PDA

View Full Version : Kunark

nilbog
09-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Greetings, citizens!

Since the launch of the server, the majority of development time has been spent working on existing content and features. Recently, I have read posts indicating players believe Kunark is not being developed due to a lack of patch notes or changelog. I am here to set your mind at ease. In actuality, Kunark development is going very well, but notes are not published, because the changes made aren't for existing content.

Comparatively, Kunark adds 26 zones to the existing 79 in classic. For several months, I have trained new content developers and ensured the necessary framework to complete Kunark. As content manager, I estimate Kunark zones onward will look at least 50% better than what you currently experience. You might ask, "What does 50% better mean for me?". Simply, a methodical approach to zone creation is producing a much better gaming experience.

Is Kunark development hard? Why isn't it complete?
Some players have asked, "Isn't Kunark complete on other emulators? Why don't you use that?" My answer is, Kunark is no where close to complete on any non-soe server. The stock eqemu databases, while providing an outline of Kunark, fall incredibly short in terms of details and accuracy. For every spawngroup, there are npcs that need faction, loot, stats, spells, procs, level variance, respawn times, pathing and possibly perl scripts or merchant lists. These steps are taken for every individual npc type. When all of these details come together, the zones come to life.

Content development isn't the only aspect of Kunark that requires artisans. Game mechanics, and long-lost features of EQ are being recreated. (e.g. Soulbound items, original melee disciplines, a functioning stamina bar). This is where the source developers come into play. They do an excellent job at not only fixing the existing bugs, but also fabricating new features, and answering source requests from the content developers.

How is development time spent that isn't Kunark!?
The current development team is extraordinary compared to what we started with. Unforeseen bugs, exploits, and stability issues emerged that could have only been found by the plethora of characters created. Not only have game mechanics needed to be fixed or fabricated, but also administrative tools to deal with such a playerbase. The stock EQemu source and database were inadequate to deal with the needs of 900+ individuals at a time. I give special thanks to Rogean for not only ensuring the server hardware goes vroom-vroom, and also creating administrative features that are necessary for us to deal with anything in an efficient manner.

When's Kunark?!
Now that some of the specifics have been described, I'm sure what you are really wanting to know is when Kunark will be released. I can't provide an exact date for release, but I can answer a few questions. "Is it more than 50% done?" Yes. "Is it coming out next month?" No. "How fast is work proceeding?" Compared to prekunark, work is being completed at a rapid pace. As we near completion, I will be able to provide a better estimate or date. It is the #1 priority of all content developers, and work is done every day. As I said above, expect a MUCH nicer looking product. We have started preliminary zone "QAing" for the completed zones, and as they are finished, we will be opening these zones in a progressive order for... beta testing!

Kunark beta testing?!
Yes. We will be opening a test server, specifically dedicated to Project1999 beta testing. This will grant us beta testing reports, and directly answer questions about how Kunark is looking. The zones will be released in a progressive order, starting from the Iksar newbie area. This ensures low level content is tested as thoroughly as everyone's favorite dungeon. This system will most likely allow you to copy your current character for testing, as well as the option to create an Iksar character. Details to follow.

I want to take this opportunity to give thanks to the content developers.. for without them, there's no possible way I could do this alone. Spirell, Wenai, and Xzerion have contributed the most content changes for Kunark to date. These are the people behind the scenes making pages full of changes the player's don't see. Thanks guys.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2nlxxmw.jpg (http://i56.tinypic.com/2nlxxmw.jpg)

Shrubwise
09-21-2010, 08:33 PM
I image google searched "Well done" and found this. Enjoy!!

http://www.project1999.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=363&stc=1&d=1285116758

Kambris
09-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Second!!!

Gorgetrapper
09-21-2010, 08:34 PM
You guys are like fucking gods.

Penoy Lives
09-21-2010, 08:35 PM
nilbog rocks my world

Nedala
09-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Awesome!

Ridic
Are you going to try and release a second server? I'd imagine.. it would get extremely crowded by then.

Icecometus
Thanks man! Looking forward to Beta testing.

Enderenter
09-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Bravo.

Curmudgen
As a gnome necromancer I am going to be tinkering up some shades. The future is bright!

Much thanks to all the administration!

dlunas
I love it

skaryjeff
09-21-2010, 08:39 PM
keep up the fantastic work guys! so i gather this to mean we should expect kunark in about 20 min?

