PDA

View Full Version : Circlet of Shadow camp

Griffball89
01-29-2015, 09:55 AM
So i was looking on the wiki and it looks like this item drops off a mid 30s mob. What i'm trying to find out is is it very hard to camp around that level? Because this is my first toon and its been very hard betweens spells and levelling to save enough for this "must have" item for my necromancer.

so what is the best way to get my hands on one of these?

Ziggy
01-29-2015, 09:57 AM
level up some more and just buy one for whatever super de-flated price its selling at

Griffball89
01-29-2015, 09:59 AM
so if i get one before velious though it will never get nerfed right? or when the nerf happens will it change?

planeofdreams
01-29-2015, 10:02 AM
I agree with Ziggy, its probably easier to save and buy one. I don't know from direct experience, because I bought mine, but I have heard that the Circlet is usually camped. They are sold pretty often in EC, and by the time you can solo the camp you should be able to afford one.

Edit: Get one before Velious and you're golden.

Daldaen
01-29-2015, 10:05 AM
so if i get one before velious though it will never get nerfed right? or when the nerf happens will it change?

Correct.

Most people do that camp for the Idol from the Chief. They will kill Bodyguards for a chance at the Gauntlets of Potence.

Generally what this means is they will kill several bodyguards before they get a chief to spawn with an idol. Which means they will get a few Circlets and because they are lore, Circlets do occasionally rot.

If you are patient you can hang out there and maybe scoop one up this way. However it is likely faster to just level up and pay 1-2k for one.

Crawdad
01-29-2015, 08:43 PM

The pre-nerf and post-nerf Circlets are actually totally different items.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Circlet_of_Shadow
versus
http://wiki.project1999.com/Circlet_of_Shadows

Since mobs will heal through walls, you probably want to be 50+ to camp a CoS. You'll be better off either just leveling or farming HGs/Seafuries and buying one--with patience you can get it for less than 2k.

Master Roshi
01-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Honestly, with kunark being around as many years as it has there are going to be so many more of these pre-nerf circlets than there were on live, especially with everyone knowing the nerf is coming.

Kushie
01-29-2015, 09:01 PM
Just buy one when you have the money, they aren't getting nerfed before velious so you're fine.

Fregar
01-30-2015, 03:44 AM
The mobs may be lvl 30 ish but you need to be MUCH higher level to safely solo this place.
That's because mobs are packed, and there's dangerous casters in the packs.

As other said, faster to farm cash than getting to appropriate level.

What you can do is go inviz to the camp and try to get one from the peoples camping idol of the thorned.
Circlet is lore ans often rotting.
I went there once to get one from my sk, and some nice druid gave me a circlet for free o.0 (got lucky that day I guess)

Clark
01-30-2015, 07:21 AM
level up some more and just buy one for whatever super de-flated price its selling at

Swish
01-30-2015, 07:41 AM
I'm a big supporter of "camp it if you can". Learn not to rely on EC and you'll be a better/knowledgable player for it.

Right now we have a minority of people with characters in their 50s who barely know what spells they have, what they do, and just went ezmode and tooled up in EC.

Also, questing/camping your own gear is classic ;)

Poosammich
01-30-2015, 01:40 PM
Also, questing/camping your own gear is classic ;)

skootr
01-30-2015, 02:24 PM
Good luck with that. I've peeked my head into the camp the last two nights. Someone always on it. Last night there were 4 people on the camp. I've decided I'll just save up the money to buy it, too many neck beards perma-camping the area.

Bodybagger
01-30-2015, 02:35 PM
The majority of gear on your first character should be looted not purchased imo. That experience is what makes the game classic.

If you could start from lvl 1 with all BiS gear, you'd be bored and quit in a week. It's about the adventure. Go camp it out.

Try camping stuff out on red server in all self looted gear, against super twinks... so much fun! No reason to EC quest life away

Griffball89
01-31-2015, 01:32 PM
Yea but i played back in classic and got self looted gear and i need to pick up a CoS before the nerf hits which means ill probably have to buy it

polishanarchy
01-31-2015, 03:02 PM
There's nothing wrong with buying it. Like others have said, you'll be able to afford one before you can camp it. Though just to note, I did camp it later on when getting one for my SK, ended up walking away with idols and Gauntlets of Potence...and bought the second one anyway.

