PDA

View Full Version : Velious Release News

Littlegyno 13.0
01-26-2015, 11:41 PM
Rogean: But what happens if you plan everything and then the server gets ddos'd into a large crater

Rogean: You might want to pay a visit to eashan then

Rogean: *** I'm about to post that *** on the front page of P99, I could give a *** about people who threaten to ddos the server

Rogean: Seriously though he does own and carry firearms so I really wouldn't go knocking

Rogean: Anywhosies.. hesitant to release velious while there is an active ddos threat.. so we need to find a solution for that
Rogean: and this isn't some silly kid spending ten bucks for a bot army
Littlegyno: can we donate more for ddos protection?Rogean: Well
Rogean: since you mention it

Rogean: we already pay for a level of ddos protection from our data center, but to protect against a seriously funded attack, we would need protection upstream.. those kinds of solutions run in the tens of thousands
Rogean: We may, but we're still gathering information and evaluating options.

Rogean: and I really really hate to collect that amount of money and still not even garauntee we can stop it. You have BILLION dollar companies being taken offline all the time by the groups like anonymous and lulzsect, etc..
Rogean: @Littlegyno not right away but we would feel out the community to see the response. If it's positive we would announce a date. Keep in mind these companies make you sign 1 year agreements but we may have an option for a 30 day refund. If that's the case we need to time it very well
Rogean: yea that was absolutely crazy with the kickstarter.. did I tell you guys how much p99 players alone raised?

Rogean: even though nobody ended up paying any of it

For you blue dipshits. The rest of stream was listening to two retard guild leaders associate the law of thermodynamics with the blue99 raid scene. Truly cringeworthy material.

Byrjun
01-27-2015, 12:12 AM
Yeah I heard about the ddos threat delaying Velious a few days ago. Really sad that someone would spend money to piss off a few thousand people who just want to play EverQuest. There's a special place in hell, if you believe in that kind of stuff.

Oleris
01-27-2015, 01:14 AM
so velious is ready?

Nuggie
01-27-2015, 01:17 AM
Oleris - no. lots of stuff on the super list not tested yet.

Oleris
01-27-2015, 04:36 AM
btw, you missed the line where Rogean dropped the persons name that is threatening to d-dos the server.

Rayzor84
01-27-2015, 10:26 AM
Rogean: But what happens if you plan everything and then the server gets ddos'd into a large crater

Rogean: You might want to pay a visit to eashan then

Rogean: *** I'm about to post that *** on the front page of P99, I could give a *** about people who threaten to ddos the server

Rogean: Seriously though he does own and carry firearms so I really wouldn't go knocking

Rogean: Anywhosies.. hesitant to release velious while there is an active ddos threat.. so we need to find a solution for that
Rogean: and this isn't some silly kid spending ten bucks for a bot army
Littlegyno: can we donate more for ddos protection?Rogean: Well
Rogean: since you mention it

Rogean: we already pay for a level of ddos protection from our data center, but to protect against a seriously funded attack, we would need protection upstream.. those kinds of solutions run in the tens of thousands
Rogean: We may, but we're still gathering information and evaluating options.

Rogean: and I really really hate to collect that amount of money and still not even garauntee we can stop it. You have BILLION dollar companies being taken offline all the time by the groups like anonymous and lulzsect, etc..
Rogean: @Littlegyno not right away but we would feel out the community to see the response. If it's positive we would announce a date. Keep in mind these companies make you sign 1 year agreements but we may have an option for a 30 day refund. If that's the case we need to time it very well
Rogean: yea that was absolutely crazy with the kickstarter.. did I tell you guys how much p99 players alone raised?

Rogean: even though nobody ended up paying any of it

For you blue dipshits. The rest of stream was listening to two retard guild leaders associate the law of thermodynamics with the blue99 raid scene. Truly cringeworthy material.

Which law of thermodynamics u slack jawed simpleton?

