PDA

View Full Version : Root Mechanics

Shatford
01-17-2015, 06:54 AM
I've recently started wondering how root works on P99 and haven't been able to find many resources. If anyone can answer my questions, add to the info I've posted, or point me to some quantitative facts, I'd be much obliged.

I'm finding that there is a lot of randomness involved in determining when root breaks. I've been trying the following set-ups.

Root (CLR9/SHM14) - 30 mana - 2.0 cast time
- duration: between 2 and 8 ticks (max 0:48)

Enstill (CLR29/SHM34) - 60 mana - 2.5 cast time
- duration: between 12 and 16 ticks (max 1:36)

Immobilize (CLR49/SHM51) - 80 mana - 1.75 cast time
- duration: max 10 ticks (1:00)

Things that I think affect root breaking:
- difference between root caster's and target's level
- the MR of target
- % to break when a certain dmg threshold is reached (either through direct damage spells, melee critical hits, backstabs)

While nuking down mobs with a Jaundiced Bone Bracer (casts 263 dmg cold-based nuke), I find that no matter what level of root I use, the chance to break remains the same. Here's what I've tried on several hundred level 40 mobs (Raptors in Timorous Deep):

- Tried using Immobilize exclusively
- Tried using Enstill exclusively
- Tried using Root exclusively
- Casting resist debuffs like Malisement (SHM34: gives -37 to MR/FR/CR/PR) and Malosi (SHM49: gives -59 to MR/FR/CR/PR) prior to casting Root, Enstill, or Immobilize.

So my questions are:
- is it better to use a higher level root spell? Are the chances of root breaking less than with a lower-level root spell?
- does using one particular root spell more often improve on greater root success? This seems like a silly question, but it does seem that I have greater success with the level 14 Root more than my level 51 Immobilize. Fizzles, early breakage, and resists happen with less frequency. Is this because I've "used it more" and there's some kind of variable that tracks my familiarity with one spell, and I get less failures as a result? Again, not very scientific in my reasoning, I'm just going off of perception.

Through my experimenting, I've found no matter what combo I use, it seems the chance of root breaking remains the same after the JBB nuke lands. So, in this situation, it is best to use my level 14 Root spell since it consumes the least amount of mana, and it is a relatively quick cast.

If there is anyone out there who has experienced the same, or anyone who can give me a more scientific understanding on how the mechanics of root work?

Tasslehofp99
01-17-2015, 07:29 AM
Root duration is random, however certain root spells are more powerful than others in terms of their potential duration. Any damage dealt to a mob through spell casting seems to have a chance to break root. It also seems that root can break randomly during any 'tick' of it's duration on a mob. I'm not convinced that a mob's MR has anything to do with the likelihood of root breaking on each tick, or that it has anything to do with the duration of your roots. I believe that MR is only used for the initial resist check of your root spell; I could be wrong about that though.

Root is just your basic entry level root.
Enstill is an upgrade to root.
Immobilize is meant to be a fast casting, short duration root.
Paralyzing Earth is the best root spell you get.

Nuking with any root is going to cause it to break, though.

Shatford
01-17-2015, 11:41 AM
I found this info on thedruidsgrove.org:

"General Root Mechanics: When you cast the spell, the target has a chance to making a saving throw. The saving throw depends only on the target's magic resistance and the difference between your level and the target's level."

"Each 'tick' (6 second period), the target makes another saving throw to break free of the spell. The chance of it breaking free at each tick is lower than the initial chance to resist, but if the target has high magic resistance or is close to the caster's level, the probability of breaking free before maximum duration is high."

"The target has a high chance of breaking free whenever it is hit with any spell containing a stun or direct damage component (including the initial damage component of a damage-over-time spell). Damage over time and melee spells do not appear to increase the probability of breaking free."

I just wish I knew what the % chances were of a mob breaking free for each of the root spells. It would make sense that it should have a lower chance to break free with the higher-level spells like Paralyzing Earth, but that does not seem to be the case. A mob is just as likely to break free with Root as it is with Paralyzing Earth.

iruinedyourday
01-17-2015, 04:03 PM
If you use paradise earth, your best malo and toss the jbb in the EC bin where it belongs after lvl 49.. You'll see 90% less root breaks. Root root root, malo malo malo, dot dot dot, dot dot dot, root root root, dot dot dot etc.

I tried all this min maxing mana efficiency stuff and found you just can't beat your top of the line spells. Even spending the extra mana on your best malo makes a huge difference.

captnamazing
01-17-2015, 04:50 PM
If you use paradise earth
use paradise earth
paradise earth
http://i.imgur.com/G6dPvbs.jpg