and change it to

WindowedMode=FALSE

then save the file and restart EQ.

You may also need to adjust the resolution settings in the same file to your monitor settings (should be near the bottom), but try the WindowedMode setting first.

[VideoMode]
WindowedWidth=1440
WindowedHeight=900
Width=1152
Height=864
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=1152
HeightWindowed=864

Hagglebaron
02-04-2015, 02:44 AM
Where do I see my monitor settings?

Paleman
02-04-2015, 02:47 AM
yeah you cant really maximize the window, you have to fiddle with the resolution so it fits inside whatever resolution your monitor is. so if you have your monitor set at 800x600 you need to set it under that resolution

Hagglebaron
02-04-2015, 02:57 AM
Argh lol why is this so complicated just getting the game to be full screen, I don't get it.

So I need to go into the game and set the resolution at whatever my monitor is?

Or how do I do what Ele was talking about with the ini file?

Barnes
02-04-2015, 03:16 AM
You can also edit the eqclient.ini located in the main EQ directory.

Find the line

WindowedMode=TRUE

and change it to

WindowedMode=FALSE

then save the file and restart EQ.

You may also need to adjust the resolution settings in the same file to your monitor settings (should be near the bottom), but try the WindowedMode setting first.

[VideoMode]
WindowedWidth=1440
WindowedHeight=900
Width=1152
Height=864
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=1152
HeightWindowed=864

Go to program files, look for Sony double click, then double click again on EverQuest, and near the top should be a file called " eqclient" that is the file you must change with Eli's instructions above.

Hagglebaron
02-04-2015, 05:33 AM
So I just use the numbers he posted? I thought I needed to find the numbers specific to my laptop's monitor and use those.

Videri
02-04-2015, 07:15 AM
I had the same problem. Here's what fixed it:
1. Find out your screen resolution with this site (or others): http://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com
2. Follow the instructions in part 1 here (copy+pasted below): http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94928

"Go to your EQ folder. Find the file eqclient.ini and open it in a text editor (i use notepad, its the simplest to use)

hit ctrl+f, type windowedwidth, you should see something like this:

WindowedWidth=1280
WindowedHeight=768
Width=1280
Height=768
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=1280
HeightWindowed=768

change it to this:

WindowedWidth=800
WindowedHeight=600
Width=800
Height=600
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=800
HeightWindowed=600

I'm using 800 x 600 here, but you may need to fiddle with that a bit. If 800 x 600 isnt working, try using your monitors native resolution instead. Eventually, you will get a combination that works, just keep trying."

I went straight to using my monitor's resolution. I hope this helps.

myriverse
02-04-2015, 09:40 AM
I also cannot see someone's gear when I right click them to inspect (it still /con's them).
Could be that the Inspect window is appearing off screen (the X/Y positions are too high/low for the monitor's resolution). In the uifiles, check the appropriate default.ini file (in whichever ui folder you're using).

You'll see something like this:
[InspectWnd]
XPos1024x768=392
YPos1024x768=0

Change the values to fit.

MilanderTruewield
02-04-2015, 10:45 AM
Borderless Gaming. Play in windowed mode, but it will be full screen.

Ele
02-04-2015, 11:24 AM
So I just use the numbers he posted? I thought I needed to find the numbers specific to my laptop's monitor and use those.

No, you need to modify them for your screen's resolution. Those just happened to be the figures in my eqclient.ini for the flash drive I happened to have with me.