Catashe
01-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Yeah I heard about the ddos threat delaying Velious a few days ago. Really sad that someone would spend money to piss off a few thousand people who just want to play EverQuest. There's a special place in hell, if you believe in that kind of stuff.

I agree with this one.. Why would someone bother trying to DDoS a server where during peak on the weekends has 1200 on it.. Ain't they got anything better to do? Go fuck with Sony/Playstation shit.. They are used to it lol.

After all, after what? 4 years this March of Kunark.. I'd figure anyone who plays on Blue would be begging for Velious...Even the ones who probably wouldn't see a day in ToV in their lives on this server, myself included....

Doors
01-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Best way to test super list velious things is to release it considering not many have been on the beta.

Frieza_Prexus
01-27-2015, 12:47 PM
btw, you missed the line where Rogean dropped the persons name that is threatening to d-dos the server.

Don't leave us hanging.

Oleris
01-27-2015, 04:23 PM
Don't leave us hanging.

around 15 minutes in the youtube VOD.

Littlegyno 13.0
01-27-2015, 04:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/00rrnUW.jpg

Oleris
01-27-2015, 04:39 PM
I looked up the supposed D-doser last night and it the first result that showed up was a cop that was fired for shooting someone. No idea if it's the same individual, but Rogean did say he had a gun.

Kushie
01-28-2015, 04:18 AM
I bet his/her ddos threats would stop if we got more shakey earthquakes.

Give me pixels.

myriverse
01-28-2015, 08:23 AM
So Winter's never coming.

Oh well...

quido
01-28-2015, 08:33 AM
If Eashan were to suddenly not exist anymore, could we get Velious sooner?

Turp
02-17-2015, 09:30 PM
Oleris - no. lots of stuff on the super list not tested yet.

that list will never get done its a joke.

Pretty sure the community would fund this. Try it Rogean.
around 15 minutes in the youtube VOD.

why not just type it?
scared of a internet bully lol

khanable
02-17-2015, 09:32 PM
Who is Eashan and why does he have this sort of power?

also TIL there is a p99 irc, gonna go idle in it now to seem like I'm important

Susvain2
02-17-2015, 10:33 PM
Eashan, Blink, Sominus

some fine IB & FE scum ruining the server for everyone

Swish
02-17-2015, 10:59 PM
Another Velious hype thread, set the release date back another month or two - confirmed "too hot" to release just now.

Skittlez
02-18-2015, 01:18 AM
Another Velious hype thread, set the release date back another month or two - confirmed "too hot" to release just now.

Doil_Boil
02-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Name and shame

Loke
02-18-2015, 01:01 PM
Let me preface this by saying that if Eashan is threatening ddos he is 100% in the wrong, and it takes a mega douche to get enjoyment out of something like this. That being said...

Can the server staff stop figurative getting in bed with unstable douches? I'm almost certain that if Eashan is threatening ddos it is the result of some perceived slight he received from the staff/community, and his past contribution to the project undoubtedly justifies his actions in his mind. It was the same story with Uu/Cyrius, Uthgaard and amelinda. Anyone who has talked to any of those people for more than 5 minutes could tell they're not champions of rational discourse and probably shouldn't be trusted as integral parts of any cooperative effort. Indulging their whims with special treatment or favors only compounds problems as well.

Eashan spent years on this server bragging about how buddy-buddy he was with the staff, and while he was always vague about the details, he routinely used his sway with whoever it was he was friends with to expedite the resolution of petitions and things of that nature. Basically what I'm trying to say is that if he is now threatening ddos, it is likely a problem of our own creation by giving him special treatment because he donated to the project.

I don't really know the financial situation of p99, especially back when Eashan was supposedly making donations, so for all I know p99 might not have survived this long without him. So with that in mind it isn't my intention to point fingers or cry over split milk, but now the server population seems much larger and I've seen a lot of people talk about donating, so hopefully we're at a point where we don't need individual benefactors to provide large portions of the required funding. Hell, now that im not a poor college student i'd even throw some $$$ at a solution. I don't have a solution to the ddos problem, but I hope going forward we can be a bit more thorough in choosing who we allow to become instrumental in the operation of the server.