Blackmeth
09-21-2010, 08:41 PM
hell ya .. ill be in the beta zones

MonkeyWrench
09-21-2010, 08:41 PM
I LOVE you. Any chance of being able to eventually transfer Iksar beta characters back to live P99?

Gorgetrapper
09-21-2010, 08:43 PM
I LOVE you. Any chance of being able to eventually transfer Iksar beta characters back to live P99?

I hope not.

Ingrum
09-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks guys. Keep up the good work!

Safety
09-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Very cool. Thanks for the update!

Tudana
09-21-2010, 08:49 PM
/bow

Thank you again for all the work you guys are doing here and allowing us to play in your play group project.

much respect!

Savard18
09-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Not to be a wet blanket at all, but a serious question, shouldn't the Hole / Warrens come out before Kunark?

Epic mobs are in the hole.

I don't care either way, I started playing EQ the day Kunark came out so I am all for it, and I don't remember the order before Kunark.

Alawen Everywhere
09-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Not to be a wet blanket at all, but a serious question, shouldn't the Hole / Warrens come out before Kunark?

I don't care either way, I started playing EQ the day Kunark came out so I am all for it, and I don't remember the order before Kunark.

Epics came out about six months into Kunark.

nilbog
09-21-2010, 08:59 PM

Not a chance.

shouldn't the Hole / Warrens come out before Kunark?

-Hole came out in june 2000.. making it 2 months after Kunark release.

-Warrens came out in Velious.

-Epics were released in like September 2000, making them 5 months after Kunark release.

Original eqlive patch notes can answer a lot of questions about the timeline.

Savard18
09-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Cool, thanks.

And don't take that question the wrong way, this server and the work you guys do to maintain it is appreciated.

Xadion
09-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Great to hear something about Kunark!!!

As I am sure everyone is, **Tosses hat into beta test ring**

Thanks to all who help get everything going and going!

Haynar
09-21-2010, 09:23 PM
We continue to make source changes too, that do not make patch notes. Example, adding support to the code and database for soulbound items. Remember those? Gotta have those for Kunark, unless you want to sit your butt outside seb waiting indefinitely for a rez.

Also in support of additional server load, we look at ways of optimizing the source, to be able to handle additional players. These kinds of things usually don't make patch notes either.

There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes. But we are making leaps and bounds of progress towards the release of Kunark.

Looking forward to it.

Haynar

Brain
09-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Appreciate the time and efforts by all of you helping :)

Kassel
09-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks so much for your hard work on this server.

-Epics were released in like September 2000, making them 5 months after Kunark release.

Do you plan on following the live patch timelines or do you intend on opening Kunark with epics, (man i love those quests!)

Thanks !

Dantes
09-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Excellent update. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop.

jyaku
09-21-2010, 10:41 PM
it's good to see some info on the progression of the.... progression. love your work

Noleafclover
09-21-2010, 10:44 PM
kassel, I can field this one - they plan on following the timeline always, with very few if any exceptions.

And thanks a ton for the update as well :)

valorborn
09-21-2010, 11:00 PM
We continue to make source changes too, that do not make patch notes. Example, adding support to the code and database for soulbound items. Remember those? Gotta have those for Kunark, unless you want to sit your butt outside seb waiting indefinitely for a rez.

Haynar

No I don't actually remember Soulbound items but I didn't start until late Kunark and was a noob until Luclin came out. Can someone explain?

Also will the epic quests not be made available until 5 months into Kunark's release?

Ephron

MiRo2
09-21-2010, 11:04 PM
No I don't actually remember Soulbound items but I didn't start until late Kunark and was a noob until Luclin came out. Can someone explain?

Soulbound items were items that remained in your inventory after you died. The only ones I can remember were the keys to Sebilis/Howling Stones/Veeshan's Peek.

RKromwell
09-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Time line question...Jolt was not in the game when RoK came out. Will rangers be made to suffer without it until the correct time?

Malrubius
09-21-2010, 11:50 PM
You guys are amazing - thank you for the update and a BIG thank you for not just rolling out the watered-down Kunark that the other eqemus have.

Kunark?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7TZGRCl2PCo/SZwHrh1pecI/AAAAAAAADiI/5yjnJHGzoAA/s400/chuck-norris-thumbs-up.jpg

Brund the Decrepit
09-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Just the fact that Nilbog mentioned KUNARK in a post makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside....

AWESOME

Kava
09-22-2010, 01:54 AM
Very awesome, thanks for your hard work guys and gals!

