PDA

View Full Version : Monk or Sham - who utilizes fungi more?

Andyman976
01-20-2015, 11:54 PM
Howdy,

I recently got my first fungi and can't decide which alt to make. Does one seem to utilize a fungi more than another? I also have haste and weapons but not much cash beyond that. Just wanting to hear opinions ideas and discussions.

Thanks guys!

Swish
01-21-2015, 12:06 AM
Both are great choices - if you went iksar shaman that triple regen is <3

Andyman976
01-21-2015, 12:14 AM
It'd be iksar monk or troll / iksar sham. Ultra regen def sounds hot .

CreamyCowboy
01-21-2015, 12:15 AM
Good to PL both, even better when you get 24 with shaman to use canny.

Swish
01-21-2015, 12:17 AM
Troll = JBB and possibly (overrated) snare clickie on top...tis true.

w1zard
01-21-2015, 12:18 AM
Troll = JBB, snare clicky, higher STA for hp. Go troll. You can shrink yourself as a shaman too.

arsenalpow
01-21-2015, 12:26 AM
A shaman can at least cast regen. A fungi for a leveling monk is literally invaluable.

Andyman976
01-21-2015, 12:31 AM
But can't iksars use all the velious shaman gear? Ugh torn.

Fungi for monk definitely gives it an ability that it can't create elsewhere.

How fast do twinkled shamans solo? Surely not like a monk?

Swish
01-21-2015, 12:47 AM
But can't iksars use all the velious shaman gear? Ugh torn.

Do iksars still get screwed in Velious? I thought they kinda fixed things so that they got a fair deal.

Andyman976
01-21-2015, 12:58 AM
I thought they did too. But JBB could still be useful in luclin? Iksar have the shittiest piercing animation in game

sox7d
01-21-2015, 01:22 AM
calculate the mana/hp ratio of canni, compare that to the hp/mana ratio of heal. If it more than cancels out, sham, else, monk.

Andyman976
01-21-2015, 01:25 AM
Explain

Clark
01-21-2015, 01:36 AM
Monk if you enjoy melee classes, and a more pressured and influential role raiding.

Shaman if you enjoy caster classes, with more of a buffing and home-base role raiding.

Both classes are outstanding.

falkun
01-21-2015, 09:42 AM
Shaman are much better at end-game soloing. I personally think monk would be more fun, but you have to learn how to be a good pulling monk and not some shitty scrub DPS monk. Monk will get more mileage out of Fungi due to not being able to cast heal/regen on themselves like a shaman, but its pretty much the #1/2 item for both classes 1-60 (other top item being the epics for each class).

Fanguru
01-21-2015, 11:02 AM
Leveling-up a twinked monk with fungy and decent weapons is a fantastic feeling for the first levels. You feel overpowered happily killing red mobs without downtime in the newbie zones.

webrunner5
01-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Fungi is best for a Solo Monk, Fungi helps a Shaman a lot more in the grouping aspect.

But sure it helps them solo also, but the AC, Agi, Dex hit on the Fungi sucks when fighting toe to toe high end.. A Fungi in a Group now, high level, is sort of a waste of time figuring fights only last about 20 to 30 seconds. :eek:

Now Velious, that will be a way different story. But like I said above, better stats will probably work out better in the long run over re gen. Cleric Complete Heal sort of negates a Fungi in fights. Now everyone sitting to med, put on the Fungi to help the Healer from having to heal the Melee's as much before the next pull.. :)

HeallunRumblebelly
01-21-2015, 11:26 AM
Neither really bothers wearing it at 60. And Chardok takes all those with means to 60 with or without gear :P

Messianic
01-21-2015, 11:34 AM
1-35ish: Equal, since you have like no HP
35+: Shaman by far

Having a fungi makes soloing far easier for a monk. So does 75% bandaging. So the real benefit you get when grinding is the extra hp you get over the course of a fight and between fights. It's not as big as the built-in permanent additional mana you get as a shaman.

Tenlaar
01-21-2015, 11:39 AM
A Fungi in a Group now, high level, is sort of a waste of time figuring fights only last about 20 to 30 seconds. :eek:

So false.

indiscriminate_hater
01-21-2015, 11:44 AM
A shaman can at least cast regen. A fungi for a leveling monk is literally invaluable.

