PDA

View Full Version : 4k Paladin Gear Guide

Seconis
01-20-2015, 04:16 PM
Hey all, I'm starting a paladin in the coming days and I wanted to outfit him as best I can. I have about 4k right now and am trying to get the most bang for my buck.

I was thinking:
Sword of the Morning
Auditor's Combine Greatsword
55/5 rings
Clay Guardian Shield

But after this, what else?

falkun
01-20-2015, 04:34 PM
5/55 rings (500), all the DW you can buy for 500pp/piece (boots, arms, bracer, gaunts, helm), baton of faith. Spend the last 900-1000p on either a sword+board combo (sotm+clay shield) or any STR gear you can pick up.

Sage Truthbearer
01-20-2015, 04:38 PM
Baton of Faith. (100pp)
This will be your main weapon for most of your career. It's a Paladin 2HB that is 30/40 and only 100pp. One of the best bangs for your buck in the whole game.

Two 5/55 Rings. (500pp)
Essential jewelry for any Knight class.

Dusty Breastplate. (300-400pp)
Great item and value for a Knight. Can't wear if Human.

Hero Bracer. (300-500pp)
You really can't beat 9 AC, +10 STR and +5 SV DIS/POIS for around 400pp.

Dark Mail Gauntlets (50-100pp)
Nice AC and a whole +50 mana for only 100pp. That's huge for a hybrid. Other option is Iksar Scaled Gloves, which are equally cheap.

Clay Guardian Shield (400-500pp)
Can't beat 25 AC and +50 HP for a shield at that price.

Ghoulbane. (500-1,000)
Great weapon to switch to for when you group in Unrest or Lower Guk, plus you eventually need it for your epic, so you may as well get it now.

Assorted Banded Armor (~100pp)
Fill the rest of your empty slots with banded or bronze armor.

Total = Under 3k.

This setup should last you a long, long time.

DrKvothe
01-22-2015, 12:38 AM
If you're not dwarf, you can pick up a full set of jarsath scale armor for free in Karnor's and Dusty Rusted Vambraces and Dusty Rusted Shackles in HS ent (they always rot).

maskedmelon
01-26-2015, 02:10 PM
Sage has some good suggestions, but I'd swap the dusty Bp for an enameled black chestplate and the ghoulbane for a sword of skyfire then pick up deep water pieces with the rest of your budget. As a paladin you are going to be tanking and (as a paladin) your dps is of marginal aid in that endeavor. It feels cool the first time you land back to back gb procs though. ^^

Durothil Skyreaver
01-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Sage has some good suggestions, but I'd swap the dusty Bp for an enameled black chestplate and the ghoulbane for a sword of skyfire then pick up deep water pieces with the rest of your budget. As a paladin you are going to be tanking and (as a paladin) your dps is of marginal aid in that endeavor. It feels cool the first time you land back to back gb procs though. ^^

EBBP: 25ac

Dusty BP: 22ac 5sta 20hp

That 3ac is going to be less beneficial than the stats on Dusty.

I'd also keep and eye out Sword of the Morning as they are easily under 1k these days.

DrKvothe
01-26-2015, 08:11 PM
Maybe the advice was meant to keep costs down? Somewhat misguided, I think, since there's plenty of cash to spare after the essentials.

Shopping list:
-2x 5/55 rings
-good ratio 1 hander for lvls 1-20
-baton of faith for 20+ when dmg cap comes off
-dark mail gauntlets for that sexy mana
-some armor to get your AC up. can be a full set of banded or a couple of pieces of high AC armor or a mix. Also hp and even mr if you care, although it won't really matter for a while.

So you could splurge and go guardian's mace or jade mace for pre-20, although you'll be perfectly fine with sword of skyfire. The best trade-able 1h in the game for pallies just ties with baton of faith for ratio, so there's really no point at all of a 1hb/s for 20+.

kaev
01-26-2015, 10:01 PM
So you could splurge and go guardian's mace or jade mace for pre-20, although you'll be perfectly fine with sword of skyfire. The best trade-able 1h in the game for pallies just ties with baton of faith for ratio, so there's really no point at all of a 1hb/s for 20+.

Disagree. Several points:

While there's little point in Bash as a caster interrupt sub-30 (hard to react fast enough because low level spells cast so quickly) you'll want the skill maxed as it's annoying to raise later. Also, when you land a Bash from behind it always stuns, so it's helpful with runners when you don't have a snarer and root breaks.

Unless you have your epic, the Sword of the Morning is pretty much the best agro weapon you'll have available once it starts proc'ing at L50. It is true that you have spell casting in addition to your weapon for producing agro, that does not mean weapon agro is unimportant.

The mobs you fight at 50+ hit hard and often, the extra 25 AC and 50ish HP from a good tanking shield (Clay Guardian Shield or Sarnak Battle Shield) is not wasted on a tank, nor are the resists on the SBS useless.

The epic is an agro magnet, be aware that this is not always ideal on a raid.

All-in-all, there's plenty of reason to raise your 1hs (I've seen Sword of the Morning as cheap as 400pp), 1hb less so unless you have access to a Rod of Faith.

Also, if budget allows for cheap DW pieces do buy them. I don't think AC is quite as powerful here on p99 as it was on live, but it still a bread-and-butter stat for tanks.

maskedmelon
01-27-2015, 04:06 PM
EBBP: 25ac

Dusty BP: 22ac 5sta 20hp

That 3ac is going to be less beneficial than the stats on Dusty.

I'd also keep and eye out Sword of the Morning as they are easily under 1k these days.

Yeah, but you could get the ebc and a piece of dw for a bit more than the dusty. 19AC> 20HP. ^^

My thought was, if budget is tight and swapping in an ebc allows you to pick up another piece of dw, then make the swap. I see that wasn't clear though in my post. I agree straight up the dusty is a better item... That is why it costs more ^^