Duckwalk
02-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Wipe it clean. Release Velious in a year and half (or whatever) on proper timeline.

Exmo
02-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Just make every IP go through a really easy verification process.

And Automated write the IP tables of the firewall.

loramin
02-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but ... why not just release it and let the DDOS happen? Those kind of attacks can only go on for so long, and then everyone could enjoy Velious after.

The only people hurt by that plan would be the neckbeards who want to take a week off when Velious is released (sorry Gyno); everyone else wins.

fadetree
02-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Just make every IP go through a really easy verification process.

And Automated write the IP tables of the firewall.

Yeah whitelist and captcha ftw.

harnold
02-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but ... why not just release it and let the DDOS happen? Those kind of attacks can only go on for so long, and then everyone could enjoy Velious after.

The only people hurt by that plan would be the neckbeards who want to take a week off when Velious is released (sorry Gyno); everyone else wins.

loramin has the right idea.

Sadre Spinegnawer
02-18-2015, 06:04 PM

Which law? Please, dear God, tell me it wasn't Zeroth. They weren't saying Zeroth rules p99 did they? Cause if it was Zeroth... oh man. Oh man!

Frankly, I think p99 is just a Boltzmann Brain. I can prove it too! Have you ever seen the server when it didn't exist? I thought so. QED mutherfuckers.

Rogean
02-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Let me preface this by saying that if Eashan is threatening ddos he is 100% in the wrong, and it takes a mega douche to get enjoyment out of something like this. That being said...

Can the server staff stop figurative getting in bed with unstable douches? I'm almost certain that if Eashan is threatening ddos it is the result of some perceived slight he received from the staff/community, and his past contribution to the project undoubtedly justifies his actions in his mind. It was the same story with Uu/Cyrius, Uthgaard and amelinda. Anyone who has talked to any of those people for more than 5 minutes could tell they're not champions of rational discourse and probably shouldn't be trusted as integral parts of any cooperative effort. Indulging their whims with special treatment or favors only compounds problems as well.

Eashan spent years on this server bragging about how buddy-buddy he was with the staff, and while he was always vague about the details, he routinely used his sway with whoever it was he was friends with to expedite the resolution of petitions and things of that nature. Basically what I'm trying to say is that if he is now threatening ddos, it is likely a problem of our own creation by giving him special treatment because he donated to the project.

I don't really know the financial situation of p99, especially back when Eashan was supposedly making donations, so for all I know p99 might not have survived this long without him. So with that in mind it isn't my intention to point fingers or cry over split milk, but now the server population seems much larger and I've seen a lot of people talk about donating, so hopefully we're at a point where we don't need individual benefactors to provide large portions of the required funding. Hell, now that im not a poor college student i'd even throw some $$$ at a solution. I don't have a solution to the ddos problem, but I hope going forward we can be a bit more thorough in choosing who we allow to become instrumental in the operation of the server.

The Eashan situation is even simpler than any of this, and it could have happened with anyone. Long story short, Eashan donated some money in 2010 to help us order a new server and get off the ground with a new colocation host during the first DDoS attacks we were under. He was then caught boxing and was banned. We unbanned him 5 months later, something we did for everyone at the time if they apologized and requested it. He was then banned again for RMT. He wants the server to burn at velious launch because he isn't unbanned. His excuse for RMT'ing was that he had to do it to make his donation money back because he wasn't getting favors anywhere else.

Doors
02-19-2015, 09:10 PM
So basically if you unban him he won't DDoS the box?

?

arsenalpow
02-19-2015, 09:16 PM
So basically if you unban him he won't DDoS the box?

?

no negotiating with terrorists

Nuggie
02-19-2015, 09:19 PM

+1

Release it when it's ready. Let him do it for a while. We get past it.