There is literally a value set for fungi tunics

Joyelle
01-21-2015, 12:04 PM
Level a monk, get him an epic and robe, then make a shaman alt and transfer fungi to it. Since you already have haste and weapons it looks like you're already more prepared for a monk without spending additional money. You won't be disappointed with either if you only want to pick one though. Both are insanely fun for way different reasons.

kurtis
01-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Iksar Monk with a Fungi at lower levels is unreal.

mefdinkins
01-21-2015, 01:30 PM
choose whatever class you want more.

EQ classes are so diverse that some people get caught up in 'grass is greener' syndrome.

Either class will be strong with fungi.

kaev
01-21-2015, 01:39 PM
You're all barking up the wrong tree. Everybody knows that Rangers need the most healing, therefore Ranger is obviously the class that benefits most from a fungi. All of you Monk and Shaman fungi hoarders are bad and you shoudl feel bad about yourselves. The only way to shed that crushing kharmic burden is to abandon your self-serving miserly ways, go out now and search the far corners of Norrath for down-at-the-heels Rangers and gift them your fungis, you know it's the right thing to do.

Cecily
01-21-2015, 02:00 PM
Especially when you're tanking on your ranger.

Erydan Ouragan
01-21-2015, 02:10 PM
Rangers need a tunic with Celestial Elixir passive effect.

kaev
01-21-2015, 02:23 PM
Especially when you're tanking on your ranger.

Nah, then you just need to keep your cleric supplied with red bull. No dozing allowed with ranger tank, blink twice and he's down. The extra 30hp between CH casts won't be enough help.

kaev
01-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Level a monk, get him an epic and robe, then make a shaman alt and transfer fungi to it.

And you'll be just like every other nolife neckbeard on this server. Everybody who is anybody has epic monk, rogue, and cleric alts these days, right?

Joyelle
01-21-2015, 02:40 PM
And you'll be just like every other nolife neckbeard on this server. Everybody who is anybody has epic monk, rogue, and cleric alts these days, right?

Or people who have been on this server for many years.

Erati
01-21-2015, 02:43 PM

Oh wow.

I just got my monk his epic the other day.

Which was after I finished lvling my epic rogue.

Which came after my epic cleric.

you pegged me good. :(

indiscriminate_hater
01-21-2015, 02:56 PM

jelly

Paleman
01-21-2015, 03:03 PM

someone needs a hug

maskedmelon
01-21-2015, 03:28 PM
You're all barking up the wrong tree. Everybody knows that Rangers need the most healing, therefore Ranger is obviously the class that benefits most from a fungi. All of you Monk and Shaman fungi hoarders are bad and you shoudl feel bad about yourselves. The only way to shed that crushing kharmic burden is to abandon your self-serving miserly ways, go out now and search the far corners of Norrath for down-at-the-heels Rangers and gift them your fungis, you know it's the right thing to do.

This ^

Go ranger or go home ^^

Daldaen
01-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Oh wow.

I just got my monk his epic the other day.

Which was after I finished lvling my epic rogue.

Which came after my epic cleric.

you pegged me good. :(

If only NPCs didn't remember their past life inventories. I would've been done with the monk epic, but nooooooo.

Oleris
01-21-2015, 04:35 PM
chaining blues nonstop levels 1-45 as iksar monk with fungi. Shamans aren't as effective leveling up with it unless you have the spiritualist hammer or some other OP 2 hander until they can use epic.

NizmerThafen
01-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Early on a monk will significantly benefit from a fungi tunic, however in later levels, especially post level 50, a shaman will benefit more.

On my 60 shaman I spam canni II, clicky, Canni III almost non-stop and the regen from a fungi tunic makes a significant difference...so does the fungi staff and torpor too. :cool:

DrKvothe
01-21-2015, 04:40 PM
chaining blues nonstop levels 1-45 as iksar monk with fungi. Shamans aren't as effective leveling up with it unless you have the spiritualist hammer or some other OP 2 hander until they can use epic.

Well, yeah. Monks aren't very effective with fungi either if you don't twink a weapon too... On shm, jade mace til 20, then PWC or GFG til epic. Add FBSS for additional OP'ness. Pull with walking sleep, use root liberally, add in pet dps at 34 and JBB at 45.

lllinkk
01-21-2015, 04:48 PM
This ^

Go ranger or go home ^^

Agreed, rangers are #1

kaev
01-21-2015, 05:04 PM
jelly

Yep, only my paladin and cleric are epic'd and I'm deeply distressed by the non-epicness of my other alts. :(

Andyman976
01-21-2015, 05:54 PM
So is a gfg and fbss decent dps on shaman?

