PDA

View Full Version : Rules Regarding Mobs like Quillmane

Burdoc101
01-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Hey yall,

New again to EQ and am curious of camping methods of Quillmane and rules regarding killing said mob.

I have been camping Quillmane for over an hour, sending an OOC stating my purpose of hunting said mob every five minutes and I am guild less, without a tracker, and a magician (getting cloak for my epic piece).

What safety net, if any, is there for someone like me to farm Quillimane? I camp and kill PH, Quillmane pawns, and people snipe it from me.

Is it considered a FFA mob? And is sniping allowed, but just not looked well upon?

Thanks,

Burdoc, level 30 magician, Blue server

Jitsumo
01-21-2015, 06:05 PM
I believe it is FTE with no sniping.

Burdoc101
01-21-2015, 06:20 PM
What is FTE?

loramin
01-21-2015, 06:21 PM
First To Engage (whoever agroes it first gets it).

Honestly, it's going to be very challenging for you to get a cloak without friends, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I'd really recommend getting some friends to come with you, because then you can have one person on each placeholder and then one waiting to Quill when she spawns.

If you don't have in-game friends then maybe join a guild; I know my guild (Anonymous) was doing Quill for people the other day, and they got several people their cloaks.

Kender
01-21-2015, 06:21 PM
first to engage

Sage Truthbearer
01-21-2015, 06:22 PM
I think you would have a tough time doing QM as a solo mage. If possible I would suggest waiting until you can get some friends to sit on the spawn points while you kill the PHs.

Daldaen
01-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Whoever aggros it gets it on this server. The person spawning it is irrelevant.

I would highly suggest against spending your time camping this for a few reasons.

1. At your level it will take a bit to spawn him.
2. Mage epic will require a guild for quite awhile. No reason to get this piece when, for the foreseeable future, you won't be able to get quite a few other epic pieces.
3. This camp blows to do solo. Get 2 other people sitting on spawn points and 1 ranger to run around. It makes this camp go by MUCH faster. The allure of unlimited levitate clicky will maintain through the servers life. There will always be people interested in camping Quill for cloaks.

The way you're doing it you're just setting yourself up for frustration.

Ele
01-21-2015, 06:26 PM
I have been camping Quillmane for over an hour, sending an OOC stating my purpose of hunting said mob every five minutes and I am guild less, without a tracker, and a magician (getting cloak for my epic piece).

You're gonna have a bad time unless you are the luckiest person in Norrath. You won't even know if people kill the QM you spawn, or if you are even killing the place holder.

Come back with 3 other friends and position each of them at a spawn point, while the fourth one tracks/hunts and kills the place holders.

Burdoc101
01-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the quick responses yall and the helpful tips. I will try one more day, hopefully good will and courtesy trumps the desire :P

azeth
01-21-2015, 06:47 PM
I am guild less, without a tracker

You are in for a long haul and better pray for luck without a tracker or a buddy.

There's a couple ways to do Quill fast, like the MQ sellers do. But theres only 1 way to do Quillmane effectively.

You must have at least 1 person stationed at one of 4 Quillmane spawning locations. 1 other person simply traverses the zone and kills lionesses and elephant calfs.

Without at least 1 spawn point claimed and no tracker... I mean you're killing PHs with a chance of Quill spawning and you not even knowing about it. I'm unsure how you'd even pull this off other than pure luck.

Quills spawning locs arent even on the beaten path of the majority of the possible PHs in the zone.

azeth
01-21-2015, 06:49 PM
Beyond that, you're a magician. Farm specs if you're in your 40s and Seafuries if you have your 49 pets and go make 5k-8k for the MQ payment.

Should take you a days effort and guarantee a cloak versus.... ???? time effort for no guarantee.

Burdoc101
01-21-2015, 06:50 PM
Without a tracker I know ive been a ble to spawn quillmane XD, just need to get it before anyone else does is the trick hahaha.

Burdoc101
01-21-2015, 06:51 PM
pretty easy to spawn quillmane once you know the pathing of the PH. Right through aviak ramp, north to south/south to north lioness/calf

Burdoc101
01-21-2015, 06:51 PM
with some variation of course XD

azeth
01-21-2015, 06:55 PM
There's no way I could spend a second doing a camp knowing that even if I spawned my intended target... he'd be spawning on the other side of the zone, without me even knowing, and I have no guaranteed rights to him

Sage Truthbearer
01-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the quick responses yall and the helpful tips. I will try one more day, hopefully good will and courtesy trumps the desire :P

I admire your faith in your fellow man. You should've been a Paladin.

sanforce
01-21-2015, 06:59 PM
Can the cloak be MQd? I have one sitting in my SKs bank that will never be used again.

Burdoc101
01-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Maybe we can form a raid or group and we all can get a cloak from quill, if the entire server mobs him/her then it shouldnt be a problem XD.

azeth
01-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Can the cloak be MQd? I have one sitting in my SKs bank that will never be used again.

Yes for part of the magician epic piece

http://i.imgur.com/GvRXY2K.png

loramin
01-21-2015, 07:12 PM
just need to get it before anyone else does is the trick hahaha.

Well, you "just need to get it before anyone else" N times, where N is however many tries it takes you to get the cloak. I've killed at least six or seven Quillmanes and only ever gotten the leggings, so if your luck is like mine you'll have to beat everyone at least 8 times.