Thulack
01-31-2015, 03:30 PM
Yea but i played back in classic and got self looted gear and i need to pick up a CoS before the nerf hits which means ill probably have to buy it

It doesnt get nerfed til many months (4+) into velious. Shouls have plenty of time to get levels and work your way down to the camp and get one that will eventually rot.

And to swish: EC and Gfaymart are classic as well. Just because you seem to not like EQ economy doesnt mean it wasnt classic.

uygi
02-01-2015, 03:58 PM
There are a gargantuan number of manastones on this server; even with the huge number that are doubtless on now-banned characters, there will always be a live market for them. CoSs will be that times ten thousand. There are so many of the damn things that they're currently near-worthless. After the nerf happens there will still be plenty around but they won't be [virtually] free any more.

I have a hard time imagining a P99 were there's a real shortage of prenerf CoSs. They're a by-product of farming idols and gauntlets, which have much greater demand. Only necros and SKs need them, and we don't have THAT many SKs and necros here. All* current necros/SKs have theirs. I have an extra sitting in the bank and I'm sure plenty of others do too. I think that if P99 were to eventually progress beyond Velious, supply of CoSs would start to run short. But that's a big "if" and it would probably be at least 5 years from now!

Griffball89
02-01-2015, 07:18 PM
If you have an unused extra would you be willing to sell it to me on the cheap?

fullmetalcoxman
02-01-2015, 09:12 PM
There are a gargantuan number of manastones on this server; even with the huge number that are doubtless on now-banned characters, there will always be a live market for them. CoSs will be that times ten thousand. There are so many of the damn things that they're currently near-worthless. After the nerf happens there will still be plenty around but they won't be [virtually] free any more.

I have a hard time imagining a P99 were there's a real shortage of prenerf CoSs. They're a by-product of farming idols and gauntlets, which have much greater demand. Only necros and SKs need them, and we don't have THAT many SKs and necros here. All* current necros/SKs have theirs. I have an extra sitting in the bank and I'm sure plenty of others do too. I think that if P99 were to eventually progress beyond Velious, supply of CoSs would start to run short. But that's a big "if" and it would probably be at least 5 years from now!
There are probably enough circlets sitting in banks waiting for velious that every necro and sk on the server could have two.

A) they've been farmed to hell and back
B) everyone knows when they are going to get nerfed.

I vote the price drops when velious gets released and 1000 of them go on sale the first day.

Swish
02-01-2015, 09:16 PM
And to swish: EC and Gfaymart are classic as well. Just because you seem to not like EQ economy doesnt mean it wasnt classic.

You're really busting my balls lately Thulack :p

You're right though, perhaps what I meant to emphasize was that you get more out of camping items yourself over just killing some Nybright sisters til they're green or some other plat farm camp and then heading to EC with the spoils.

uygi
02-02-2015, 01:23 PM
There are probably enough circlets sitting in banks waiting for velious that every necro and sk on the server could have two.

A) they've been farmed to hell and back
B) everyone knows when they are going to get nerfed.

I vote the price drops when velious gets released and 1000 of them go on sale the first day.

Fun story: There was some shit with Droga when Kunark dropped and a guild that has effectively not existed for years locked the whole thing down and had all the early circlets (among other things). Some bozo with no understanding of the classic timeline came to them and paid something like 40k for a circlet because he wanted a prenerf. 4 years later they're still dropping and rotting! Bet that guy feels dumb.

I have to doubt that Velious drop will affect circlet prices one way or the other. With such a tremendous glut of supply nothing is going to change. I think people will sit on them until the nerf happens, at which point the price will steadily increase depending on how many people want to sit on them for how long. If we spend 5 years in Velious era and eventually move on to other custom content or whatever, I think they would eventually get scarce and very valuable. On Live relatively minor items (CoS, HEB etc.) became tremendously valuable after a long enough time, but it took a while.