Theoretically , post velious, is there a reason to go troll sham other than jbb?

squarez
01-21-2015, 08:34 PM
Real monks level up without a fungi (and are poor) /thuglife

DrKvothe
01-21-2015, 08:53 PM
So is a gfg and fbss decent dps on shaman?

Theoretically , post velious, is there a reason to go troll sham other than jbb?

At ~40+, mobs start hitting hard enough that stuff needs to be slowed, and shamans become pretty awesome to have in groups. At 45, you can start clicking jbb and don't need to rely on melee damage anymore. So we're really talking about the levels up to ~40-45, and for most of this lower range warriors and monks won't have the damage bonuses or combat skill advantages that bring their dps out of a shaman's league, especially when we're hasting ourselves. The 34-45 range will be when they'll start to pull ahead and you may consider root/rotting or using a stronger slow or dotting the mob while you melee.

In velious, I'm not sure shamans other than ToV raiders will cap stam self-buffed; I'll need to look at the gear. If not, the huge boost to stam that ogres and trolls get put them ahead of other races at 60 imo. A 60 troll has ~120 more hp than a 60 iksar in the same gear. Frontal stun immunity might be better at 60 than regen, but there probably won't ever be a fight that you lose as a troll where you can say, "damn, if I were an ogre I'd have lived through that". With that in mind, the path to 60 (well, the path to 60 + saving for torpor) is gonna be noticeably easier with racial regen, imo. But with GFG/fungi/FBSS --> JBB --> epic --> torpor, you're going to be OP no matter what race you go with (minus JBB for ikky =P).

Ravager
01-21-2015, 09:41 PM
Sell it and get a set of rubicite and stand around in the tunnel all day in red plate.

mr_jon3s
01-22-2015, 01:35 AM
Go Ogre Shaman or Iksar monk.

Andyman976
01-22-2015, 12:56 PM
rubicite sounds fun lol.

OGres I dunno...the but crack thing is a big deterrent for trolls. Is it the pants or tunic that do the troll buttcrack ? Stun immunity...i dunno. Only works when you are tanking.

mr_jon3s
01-22-2015, 01:07 PM
rubicite sounds fun lol.

OGres I dunno...the but crack thing is a big deterrent for trolls. Is it the pants or tunic that do the troll buttcrack ? Stun immunity...i dunno. Only works when you are tanking.

A shaman is gonna tank. Root breaks and you have a mob beating on you. Not being stunned while your able to finish casting your spell, reroot, slow, or heal yourself is a huge boon.

August
01-22-2015, 01:16 PM
I have done both with a fungi (and both of them without fungi when the fungi goes to another toon I'm hellbent on leveling).

For early levels, the monk uses the fungi way more. Just, you are an unstoppable-always-killing-mobs machine. Shamans are reliant on mana and can convert their hp to mana so they do have a way to regenerate their 'primary resource' via the fungi however it does take time / casts. A monk will naturally get the benefit, and, will do more damage than a shaman.

Shaman is one of the few classes that is augmented as it levels - most classes get weaker compared to NPCS their level as they level up, and a shaman does not. (Consider killing an even at level 5, and then killing an even at level 50).

At 45 a shaman with fungi (and JBB) becomes nigh unstoppable. Monks will still have to rest between mobs to regain hp, while a shaman can solo stables in CoM singlehandedly never stopping. Shamans power level at 50 (if you do epic - and you should if you can afford a fungi. Grind the rep in CoM from 40->50 and either pay 30k for the tear/fight or get a guild) skyrockets to the point where I can non-stop kill 4 mobs at once. Without the fungi this is still possible but you have to be much more careful.

Of course, it all depends if you want to solo or group. I'd say from a pure fun factor, take the monk all the way to 51+. You won't be soloing much after that, so get a RotWF and then give your fungi to a newly made shaman and enjoy the raw power that the class provides.

DrKvothe
01-22-2015, 03:24 PM
A shaman is gonna tank. Root breaks and you have a mob beating on you. Not being stunned while your able to finish casting your spell, reroot, slow, or heal yourself is a huge boon.

stuns don't kill shamans, push kills shamans

Malrubius
01-31-2015, 07:43 PM
stuns don't kill shamans, push kills shamans

Yep. Ogres get interrupted all the time, just ask my Ogre SK. Stun <> interrupt! Go with innate fungi.

captnamazing
01-31-2015, 07:46 PM
Sell it and get a set of rubicite and stand around in the tunnel all day in red plate.

fucking truth man. this is what eQ is all about