PDA

View Full Version : Does taunt work unless you do some damage?

Swiggity
01-17-2015, 06:18 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that taunt won't succeed unless you do at least a minimal amount of damage after clicking taunt, or at any rate you generate a minimal amount of hate (i.e., even if you miss your swings). Can anyone confirm this?

In other words, my question is whether merely taunting mobs off casters is possible, or whether you have to swing once or twice as well.

Kreylyn
01-17-2015, 09:36 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that taunt won't succeed unless you do at least a minimal amount of damage after clicking taunt, or at any rate you generate a minimal amount of hate (i.e., even if you miss your swings). Can anyone confirm this?

In other words, my question is whether merely taunting mobs off casters is possible, or whether you have to swing once or twice as well.

Taunt works with out any dmg. It will move you to the top of the hate list by 1 point. If Anything else is going on to cause hate to next in line, then you will drop from top of the list. It is possible for this to happen immediately or fast enough that you don't register that your taunt works.

And example would be someone melee swinging at the mob and they have agro. You taunt, get agro just as they swing... and you would loose agro again almost immediately back to them. That could happen in a manner that appears you never got agro. Swinging would help prevent that, and is probably the base reason for that rumor.

Or taunt may just fail.

Swinging generates a flat amount of hate, no matter the dmg done.

So doing any melee along with taunt will help to keep you on top of the hate list. If your swinging more than the other guy, you will keep agro.

If you are already on top of the hate list, taunt does nothing for you... don't spam it, use it only when you are not top of the hate list.

Krey