PDA

View Full Version : Charming Animals mana usage

GreldorEQ
01-16-2015, 10:04 PM
Hi all,

I just started learning how to charm animals at lvl 21 and i am enjoying it!

I typically charm a elephant in south karana then kill it and an aviak, rinse and repeat. With about 700 mana i can usually do this twice before getting low or out of mana.

Does this sound about right?

I try to get both mobs to 20%, then hide, snare or root and dd them both dead, just wondering if 4 per mana bar sounds right.

Thanks,

Grelwin, 22 druid

Estu
01-17-2015, 01:09 AM
You might be spending a bit too much mana. Try to get the monsters as low HP as you can without having either one kill the other, so you can use a lower-level DoT to finish them off (DoTs also preferable to nukes since they do more total damage for less mana). Not really any need to snare or root when you're finishing them, either; they should already be fleeing, and slowly because of low HP. Manage aggro between your pet and the other monster so that both are very close to death at the same time; you can use cheap spells like snare and flame lick for this purpose.

GreldorEQ
01-17-2015, 10:32 AM
Should i try for 10% health before i hide? Hiding usually fails on the first attempt, so i normally root mob, pet back off, then hide til it breaks.

With stinging swarm costing 65 mana and careless lighting costing 80(?), i opted for the quicker option to control flee speed without snaring. I'll give dots a try.

Maybe it will just take more practice, or maybe it gets better with 24 spells, but i have trouble keeping the mob up if i allow the elephant to attack much past 20%. Especially if the mob root breaks while I'm trying to hide.

Maybe I'll go start camping that iva ring...

Estu
01-17-2015, 11:05 AM
You could keep Invis vs Animals memmed and cast that if hide fails on the first attempt.

In any case, things will definitely get easier as you level.

GreldorEQ
01-17-2015, 10:21 PM
Already getting easier with your suggestions and more practice. Terrorize Animals is pretty cheap to cast as well, handy in a pinch.

Rayzor84
01-18-2015, 09:42 AM
I'm an enchanter but the premise is similar.

At 35 (and since 29 or earlier) I spend anywhere from 25% on a great pull to 60% mana on a challenging pull with the charm, break, nuke both down tactic. What costs mana is when the mobs, which I try to have equal level, don't fight evenly and I have to nuke extra, or if charm breaks since beguile still takes a good amount of mana.

What I do is Tasha which I'm not sure u have a comparable spell, charm, pull mob. I root the mob and keep it rooted incase of charm break. When both were around 20, or one fell below 20, I broke charm using taper enchantment and finished them off. If it worked out well I could drop each with one nuke.

I camped the iva ring and got it yesterday, and it helps. With the mob rooted I can call pet back when he's at 10 or lower, break charm and finish him using a lower level, lower mana nuke. Then I finish the mob (or vice versa, whichever gets below 10 hp). The ring allows instant break so the pet doesn't die/root doesn't wear off while I'm trying to cast taper enchant, and even that won't always break it but the ring does.

In alot of ways it's random, with breaks, damage done by each mob, etc. With a duo it's nice to charm a back stabber and have druid snare, and fear. But solo, I won't since the pet eats exp and me blur doesn't always work.

Just my 2c so far.

Estu
01-18-2015, 10:38 AM
At 35 (and since 29 or earlier) I spend anywhere from 25% on a great pull to 60% mana on a challenging pull with the charm, break, nuke both down tactic. What costs mana is when the mobs, which I try to have equal level, don't fight evenly and I have to nuke extra, or if charm breaks since beguile still takes a good amount of mana.

As an enchanter you don't have the luxury of easy aggro management that druids have; druids can very handily guarantee that both monsters get low HP at the same time, since they can snare and aggro kite when their pet is getting too low relative to the other monster. Nevertheless, you don't need to waste mana nuking down that extra HP. Instead, when one monster is low HP, break charm, kill the low HP monster, and charm the monster with higher HP to start a new fight with a new monster. Your goal should be to nuke as little as possible.

Cillaz
02-03-2015, 02:46 PM
What I do (better when you get ensnare as longer duration) is pull the mob you're charming with snare, then charm, then /pet guard where you are going to fight.
Then pull the un charmed mob with snare, and stand as far back as possible, you have enough room to re charm if you get a break. But also when you get them to 20% or below then when you hide/invis they won't move (which saves you the mana of root. You can then dot them to finish it, saving the mana of a nuke. Also you can always mele it down!
Incase people don't know : mobs that are snared don't move once they are below 20%, use this to your advantage, you can park mobs.

Cillaz
02-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Also another thing you can try : if you find a light blue to charm (as they break less) you can snare/animal fear and use the charmed pet to kill the mob. You DO only get 50% exp BUT in some cases you kill so much faster, with such little mana used (unless you get a charm break) that you make more xp in the same time as charming. It's not unusual, even from lev 14, to get 5 or 6 mobs killed from one charm.