Erasong
09-22-2010, 02:37 AM
I dunno if spirell is still with us, but id like to thank you 3 top contributors specifically, and the im sure many unnamed devs who have been working on this. Xzerion you specifically since I know you're busy as all shit irl too. Thanks for your blood and sweat dude.

quenyar
09-22-2010, 03:45 AM
I think I just wet myself... Nilbog and co. : You fucking ROCK!!! Thanks for giving us all the opportunity to not only experience this incredible game again, but also for inviting us all to help you achieve your dev goal: creating as accurate a feeling of the original game as possible!

My hat is off to you guys!

Deemo
09-22-2010, 04:18 AM
cuddos! Awesome work :)

thanks!

luzbel
09-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Muy bien, great job!

Eyry
09-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Way to go guys! I am sure you put many minds at ease by releasing a statement about Kunark. Keep up the good work!

Ralph
09-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Really excited. Been having fun since day 1 guys! Thank you

bluejam
09-22-2010, 10:19 AM
I came.

aggresor223
09-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Great job guys =) Can't Thank your enough for all your hard work! sign me up to beta! would like to put my own time in to lend a hand!

jerkstore
09-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks, I really appreciate your work. (and everyone else's)

Messianic
09-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Flippin awesome. Thanks to all the staff.

Shannacore
09-22-2010, 02:37 PM
whats a kunark

internalprime8
09-22-2010, 02:46 PM
I just hope I can hit 50 quick enough to enjoy at least a day of not having to worry about leveling before I have 60 to look forward to ><

KilyenaMage
09-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Also will the epic quests not be made available until 5 months into Kunark's release?

It'll be a couple of months at least before anyone is able to kill VS (or VS Remains) or Trak anyways.

Tseng
09-22-2010, 05:43 PM
20 MINUTES!!!!

<3 devs

Aarone
09-22-2010, 06:39 PM
20 MINUTES!!!!

<3 devs

I live for Tseng's 20 minute timer!! :D

Reneb
09-22-2010, 06:48 PM
You developer guys made me cry when I first logged on to the server. And again every time I've logged on since. I love you.

Kender
09-22-2010, 07:32 PM
whats a kunark

well a Kun is a japanese honorific.

is used by persons of senior status in addressing or referring to those of junior status, or by anyone when addressing or referring to male children or male teenagers. It can also be used by females when addressing a male that they are emotionally attached to or have known for a long period of time. Although kun is generally used for boys, that is not a hard rule. For example, in business settings, young female employees may also be addressed as kun by older males of senior status.

so i guess at a loose translation, a Kunark is a boat for apprentices?

Zufious
09-22-2010, 07:34 PM
You guys are awesome!

oldhead
09-23-2010, 02:39 AM
When's Kunark going to be ready?

oldhead
09-23-2010, 02:40 AM
i had too ;p

Keep up the good work devs.. keep the code flowing and the drama to a minimum.

Ashintar
09-24-2010, 08:45 AM
You guys are doing an amazing job!

anthony210
09-24-2010, 11:24 AM
You guys are doing an amazing job. The job you guys do for free is so much better than the job Sony does with paid employees. Keep up the good work!

Vaken
09-25-2010, 12:43 AM
SUPER STOKED for kunark...cannot wait, gotta start buying my iskar monk gear already....ahh the good ol days

troll
09-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Really excited. Been having fun since day 1 guys! Thank you

Excited now!??! BANNED! hahaha

Spirell
09-25-2010, 04:34 PM
I dunno if spirell is still with us, but id like to thank you 3 top contributors specifically, and the im sure many unnamed devs who have been working on this. Xzerion you specifically since I know you're busy as all shit irl too. Thanks for your blood and sweat dude.

I am still kicking around :D

Ridic
09-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Excited now!??! BANNED! hahaha

Rofl.. classic.

I can't wait to see the boats on launch day. muhahaha.

Hodge
09-27-2010, 04:04 AM
Rofl.. classic.

I can't wait to see the boats on launch day. muhahaha.

can't wait to see druid jack up prices for ports to kunark.

Tseng
09-27-2010, 11:32 AM
can't wait to see druid jack up prices for ports to kunark.

I wasn't planning on it, but now that you mention it....

Kender
09-27-2010, 02:39 PM
i prefer running everywhere. it makes the world a bigger place

Arclanz
09-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Mere words cannot convey the amount of thankfulness that we feel. Thank you for your hard work and dedication. It is simply incredible, awesome, amazing, inspirational, moving, and much more!