Doors
02-19-2015, 09:25 PM

Terrorist is already winning if they're delaying velious because he's going to DDoS the box.

khanable
02-19-2015, 09:26 PM
send that guy some rage packets

sox7d
02-19-2015, 09:36 PM
Donating then being upset you can't 2-box and RMT sounds like a date rapist that rationalizes himself by saying "I bought her dinner and drink, she owes me."

By the way, do we know who this guy is? Is there any way to take legal action against him?

Sadre Spinegnawer
02-19-2015, 10:46 PM
I don't mean to speak out of turn, but let's say the staff, who invest a fair deal of everything into keeping this little gig going, could find out who is making actual threats to harm this little gig they got going on for all of us nice people. If that could happen, surely someone on the staff has a friend, or knows someone who knows a friend, who could act as an intermediary, and have a brief little polite conversation with the person or persons to iron things out, no?

I'm just saying, sometimes the personal touch goes a long way.

But that's just me. I just play here. None of my business. I gotta go back and finish cleaning up the back room at Bites N Pieces now. It's delicious sausage, isn't it?

We make it fresh.

tristantio
02-19-2015, 11:39 PM
Pretty sure DDOS (and even the threat of one) is against the CFAA and you could take the party to court if you could prove they threatened to DDOS (and doubley so if they actually went through with it).

Probably cheaper to pay a few thousand to a lawyer and bankrupt/jail them than to spend tens of thousands on anti-ddos protection.

Assuming they are a US, Canadian or other country with anti-computer abuse laws citizen (I guess if they live in Russia or China you'd be SOL though).

sox7d
02-19-2015, 11:57 PM
Pretty sure DDOS (and even the threat of one) is against the CFAA and you could take the party to court if you could prove they threatened to DDOS (and doubley so if they actually went through with it).

Probably cheaper to pay a few thousand to a lawyer and bankrupt/jail them than to spend tens of thousands on anti-ddos protection.

Assuming they are a US, Canadian or other country with anti-computer abuse laws citizen (I guess if they live in Russia or China you'd be SOL though).

On second thought, what's to stop him from getting some russian to do the DDoS for him afterwards?

Turp
02-20-2015, 12:11 AM
By the way, do we know who this guy is? Is there any way to take legal action against him?

Tiggles had dinner with him.
Pretty Sure someone knows.
Would they tell, is the question...

enough crazys on p99 you wouldn't need to do shit but just release a little info...

Godefroi
02-20-2015, 12:15 AM
What amount of money are we talking about here for proper DDoS protection?

I mean, I'm ready to donate the price of a full price AAA game to get velious released, if not more, so that's 60 bucks. And I believe I'm not alone.

Rogean shouldn't be shy to let us know about this, if 50k need to be raised to get proper DDoS protection, I believe it's something the community can achieve.

The issue is that this is an "amateur" project, and the staff are taking care of it as a "very time consuming" hobby, with an almost professionnal structure.

However, people who are seriously involved in the RMT business on p99 make a lot of money, at a massive scale and of course with a 0 tax fiscality.

Everywhere a lot of money is to be made, you will have people with the means and the money to blackmail/threaten/attack you would you get in the way of them making more money (Ban hammer - p99 is the only EMU with a very aggressive anti RMT policy - unlike EZ, hidden forest etc).

Our issue right now is the fact that p99 is an amateur project, with people considering themselves as RMT professionnals and acting as such.

Having the community fund "professionnal" DDoS protection seems the only way to rebalance this situation.

Swish
02-20-2015, 12:24 AM
Don't underestimate a group of banned nerds. Get the best, they'll find a way to bring the servers down if they're determined.

Not saying that people shouldn't donate, but for that... I'm not so sure it's foolproof.

Pokesan
02-20-2015, 01:40 AM
How bad would the DDOS be?

Days weeks months? Is Eashan an infinite pile of money?

