PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone play the EverQuest tabletop game?

zanderklocke
01-28-2015, 12:07 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMzY1/z/U14AAOSwq5lTmVyu/$_35.JPG

I bought the 3 base books a couple years ago off amazon (player's handbook, monster book, and dungeon master guide).

Convincing my friends to play something like this would be like pulling teeth, but the books are pretty cool collector's items. The artwork is really cool, and it's really cool to see write ups of items and monsters from the game.

Blaza
01-28-2015, 12:16 PM
The artwork is really cool, and it's really cool to see write ups of items and monsters from the game.

Whats Fippy Darkpaw's backstory?

Mentathiel
01-28-2015, 12:19 PM
I have them, but there are some issues; look at the class symbols and you can tell that they are the actual (low-resolution) assets from the game, dragged out of the S3D files and dropped into the book in all their pixelated glory.

I actually think the Everquest magic system improved the D&D system it was built on, though my friends were probably just as reluctant as yours to actually play it beyond a single scenario. In my case, they kept whining that they only understood thAC0 and that 3rd-edition was too confusing.

Kreylyn
01-28-2015, 12:20 PM
I have them all 3 as well.

Played a little bit with fellow EQers... then decided we would just play eq.

Krey

Paleman
01-28-2015, 12:39 PM
fuck that lets just larp

Mentathiel
01-28-2015, 01:01 PM
fuck that lets just larp
An EQ LARP? That could work, but only if we don't have to go 100% authentic on some of the those female Dark Elf and Half-Elf armours...

Paleman
01-28-2015, 01:04 PM
only if i can cross dress as a female dwarf

Tehwoot
01-28-2015, 01:10 PM
yuck.

Bristlebard
01-28-2015, 01:33 PM
I could never talk my D&D buddies into trying it, but I do have the 3 books and they are pretty cool reads, not unlike going through the old strategy guides and stuff.

myriverse
01-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Got the books, but I never could actually bring myself to play it.

Pint
01-28-2015, 04:00 PM
Is there a version of this for vassal zanderr? I would definitely play with you.

Pint
01-28-2015, 04:02 PM
Damn I thought it was a board game and not pen and paper, I'd still play with you though

sox7d
01-28-2015, 06:58 PM
table top game based on an MMORPG based on a tabletop game.

lol.

I read through the rules and it looked pretty flavorful as opposed to how dry the core books are for 3.5e. I've always wanted to DM a 3.5/pathfinder game in norrath with players who don't know EQ but change all the names around. I mean, think about it, all of us know pretty much every zone/item/quest like the backs of our hand. You could just draw maps/place mobs from memory and they could open world that shit fluidly.

Portasaurus
01-28-2015, 07:03 PM
Maybe we can meet up in a tavern somewhere in Norrath and simulate ourselves playing this tabletop game on a simulated bar table?

I suggest Rivervale.

At that point it would be an MMORPG meta-game based on a tabletop game based on an MMORPG game based on a tabletop game.

Seriously, though. We need another EEQQ (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167741) session again soon!

Bristlebard
01-28-2015, 07:11 PM

lol.

I read through the rules and it looked pretty flavorful as opposed to how dry the core books are for 3.5e. I've always wanted to DM a 3.5/pathfinder game in norrath with players who don't know EQ but change all the names around. I mean, think about it, all of us know pretty much every zone/item/quest like the backs of our hand. You could just draw maps/place mobs from memory and they could open world that shit fluidly.

I actually DMed a 3.5 (maybe it was 3.0, I can't remember) game with my buddies in Norrath. It was fun mapping out the floors of Blackburrow on graph paper for their first dungeon experience :)

Unfortunately I TPKed the party while they were en route to Kunark cause they refused to accept a defeat at the hands of some pirates and I wasn't quick enough on my feet back then. Actually, thinking about it, it wasn't a TPK. Most of the party went down with their ship, but someone had gotten off the ship and gone to an island in TD to explore before the ship was sunk... lol.

drelk001
01-28-2015, 07:32 PM
An EQ LARP? That could work, but only if we don't have to go 100% authentic on some of the those female Dark Elf and Half-Elf armours...

me and my brother did something similar, when our parents kidded us of the computer we went out back and pretended we were in EQ... he was a drunken half elf rogue (he played a dwarf warrior in game) and I was a halfling druid (I played a DEnecro in game) was fun until it was winter and I had to get shoes on and stuff (I was like 6years old :P)
ahhh.. the memories cant wait to do it with my children :P

Xer0
01-28-2015, 07:37 PM

lol.

Based on a MUD that's based on a tabletop*

Burrito
01-28-2015, 09:47 PM
I've actually read through a ton of these simply for the lore. I have 0 idea how to actually play the talbetop game, but I know it does involve sitting, and the haste section looked insane. Don't know if the rules are weird- or you just do crazy math for it.

Mentathiel
01-29-2015, 07:20 AM
I know it does involve sitting, and the haste section looked insane. Don't know if the rules are weird- or you just do crazy math for it.
Fast weapons and hasted people attack more often than slow weapons and slowed people. If you can do basic subtraction on the fly, you're good. I believe we have a similar mechanic in P1999 actually...

sox7d
01-29-2015, 01:15 PM
I've actually read through a ton of these simply for the lore. I have 0 idea how to actually play the talbetop game, but I know it does involve sitting, and the haste section looked insane. Don't know if the rules are weird- or you just do crazy math for it.

Badguy has ac of 15

you roll a 20 sided dice or "d20"

you get a 11, but you have a strength modifier of +1 and an enchanted sword of +1 and the bard used courage song or whatever the fuck which gives you another +2

your attack (where ATK in eq derives from) roll adds up to 15, which means it's successful against ac 15

roll damage based on weapon (dagger d4, staff d6, longsword d8, battleaxe d12) plus any damage modifiers.

that's how much damage you do.

and then some lame bullshit about skills, spells and resistances which gets pretty mathy

Burrito
01-29-2015, 02:25 PM
Fast weapons and hasted people attack more often than slow weapons and slowed people. If you can do basic subtraction on the fly, you're good. I believe we have a similar mechanic in P1999 actually...

you are absolutely right. For some reason I remember haste in the game involving tons of fractions- but there is just a table of effects per level of haste- that can affect delay that works in conjunction with the iterative attack table.

On my first quick pass I thought there was fractional math to do which I am completely wrong.

Looks neat- I'd definitely be down to give this a go.

fastboy21
01-29-2015, 06:48 PM
nothing sounds like more fun than table top poop socking...