Or, as others have pointed out, you could join a guild, which you'll need to do anyway if you want your epic.

Burdoc101
01-21-2015, 07:17 PM
So is every named roaming mob considered FTE?

Ele
01-21-2015, 07:36 PM
So is every named roaming mob considered FTE?

Kind of.

loramin
01-21-2015, 09:32 PM
Technically (as I understand it, and I'm no GM) you can "camp" any non-raid-mob spawn point in the game. If you plop yourself down somewhere, you "own" any mob that spawns on top of you.

For instance, if you want a Goblin Ghazuli Ring you can plop down on any Sarnak Courier spawnpoint, kill the placeholders, and if a Courier spawns there and someone else takes it you can petition. But you can only camp one (well, or two if you get the ones next to each other) spawn points; if someone kills a Courier that didn't spawn from your spawn point(s), there's nothing you can do.

So with the Quillmane/Ancient Cyclops/whatever it's not that you can't camp them. You can, it's just that:

A) they have multiple spawn points, and you can only be in one place

B) to get them to spawn you need to kill placeholders ... away from the spawn point ... and you can only be in one place

Swish
01-21-2015, 09:43 PM
Technically (as I understand it, and I'm no GM) you can "camp" any non-raid-mob spawn point in the game. If you plop yourself down somewhere, you "own" any mob that spawns on top of you.

For instance, if you want a Goblin Ghazuli Ring you can plop down on any Sarnak Courier spawnpoint, kill the placeholders, and if a Courier spawns there and someone else takes it you can petition. But you can only camp one (well, or two if you get the ones next to each other) spawn points; if someone kills a Courier that didn't spawn from your spawn point(s), there's nothing you can do.

So with the Quillmane/Ancient Cyclops/whatever it's not that you can't camp them. You can, it's just that:

A) they have multiple spawn points, and you can only be in one place

B) to get them to spawn you need to kill placeholders ... away from the spawn point ... and you can only be in one place

What level of asshattery does it need to be worth petitioning over if people aren't playing nice though?

Say you tag a seafury in OOT and some asshole wizard lands a big nuke a second later... you're gonna have to do some big shit to get the aggro back off him, send him a tell stating his mistake, and if he "didn't notice" - its probably already dead.

Does that guy deserve a talking to by the GMs? Suspension? naw... but I bet people put petitions in for minor stuff like that hoping for that kind of result.

GnashingOfTeeth
01-21-2015, 10:11 PM
naw, just wait until ppl are there spawning quill, sit on a spawn, be patient, will take many sessions, she pops FTE and burn her down, then 1 out of 7 she drops the cloak.
This is a camp of patience, or luck, or both. I have done this on 4 toons, including my mage... but I am patient.

Burdoc101
01-21-2015, 11:11 PM
I got my cloak moments ago thanks to the help of some good folks within the community XD

Burdoc101
01-21-2015, 11:12 PM
Faith in humanity, confirmed XD

GreldorEQ
01-22-2015, 12:11 AM
You're the man burdoc, way to stay positive.

Ravager
01-22-2015, 06:58 AM
I think you should pay it forward and make it rain Mod rods on all the noobs in GFay.

Bristlebard
01-22-2015, 08:35 AM
I think you should pay it forward and make it rain Mod rods on all the noobs in GFay.

Those little mana pools would scream for joy!

fadetree
01-22-2015, 09:00 AM
And there'd be lots of humorously self-killed corpses.

lllinkk
01-22-2015, 09:17 AM
Way to kill that flying horsebird bastard!

Whirled
01-22-2015, 09:40 AM
idk anyone that wouldn't want this.
http://wiki.project1999.com/Pegasus_Feather_Cloak
All/All but I'd easily hand it to an epic seeking Mage in need (if I was so lucky to see it)
+legs make great raffle in zone for anyone who is pant-less in celebration of rare pop.

maskedmelon
01-22-2015, 09:50 AM
I got my cloak moments ago thanks to the help of some good folks within the community XD

Congratumalations!! ^^

myriverse
01-22-2015, 10:04 AM
Could have only happened on Blue.

Gratz!

Bodybagger
01-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Could have only happened on Blue.

Gratz!

My lvl 7 Troll SK ended up getting to loot ring of the ancients and wear it til 25 when he finished rest of quest, on red, as a friendless newb, who was in the right place at right time, and called Chewie and friends from <Flowers of Hapiness> to come aid me. They dropped him, I looted... then I was passing by shadowed men in swamp and saw one had rapier when I was 24 or 25, got a random person with me to assist in clearing, badabing my first jboots ever, free, looted myself, handed in myself.

Then I made about 200p on another rapier that oddly dropped from a skeletal monk in rathe, our only guess is someone charmed and left it on them for storage? Regardless, basically got back my lifetime of loot whore savings and free jboots in the end :D

Miracles happen on red too.

qwerty
01-24-2015, 05:59 PM
Anyone know if WHEN Quillmane is up in the zone...will both the ele calf and lioness keep spawning? or do they not spawn when q is up

Freakish
01-24-2015, 07:28 PM
They continue spawning. Whenever i do it solo i grab the ph's run around with them on me then check before continue killing.