At some point delaying the release is more harmful than enduring the alternative, right?

^Non factor non raider hottakes above

Baldur
02-20-2015, 02:46 AM
Terrorist is already winning if they're delaying velious because he's going to DDoS the box.

I agree with this.

You can't negotiate with terrorists and you shouldn't change your behavior because of their threats. What is the reasoning behind delaying velious because one guy has threatened a ddos attack?

And if you know who it is and they live in the US, then let them do it and turn them into the authorities. It is against the law...

Littlegyno 13.0
02-20-2015, 02:54 AM
Emperor Rogean,

Have you thought of any funding program we could create to help pay for this advanced ddos protection? There's options such as kickstarter, gofundme, or asking donations directly from forums.

Let me know Emperor.

harnold
02-20-2015, 03:03 AM
The rmters goods become less valuable when Velious is released so he threatens ddos so it doesn't happen. When the ddoser starts ddosing he makes no money at all. Giving in to his demands is the worst thing you can do here. Release velious, survive ddos, and go back to normal.

sivax
02-20-2015, 08:34 AM
Wait was this the guy behind http://cogdev.net/blink/ ? Only wondering cause 2 of those names reminded me of it.

applesauce25r624
02-20-2015, 03:45 PM
On second thought, what's to stop him from getting some russian to do the DDoS for him afterwards?

yup

aren't most ddos servers hosted in countries w/o extradition treaties ?

Man0warr
02-20-2015, 04:06 PM
Costs money to use those DDoS services, less money than it takes to protect against them unfortunately.

squarez
02-20-2015, 04:35 PM
What amount of money are we talking about here for proper DDoS protection?

I mean, I'm ready to donate the price of a full price AAA game to get velious released, if not more, so that's 60 bucks. And I believe I'm not alone.

Rogean shouldn't be shy to let us know about this, if 50k need to be raised to get proper DDoS protection, I believe it's something the community can achieve.

The issue is that this is an "amateur" project, and the staff are taking care of it as a "very time consuming" hobby, with an almost professionnal structure.

However, people who are seriously involved in the RMT business on p99 make a lot of money, at a massive scale and of course with a 0 tax fiscality.

Everywhere a lot of money is to be made, you will have people with the means and the money to blackmail/threaten/attack you would you get in the way of them making more money (Ban hammer - p99 is the only EMU with a very aggressive anti RMT policy - unlike EZ, hidden forest etc).

Our issue right now is the fact that p99 is an amateur project, with people considering themselves as RMT professionnals and acting as such.

Having the community fund "professionnal" DDoS protection seems the only way to rebalance this situation.

Since a DDoS attack would interrupt RMT business, why not set a fixed release date and let the RMTers deal with the people threatening DDoS.

Fight evil with evil!

Swish
02-20-2015, 04:43 PM
Nothing new, but for anyone who hasn't seen it: Live DDoS attacks in progress... (http://map.ipviking.com/)

Safon
02-20-2015, 05:03 PM
How do servers get anywhere at all if all is takes is one disgruntled person with some cash and free time to bring them down?

So if this Eashan guy is determined enough, that's it for P99? This is how it ends?

Bill Tetley
02-20-2015, 05:26 PM
tell his mommy what he's up to

azeth
02-20-2015, 05:33 PM
Are they in Massachusetts?

Nebi
02-21-2015, 09:16 AM
The Eashan situation is even simpler than any of this, and it could have happened with anyone. Long story short, Eashan donated some money in 2010 to help us order a new server and get off the ground with a new colocation host during the first DDoS attacks we were under. He was then caught boxing and was banned. We unbanned him 5 months later, something we did for everyone at the time if they apologized and requested it. He was then banned again for RMT. He wants the server to burn at velious launch because he isn't unbanned. His excuse for RMT'ing was that he had to do it to make his donation money back because he wasn't getting favors anywhere else.

got to get that jumbers <Goon Squad> ddos protection

wormed
02-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Oooh man, velious!