PDA

View Full Version : The Begging skill

Whirled
01-22-2015, 05:34 PM
ok, this game was made with a Begging button & I dont think I've ever used it...ever.

Am I missing some cool or fun quest where u must use this skill?
I mean to go through all the process of making this button/skill into the game as default.. I would think it had some purpose.

Anyone care to share the knowledge?

kaev
01-22-2015, 05:35 PM
I never heard of any actual use for it other than rp/entertainment

bktroost
01-22-2015, 05:37 PM
It does generate a portion of hate, does it not?

zanderklocke
01-22-2015, 05:38 PM
You can aggro mobs with it.

Ezalor
01-22-2015, 05:42 PM
you can get like 1 copper from a guard in freeport on a successful use. or get a hard resist and he will attack/kill you.

you can try to use it on a mob for +hate but you have to turn off auto-attack before using it for a miniscule payoff.

Kreylyn
01-22-2015, 05:45 PM
I have it with a hotkey. When I start an attack, it's the first thing I do before auto attack. So for every mob I attack, at least one beg chance is used for skill increase.

It only generates hate (and will give you a text msg from the mob when it does) on a crit failure.

Can't remember it ever working to get a coin yet though.

Krey

Crawdad
01-22-2015, 05:59 PM
If you luck out you can get 1gp/1pp. I remember bored Mages/Necros skilling up on pets while medding up, and some warriors using it for aggro... but really, its just one of those quirky, "Hey wouldn't it be cool if you could do X" things in EQ that they put in but never really added to the game.

bktroost
01-22-2015, 06:22 PM
You can also generate minuscule hate on a non-kos mob to kite it with the intention of having another class (rogue, ranger, monk, non hate casting classes) to throw something at it and steal aggro. (this is of course assuming they don't have a Bracer of the Hidden and the mob is not worth using a Soulfire).

Brut
01-22-2015, 07:16 PM
You can use it to make canoes question your audacity to beg from them.
Think it goes through Z axis also, aggroed sebilite guardian from below with it at the locked door once.

indiscriminate_hater
01-22-2015, 07:22 PM
You can aggro mobs with it.

zanderr do you have a soulfire? i don't see it on your magelo

Voland
01-22-2015, 07:40 PM
If you luck out you can get 1gp/1pp. I remember bored Mages/Necros skilling up on pets while medding up...

My necro used to beg from his pet for a long time and never got a single skillup from it.

zanderklocke
01-22-2015, 09:45 PM
zanderr do you have a soulfire? i don't see it on your magelo

Nah. I don't raid seriously enough to get one and would never want to blow the charges or do the quest again. I happen to like the Freeport Militia. Reaper I can recharge, and I rarely see myself feeling justified enough to click this. 1K is still a fair amount of plat to me. Anything 500p or above is discretionary to me.

Pint
01-22-2015, 10:12 PM
I never heard of any actual use for it other than rp/entertainment

it got used for part of the flagging quest in gates of discord, thats the only time i remember having to use it.

Swish
01-23-2015, 03:43 AM
Skillups only come from human targets on P99 iirc. Ironically you can skillup on beggars if you wanted to ;)

Whirled
01-23-2015, 09:43 AM
it got used for part of the flagging quest in gates of discord, thats the only time i remember having to use it.

I thank you all for your input & shared knowledge once again. It's nice to know it had some use at some point even though it being implemented day1 and could have had so much more. Think of all the rogue quests or other contacts this could open up for underground dealings or just behind the scenes dealings in other ways.

NPC says 'Hey why u begging from me? Didn't I ever tell you about the [last guy] that begged from me?

Player somebody says 'wtf plx last guy d00d

NPC says ' THIS is what happened to the last guy'

You have been hit for 32000dmg
You have been slain from begging .. why?

Daldaen
01-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Yea begging was used in the Breakdown in Communicstions quest (the chain augment quest, probably the best aspect of GoD). Wasn't used for any flagging that I remember though.

Was used for a few random tasks here and there in later EQ but it never really saw a true purpose.