Mooshoo Pork
09-27-2010, 06:41 PM
As a completely new player of Everquest, wow what a difference this is between my 2-3 years of trying other online games. Thanks for letting me into a EQ setting where its not all about eye candy or flying manta ray thingys.

This is definitely not your average "Oh just clik your mouse like crazy" game!

Good job guys!

Braveguard
09-28-2010, 07:33 AM
The Kunark is a lie!

xplodr
09-28-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm looking forward to coming back to project1999 when kunark goes live. Thanks for the hard work guys!

Puyen
10-09-2010, 08:46 AM
This is what sets project 1999 team apart from all others. They are dedicated and always looking to make things better. Rather then throw something together they take their time and make a masterpiece

Supreme
10-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Whats funny is that you can go to any other Emu and explore those same kunark zones now...

But for some reason i am excited about doing it on p1999....

guineapig
10-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Whats funny is that you can go to any other Emu and explore those same kunark zones now...

But for some reason i am excited about doing it on p1999....

I was thinking the same thing.... but honestly I can't be bothered with those other servers. :)

ooantipostoo
10-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks wenai! I know you had alot to do with kunark and of course thankyou to all the other Dev's

hope to see you on Tribes more

Dominick
10-14-2010, 07:23 PM
The P1999 version will have more content enabled.

maestrom
10-15-2010, 01:39 PM
You guys really are amazing.

sgallaty
10-18-2010, 04:05 PM
So, if we're going to recreate the true kunark release experience you have to have a 6 hour window where the item loot tables are corrupt, and fire beetles in qeynos drop cloaks of flame and innoruuk loot.

Are you going to adjust the RFS and moss covered upon release, or follow the patch schedule? I want to know, because my iks war levelled with the RFS =)

I was a kunark beta tester, and I'm looking forward to testing kunark / iksar factions here. I enjoyed the original release, and the challenge of playing a character that was hated -everywhere-.

Kunark was also my favorite expansion, with velious a distant second.

h0tr0d (shaere)
10-18-2010, 09:44 PM
I hope they just go ahead and adjust the items post 'nerf' and avoid the camp craze and the headaches and the eventual patches that are needed. No need to not learn from the mistakes, or patches in the past.

sgallaty
10-18-2010, 11:09 PM
I hope they just go ahead and adjust the items post 'nerf' and avoid the camp craze and the headaches and the eventual patches that are needed. No need to not learn from the mistakes, or patches in the past.

Making adjustments up front would be great, but I expect that human nature being what it is - those adjustments will only be for the negative.

It wasn't until velious that iksar started getting access to the same gear that other plate wearing classes got.

I'd love it to if they retroactively put in the adjustments that came later, but I'm expecting they'll only be the salient nerfs.

TJHooker
11-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Updated info please!

TJHooker
11-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Not even a hint? Will it be more likely that Santa will bring me an Iksar or that the Easter bunny will?

Xadion
11-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Re: Iksars and plate - iksars not wearing plate was part of their racial and why they have regen and a small AC bonus- so no they should not change all the armor to include iksar.

Re: firebeetles and god loot - that was not /meant/ to be that way- that was a total mess up- something I feel should not be replicated

Re: Moss Covered Twig etc - these where items and place and given stats intentionaly, just liked iksars not getting plate armor was intentional- just because it was changed later does not mean they did not mean to do it- they just did not see the ramifications- (although iksar getting plate in velious + is them being lazy and not making iksar versions of everything) anywho- the items that are nerfed should follow their proper drop and nerf timeline- just like Manastone Rubicite and Prenef Guise etc etc

Yes VERY eager for Kunark!

guineapig
11-23-2010, 12:24 PM
(although iksar getting plate in velious + is them being lazy and not making iksar versions of everything)

Exactly!

Were talking about creating a whole new set of gear in every zone in every expansion for as long as the game exists simply Warriors and S.K.s of the Iksar race. Honestly I can't blame them for doing this. It might have worked out better if they somehow included small races in this restriction from the start, like gnomes and halflings. Maybe if they had 2 different versions of Plate, light (with more stats/bonuses but slightly less AC) and heavy with more AC but less stats/bonuses). Or something like that.

Eventually all these games end up super standardizing their gear as races and classes get added. It's a shame really.

Phoe
11-23-2010, 01:34 PM
im excited

Pyrocat
11-24-2010, 04:34 AM
ohboyohboyohboyohboy

Noxious
11-24-2010, 10:10 PM
ohboyohboyohboyohboy

Equally excited!!