Xer0
01-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Relevant

Holy shit is /gu comics still around? I still rememebr "Knowledge Vs. Faith" shit cracked me up;

Was this the one that followed the adventures of a wood elf ranger girl and some shady iksar she met in Kelethin? I cant remember what it was called but IIRC it was a very similar animation style as what you just posted

Whirled
01-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Dragon magazine iirc

Tasslehofp99
01-23-2015, 12:42 PM
You could use begging to single pull efreeti lord djarn out of his room in combination with the sneak skill.

kaev
01-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Holy shit is /gu comics still around? I still rememebr "Knowledge Vs. Faith" shit cracked me up;

Was this the one that followed the adventures of a wood elf ranger girl and some shady iksar she met in Kelethin? I cant remember what it was called but IIRC it was a very similar animation style as what you just posted

You're thinking of WTF Comics

webrunner5
01-23-2015, 01:42 PM
ok, this game was made with a Begging button & I dont think I've ever used it...ever.

Am I missing some cool or fun quest where u must use this skill?
I mean to go through all the process of making this button/skill into the game as default.. I would think it had some purpose.

Anyone care to share the knowledge?

Good way to die to a Guard since the nerf. :eek:

Elmarnieh
01-23-2015, 02:24 PM
There was one quest that I know of that used it. It was in GoD I believe. You did some run around quests in every zone and got this one drop from the boss of every zone and it was very skill intensive and at the end you got either a good augmentation item or a good range slot.

When I left in the game this was the longest quest ever in the game.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=2876

This was the augmentation gem I got as rewards:
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE AUGMENTATION
Augmentation type: 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Slot: HEAD FACE EAR NECK SHOULDERS ARMS BACK WRIST RANGE HANDS PRIMARY SECONDARY FINGER CHEST LEGS FEET WAIST
AC: 8
STR: +6 STA: +6 CHA: +6 WIS: +9 INT: +9 AGI: +9 HP: +110 MANA: +80
SV FIRE: +9 SV DISEASE: +9 SV COLD: +9 SV MAGIC: +9 SV POISON: +9
Required level of 65.
WT: 0.0 Size: TINY
Class: PAL RNG SHD BRD BST
Race: ALL

MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE AUGMENTATION
Augmentation type: 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Slot: HEAD FACE EAR NECK SHOULDERS ARMS BACK WRIST RANGE HANDS PRIMARY SECONDARY FINGER CHEST LEGS FEET WAIST
AC: 10
STR: +12 DEX: +12 STA: +12 AGI: +12 HP: +140 ENDUR: +100
SV FIRE: +12 SV DISEASE: +12 SV COLD: +12 SV MAGIC: +12 SV POISON: +12
Required level of 65.
WT: 0.0 Size: TINY
Class: WAR MNK ROG BER
Race: ALL except ERU HIE

Kreylyn
01-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Skillups only come from human targets on P99 iirc. Ironically you can skillup on beggars if you wanted to ;)

Half my skill ups have been in the Sarnak Fort on the mobs there. There may be a limitation, or maybe you just meant humanoid type mobs (no animals, insects, so on...)???

Krey

mgriff02
01-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Half my skill ups have been in the Sarnak Fort on the mobs there. There may be a limitation, or maybe you just meant humanoid type mobs (no animals, insects, so on...)???

KreyI've gotten plenty of skill-ups on non-humanoid mobs, like rats and beetles. You can't skill up on something that you've aggroed though, has to be before you pull it.

Mentathiel
01-23-2015, 04:23 PM
http://www.wtfcomics.com/ maybe?

maskedmelon
01-23-2015, 04:53 PM
On live I used to beg from my pet and while I heard tell of players who garnered platinum pieces and fine steel from theirs, mine was never so generous :(

myriverse
01-24-2015, 09:13 AM
IIRC, CHA affects how much $$$ you get. That might be a myth though.

Swish
01-24-2015, 10:21 AM

Krey

Yeah I always had it as stuff that speaks, says "Stop thief!" etc when PP'ed, rather than moss snakes and player pets.

mccraw5
01-29-2015, 12:10 PM
Used most effectively to convince wife to come back after she leaves your ass for obsessively playing a 15 year old video game.

Tameth
01-29-2015, 04:42 PM
Barrel Barge in oasis use to be targettable and could skill up begging and taunt with it. Now the Barge only shows up on track but can't target it..

Feanoir
01-30-2015, 09:18 AM
Used most effectively to convince wife to come back after she leaves your ass for obsessively playing a 15 year old video game.

Didn't quite work for me, with maxed out skill.... I even tried some +cha gear from banana republic and a new haircut......now if i just had a set of puppet strings....

myriverse
01-30-2015, 02:36 PM
Didn't quite work for me, with maxed out skill.... I even tried some +cha gear from banana republic and a new haircut......now if i just had a set of puppet strings....
Even at max skill, there's a big chance of aggro.